The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Well, sazed can't.

Sazed isn't a Shard. He's Holder of two Shards, but he's a human being, not a Shard. 

@Kroen

This answer shows that your question is ambiguous. Do you really mean Shards (i.e. Devotion or Honor)? Or do you mean 'Shardholders' (which would be humans as far as we know)? Or do you mean something entirely else? 

I stand to my previous answer though it was sort of a bit sarcastic. :)

But, aside from that, there came a question up in my mind while writing this: 

Does a 'Shardholder' have to be human (or can it, too, be a Parshendi, Aimian, whatever)?

If this had been asked before, I apologize but would be happy to get a reference. If not, could that be added to a compilation of questions for BS? 

Sazed isn't a Shard. He's Holder of two Shards, but he's a human being, not a Shard.

The terms 'shardholder' is purely a fan term.  Brandon calls anyone who has a shard a shard (and he doesn't like people calling them 'shardholders' since it's too similar to 'shardbearer').

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

The terms 'shardholder' is purely a fan term.  Brandon calls anyone who has a shard a shard (and he doesn't like people calling them 'shardholders' since it's too similar to 'shardbearer').

I know, thus I write 'Shardholder.' (I'm sorry, I did this using German rules [as for 'xyz' == so-called xyz] not knowing whether this is accepted in English too.) 

(Here's the source for PM's objection.

Basically, in the Cosmere's terms, when someone holds a Shard of Adonalsium, I call that person a Shard of Adonalsium. They are imbued with the power of that Shard, but they also become the Shard. Fans can use whatever terminology they wish, but this is how I term it.

)

Maybe we should just abbreviate "Shard of Adonalsium" to "ShofAd" and use this instead of "Shardholder". :) (i.e.: Honor is the Shard and Tanavast is it's ShofAd.)  :ph34r:

So: Sazed is a ShofAd and a ShofAd is presumably a sentient being that as a general rule can sire children. That may mean that ShofAd's are not chosen for siring children, as, I daresay, otherwise Sazed wouldn't have been able to "take" and hold Ruin and Preservation, as for he's not able to sire children. 

So Sazed, the most powerful being in all of the Cosmere, having near-omnipotent powers, can't un-eunuch himself?

And also, my question wasn't about Sazed in particular.

Edited by kroen

So Sazed, the most powerful being in all of the Cosmere, having near-omnipotent powers, can't un-eunuch himself?

I would say no, for the same reason gold feruchemy wouldn't "un-eunuch" him.  Being a eunuch is part of his cognitive aspect.  Even if he could I don't think he would because one, it doesn't really matter at this point, and two, being a eunuch had a significant effect on the person he was and I don't think Sazed would want to change something so fundamental about himself.

I would say no, for the same reason gold feruchemy wouldn't "un-eunuch" him.  Being a eunuch is part of his cognitive aspect.  Even if he could I don't think he would because one, it doesn't really matter at this point, and two, being a eunuch had a significant effect on the person he was and I don't think Sazed would want to change something so fundamental about himself.

How is gold the same reason? The powers he have are well above gold feruchemy. Also, he's going to change whether he wants to or not. You can't hold a shard (or in this case, two) without having your personality changed.

And I don't even know how we got into this argument. I was asking a general question about shardholders on whether they can have children or not. I didn't even mention Sazed. There are 14 more shards besides him.

Edited by kroen

Okay, I'm adding your questions to the list as is, Kurk, Meg, and Morsk.

It is worthwhile noting, Morsk, that Scadrial is intended to be an Earth analogue, so there's going to be something similar there for everything in our world, like waffles.

"Does the weeping occur on the entire planet at once? Does it correspond to a Node in the Highstorms? Are the seasons regional or planetary"

I think node is confirmed, since it's apparently the lowpoint in a regular cycle of highstorm activity.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/k0fp8/iama_professional_fantasy_novelist_named_brandon/c2gkbfr

How often is a "weeping" in Way of Kings?   

Once a year. Opposite it in the year is an extremely powerful highstorm.

Why are the people on Roshar so cosmere-conscious? They seem to know an awful lot about Shadesmar and the Three Realms compared to the other worlds. Jasnah even used the word "cosmere" once! (Similar questions to this have been RAFO’d before)

This one I think has been answered partially

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/k0fp8/iama_professional_fantasy_novelist_named_brandon/c2gkalw

I have a few questions: 1 - Why are the people of Roshar so much more aware of the Cosmere? They seem to know more than any other world you've written to date.

1) I believe the people of whom you are speaking are mostly not native to Roshar. On another side, however, it is the first planet we've seen with three Shards, and it is the furthest along in the timeline. One final thing is that they had some very unique experiences early in the planet's history. It involves the Heralds, and various items I think would be spoilers right now.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Okay, I'm adding your questions to the list as is, Kurk, Meg, and Morsk.

It is worthwhile noting, Morsk, that Scadrial is intended to be an Earth analogue, so there's going to be something similar there for everything in our world, like waffles.

I'm sorry, but does my question have an answer? If so, what is it? If not, why isn't it added? I'd like to know what's wrong with it. After all, you're adding questions about pizzas. 

I remember Brandon talked a while ago about how someone with heart disease could make a emperor's soul style stamp they could use every day to stop that heart disease, even if they couldn't change the cognitive aspects. I imagine Sazed has more than enough power to do that.

I can imagine certain circumstances where he'd want to do it too. Suppose Scadrial got so evil and terrible that he felt there was little hope for it. He could send a child down, a sliver of himself, to fix things.

Does the strength of a Line of Vigor depend on its frequency or its amplitude?

The book says "based on how large the curve of their wave is", so I think it's amplitude.

Edited by Kurkistan

Yes, but the illustration next to it changes the frequency, not the amplitude, of the line.

It changes the amplitude a tad, actually, but you are right that the frequency changes a lot more. There's another illustration (before Ch 14) that says a Line of Vigor comes alive after "at least two waveforms" have been completed, so that leaves it up in the air a bit as to whether doing more is preferable, or even possible.

Edited by Kurkistan

Can you use Allomantic Aluminum to change lead into gold?

Allomantic Aluminium burns all your allomantic metal reserves. It has no impact on lead of any sort.

The only magics I know of that might be able to do that are soulcasting and Elantrian symbol magic. Both have the transformation attribute.

Modified the question to be more specific and use only metals that are allomantically active. 

My theory is that burning aluminum changes the identity of the available metals within a Mistborn. If not controlled they become inert, but a skilled allomancer may be able to change common metals into more useful alloys.  

EDIT: I think it's most likely that the metals just get burned up, but this question has been nagging me for a week or so. Does anyone really know how the metal reserves disappear? If the metals got turned into swiss cheese the effect on the allomancer would be identical to if they were burned without channeling any power. 

Edited by Isomere