The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I believe those were the "Mist Spirit" which I think Vin points out in Well of Ascension.  It's definitely not electrum shadows since electrum is an alloy and wouldn't be in the groundwater.

But isn't there only one mist spirit? He mentioned he saw several. Maybe Ruin caused him to see these things and they were all in his head...

But isn't there only one mist spirit? He mentioned he saw several. Maybe Ruin caused him to see these things and they were all in his head...

The second Mist spirit is likely Ruin's physical aspect, like the Mist Spirit is Preservation's physical aspect. not like Atium or Lerasium but the part that can interact with people.

Brandon originally had the idea of multiple mist spirits, before deciding that there was only one spirit that was the remnant of Leras.

I figured he just left that one description of multiple spirits, since it's alright for it to be wrong because it's Alendi's PoV and he's seeing it from a distance. But that's a complete guess on my part; this is a great question to ask.

Brandon originally had the idea of multiple mist spirits, before deciding that there was only one spirit that was the remnant of Leras.

I figured he just left that one description of multiple spirits, since it's alright for it to be wrong because it's Alendi's PoV and he's seeing it from a distance. But that's a complete guess on my part; this is a great question to ask.

Again, he had Hemalurgist spikes, and we already know Ruin can cause spiked people to see what he want. That's the simplest explanation.

Why hasn't the mist snapping unveiled any Mistborn? When Elend had the idea of checking those who were sick the most time from the mists, I thought for sure that they will be Mistborn. Turns out they were Seers. So why no Mistborns?

Edited by kroen

I haven't read in awhile, so I maybe wrong but, IIRC, the mist-snapping didn't reveal mistings, it created them. The people the mists snapped had essentially no Allomantic potential before the mists imbued them with some extra power. Mistborn are orders of magnitude more powerful than mistings, so I imagine the mists just weren't set up to create them.

Edited by Kurkistan

I haven't read in awhile, so I maybe wrong but, IIRC, the mist-snapping didn't reveal mistings, it created them. The people the mists snapped had essentially no Allomantic potential before the mists imbued them with some extra power. Mistborn are orders of magnitude more powerful than mistings, so I imagine the mists just weren't set up to create them.

Are you sure? Because I always thought the mist snapping was a replacement to beating your kids to near death. After all, it made people really sick and I thought that's enough.

Why hasn't the mist snapping unveiled any Mistborn? When Elend had the idea of checking those who were sick the most time from the mists, I thought for sure that they will be Mistborn. Turns out they were Seers. So why no Mistborns?

The mists were only snapping people with allomantic power down in the 20%->30% range. People who have that little allomantic potential can only be mistings, not mistborn, and they won't snap without mist assistance.

If you'll recall, there weren't any mistborn at all before TLR used lerasium to add extra potential to the gene pool. There just aren't any skaa with mistborn-level potential; they don't have the genetics.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

The mists were only snapping people with allomantic power down in the 20%->30% range. People who have that little allomantic potential can only be mistings, not mistborn, and they won't snap without mist assistance.

If you'll recall, there weren't any mistborn at all before TLR used lerasium to add extra potential to the gene pool. There just aren't any skaa with mistborn-level potential; they don't have the genetics.

Kelsier, Vin and Zane would disagree.

Edited by kroen

They hare half skaa, any pure skaa would not have enough potential to be Mistborn. Vin comes from a very strong line, and presumably the Venture line probably has a strong line too so that takes care of Zane.

but who was Kelsiers dad is a mystery but also probably from one of the high noble houses.

All of whom are half-noble.

And can duralumin affect Compounding?

Missed seeing this, but it's been answered on TWG.

http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=6896.0

2) If someone aluminum or duralumin burned the feruchemically charged metals, what would happen?

A: Basically the same thing as above, except with aluminum. Aluminum, they would just go away.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

They hare half skaa, any pure skaa would not have enough potential to be Mistborn. Vin comes from a very strong line, and presumably the Venture line probably has a strong line too so that takes care of Zane.

but who was Kelsiers dad is a mystery but also probably from one of the high noble houses.

And you know for a fact that there weren't any half skaa in Elend's army? seems like a stretch. 

You're missing the point, Kroen. If there were any half-noble skaa in Elend's army, they would be the exception and the mists would be incidental to them being mistborn. Also, I think it likely that the mists might actually intentionally "miss" those with innate Allomantic potential: we know that no nobles were snagged by them, despite the fact that the majority of nobles aren't actually Allomancers. This is either because they had already "snapped" (albeit unsuccessfully) or because their Allomantic potential (while unexpressed) was too high in the first place.

Since, if you recall, skaa mistings tend to snap by accident during the course of their lives, what are the odds that more than 1/16 of them had never suffered enough to snap before? The pattern is universal, so even a small group of just 16 in which no one fell prey to the mists snapped would have been noteworthy.

Because of that, I'm inclined to think that those with sufficient Allomantic potential aren't even touched by the mists. Alternatively, it could be that the mists will take those with higher Allomantic potential, but give preference to others first. Either way, you won't be getting many mistborn from the mist-snapping.

And you know for a fact that there weren't any half skaa in Elend's army? seems like a stretch. 

It's hard to know as a strict fact, but it's not really a stretch.  Any time a Noble decided to bed a Skaa, the woman was killed shortly after.  Obviously there were exeptions (Vin), but probably not many.  So it's not hard to imagine that the number of hybrids were very very low in the Skaa population.

Even in the rare event when a Noble spares the Skaa woman's life, what's the likely hood that his Allomantic lineage is still strong? Allomantic abilities have degraded over the course of The Final Empire, so there's a good chance that the few hybrids being born in such a fashion would have inherited a weak Allomantic line (Noble Father) mixed with an even weaker Allomantic potential (Skaa Mother).

Even in the rare event when a Noble spares the Skaa woman's life, what's the likely hood that his Allomantic lineage is still strong? Allomantic abilities have degraded over the course of The Final Empire, so there's a good chance that the few hybrids being born in such a fashion would have inherited a weak Allomantic line (Noble Father) mixed with an even weaker Allomantic potential (Skaa Mother).

This is very true. I have a feeling that lesser Nobles, with a lower allomantic potential, would be more likely to be lenient.  It wouldn't be as great a disgrace for them.  The Major Houses would be more strict about such things.  Zane, Kelsier, and Vin are major anomalies in the way things were done.  Kelsier and Marsh grew up as nobles, their skaa mother tricked their father into believing she was Noble.  A similar thing happened with Vin's mother and Tevidian Tekiel though he never knew he was a father.  Straff was deliberately flouting the established practice, trying to sire as many allomancer children as he could.

You're missing the point, Kroen. If there were any half-noble skaa in Elend's army, they would be the exception and the mists would be incidental to them being mistborn. Also, I think it likely that the mists might actually intentionally "miss" those with innate Allomantic potential: we know that no nobles were snagged by them, despite the fact that the majority of nobles aren't actually Allomancers. This is either because they had already "snapped" (albeit unsuccessfully) or because their Allomantic potential (while unexpressed) was too high in the first place.

Isn't it just that all noblemen are beaten to the point of near-death as children? The culture really is that thorough in doing it to everyone.

The only part I don't understand is what happens to a noblemen whose power was too weak to come out from a beating, but could still be snapped by the Mists?

Here's a quote that I think helps to answer this question.

Noblemen, despite what Spook says in this chapter, are not immune to the mistsickness. The rumor Spook is referencing does have merit, however. You see, since the mists are Snapping people and awakening the Allomantic potential within them, it will affect far fewer noblemen than skaa. Why? Because a lot of the noblemen have already Snapped. They were beaten as children to bring out the powers.

However, that won't stop all of them from being affected by the mistsickness, because the mistsickness is also awakening Allomantic potential that would otherwise be too subtle to be brought out. Pretend there's a sliding scale of Allomantic potential. 100% means you're an Allomancer—in this series, only two people have hit 100%—Vin and Elend. Buried within a lot of people, however, is enough of a touch of Preservation's power to hit, say, 50% on the relative scale of Allomantic power. These people, when beaten and made to pass through something traumatic, awaken to their Allomantic abilities.

There are a lot of people out there, however, with something more like 20% to 30%. These are the people the mists are Snapping—since the mists are, themselves, partially the power of Preservation, they can touch people and increase their Allomantic potential slightly and then bring it to the forefront.

Forgive me since I have not yet learned to quote yet.  But in the 17th Shard Q&A with Brandon last fall Windrunner asked if Nalthis already had humans on them at the time of the arrival of Endowment, to which Brandon answered "Some planets had people before the shattering."

If this is the case, was the sDNA of the existing inhabitants subsequently altered by the Shardholder to give the people their investiture or did the Shardholder simple work around the exiting sDNA?

If a flame-spreen was measured and recorded to be growing with a rate of lets say 1 cm/s in a single instant, would it with time grow to a nearly infinite size?

Would it perhaps also need to be recorded to be of a specified size at a specified moment as a reference?

If a flame-spreen was measured and recorded to be growing with a rate of lets say 1 cm/s in a single instant, would it with time grow to a nearly infinite size?

Would it perhaps also need to be recorded to be of a specified size at a specified moment as a reference?

To measure a growth rate you'd need to measure it at multiple instants!

To measure a growth rate you'd need to measure it at multiple instants!

True I'm studying a lot of math so I'm thinking in terms of Derivative growth. But if you observe it growing linearly between two moments that is close to each other. Could that work?

I know that they change size erratically, but for there to be any chance of measuring them it the first place I cannot imagine them to change so fast that its not possible to observe that.