The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Can an Awakener, with some mental gymnastics, view themselves as both the Donor and Recipient for Awakening? Like whispering "My Breadth be yours" to oneself, where both "My" and "yours" refer to the same entity. If so, is this what Vasher uses to hide his Divine Breadth within himself? Maybe with some other inert command?

If so, could an Awakener holding 20 breadths use a command and give these to themselves, making the command bring up a HuD for example (Maybe with a command like "Connect with things and reveal secrets")?

Edited by TheFoxQR

12 hours ago, TheFoxQR said:

If so, could an Awakener holding 20 breadths use a command and give these to themselves, making the command bring up a HuD for example (Maybe with a command like "Connect with things and reveal secrets")?

Receiving breaths gives euphoria but I don't remember it doing anything else.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, Karger said:

Receiving breaths gives euphoria but I don't remember it doing anything else.

The point was, in Awakening, you give your Breadths a Cognitive imprint, and then transfer these to other objects.

But in theory, if you could give Breadths to yourself, could you also Awaken yourself? Extend your Cognition?

So if normally, Breadths take the command and interpret them, forming a Cognitive basis for Awakened objects, could you... kind of... offload Cognition by Awakening yourself?

In the cases we have seen for Breadth transfer, the Command was essentially inert. It just asked the Breadths to go and become a part of the Recipient's soul, and that's it. So Euphoria is understandable, as you're literally getting an extension to your spiritweb. But could more be done there? With the right Command? Especially of both the Donor and Recipient is oneself?

With this, you could use Breadths to extend your cognitive capabilites. For example, a person can only see or hear. So you could in theory have WatchDogs/TonyStark' Sunglasses-esque capabilites, by having Breadths connect with other things through the spiritual realm and read surface level information, passing it back to you through your sight. Like... a Brains-up-Display.

Or mimic Spider-sense. Or heaven's forbid, see the future.

There is precedent to this in the Cosmere - in Allomany, burning Atium doesn't just give you information. It also expands you cognitively to be capable of processing said information.

Edited by TheFoxQR

58 minutes ago, Edgedancer_of_spirits said:

Mine is good! What would happen if someone got all the shards and investiture possible to get?

They would ascend become Andoalnasium.  They would also probably be torn apart by the different intents of the shards they were holding.

7 hours ago, Edgedancer_of_spirits said:

Adonalsium was able to not be torn apart by his different intents. If you become him then you would not tear apart. Also, Harmony managed to not get torn apart by his two shards. Why shouldn't a different person be able to restrain the shards?

We don't know if Adonalsium was a person and even if he was we have no idea how or why he got all the intents that he did.  Harmony is only holding two opposite intents and he already finds doing much of anything rather difficult and this question is RAFO bait as Rshara said.

Can you give us an idea of the pre Recreance numbers of Radiants by order?  All we know is their were only up to three bondsmiths and that Windrunners had a a lot of squires.

Is it possible to steal the entirety of some one's spiritual aspect via hemolergy and then place it in a new body or is the process too damaging?

Edited by Karger

8 minutes ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Stormlight question

assuming you could successfully keep all the oaths could you belong to multiple orders of the knights radiant 

Yes

tganchero (paraphrased)

Is it true that humans can bond to multiple spren?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

They can theoretically bond to multiple spren.

Words of Radiance Lexington signing (March 18, 2014)
1 minute ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Kaladin has a lighteyed name. What is the meaning?

There could be a number of reasons for this, but anything specific will certainly be RAFO'd.

Also, fyi, instead of double posting, what you want to do is click the Edit link under your existing post, and add any further thoughts/questions that way.

19 hours ago, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

Kaladin has a lighteyed name. What is the meaning?

I believe that Kala means storm although I would have to check Nahz's notes.  They are in Oathbringer I believe.

Edited by Karger

Questioner

Did Kaladin’s name come from anywhere in particular?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I'm sure the word paladin was in the back of my head, but it's not like he shares much with like an actual paladin. His name was Merin in the initial version and it was-- it didn't work, he wasn't a Merin and all the fans-- all the readers were like "this name just doesn't work" so I spent years hunting for the right name for him, and that's the one I ended up with. It's really based-- it's Kalak, which is the Storm-- not really the Stormfather but people y'know. Most of the names you'll find are based off one of the Heralds in some way. So he's KALA + DIN, Kalak and din is a suffix.

Isaac Stewart

We do have a meaning for it though. Can I tell them the meaning?

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh, have we canonized it?

Isaac Stewart

We have canonized it, and we have told people before.

Brandon Sanderson

Then yeah.

Isaac Stewart

It means "Born unto Eternity".

Brandon Sanderson

...I mean, it means that in the same way that names mean something, like my name means-- But when they're naming him that they aren't thinking that. What they are doing is picking one of the Heralds and making a name out of it. But my name technically means "Dweller by the Beacon", but really what it means is "He was the son of Alexander".

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Can you go into shardic "stealth mode" via storing fortune?  I believe you mentioned that one of the reasons future sight and fortune are dangerous is because they draw the attention of the shards.  When storing fortune does the inverse hold true?  Can you avoid the divine attention like this or by a similar method?

Can a bronze seeker hear the rhythms if burning while on Roshar?

Edited by Karger

Gemhearts coalesce inside Rosharan species in the same general way as Atium did on Scadrial.  If such a species (say a Singer or a Greatshell) where born and raised on Scadrial, would their Gemheart still be a gem, or would Scadrial make it crystallize as a metal?

On 7/17/2019 at 10:24 AM, Quantus said:

Gemhearts coalesce inside Rosharan species in the same general way as Atium did on Scadrial.  If such a species (say a Singer or a Greatshell) where born and raised on Scadrial, would their Gemheart still be a gem, or would Scadrial make it crystallize as a metal?

Most Rosharran species wouldn't be able to survive off Roshar.

Think of it like this: Life, will always evolve to fit better in its environment. This process never stops. For example, we developed iur eyes to see only a narrow slice of the entire electromagnetic radiation spectrum. The slice we do see is the one that is most readily accessible to us. On Roshar, Investiture is much more readily accessible, and pervades this environment. Also, the fundamental rules of physics manifest a Cognitive component in spren. So, life has evolved to use those things, helped by the fact that the very cosmic intent of Cultivation was focused and invested there. The gemhearts are an evolutionary solution to the same realmatic physics that drives fabriels - namely a way for living creatures to trap spren, ingest stormlight and create organic fabriels with effects that can sustain them. It's the same principles that can be used to make magitek on Scadrial, which will look different because of the different components that will go in it. But the fundamentals will be the same. Fabriels relate to life on Roshar in a similar way to how a mechanical Camera relates to an eye on Earth. An artificial construct in relation to an evolutionary biological one, both working on the same fundamental properties of light.

Chasmfiends for example, are possible due to two factors - firstly, Roshar is a high oxygen environment with low gravitational constant. And secondly, they have evolved an organic fabriel that reduces their weight. This is why they can sustain such massive exoskeletons.

This simply is not possible on Scadrial, because the environment doesn't have enough latent investiture for life to be able to access and use it. A chasmfiend on Scadrial would simply get squished and suffocated by the high gravity and lower oxygen atmosphere. Not to mention there wouldn't be any spren or nearly enough stormlight to drive their organic fabriels.

Since Roshar doesn't have planetary tectonics that would create gems, these gems are formed by coalescing investiture. Possibly the Shards had a hand in it. On Scadrial, this happened because the planet itself was coalesced Investiture from Preservation and Ruin.

Edited by TheFoxQR

1 minute ago, ChickenLiberty said:

What kind of gemstone would be used to soulcast something into a fungi?

In the future please check the coppermind first.

Emerald is associated with the Essence of Pulp. They are used to Soulcast plant material, like wood, moss, and grain.[12]

9 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Fungi does not fit into any of those.

true, but it is probably close enough.  and while i've heard it said that technically fungi are more closely related to animals than plants, in this case i'm not sure that would matter either since, to a layman, they seem more plant-like.

12 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Fungi does not fit into any of those.

There are also not 8 kinds of blood and I challenge you to create everything on Roshar by combining the 10 essences.  This is also not the place for this discussion.