Chaos

The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

3,959 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ScarletSabre said:

First question of the new year!

If a Soulcaster took a stainless steel ball bearing, one of the most perfectly spherical things in the universe if I recall correctly... and Soulcast it to be made of gemstone, how well could it hold Stormlight/Spren/Unmade?

I dont think thats how they work.   The gems are put inside the glass spheres so even the smallest are easy to count and carry, and are cut with facets to create the various sizes of Gems and occasionally make Perfect Gems(which are both chemically/atomically perfect and also cut to the perfect shape for containment, but it's an angular cut).  Also, You cant actually soulcast gems for in-world reasons (I think because they're always a tad Invested, at least on Roshar).

Also, Ball Bearings are still mechanically machined to relatively standard tolerances, Id go for Soulcasting Soap Bubbles to get perfect spheres. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Also, Ball Bearings are still mechanically machined to relatively standard tolerances, Id go for Soulcasting Soap Bubbles to get perfect spheres. 

Oooh, that might be even better...

Another question that popped into my head while listening to my audiobooks today - Can you Lash something to someone else? As in, make a specific person the focal point of the Lashing, rather than a direction? If so, could you lash knives to someone to basically home in on them when thrown?

I vaguely recall Szeth Lashing a section of ceiling he cut with his Blade to "a point on the horizon" rather than simply up and away... It could simply be him Lashing it in the direction of that point, I'm just curious if he could have Lashed it to a moving target if he tried.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ScarletSabre said:

Oooh, that might be even better...

Another question that popped into my head while listening to my audiobooks today - Can you Lash something to someone else? As in, make a specific person the focal point of the Lashing, rather than a direction? If so, could you lash knives to someone to basically home in on them when thrown?

I vaguely recall Szeth Lashing a section of ceiling he cut with his Blade to "a point on the horizon" rather than simply up and away... It could simply be him Lashing it in the direction of that point, I'm just curious if he could have Lashed it to a moving target if he tried.

Yes, it's called a Reverse Lashing, and is how Kaladin made an entire volley of arrows suck in and hit just his shield.  You have to maintain contact with the object you want to do the pulling, though, so you cant make things home in on a moving target that you arent touching. 

 

Question For Brandon:  Would somebody with the Ninth Heightening be able to activate other powers that require physical contact (like the Reverse Lashing) at a distance the same way they can Awaken with just the sound of their Voice?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quantus said:

Yes, it's called a Reverse Lashing, and is how Kaladin made an entire volley of arrows suck in and hit just his shield.  You have to maintain contact with the object you want to do the pulling, though, so you cant make things home in on a moving target that you arent touching.

Wow, my brain is just flatlining today o3o I completely forgot that Reverse Lashing is essentially what I was hoping for...

Tangent question to that one then!

Could Kaladin have Syl become a Sprenblade-level-toughness shield and then use a Reverse Lashing on her, similar to how Shallan was able to Invest Pattern and stick an Illusion to him? I doubt he'd be able to do it with how Invested Syl would be when she's in Blade form, but I'm now curious!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ScarletSabre said:

Wow, my brain is just flatlining today o3o I completely forgot that Reverse Lashing is essentially what I was hoping for...

Tangent question to that one then!

Could Kaladin have Syl become a Sprenblade-level-toughness shield and then use a Reverse Lashing on her, similar to how Shallan was able to Invest Pattern and stick an Illusion to him? I doubt he'd be able to do it with how Invested Syl would be when she's in Blade form, but I'm now curious!

She can/has become a shield, and even as a more limited Windspren she could do Adhesion on her own (sticking people's shoe to the floor was a common prank for her) so I dont see why not. 

 

Lets take this to another thread, I dont think we want to clutter this one up with too much back and forth conversation.  You can come back and post questions here once the community fails to provide an answer. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call, I'll post a completely different question for now ^^

If Jezrien had been killed without Moash interrupting his cycle of rebirth, would he have been reborn as he was when we saw him in the Prelude to Way of Kings, or as he was when he died?

Edited by ScarletSabre
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please ask Brandon if why Jasnah was treated for mental illness was because she was beginning to attract Ivory and Gavilar and Navani thought that she was insane because she was talking to an invisible being constantly.

I'm not sure if this could be true but I like it. Alternatively ask (if this is shot down or RAFO'd) if Ivory was drawn to Jasnah because she was told she was insane and If that event gave her soul enough cracks for the Nahel bond.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you make a Lifeless from a Rosharan corpse that's been Soulcast to stone like Gavilar was? If so, how difficult would it be (in terms of Breath/Heightening needed), and how well would they function? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I've brought it up before, but the woman Shallan observed in the bar wearing the Thaylan dress who appeared to be looking for someone.. was that Tarah?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you transfer stored features from one feruchemical mind directly to another or is there always an aspect that will get lost (be it minor)?

Comming at it from the practical/economic side of era 3 when metaiic arts get fully monetized:

* You carry around rings instead of bulks of metal and transfer them to a bigger mind of your own (savings) or to an unlocked one upon selling (profit)

* You need to appear non-descript so you transfer as much as possible to minimal metal elements - have we ever received quantative data on the storing abilities of metals? Like how much memory could be put in a gram of copper etc?

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just finished my re-listen to the Oathbringer audiobook... In the Thaylen gemstone repository, there's a brief mention of "an old knife" . Is that any relation to the blade Moash used to kill Jezrien? Or the knife Kelsier lost that Nazh gave him?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can a Returned change genders in the process of returning, a la the Forsaken in Wheel of Time?

I couldn’t find any answer on Arcanum.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the point in his life that we see him in WoK, does Demoux still consider himself a worshipper of the Survivor?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TLhikan said:

At the point in his life that we see him in WoK, does Demoux still consider himself a worshipper of the Survivor?

Wow. That's really good. I need to know now...

@Silverblade5, that is a yes, shown during the end of OB

Edited by Ark1002
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

Can a Returned change genders in the process of returning, a la the Forsaken in Wheel of Time?

I couldn’t find any answer on Arcanum.

Yes they can

Quote

Kogiopsis

Since Returned come back as kind of an idealized form of themselves, if somebody was transgender in their original life would they Return as the sex they had been assigned the first time or the gender they identified as?

Brandon Sanderson

I would think that a transgendered person could definitely come back as how they identify. Perception is very important in these sorts of things. It would really depend on the person, but yes.

Words of Radiance Portland signing (March 7, 2014)

 

Edited by RShara
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RShara said:

Yes they can

 

Ok, thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 4:02 PM, Mythmaster111 said:

Please ask Brandon if why Jasnah was treated for mental illness was because she was beginning to attract Ivory and Gavilar and Navani thought that she was insane because she was talking to an invisible being constantly.

I'm not sure if this could be true but I like it. Alternatively ask (if this is shot down or RAFO'd) if Ivory was drawn to Jasnah because she was told she was insane and If that event gave her soul enough cracks for the Nahel bond.

From the prologue of WoR, I think it's clear that Jasnah saw Ivory for the first time at Gavilar's feast.

 

On 1/7/2019 at 0:00 PM, ScarletSabre said:

Could you make a Lifeless from a Rosharan corpse that's been Soulcast to stone like Gavilar was? If so, how difficult would it be (in terms of Breath/Heightening needed), and how well would they function? 


Yes, it makes it easier.

Quote

Questioner

So the lighteyes that get Soulcast into stone, can they be Awakened?

Brandon Sanderson

*pause* So… Yes, but their soul is gone. When they get Soulcast into stone it is only the corpse, so yes they could.

Questioner

Would it be a lifeless or a-- Would it be like Awakening something inorganic or would them once being alive help?

Brandon Sanderson

The fact that they were once alive will help. There's a Spiritual Connection that still exists on the Spiritual Realm and that is going to help. But you're not going to get the person back. The fact that it is the exact form of a person is going to be really helpful. It would be a lot easier to Awaken that than it would be to Awaken other stone.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

 

On 1/8/2019 at 0:28 AM, Solant said:

I know I've brought it up before, but the woman Shallan observed in the bar wearing the Thaylan dress who appeared to be looking for someone.. was that Tarah?


That's been RAFO'd alas.

Edited by RShara
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I know there is a thread for finding Words of Brandon, but ironically I cannot find the thread to then request help finding a Word of Brandon. So can someone either point me in the direction of that thread, or let me know how to find the Word of Brandon that says you can burn allomantic pewter, and store feruchemical health at the same time and bear no negative effects? I've tried combining pewter, thug, gold, twinborn, compound, but have had no luck on arcanum. Sorry that this is a thread digression

Edited by Pathfinder
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has probably been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Would silver heal a limb that has been "killed" by a shardblade?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sun in Shadesmar is consistently described as hanging low on the horizon. Has it always been in this position?

For the curious, this question is inspired by a single line in Dalinar's final vision in tWoK: “Unite them. The sun approaches the horizon. The Everstorm comes. The True Desolation. The Night of Sorrows.” In the past I've always brushed by it as a metaphor... which is in itself practically enough to make me wonder if it's not some very cleverly hidden foreshadowing.

Edited by Jess
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a periodic table of shardic intents? If not, is there enough of a structure in the intents of the Shards such that we can predict what the properties of unknown intents might be based on those that we do know?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, Lupis said:

This has probably been asked before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything. Would silver heal a limb that has been "killed" by a shardblade?

It would not, from what I understand of how silver works. It's a counteragent to the withering of the Shades, but it doesn't heal damage that's already done, aka the severing that a Shardblade does.

 

11 hours ago, TheFoxQR said:

Is there a periodic table of shardic intents? If not, is there enough of a structure in the intents of the Shards such that we can predict what the properties of unknown intents might be based on those that we do know?

This? https://coppermind.net/wiki/Shard#Known_Shards

Brandon has said that there are not necessarily equal and opposite intents, like Ruin and Preservation were, so we really don't have enough info to accurately guess what the remaining intents are.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Is the Evil on Threnody Uli-Da and/or Ambition's cognitive Shadow? Perhaps co-opted/corrupted by Autonomy or Odium?

2. Was Gaz heterochromatic?

Edited by TheFoxQR
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheFoxQR said:

2. Was Gaz heterochromatic?

I asked that.  Got RAFO'ed.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.