The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

On July 9, 2018 at 1:51 AM, Sariel said:

Yes, I'm OB chapter 68 page 678-679:

Hide contents

"Heavens no," Wit said. "I'm not stupid enough to get mixed up with religion again. The last seven times I tried it were all disasters. I believe there's at least one God still worshipping me by accident."

I don't know which god it is, but I would just feel bad for them. Hoid would be a pretty high-maintenance god. :P

On 7/16/2018 at 2:06 AM, ScarletSabre said:

Who would Nightblood get along best with? Hoid, The Lopen, Wayne, or Syl?

Is there anyone Nightblood doesn't like or is actively annoyed by, and wouldn't want to be held by?

Nightblood says he doesn't like Nale at one point.

1. Can you store feruchemical charge in a metalmind that has been swallowed?

This has been brewing for almost a year:

2. Let's imagine I am a Nicrosil compounder, have a large supply of Nicrosil stored with a small amount of Allomantic charge. (For simplicity's sake, let's say Nicrosil Allomancy) I then swallow all of that Nicrosil, and burn it. As the power of Feruchemy is being bolstered by Preservation's own power, and if I have enough Nicrosil, can I fill myself with enough investiture to wrestle control of the Shard away from Harmony?

Edit: If a side character foolishly tries this and disastrously fails, or is mentioned trying this, I will laugh my head off.

Edited by Stuck in Shadesmar
Humor.

Just now, Stuck in Shadesmar said:

2. Let's imagine I am a Nicrosil compounder, have a large supply of Nicrosil stored with a small amount of Allomantic charge. (For simplicity's sake, let's say Nicrosil Allomancy) I then swallow all of that Nicrosil, and burn it. As the power of Feruchemy is being bolstered by Preservation's own power, and if I have enough Nicrosil, can I fill myself with enough investiture to wrestle control of the Shard away from Harmony?

random thing: He's said that you'd have to do "so much" compounding to reach Nightblood levels, so it would take a very long time to reach those levels. Doesn't make it not theoretically possible though.

3 hours ago, Kidpen said:

random thing: He's said that you'd have to do "so much" compounding to reach Nightblood levels, so it would take a very long time to reach those levels. Doesn't make it not theoretically possible though.

The thing is, you maybe could store the Investiture you release while compounding in more Nicrosil to make a denser compound the next time. I'm not sure.

Actually, question for brandon:

Does how full a metalmind is affect how much is released while compounding?

25 minutes ago, Stuck in Shadesmar said:

Does how full a metalmind is affect how much is released while compounding?

It's a set rate. But if you only fill a small amount you won't be able to compound for long. 

yurisses

If Miles stored a very tiny bit of health into a gold bead and then burned it, what would happen? Would he see goldshadows for a time and then obtain Compounded health when reaching the charged part of the bead? Would the bead be evenly charged and deliver only health, no gold shadows, but at a very low rate since only little health was loaded in it? Would the bead be evenly charged and deliver only health, but at a standard rate the user would always get when compounding?

Brandon Sanderson

He'd hack the system to deliver health for a short time instead of doing what it was supposed to do, but only until the small portion of gold Invested with his Investiture ran out.

source

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 3:15 AM, ScarletSabre said:

What's the upper range for a Sleepless? Could one be on Roshar and have "eyes" on Scadrial? Or in Shadesmar?

so, basically, is the collective consciousness of a Sleepless based in the Spiritual Realm or the Cognitive Realm?

I have no idea....

Can anyone be a worldhopper? As in, can any person walk to a perpendicularity and transfer to the Cognitive Realm? Or is something different about the Spiritual DNA of worldhoppers?

Follow-up joke question: Have there been any cases of someone accidentally walking/falling through a perpendicularity and disappearing?

2 hours ago, Potus said:

Can anyone be a worldhopper? As in, can any person walk to a perpendicularity and transfer to the Cognitive Realm? Or is something different about the Spiritual DNA of worldhoppers?

Follow-up joke question: Have there been any cases of someone accidentally walking/falling through a perpendicularity and disappearing?

Yes. All of your questions are answered in Elantris, where people vanish into a shardpool with some regularity.

17 hours ago, John203 said:

Yes. All of your questions are answered in Elantris, where people vanish into a shardpool with some regularity.

I was thinking of just regular people who weren't already able to use investiture. So my thinking was that Elantrians were not "regular" people since they were invested by the Dor. But hey I could still be wrong in my thinking.

It's a fairer question than you think.  But you don't need to be unique. Like many things in the cosmere there is still intent involved

Questioner

Hoid worldhops between places. How did he do it on Scadrial? With Ati's body?

Brandon Sanderson

So, there were two perpendicularities on Scadrial.

Questioner

I know he uses the pools, but how did he do it with Pits of Hathsin? There was no pool? The body was there...

Brandon Sanderson

So, it doesn't have to be going through the pool. What happens with a perpendicularity is, where there is a massive collection of Investiture, it pulls a conduit through. So, if you know what you're doing and where you are, you can get through that.

Questioner

So you don't have to use the pools, just where there's a huge concentration...

Brandon Sanderson

A huge concentration of Investiture will warp the realms.

Questioner

So can anyone worldhop that way, then? If they know what to do?

Brandon Sanderson

If they know what to do, in a perpendicularity, anyone should be able to get through there. But as proven with Raoden, if you don't know what it's supposed to do, nothing happens. He gets dumped int he pool, he thinks he's gonna die... nothing. So, it's more than just being there.

Questioner

That's how he went from the Physical to the Cognitive, so I was wondering how did he do that at the Pits of Hathsin, when there shouldn't be a pool there

Brandon Sanderson

Well, that is the equivalent.

source

Edited by Extesian

Could Kaladin use Syl as a scalpel for surgery, without cutting the patient's soul first?  

I also want to know if there was ever a Returned who, after remembering why they Returned or confronting the situation for which they Returned, chose not to give up their Breath. I'm guessing Endowment would not be pleased. I tried looking this up in the Arcanum, but I have no idea how to filter or narrow down all the hits since the "Returned" and "Breath" tags are huge categories. 

Edited by NotAStick
I thought of another question and didn't want to double post.

45 minutes ago, A stick said:

If Sazed was in the vicinity of another dead shardholder, could he take on their shard as well?

That would be difficult, but not necessarily impossible, depending on the shard.  Picking up a shard requires some level of existing connection to it.  Sazed had a connection to both preservation and ruin, so he was able to pick up those shards.  on the other hand, secret history spoiler ahread:

Spoiler

Kelsier needed outside assistance to pick up Preservation.  a thing made specifically for the purpose of forging that connection, and even then it was difficult for him to retain it if memory serves).

point being it isn't as simple as just being in the right place at the right time.  I personally suspect that if it were the right shard he might be able to do it, but i am not 100% sure of that, and it certainly wouldn't work for just any one.

I have a whole bunch of questions I've always been meaning to ask, so I figured I'd dump them here:

What would earth's cognitive realm look like?

Do you know what was magic like before the splintering of adolnasieum? Do you have plans to show us in a future book? (pretty sure this got RAFO'd)

You've said that, generally, investiture follows the rules of thermodynamics in our world. So why hasn't the dor spread out to other planets' cognitive realms, just through natural diffusion?

How did the sellish group from SH travel offworld if the cognitive realm on sel is so dangerous? Aka, how did they even get to the cognitive realm to leave in the first place?

Let's suppose that there is a habitable world (lets call it point C) in between two other human inhabited planets (A and B), such that the cognitive realms of A and B are "adjacent," assuming that it works like that. What would happen if humans were suddenly brought to planet C via a shard or other method, developing a cognitive version of that planet? Would it be a gradual process in which worldhoppers travelling between A and B have to travel farther and farther or would it just one day exist as a more developed realm? (there's an answer to this IIRC)

Why does water become solid ground in the rosharian shademar, but not on Scadrial a la secret history? (Still unsure about this, but it's likely that the answer is out there)

Is there something special about the ratio of each metal in the alloys?

How does a double copper twinborn work? Do you just get super vivid recollections of the memories already stored?

Can we see one of your famous outlines? I'm fascinated by the prospect of seeing one of your books, which is usually so rich in detail, be broken down into the component pieces.

What is your Myers briggs personality type?

Will we ever get SH-style novellas for some of the famous worldhoppers (kriss, demoux, the guy from elantris etc?)

What about burning an imperfect alloy makes a mistborn sick?

Spiritual DNA is, from what I understand, separate from biological dna. So, since there definitely is something hereditary in allomantic power, can an adopted child (who is unaware of adoption) gain power as easily as someone who was born naturally from mistborn parents?  (my assumption on this was incorrect)

When a metal compounder burns metal that they previously stored am attribute in, can they use it for it's allomantic effect instead of an increased ferochemic effect?

What would a planet look like, in the cognitive realm, if it was composed of two continents that had no awareness of the other whatsoever?

In one of the last broadsheets of BoM, theres a lovely story featuring a certain Nicelle. What are the chances well see more of her, in other books or maybe even as an allomancer jak style short story?

1 hour ago, tmnsquirtle said:

What would a planet look like, in the cognitive realm, if it was composed of two continents that had no awareness of the other whatsoever?

You mean scadrial era 1?

When a metal compounder burns metal that they previously stored am attribute in, can they use it for it's allomantic effect instead of an increased ferochemic effect?

98% sure that miles does this exact thing in alloy of law somewhere around his meeting push and pull.

Why does water become solid ground in the rosharian shademar, but not on Scadrial a la secret history? (Still unsure about this, but it's likely that the answer is out there)

Water is solid in SH. Is I remember correctly, the ground is mist and the river is obsidian. Kelsier walks on the river to meet Khriss and Nazh, and Preservation talks about "where the ground becomes solid," meaning the ocean. 

And for my question:

If someone from Roshar would worldhop to another world, for example Scadrial, would the cognitive realm look to them as beads, or as mists? If the latter is true, would they be able to soulcast? (While in the physical realm on Scadrial, of course)