The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Szeth is a Surgebinder, there is nothing stating that a Surgebinder HAS to be a Radiant...

Well no one else was ever able to replicate the KR powers so it would seem that aat least the vast majority of Surgebinders were KR

Probably not. I don't think it's explicitly stated, but I'm pretty sure it requires blood, which plants are sadly lacking in.

It's stated by Marsh in the third Mistborn. The spike must touch blood, at least when it's first put in. Then the wound can heal (viz, Vin's earring)

Okay here's this quote by Sazed at his moment of Ascension:

As he drew them [Ruin and Preservation} in, they threatened to annihilate each other.

If Sazed had been unable to control Ruin and Preservation, would they have Splintered each other?

A couple other atium questions

Why can lerasium be burned by anyone in the cosmere, while atium is restricted to a small portion of the population of one planet?

When Preservation replaced cadmium and bendalloy on the Allomantic Table, did that mean that no Mistborn who ingested that metal would be able to use those metals?

Were there simply no Pulsers and Sliders born during that same time period, or were those Misting instead turned into atium and malatium mistings?

Now that Sazed has returned the Allomantic Table to it's previous form, does that mean there are no longer atium and malatium mistings born?

Edit: One more

How did Demoux end up with a scar on his head?

Edited by Windrunner

That was in the fight with the Koloss army in the end, I believe.

Does he get another one? He already has at least one scar on his head by the beginning of Hero of Ages.

...The balding scalp and numerous scars made the man look much older then he was...

• 2 weeks later...

A silly question, but since channeling (from WoT) and allomancy are instances of humans drawing upon the power of creation, would burning copper protect its user from mental weaves, like compulsion, as it protects the user from mental allomancy?

WoT is not in Cosmere.

So the answer is somewhere between no / impossible to check. Unless you mean crossovers, but then it depends on who is writing the crossover. I suppose Sanderson could write it either way, depending on his mood. :) (BTW Suvudy Kelsier vs Moiraine was awesome!)

Is it possible for an allomancer to push or pull on metals inside his or her own body, even if other allomancers can't?

Impossible, I'd say. Otherwise the inquisitors would blind themselves by their own spikes like they are with the metal dust to the face. (strictly imo)

In the RPG it says that every Dominance had a regional ruler. So my question is:

Does the Central Dominance have such a regional Ruler, or is that one of the Lord Ruler's responsibilities? If it is not the Lord Ruler, who was it during the time of the Mistborn: The Final Empire?

• 2 weeks later...

In the RPG it says that every Dominance had a regional ruler. So my question is:

Does the Central Dominance have such a regional Ruler, or is that one of the Lord Ruler's responsibilities? If it is not the Lord Ruler, who was it during the time of the Mistborn: The Final Empire?

In MBI, the way we have been handling it is that there are High Prelans for each Dominance. The Central Dominance does not explicitly have such a High Prelan, since the Lord Prelan technically is in charge of administrative responsibilities (assuming the Lord Ruler does not take an active role, but it's pretty clear that he's fairly inactive most times). But, he does have a sort of subordinate which directly deals with more Central Dominance issues.

--------------

Hey everyone. I would just like to apologize for my extreme crappiness in updating the Ultimate List. That's all my bad. As such, I'm turning over control of the List to the amazing and illustrious Windrunner, who will be curating the List from now on.

Also, the List is going to go through some changes to be much more readable and useful.

Okay after an afternoon spent cursing at the code trying to figure out where I left a bold tag open I have completed my revisions. There have been a couple of changes to the list to try to make it easier to find questions you want to ask. Firstly I have removed the answered questions from the list. They took up space and you could just find the answers in the interview database. So I've put a link to it at the top of the OP and some tips for how to use it check if your question has been answered. I have also made the decision to remove questions that I feel will be an instant RAFO by Brandon without any information gained. I think they waste space and I don't want anyone to think they got a good question from our list only to learn nothing. But it isn't absolute. I will let you know if I feel your question will be RAFO'd and you can defend it if you wish. If the staff feels you have a valid point then it will be added. I've also made some subdivisions to make finding certain types of questions easy to find. Okay here are the new questions.

Added as they were

Are there still no Splinters on Scadrial?

Are the Dakhor symbols derived from something, like how the Aons are based on Arelon's geography?

Can Galladon use AonDor on Roshar or did traveling to Roshar cause him to physically revert from his Elantrian form to his Dula form since he was far from the magics that make him Elantrian?

Does the intent/personality of the Shard affect the personalities of the humans they create?

Do the Spiritual and Physical Realms have names, like Shadesmar is the Cognitive Realm?

Will we ever get to see the Spiritual Realm?

Is spiritual DNA inherited the same as regular DNA?

One of the early typo's that was mentioned in the Way of King ARC was the numbering (changing from three to 3) in the chapter-header-death-quotes. Peter said he and the editor saw that too, but then you explained something to them, and they understood why you did it. Why did you do it?

Now that you have altered your timeline somewhat to solve a scheduling conflict, does Warbreaker still occur approximately at the same time as Alloy of Law or has it been moved? If so when does it occur now?

So do Returned eat their own Breath for the first week? Is that why Drab's can't return?

Why do some Biochromatic Breaths flare bright with color right before their owner's death?

If two Drabs have a kid, will their child be a Drab?

If you were to measure how much energy the Reod-Elantrians got from the Dor, would it be equivalent to a Breath a week?

When Ruin changes words, is he actually changing the written words, or is he changing what people see?

What are the percentages on the other seven Allomantic alloys?

Are Renarin and Adolin Dalinar's legitimate children?

Will we have more viewpoints from before the Last Desolation in future books?

How many (approximately) languages there are on Roshar and where are they used?

Is it possible to spike Allomancy from a person before they snap?

Why doesn't Sazed use gold Feruchemy to "fix" his problem of being eunuch?

Can gold Feruchemy be used to heal birth defects or genetic errors, like DNA replicating wrong? Could it heal cancer in yourself?

Does a Lerasium mistborn have an enhanced life-sense relative to a non-allomancer?

Can a kandra duplicate a parshendi carapace?

Why doesn't the transfer of Breath or the command require color? Why doesn’t the command that wipes your memory appear to require color? Does it have to do with the fact that both Commands affect people?

If Preservation's Mind (Leras) wasn't broken/damaged, would the mist spirit have been more corporeal? Is the mist spirit a Physical manifestation of Preservation’s Mind?

What would happen if you attempted to use a nicrosilmind to fuel a coppermind?

Why are invested objects like metalminds and Hemalurgic spikes able to be Pushed and Pulled on, but Shardblades and Shardplate, which are also invested, are not susceptible to Pushing and Pulling?

Why can lerasium be burned by anyone in the Cosmere, while atium is restricted to a small portion of the population of one planet?

When Preservation replaced cadmium and bendalloy on the Allomantic Table, did that mean that no Mistborn who ingested that metal would be able to use those metals? Were there simply no Pulsers and Sliders born during that same time period, or were those Misting instead turned into atium and malatium mistings?

Now that Sazed has returned the Allomantic Table to its previous form, does that mean there are no longer atium and malatium mistings born?

Are highstorms visible in Shadesmar, and if so what do they look like?

Will Llarimar become Susebron’s head priest?

Is it possible for an Allomancer to push or pull on metals inside his or her own body, even if other Allomancers can't?

Are Hemalurgic spikes really resistant to being Pushed or Pulled or is that a misconception that we have due to the fact that nearly all the Hemalurgic spikes we see are in someone’s body?

If a Kandra were to recieve a spike invested with a Feruchemical or Allomantic Power, would they be able to use that power, or would it do something freaky to them?

Edited

How do you decide what to name the Shardworlds?

Is there any other canonical way to refer to a set of Shardplate and a Shardblade other than Shards, so as to not confuse them with the Shards of Andonalsium?

Do Breaths lose power over time? If so do they have a minimum power level they will reach, similar to Hemaulurgic decay?

Did Axies the Collector imagine alespren, or are they real?

Is there anything special about the Purelake fish or their Holy Grottos or is that all superstition?

Did Alendi have a Hemalurgic spike to enhance his bronze Allomancy so he could detect the Well refilling early like Vin?

What do you call a human from each Shardworld (demonyms like Scadrialeese) ?

Is the bond between a Seon and its master similar to the Nahel bond between a Surgebinder and his spren?

If Kelsier hadn't taken up Preservation, what would've happened to the Shard itself (ignoring Ruin)? Would there suddenly be objects throughout the land like spren?

Can you give us any hints about the Cosmere timeline, like events on different Shardworlds that occurred concurrently?

In WoA, we have two strange "A voice seemed to come in his head" experiences. One occurs when Sazed is attacked by Marsh. The other is with Elend, when he attacks the koloss. It gives him advice on how to fight with a dagger. Is this Kelsier?

Demoux preaches of the world before the Ascension even though he never heard Kelsier speak of it. Did Kelsier whisper these things to him from the beyond?

Can Sazed communicate with Leras or Ati?

Do Iron ferrings have a gravitational pull to them?

About how many years occur between Elantris and the end of Hero of Ages?

What happens to a Surgebinder and his spren during the Weeping? Are they affected by the lack of Stormlight?

Can identical twins have different Allomantic powers or power levels? Could one be an Allomancer and the other not be one? Do identical twins have identical Spiritwebs?

Did Weepings still occur before the Last Desolation?

How does impure metal or alloys with the wrong metal ratios affect Feruchemy and Hemalurgy?

Can the same trick that allows a Feruchemist to access another’s metal minds be used for one Awakener (who was also the right type of Feruchemist) to steal Breaths that a different Awakener had invested in something?

Is gunpowder going to be featured in the Cosmere other than on Scadrial?

Is the rate at which Soulcasting happens fixed regardless of size and composition of the item being Soulcasted?

Can Shards manifest in a humanoid, body that exists in the Physical Realm (other than visions like Ruin gives Vin)? If so would this body look like the Shardholder’s former body? Would it be more vulnerable to being Splintered if it was in this form?

Is it possible to build a city that can only be accessed by utilizing the Cognitive realm? Or build a city or structure that only exists in the Cognitive realm?

Do you view the Force as a well thought out and logical magic system?

Does aluminum have effects on the other Allomantic metals aside from iron/steel and zinc/brass?

If Sazed had been unable to control Ruin and Preservation when he took them up, would they have Splintered each other?

What event between WoA and HoA gave Demoux the scar on his head?

Is a Shard being Splintered permanent (Can no one hold it ever again)?

If someone were to use gene therapy on Scadrial could someone gain Allomantic powers? Could this idea be extended further to gain the powers from other Shardworlds?

Does the Central Dominance have a regional ruler like the other Dominances, or is that one of the Lord Ruler's responsibilities? If it is not the Lord Ruler, who was it during the time of the Mistborn: The Final Empire?

Is the 1024 years of refill time a trait of all Shardpools or did Leras do that on purpose as another mathematical sign?

Not going to be added

What in-cosmere character writes the Ars Arcanum?

How do you have a shadow that goes backwards?

How long would it take a Hemalurgically charged spike to completely decay and return to being normal metal?

Is Mister Suit/Ladrian a Chromium Ferring (Fortune)?

What is Nohaden's real name?

Where is Jezrien? You told that to Terez on her WoK. Is Jezrien the "Stormfather", or whoever Kaladin talks to? Or is he a character in the books?

What color are Jezrien's eyes? And does he still have the same fashion sense he used to in terms of color?

Did Kaladin kill Shallan's brother?

How and when was Sazed attuned to both Shards?

Are Steelpushing and Ironpulling related to the Surge of Gravity?

Could Szeth have gotten his powers from the Old Magic?

How could Odium destroy both Aona and Skai, if they were both working together?

Why are Shards blind to their focus?

Has Cultivation gone to the planet of Silence Divine?

What is the black sphere?

Is the black sphere that Szeth is given by Gavilar similar in ways to lerasium/atium? (Condensed power of a god)

Why do the Parshendi sing while fighting?

Why did the Parshendi Shardbearer recognize Dalinar?

Why are the parshmen so docile?

Why did the Parshendi kill Gavilar right after signing a treaty?

Why did Gavilar want the treaty in the first place?

Why does Shardplate no longer allow for the use of Stormlight?

What is the Origin, and why does it like hurling highstorms at the mainland?

Which Shards are responsible for highstorms?

What is Midnight Essence?

Why is the chapter where Dalinar (presumably) sees the Day of Recreance called "A Highway to the Sun"?

Did members of the Hierocracy see visions like Dalinar's?

Does Szeth get his Windrunning abilities from/because of a fabrial?

Is Eshonai the name of the Parshendi Shardbearer Dalinar fights?

Feel free to defend any of these.

Questions that have been answered

Has Brandon already planned out what all of the Shards are (intent-wise) or does he makes them up a few at a time?

If an Awakener Returned, would he keep the Breaths that he had when he died or would they have some other effect on him?

Why does Marsh kill an Allomancer for the spike used on King Penrod? Can Ruin not speak to non-Allomantically spiked people?

When Wayne makes a time bubble, can Wax Push outside objects while being inside of the bubble?

Can a normal person given Allomancy by Hemalurgy have children who are Allomancers? What about Feruchemy?

Will we ever see something like Navani's Notebook, but written in the Steel Alphabet?

You've said that time bubbles are tied by spiritual gravitational bonds. Is this in real time, or at the creation point? And is it of the Allomancer, or of the bubble? I don't think it can be the bubble because it seems like the bubble doesn't have any mass.

Hoid was there when Adonalsium shattered correct?

Honorspren- general name for Nahel Spren, or just Windrunner spren? And what is the name for the Symbolspren/Truthspren/Shallanspren/Symbolheads?

Was Kwaan ever made into a sentient kandra?

Are there any kandra rogues, meaning any who aren't servants to Harmony?

Can you burn a kandra blessing?

If a kandra uses a feruchemist's bones, and is somehow granted feruchemy, could they use their metalminds?

What world is Hoid talking about in Warbreaker when Siri asks about where he learned his method of storytelling and he replied : "...From a Man who didn't know who he was, your majesty. It was a distant place where two lands meet and gods have died”?

When is Misting's metal determined?

Do atium and lerasium still exist?

Do the shardworlds themselves have an effect on the magics that are created?

What would happen if a normal (non-Returned) person drew Nightblood fully and ran out of Breaths?

Could Hoid or any other world jumper pick up different powers there? For example, could Hoid have gotten Breaths on Nalthis and used them on Roshar? And would his original powers be affected by this?

Is Bavadin presently located on the world of Silence Divine?

Is Blunt (first interlude with the Dula) from Nalthis (Warbreaker world)?

Has Honor been Splintered?

Have we met all of the characters that a book is going to focus on?

Which characters (other than Kaladin, Dalinar, Shallan, Szeth, and Jasnah) will have a book focused on them?

If an Elantrian tattooed another Elantrian with the Aon Rao, would the Elantrian with the tattoo be of equal power, no matter where he went, to Elantrians close to the city of Elantris?

I didn't hunt down the answers to all of these because there are so many, and quite frankly I'm exhausted. I think most of them are common knowledge but If someone hasn't heard one or thinks it hasn't been properly added just speak up and I'll be happy to answer it or fix my error. Same goes for if someone feels I have categorized a question wrong in the OP, or if I've left a question in that has been answered or you feel is a sure RAFO. I'll check them out.

I've got an interesting one. Does the knowledge of Hemalurgy come naturally to Ruin? Or is it something that was learned over time?

I'm just wondering if Ruin knows everything there is to know about Hemalurgy.

EDIT- Is the pole star in Elantris (the one in the Ene constellation) a star with a Shardworld on it?

Edit 2x- So because there's been quite a bit of discussion about this, is it possible to steal a spike's properties by using another spike? It would most likely be more efficient to just take the old spike, but could you "deplete" a spike by using hemalurgy on the host?

EDIT 3x- Which WoT book is your favorite?

Could Vin detect what Kaladin does with Stormlight using Copper? What about Awakening?

If someone moved from Scadrial to Nalthis (Warbreaker planet), would their kids have Breaths? Their grandkids? We know it took a couple decades for there to be Elantrians in Arelon.

You talk a little bit about "stringing Aons together" online. Will we get to see this in Elantris 2?

Why don't the Jindo people become Elantrians? It said it only took a couple decades for the current Arelonians to start becoming Elantrians. Is it a cognitive association thing? A "this is my home", so then the Shaod can affect you? Or a "this is my people"? I know that you have to be in the "Elantris Effect" range to become Elantrian, but there seems to be other things.

Is it perhaps that the Jindo people already have their own way to connect to the Dor, so they can't do it a second? Does this have anything to do with the fact that Ferrings (Or Chemings?) don't show up till there starts being interbreeding between races ?

Were Miles's death rants prophecies? Or was he just being vague? In other words, did he know that knowledge, or was it given to him?

How likely is it that Hoid would make a birthday cake for Rayse?

How likely is it that Rayse would make a cake for the Dark One?

How likely is it that the Dark One would make a cake for Ba'alazamon, causing much of the population to scratch their heads?

EDIT 4x- Most of these are from the Chat Room.

What happens if a Seon's master dies and didn't designate the next person to go to?

Is Vin Preservation's Champion? And possibly Ruin's as well?

Is Dalinar Honor's Champion?

Why do both Dalinar and Vin feel something "off" about Hoid?

EDIT 5x (Right before I got to the MTC!)

So is Amaram going to kill Sadeas and become the new Highprince? Cause I think that would be a beautiful twist in many ways. (This isn't really a question. Just something to help remind me about this).

How are people with heterochromia iridum - having two different colored eyes - treated on Roshar?

+1

Also, if a girl is left-handed, which hand is her safehand (which sleeve is longer)?