The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Yes, a corporeal, humanoid body. As in, it has a stomach so it can burn Atium. ;) Whether the body coalesces out of mist/smoke or exists permanently in the Physical Realm (or something else entirely) is another question.

I've given this a bit of thought, and I would like to add another part:

If Preservation's Mind (Leras) wasn't broken/damaged, would the mist spirit have been more corporeal? Is the mist spirit a Physical manifestation of Perservation's Mind? Is it possible for said Mind to survive its Shard's shattering, similar to a Shard surviving its Mind's death (Leras dying but Preservation is still there)?

Ironmind Filling/Storing and Lashings: The two are fundamentally different but can yield similar results. With an Ironmind you are actually changing your mass. If one was in a vacuum on Earth/Roshar/wherever there is gravity (physics joke away!!) and stored/tapped the Ironmind, the acceleration due to gravity is still the same, so you continue falling as if you hadn't tapped/stored the Ironmind. (Even if this requires handwavium to not break Conservation of Momentum.) The Basic Lashing, as mentioned in the Ars Arcanum, actually changes the gravitational effects on an object and only that object. A Reverse Lashing increases the gravitational pull of an object above what its mass would indicate and this gravitational change doesn't affect the object that is targeted (otherwise a Windrunner could create black holes with enough Stormlight.)

However, what Cuaiir asked was about Steelpushing, Ironpulling, and Lashings, not Skimmer shenanigans. I'm not quite sure how that got muddled...

As for that: these two may also be fundamentally different things but have similar results. A Steelpush/Ironpull creates a straight line force on an object that project from the Allomancer's position. The Lashings may create a new force or manipulate an existing force; we don't know specifically, though the Ars Arcanum seems to suggest that they just manipulate gravity.

If the Lashings create a new force, then they are quite similar to Steelpushing/Ironpulling, but have different restrictions: S/I are radial line only forces, at a distance, stops pushing/pulling instantly after "effort" is not being put into it, with a limit to the strength of the push/pull relative to the Allomaner's strength and probably mass. Lashings, oth, are not limited in direction, require touch (one is always in contact with oneself for this definition) to create the new force at an object (though the force works at a distance after it has been created), lose strength over time if left alone, and the strength is based on the number of Lashings one adds (the maximum would be based on the amount of Stormlight the Windrunner could hold and how fast they could add Lashings.)

However, if the Lashings are just manipulating gravity, they are quite different from Steelpushes and Ironpulls, which create a new force.

Another strange question having to do with copperminds.

What would happen if you attempted to use a nicrosilmind to fuel a coppermind?

Also I'm not sure if this has been asked specifically on this thread but I'll put it up anyway just in case.

Why are invested objects like metalminds and Hemalurgic spikes able to be Pushed and Pulled on, but Shardblades and Shardplate, which are also invested, are not susceptible to Pushing and Pulling?

It might have something to do with the Metallic Arts originating on the same word or sharing a focus, but those are just random ideas. Also perhaps they might be invested differently somehow?

Edited by Windrunner

Is it possible that Hoid could be one of the heralds going by a different name? I forget how long it's been since they abandoned the oathpack. Was there enough time for him to be about his confirmed shenanigans?

That's an interesting idea. Hoid's origin is in one of the unpublished books, but we don't know where Heralds came from, so theoretically he might be one of them, I guess... That would be interesting. Not likely, but with Brandon Sanderson, who knows?

Only the physical and mental attributes I would think, not allomantic or feruchemical abilities :P

But I think it would probably twist your body and mind even more, having bits of a spirit that aren't even human grafted onto your spiritweb.

So, since we know that animals can receive Hemalurgic spikes (mistwraiths) the question becomes, can spikes be made from animals as well?

The mistwraiths were made from humans.

But I concede to Zaz, who's far more rigorous than I at proving things :P

The fact it works on animals make sense. After all, you're injecting the appropriate Spiritweb for, say, Mental Allomancy right inside it!

But, I doubt it would work from animals, as they don't have the Spiritweb of Physical Allomancy for you to steal, however it would work if you were going to steal something like strength, because animals have that. If you were to try to steal Enhancement Allomancy, it would give the same effect as stabbing a human who doesn't have Enhancement Allomancy: nothing.

Actually I have a slight problem with using HoA as a baseline, as I'm not entirely sure where it belongs, it's either around 300 years before WoK (Which I have been using as my baseline) or somewhere between 300-1300. The problem for me is the adjusted timeline for AoL being slightly after WoK instead of roughly the same time as Warbreaker, but AoL is also 300 years after HoA (mentioned in book) which would move the entire series of Mistborn up quite a bit, and also make it occur after Warbreaker although Brandon has stated that the books were chronological. so yeah I'm not entirely sure where the Mistborn series goes, although I think it's most likely set about 300 years pre-WoK.

Actually I have a slight problem with using HoA as a baseline, as I'm not entirely sure where it belongs, it's either around 300 years before WoK (Which I have been using as my baseline) or somewhere between 300-1300.

Brandon originally had WoK a long time after Alloy, but due to a conflict he moved it up. So now Warbreaker, Alloy, and Way of Kings are happening pretty close to each other, with Way of Kings a little before Alloy of Law.

I knew about Alloy, but I can't find anything on Warbreaker being moved, I assumed it was the same (several hundred years pre-WoK) which is my problem, the books then wouldn't be chronologically sequential as HoA would have to be after Warbreaker

Edit: I just realised the problem I am having is that I'm thinking of things relative to WoK so if WoK was moved down to before AoL instead of Alloy being moved to after WoK then this makes more sense :P

Edited by Voidus

Here's our Warbreaker date:

GORON ()

You've mentioned before that all your books so far are in chronological order (Elantris, the Mistborn trilogy, Warbreaker, Stormlight Archive). Alloy of Law takes place about 200 years after The Hero of Ages. (Right?) Does this put it chronologically before or after Warbreaker?

BRANDON SANDERSON ()

The Alloy of Law takes place around 300 years after The Hero of Ages and several hundred years before the events in The Way of Kings. That does put it around the same time as Warbreaker.

Source

I suppose that is rather vague then on what happens to the timeline of Warbreaker.

Yeah that's what I meant, I read the AoL change as AoL was moved up to after WoK and Warbreaker stayed 'several hundred years before' WoK. So that would put HoA (300 years pre-AoL) at around the same time as if not later than Warbreaker, but yeah it depends on which was moved, WoK or AoL in regards to the timescale as a whole (I suppose the best origin would be the shattering but we have no idea when anything happened in regards to that :P)

Edit actually his reply to which chronology was correct

The second. I revised my placement of KINGS relative to HERO after realizing a behind-the-scenes conflict.

ALLOY had to happen after KINGS for Cosmere reasons. I had two timelines arguing, and in plotting Stormlight 2, I fixed this.

Would indicate that WoK was moved relative to the others, AoL wasn't so that would put Warbreaker and Alloy and Kings all at more or less the same time... Hoid must have been busy :P

Edited by Voidus

Szeth has radiant powers but Brandon has said he's not a radiant. Could he have gotten his powers from the old magic?

(Nightmother or nightwatcher, I don't remember)

Szeth is a Surgebinder, there is nothing stating that a Surgebinder HAS to be a Radiant...