The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

On 1/17/2017 at 3:51 PM, Gizmosowner said:

How would aluminum effect the blade as it is essentially the corpse of a being made of investiture?

Source

WAYNESPREN

Can Shardblades cut aluminum?"

BRANDON SANDERSON

"Well-um-yes, yes they can

IIRC he was asked once if anything weird would happen, and gave out a RAFO. Can't find the WoB right now.

Additional comment:

Is thought the cognitive equivalent of matter or of energy? Or is the comparison flawed, because there isn't a rough equivalent?

Edited by Emerald101
additional comment

6 minutes ago, Eagle of the Forest Path said:

Does Pattern's shape in the physical realm have a connection to the string of numbers that make up his real name?
(and is that name in binary?)

Why would it being in binary matter?

I live in asia so it's very hard for me to ask questions......so feel free to ask mine :) 

• Is there any race in the cosmere that can survive on a gas giant? Can any spren, splinter, cognitive shadow, shade?
  • Someday when worldhopping is common knowledge, will there be immigration customs or something that resembles an airport on earth at Perpendicularities or on the borders of CR?
    • Or is this already happening?
  • How did the Vessels know what their intent is? Is this an instinctive thing?
  • Hypothetically, if any other shard invested on Scadrial, would the resulting God-metal have it’s own shard-electron? like how Harmonium has Ruin-electrons and Preservation-electrons?
  • Is Stormlight just invested Neon? (Element 10?!)
  • Can Atium and Lerasium react with other substances? (AiF or LeCl or smth) Will they still hold investiture?
    • What will happen to the allomantic/feruchemic/hemalurgic properties?
  • Do the Sleepless(Dysian Aimians) possess prophetic abilities or superior intelligence?

• Is there any significance to the 10 gas giants in the Rosharan system?

• Does Silverlight have a central government?

• Does Silverlight happen to be anchored on a shard?

• Is there a shard that encourages adventure/research/science?

2 hours ago, acatnamedkaren said:

Can Atium and Lerasium react with other substances? (AiF or LeCl or smth) Will they still hold investiture?

• What will happen to the allomantic/feruchemic/hemalurgic properties?

We actually do know that you can make alloys from the god metals.  we see atium-gold in the first era mistborn books, and there are WOBs to the effect that Lerasium alloys could create mistings the same way pure lerasium turned Elend into a mistborn.  it isn't 100% clear if there is a specific pattern to the effects of these alloys in all of the magic systems, but we do know that there are viable versions of them.

6 hours ago, acatnamedkaren said:
  • Someday when worldhopping is common knowledge, will there be immigration customs or something that resembles an airport on earth at Perpendicularities or on the borders of CR?
    • Or is this already happening?

I imagine depend on the Shardworld. "Airport" on the CR's border is quite unpratical there is too space to monitor. Instead an "airport" where the Perpendicularities are, is very likely...and in some shardworld already happened (for example The Pits of Hatsin were a famous commercial route and there are structure to help the worldhoppers who made the transition.

• How did the Vessels know what their intent is? Is this an instinctive thing?

It's an instintive thing....For example Harmony fel this name right (and he is a mixed intent). For a standard Vessel the Intent would be very "clear"...after all its some kind of compulsion on your own Mind.

• Is Stormlight just invested Neon? (Element 10?!)

I considerate this of a couple of seconds, but actually Stormlight's propriety can't actually be matched with any real gas as for example the Mist can't be compared to real gass either.

• Do the Sleepless(Dysian Aimians) possess prophetic abilities or superior intelligence?

I imagine a Dysian Aimians may boost his intellect with a specific grown of his Hordelings, so it's possible there are Spy-Sleepless and 1-2 Elaboration-Sleepless to put at work the whole informations gathered.

9 minutes ago, Parcy said:

Okay, I have a stormlight/warbreaker question.

When Siri teaches Suseborn how to read she starts with letter shash is ot in any way related to the shash brand that Kaladin has?

that has been asked before:

llwvyn

My question is in regards to the writing system. In Warbreaker, when Siri is teaching Susebron to read, she mentions the letter "shash," which we now know better as a Glyphair from WoK.

so onto the questions:

Are the two writing systems related, or is this a chance coincidence of names? If they are related, did they stem from the same source? (i.e., do the people of Nalthis and Roshar both descend from a more ancient group of people?) If I haven't gotten a RAFO yet, did the separation from these other people create the legends of being cast out of the Tranquiline Halls?

Brandon Sanderson

There are interesting connections around the cosmere between linguistics and some cultures. Though different groups of humans were created on different planets, the Shards all share a single point of origin. However, the Tranquiline Halls legends are not related to a Nalthis/Roshar connection.

source: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977#167

Edited by Dunkum
update link

On 26.01.2017 at 1:01 AM, Parcy said:

Okay, I have a stormlight/warbreaker question.

When Siri teaches Suseborn how to read she starts with letter shash is ot in any way related to the shash brand that Kaladin has?

Took me less than minute to find: www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=977#167

EDIT: Since I'm already getting downvoted, I want to add that you should have searched for it. It's not exactly hard to find.

On 5.03.2011 at 5:21 AM, Chaos said:

If the question you wish to ask is not on this list then I'd appreciate if you checked the Interview Database to see if it has already been answered.

from OP.

Edited by Oversleep

3 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

Could a non Nathalian give away their Breath with the "My life to yours, my breath become yours" command?

If so, what would be the result? A weak Breath being transferred like a weak Hemalurgical charge?

If a non-Nalthian gained a Breath, they could pass it on with the normal Command.  However, the innate Investiture of, say, a Scadrian cannot be stripped off like a Nalthian's can.  

13 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

If a non-Nalthian gained a Breath, they could pass it on with the normal Command.  However, the innate Investiture of, say, a Scadrian cannot be stripped off like a Nalthian's can.  

Going further with this (I feel like I've seen a WoB, but I couldn't find it), can non-Nalthians with Breath Awaken? Because if they can pass Breath like a Nalthian, it makes sense that they would be able to Awaken as well. 

Just now, Nashan'Elin said:

Going further with this (I feel like I've seen a WoB, but I couldn't find it), can non-Nalthians with Breath Awaken? Because if they can pass Breath like a Nalthian, it makes sense that they would be able to Awaken as well. 

I suspect so - the "My Breath become yours" Command is arguably Awakening of a sort - but we haven't had any evidence one way or the other.  

41 minutes ago, Nashan'Elin said:

Going further with this (I feel like I've seen a WoB, but I couldn't find it), can non-Nalthians with Breath Awaken?

38 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

I suspect so - the "My Breath become yours" Command is arguably Awakening of a sort

Best we've gotten is Brandon saying "anyone can awaken if they get the breath" but it's in the context of someone arguing the difference between a magic and a science. I believe that it means you can do it, but it's still up for debate in most circles. Just seems anticlimactic if giving breath to someone from offworld made it semi-useless.

31 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

Best we've gotten is Brandon saying "anyone can awaken if they get the breath" but it's in the context of someone arguing the difference between a magic and a science. I believe that it means you can do it, but it's still up for debate in most circles. Just seems anticlimactic if giving breath to someone from offworld made it semi-useless.

There's a more recent one which basically flat-out says anyone with breath can awaken.

7 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

There's a more recent one which basically flat-out says anyone with breath can awaken.

So there is. It doesn't have the awakening tag on it, so I completely missed it

Breath, once it is given to you, it is being keyed to you--your Identity. So that transfer makes it yours to use however you want.

Question

So you could Awaken?

Brandon Sanderson

You could Awaken.

• 2 weeks later...