The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

19 minutes ago, lightsongthebold said:

Do we know what the other two Bondsmith spren were? 

Nightwatcher is a strong possibility. Cusicesh is another, although we know he's a level below the Stormfather and Nightwatcher. But, no, we don't know for sure what the other two are.

If a Hemalurgist (presuming he had a working knowledge of the relevant bind points) were to (somehow) time-travel to before the Shattering of Adonalsium, would he be able to actually spike out and implant traits like he could post-creation of Scadrial?  

Edited by Landis963

1 hour ago, Landis963 said:

If a Hemalurgist (presuming he had a working knowledge of the relevant bind points) were to (somehow) time-travel to before the Shattering of Adonalsium, would he be able to actually spike out and implant traits like he could post-creation of Scadrial?  

I doubt it - at the time there would be no Hemalurgy in existence yet.

2 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I doubt it - at the time there would be no Hemalurgy in existence yet.

Well, my other questions - regarding the outer limits of Adonalsium's influence and the possibility of alternate Adonalsium-esque entities in other parts of the universe - are complete RAFO-bait.  Besides, he can always surprise us.  (In addition, I suspect that the only thing in Hemalurgy's way back then was the fact that Scadrial wasn't a thing - Ruin's Investiture, by contrast, certainly was)

24 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

(In addition, I suspect that the only thing in Hemalurgy's way back then was the fact that Scadrial wasn't a thing - Ruin's Investiture, by contrast, certainly was)

Here's why I think asking about Allomancy is a better choice: Hemalurgy does not require Ruin's Investiture, only that Hemalurgy exists.

But if you have Allomancy encoded in your soul... Preservation is technically there, in Adonalsium, so you could draw upon its Investiture, right?

This would be far easier if Scadrial existed back then. But we have no other system drawing directly upon Shards power.

4 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Here's why I think asking about Allomancy is a better choice: Hemalurgy does not require Ruin's Investiture, only that Hemalurgy exists.

But if you have Allomancy encoded in your soul... Preservation is technically there, in Adonalsium, so you could draw upon its Investiture, right?

This would be far easier if Scadrial existed back then. But we have no other system drawing directly upon Shards power.

I was aiming for Hemalurgy so I could learn whether or not I could use it as a plot point in a campaign I'm developing.  (The things that need to come into play are too coincidental to ever happen, even with the unpredictability of player characters in the mix, but it's good to have it just in case.  Or to see whether or not I should develop a substitute)  

1. Is there a minimum size for a hemalurgic spike (even if it is so small that functionally it does not matter)?  and 2. does the amount of investiture in the initial spike (before any decay sets in) vary depending on the person being spiked?  e.g if you try to spike physical strength out of a body builder, will there be more investiture than if you tried to spike it from someone a lot weaker, like a very old man?

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

does the amount of investiture in the initial spike (before any decay sets in) vary depending on the person being spiked?  e.g if you try to spike physical strength out of a body builder, will there be more investiture than if you tried to spike it from someone a lot weaker, like a very old man?

How much strength/health you could store in Feruchemy is affected by those criteria, so I imagine that Hemalurgy would be affected.
If memory serves me, older people often had a "weaker" breath on Nalthis than young people, but I do not know if that is the breath itself or a quality of Innate Investiture, as Breath is a largely Nalthis exclusive trait.
Edit: forgot to finish my thought: It makes sense for that to be the case, but i cannot say for sure.

Edited by The One Who Connects

2 hours ago, Dunkum said:

1. Is there a minimum size for a hemalurgic spike (even if it is so small that functionally it does not matter)?

From what we've seen in the books, I would guess the minimum is simply whether it would reach the bindpoint it needs to hit, and if it actually contacts blood (which wouldn't be tough, if it doesn't need much).  Zane comments on how small the one he's using for the one guy is, and how it's barely more than a needle, I think, though it was long enough to pierce the heart.

Cognition directly affects the shape of Shadesmar. Is the variation Mr. T experienced between his worst day and the day he wrote the Diagram enough to alter the cognitive realm landscape?

If so, how quickly would it have reverted the next day? (He wasn't/couldn't think about it any more, but the information was all recorded...)

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

From what we've seen in the books, I would guess the minimum is simply whether it would reach the bindpoint it needs to hit, and if it actually contacts blood (which wouldn't be tough, if it doesn't need much).  Zane comments on how small the one he's using for the one guy is, and how it's barely more than a needle, I think, though it was long enough to pierce the heart.

Yea, I mean, hemalurgy doesn't seem to use a whole lot of investiture to begin with, so I assume that if there is a minimum amount needed, i is probably microscopic.  I mean we have seen earrings function as hemalurgic spikes, so obviously the Inquisitors' gigantic spikes are probably not necessary....though that brings me to a further elaboration question: assuming ther is some minimum, is there any benefit, aside from just being easier to hit a bindpoint, for having a larger spike?

11 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

is there any benefit, aside from just being easier to hit a bindpoint, for having a larger spike?

For the Inquisitors in TLR era, the fear inspired by giant spikes. Freed Ruin era, larger spikes can serve as larger Metalminds for the appropriate attributes, and TLR kinda made it a tradition. Bigger(longer) spikes are also better to spike someone else in battle, as one tried to do in.. HoA. Small spikes are stealth spikes for the most part.

53 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

For the Inquisitors in TLR era, the fear inspired by giant spikes. Freed Ruin era, larger spikes can serve as larger Metalminds for the appropriate attributes, and TLR kinda made it a tradition. Bigger(longer) spikes are also better to spike someone else in battle, as one tried to do in.. HoA. Small spikes are stealth spikes for the most part.

sure, all of that applies, but I mostly meant hemalurgically.  like does a larger spike decay more slowly etc.

I'm not sure if the following has been asked yet or not, but here goes:

If someone brought a Seon to Roshar, could they develop a Nahel bond with it?  If yes, would they develop surges related to the Seon's Aon, the existing surges in a new pattern, or something new and scary/interesting?

17 hours ago, Dunkum said:

sure, all of that applies, but I mostly meant Hemalurgically.  like does a larger spike decay more slowly etc.

Now that you say that, I feel like that has been said somewhere before. Coppermind doesn't have it though..

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

If someone brought a Seon to Roshar, could they develop a Nahel bond with it?  If yes, would they develop surges related to the Seon's Aon, the existing surges in a new pattern, or something new and scary/interesting?

Here

Could a Seon, or a Skaze, could they turn into a, some sort of Shardblade on their own planet?

Brandon Sanderson

That is theoretically possible. It's—I mean they work under the same fundamentals, but they would need to have something to pull them more into the physical realm.

here

I believe that you said that the Seons on Roshar would bond similarly--Would that work in the opposite direction?

Brandon Sanderson

Meaning what? Someone from Roshar could they bond a Seon? Oh, would Spren bond-- Yes that could happen.

and here

If an Elantrian bonded to a Seon and traveled to Roshar, would that act as a Nahel bond?

Brandon Sanderson

It would act very very similarly, yes. But it would be like… it wouldn't necessarily do the exact same things. It would be treated the exact same way, but wouldn't grant the same powers.

Just now, Oversleep said:

What would have happened if a Soulbearer tried to store that part of his soul where the bond to Shardblade is hooked to him?

I feel that Nicrosil might be affected just like the other metals in that you can't store/tap from a specific area of the body. Can't only strengthen legs, can't tap warmth only in the hands, etc... but I may be taking bind points on the body a bit too literally in this instance.
It just makes sense that if you can only get so specific in what you store for one metal, it should follow for the others.

19 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I feel that Nicrosil might be affected just like the other metals in that you can't store/tap from a specific area of the body. Can't only strengthen legs, can't tap warmth only in the hands, etc... but I may be taking bind points on the body a bit too literally in this instance.
It just makes sense that if you can only get so specific in what you store for one metal, it should follow for the others.

On the other hand there is copper - you store specific memories, not everything at once.

Also, this WoB: *looks hard* hm, can't find it - it's something about storing nicrosil, that "the powers are stored separately".