The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

On 12/22/2016 at 2:46 AM, bleeder said:

Is there any link between the names "Kalad" and "Kaladin"?

I would say that their is a link: specifically that they are both based off of Kalak.

BLACKYETI

In Words of Radiance, we have Vasher showing up. One of his aliases on Nalthis is Kalad, which is very similar to the name of one of the Heralds on Roshar. So I was wondering how far back this connection between him and Roshar goes.

BRANDON SANDERSON

It goes pretty far back, in fact I wrote Way of Kings, the 2002 version; he was a main character and was Kaladin’s sword master. I wrote Warbreaker to jump back and write out his back story, so to me Warbreaker actually came after Way of Kings. But the connection goes back pretty far, further than you would first guess.

Since I was the one who asked this question, I'm pretty confident that Brandon was implying that Kalad does indeed come from Kalak.

1 hour ago, BlackYeti said:

I would say that their is a link: specifically that they are both based off of Kalak.

Since I was the one who asked this question, I'm pretty confident that Brandon was implying that Kalad does indeed come from Kalak.

Hmm... would that make it an in-world connection, or just a literary connection?

34 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

That would be an in-world linguistic connection I think.

From the context of his answer (but not your question), it sounds more like he's talking about Vasher's connection to Roshar in general, rather than the name in particular...

Just now, Eki said:

From the context of his answer (but not your question), it sounds more like he's talking about Vasher's connection to Roshar in general, rather than the name in particular...

Which was why I made sure to point out that I was the person who asked: I saw his body language, facial expression, heard his tone of voice. There's a lot that simple text can't convey properly. It was over two years ago that I asked this now, but I still remember it very well. When I mentioned the name Kalad he was grinning.

I would agree that this isn't conclusive, but it was definitely the impression that he left me with.

1 minute ago, BlackYeti said:

Which was why I made sure to point out that I was the person who asked: I saw his body language, facial expression, heard his tone of voice. There's a lot that simple text can't convey properly. It was over two years ago that I asked this now, but I still remember it very well. When I mentioned the name Kalad he was grinning.

I would agree that this isn't conclusive, but it was definitely the impression that he left me with.

Fair enough :) A lot gets lost in transcriptions, after all.

I guess the next question, if both really do come from Kalak, would be why Vasher used the name "Kalad" at all...

Inspired by this thread:

The Returned of Nalthis have a demonstrated ability to change their appearance based on how they think they should appear.  Could they use this ability to self-heal (e.g. if Vasher got a nasty gash on his arm could he use the mutable nature of his being to heal it away)?  If so, is it automatic (a la Stormlight healing) or deliberate (a la Gold Feruchemy)?  

1 hour ago, agigabyte said:

I was reading Warbreaker again the other day and I noticed that "Shash" is the first letter of the alphabet. Isn't that also a Glyph on Roshar? If so, is this a coincidence or do their alphabets share a common link? 

Relevant (and as far as I know only) Answer:

LLWVYN

My question is in regards to the writing system. In Warbreaker, when Siri is teaching Susebron to read, she mentions the letter "shash," which we now know better as a Glyphair from WoK.

so onto the questions:

Are the two writing systems related, or is this a chance coincidence of names? If they are related, did they stem from the same source? (i.e., do the people of Nalthis and Roshar both descend from a more ancient group of people?) If I haven't gotten a RAFO yet, did the separation from these other people create the legends of being cast out of the Tranquiline Halls?

BRANDON SANDERSON

There are interesting connections around the cosmere between linguistics and some cultures. Though different groups of humans were created on different planets, the Shards all share a single point of origin. However, the Tranquiline Halls legends are not related to a Nalthis/Roshar connection

7 hours ago, Landis963 said:

Inspired by this thread:

The Returned of Nalthis have a demonstrated ability to change their appearance based on how they think they should appear.  Could they use this ability to self-heal (e.g. if Vasher got a nasty gash on his arm could he use the mutable nature of his being to heal it away)?  If so, is it automatic (a la Stormlight healing) or deliberate (a la Gold Feruchemy)?  

unsure, but bear in mind that they are already at the fifth heightening, so they already heal much faster than normal anyway

• 2 weeks later...

How does Soulcasting into fire work, since fire is a chemical process rather than an actual thing? Is the object changed into fuel and oxygen that react immediately? Is the object just the same, except set on fire?

On that note, can you decide the temperature of something you Soulcast?

9 hours ago, Emerald101 said:

Does physical spacetime stretch and distort in the cosmere like it does in our universe? If so, do similar transformations occur in the cognitive and spiritual realms?

I can't say for the first, but I think Cognitive and Spiritual realms are quite immune to the physical spacetime stretch.
Spiritual realm is space indipendant and almost time indipendat

Cognitive realm is location and time dipendant but their manifestations are forged by sentient mind so I don't think the spacetime stretch affect it

Cognitive is also mind dependant - see the space without minds shrinking (so outer space is greatly condensed which allows worldhoppers to walk to different planets). Also, as we know - a planet has to have enough sentient life on it to drop into Shadesmar and as we learn in AU essays - an object has to have significant cognitive apsect to it to be in Shadesmar (gas giants in Roshar have very minor manifestations in Shadesmar so no one has managed to observe them directly).

I wasn't thinking so much about how physical spacetime stretch would affect the other realms so much as how those realms might have their own equivalents. For example, if thought is the "stuff" of the cognitive realm like mass is the stuff of the physical, then cognitive expansion/contraction could be thought of as the cognitive equivalent of gravitational distortion.

Given TenSoon often takes the form of a giant, dark furred dog, similar to a wolfhound, could he eventually become the origin for a Black Dog type mythos, or omen set?  Especially seeing as he tends to appear where Harmony needs him at portentous events?

1 hour ago, Parcy said:

I have a Stormlight related question:

- Did Gavilar experience the visions from the Allmighty (like Dalinar) before his death?

You know, I thought we recently got this confirmed, but I can't find the quote. I may have conflated it with confirmation that Gavilar was becoming a Bondsmith, and was further along than Dalinar is now. So, I expect it's very likely that Gavilar was bonding the Stormfather and receiving the same visions. But I don't think it's been confirmed as such yet, and it's possible Gavilar was bonding one of the other two Bondsmith spren.