The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

I am the de facto person in charge, but it is pretty far on the back burner for me unfortunately. I generally try to go through an update it during the lead up to a major tour. That didn't happen this time round because I just didn't have time.

Thank you for going through and commenting on questions that have been answered, it makes my job that much easier when I do sit down to update the list. I'm more than willing to listen to ideas about how to better organize things so please share them, though I'm not sure I'm sold on "Conflux" as the title for a spin-off section.

9 minutes ago, WeiryWriter said:

I am the de facto person in charge, but it is pretty far on the back burner for me unfortunately. I generally try to go through an update it during the lead up to a major tour. That didn't happen this time round because I just didn't have time.

Thank you for going through and commenting on questions that have been answered, it makes my job that much easier when I do sit down to update the list. I'm more than willing to listen to ideas about how to better organize things so please share them, though I'm not sure I'm sold on "Conflux" as the title for a spin-off section.

Yeah, a more straightforward name like "Magic System Interactions" might be better. I felt like I was digging through a lot of questions about how Breath would interact with Hemalurgy or if Stormlight could power AonDor, which are along very different lines than "Are all Vessels humans?" That's why I think they could be spun off into their own section.

Here's one suggested by my husband:

Is Adonalsium's power original to him/it, or did it come from somewhere else? That is, was Adonalsium granted power, or did he take it from someone/thing, or was it innate in Adonalsium?

4 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

Do you think I'd get an instant RAFO if I asked for the second oath of the Elsecallers? What if I just asked what qualities attract an Inkspren?

Yeah. Someone at the Hoboken signing was looking for an oath, and Brandon said he didn't give them out for two reasons:

1. That's something we'll be learning about for literally the entire length of the series.
  2. He hasn't finalized all of them yet, so if he gives one out now, it may change before it becomes canon.

But the Inkspren question, that might go through. It depends how much of that is getting saved for Jasnah's flashback book.

5 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Yeah. Someone at the Hoboken signing was looking for an oath, and Brandon said he didn't give them out for two reasons:

1. That's something we'll be learning about for literally the entire length of the series.
  2. He hasn't finalized all of them yet, so if he gives one out now, it may change before it becomes canon.

But the Inkspren question, that might go through. It depends how much of that is getting saved for Jasnah's flashback book.

I can live with that. Elsecallers are my favorite order so it'd be great to find out more about them than just what we know from that one epigraph. 

The other question I plan to ask (In February, when Brandon comes to Boston) is whether Nightblood or an Honorblade would require more stormlight. Both are mentioned as using investiture incredibly fast. 

2 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

The other question I plan to ask (In February, when Brandon comes to Boston) is whether Nightblood or an Honorblade would require more stormlight. Both are mentioned as using investiture incredibly fast. 

Considering Nightblood is incredibly more powerful, I imagine it would it he.

1. Could someone with access to both Lightweaving and Awakening awaken one of their own illusions if they knew the right commands?

2. bit of a technical question on the gravitation surge: normally the force of gravity between any 2 objects is the same.  I exert a force on the Earth equal to the force it exerts on me (I'm just way smaller so that force affects me more).  so when doing a basic lashing, say lashing a rock towards the ground 5 times for example, would that increase the force on just one of the objects or on both of them (just the rock, or both rock and planet)?

3. does the amount of investiture required to do a basic lashing increase as the object's mass increases?

On 9/12/2016 at 11:28 PM, Dunkum said:

1. Could someone with access to both Lightweaving and Awakening awaken one of their own illusions if they knew the right commands?

You have to awaken an object...an illusion will not be able to recive the Breath. OF course you may probably stick an illusion on an Awakened Object...But I think it's not what you want to achieve.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:28 PM, Dunkum said:

3. does the amount of investiture required to do a basic lashing increase as the object's mass increases?

We have a WoB about but I can't remember if the Stormlight's consume scales with mass or with volume.

As evidenced by this thread, there is some confusion about whether or not Leeching destroys the metals of the victim, or just renders them Allomantically inert (but leaves them still existing). Which one is true? (And would Aluminium work the same?)

1 hour ago, Eki said:

As evidenced by this thread, there is some confusion about whether or not Leeching destroys the metals of the victim, or just renders them Allomantically inert (but leaves them still existing). Which one is true? (And would Aluminium work the same?)

Brandon has said it would burn away piercings that were Feruchemical metalminds (perhaps even ones that weren't), and that it "would look really weird", so I think it's safe to say the metal itself is destroyed, not just rendered inert.

3 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Brandon has said it would burn away piercings that were Feruchemical metalminds (perhaps even ones that weren't), and that it "would look really weird", so I think it's safe to say the metal itself is destroyed, not just rendered inert.

As the thread shows, different sources claim different things. And the "would look really weird" was Kaymyth's comment on it, not part of what Brandon said (also explained in the thread).

39 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Also, can non-humans be the Vessels of Shards?

Yes, there is at least one non-Human Vessel. There were three races on Yolen: Human, Dragon, and Shodel. (Don't know anything about the Shodel, though, aside from their name.)

37 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

This is one that's probably been asked before, but....

Would two Drabs having a child while without any Breaths affect the strength of the Breath of the baby? I doubt they would have a Drab baby, considering the Breath comes from Endowment, but I'm curious if it would have any effect.

As far as I know there is no effect if your parents have 0,1 or 100 Breaths.

5 minutes ago, Yata said:

As far as I know there is no effect if your parents have 0,1 or 100 Breaths.

That's a better way of phrasing it actually...

"Is there any amount of Breaths (including 0) held by either or both parents, that would affect the Breath of a baby being conceived and born?"

There's probably no effect, as you say, I'm just curious if a Breath could be strengthened or weakened by something like that.

13 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

Would Lifeless made from the corpses of Allomancers/Feruchemists/Surgebinders retain their abilities, powered by the Breath?

Surgebinders would be the least likely, unless you can somehow make a Lifeless from a Spren....

They would not have them, the magic abilities are coded in the soul and a lifeless has no more his soul

15 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

Hey I was wondering how and when and if these questions get answered. I'm sure this question's been asked before, but there's a lot of material in this post.

If people don't have questions of their own, they find ones from here.  There's also a handy-dandy Google doc in the OP.