The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

If someone with access to the Surge of Transformation and Feruchemical zinc switched their focus into the Cognitive Realm, would their Feruchemical zinc act the same as Feruchemical steel?

Edited by kenod
Typo

7 hours ago, feldi said:

Since the chasm casued all the aons to stop working I think that you can probbly destroy other aons too by destroing their landmarks. After all aon are keys to the Aon Dor so if you break the key you cant open the lock.

But the Aons themselves were never broken, just changed. All the Aons in Elantris would start working again if the chasm line was added to them. So the question is, HOW would the Aon change if the valley was destroyed?

22 minutes ago, Eki said:

But the Aons themselves were never broken, just changed. All the Aons in Elantris would start working again if the chasm line was added to them. So the question is, HOW would the Aon change if the valley was destroyed?

I'm much more interested about how does Aon Mea describes/pictures/can'tfindtheword the 'Elantris effect'. Would it have any implications? Probably not, as the area is not influenced by Aon - it's the Aon that describes what is. So what would happen should we obliterate that valley? Where would the X mark go?

11 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I'm much more interested about how does Aon Mea describes/pictures/can'tfindtheword the 'Elantris effect'. Would it have any implications? Probably not, as the area is not influenced by Aon - it's the Aon that describes what is.

Yeah, we already know what would happen to the 'Elantris effect' if the Aon changed, since that's exactly what happened when the chasm appeared. Elantrians kept being created within the area.

23 minutes ago, Eki said:

Yeah, we already know what would happen to the 'Elantris effect' if the Aon changed, since that's exactly what happened when the chasm appeared. Elantrians kept being created within the area.

No, that's now what I mean. Not something changing all the Aons, like the Chasm. Something changing only Aon Mea (hence the whole napalm the valley thing) which "represents the region in which a person can be taken by the Shaod".

10 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

No, that's now what I mean. Not something changing all the Aons, like the Chasm. Something changing only Aon Mea (hence the whole napalm the valley thing) which "represents the region in which a person can be taken by the Shaod".

I don't see how that would be different in this context... The result would still be that Aon Mea changed, regardless of if other Aons did as well.

1 minute ago, Eki said:

I don't see how that would be different in this context... The result would still be that Aon Mea changed, regardless of if other Aons did as well.

OK, I know how to say it (I think):

I am not interested in Aon Mea by itself. Much more interesting is what it represents. What is the link between this valley and the area of Shaod? (these two are connected by the Aon Mea but the Aon is not what's important here) During the Reod it would be not-working but similarly to how Elantris kept creating Elantrians but not fully formed it would still keep it's original effects. However, what if we change something already existing in Aon instead of adding new lines?

BTW, what if there is a forest fire? How would the Aon for wood change? Its previous form would no longer work but a new one should.

13 hours ago, Oversleep said:

OK, I know how to say it (I think):

I am not interested in Aon Mea by itself. Much more interesting is what it represents. What is the link between this valley and the area of Shaod? (these two are connected by the Aon Mea but the Aon is not what's important here) During the Reod it would be not-working but similarly to how Elantris kept creating Elantrians but not fully formed it would still keep it's original effects. However, what if we change something already existing in Aon instead of adding new lines?

BTW, what if there is a forest fire? How would the Aon for wood change? Its previous form would no longer work but a new one should.

There are theoreticlly 2 types of Aons: those you can draw as part of a map and those you cant (at least so I think, after all how do you crate love with a map? Fire? Light? Truth? Beauty? I dont remember every Aon but some of them are ideals and not physical things) so I guess that if you cut every tree in all of Sel wood will become one of the ideals Aon instead of one of the physical ones. (Sorry on the double posting)

Is The Lord Ruler the offspring of a shard?

Is there a way to store your soul in objects to prevent you from dying?

Is there a set # of attributes that are spikable?

If someone was forged to be stronger, had their strength spiked out of them but survived, and finally unforged themselves would the amount of strength the spike was carrying diminish?

Could a mistborn burn a sentient piece of steel (like nightblood)?

On Ashyn could you die from one of the diseases?

If Kelsier was cloned would his clone be able to use Allomancy?

Is Allomancy the only magic system that is genetic?

How many types of hemalurgic constructs are there?

@Chaos I am was going through the question doc and found many questions that have answers that are already revealed and/or have a likely answer. I will post these answered questions here.

1. Cosmere characters #9: These events are unlikely to be related due to Vin having been influenced by a being in the cognitive realm.

2. Cosmere characters #5 and #14 are very similar and should possibly be combined into a single question.

3. Shards and magic #6: These are not the shard exercising a power, they are merely a natural manifestation of the shard's power.

4. Shards and magic #7: Any object used as a spike would have to be compatible with the general form of the system (metal).

5. Shards and magic #10: It was likely a mathematical sign. 16 x 16 x 4 = 1024.

6. Shards and magic #12: Probably. It's a physical feature of the Parshandi.

Edited by Straw

1 hour ago, Straw said:

If someone was forged to be stronger, had their strength spiked out of them but survived, and finally unforged themselves would the amount of strength the spike was carrying diminish?

1) Rashek was Kwaan's nephew, so unless the shards can mate with humans to make "demi-gods"(half-shards?:)), then no. That said, Ruin and Preservation created life on Scadrial, so by technicality....

2) I imagine that since your soul is stored in the object and not your body, your body might become a vegetable and/or die. That said, I cannot yet think of a way to store it in the first place, but I am no expert.

3) I believe Brandon has said that with the right knowledge you could steal "almost anything" so I would put the limit as equal to the total number of abilities. That said, we don't have any idea what that number is either.

4) I think the original body becomes irrelevant after the spike leaves it.

32 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

I am not so sure, the Forged-Spirit Web is sustained by the Dor...Maybe it would revert to his previous state once it's no more connected with the Seal

2 hours ago, Straw said:

He will probably need at least to snap, but I am unsure about the cloning in the cosmere.

2 hours ago, Straw said:

well at least Feruchemy and Awakening are genetics (also if the Awakening's genes are in the entire Nalthis popolation)

2 hours ago, Straw said:

We see only 4 types of Hemalurgy constructs but probably there are quite infinite possible kinds.

7 minutes ago, Yata said:

I am not so sure, the Forged-Spirit Web is sustained by the Dor...Maybe it would revert to his previous state once it's no more connected with the Seal

It's an interesting question for sure.  I would guess that the following happens: 1. investiture form the forgery alters the person's strength, and sustains it.  2. that investiture is pulled out into the spike, along with the atribute.  once it is in the spike, it should basically not matter where it came form, it is just investiture keyed to strength

10 minutes ago, Yata said:

He will probably need at least to snap, but I am unsure about the cloning in the cosmere.

agreed.  though I would want confirmation from Brandon that cloning would copy S-DNA intact.  that is definitely unclear.  but assuming it can, the clone would still have to snap before they could use allomancy

6 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

1) Rashek was Kwaan's nephew, so unless the shards can mate with humans to make "demi-gods"(half-shards?:)), then no. That said, Ruin and Preservation created life on Scadrial, so by technicality....

2) I imagine that since your soul is stored in the object and not your body, your body might become a vegetable and/or die. That said, I cannot yet think of a way to store it in the first place, but I am no expert.

3) I believe Brandon has said that with the right knowledge you could steal "almost anything" so I would put the limit as equal to the total number of abilities. That said, we don't have any idea what that number is either.

1. Brandon has confirmed that shards can have children.

4. Forging affects the past of an object so I was asking if the unforgiving would have any effect on the spike.

More questions!

Would a aluminum bullet be affected by a time bubble?

If a kandra had every Allomantic ability spiked into them, turned transparent, and burned steel what would the metal being burned look like?

How would burning tin affect someone with synaesthesia?

Could you spike flammablity?

When burning Allomantic steel, iron, bronze, zinc, and brass do you emit a type of wave? If so are brass and zinc electrical waves? If so are Steel and iron magnetic waves?

Could you spike things such as morality or opinion?

Could you spike a disease out of someone?

Does ettmetal have any uses in the metallic arts?

How much control does a shard have over the natural investure of their planet?

Is Lift's ability to turn matter into investure unique in surgebinders? Is her ability similar to burning a metal?

Is awakening end-positive, end-neutral, or end-negative?

With enough spikes could you spike out a person's entire soul and place it into an dead body to bring the body back to life except with the other person's soul gone and the new one replacing it? What would happen if you did this to Kelsier's body? What would happen if you did this to a lifeless? 

Is shardblade metal the physical representation of honor's power?

What if a kandra ate an elantrian?

Have we seen any of the representations of cultivation's power?

Could a Coppermind be used to create a artificial neural network?

Are there any representations of negative investure other than nightblood?

Can dead bodies be used as hemalurgic constructs?

What magic system is the least limiting?

2 hours ago, Straw said:

On Ashyn could you die from one of the diseases?

@Chaos I am was going through the question doc and found many questions that have answers that are already revealed and/or have a likely answer. I will post these answered questions here.

1. Cosmere characters #9: These events are unlikely to be related due to Vin having been influenced by a being in the cognitive realm.

2. Cosmere characters #5 and #14 are very similar and should possibly be combined into a single question.

3. Shards and magic #6: These are not the shard exercising a power, they are merely a natural manifestation of the shard's power.

4. Shards and magic #7: Any object used as a spike would have to be compatible with the general form of the system (metal).

5. Shards and magic #10: It was likely a mathematical sign. 16 x 16 x 4 = 1024.

6. Shards and magic #12: Probably. It's a physical feature of the Parshandi.

Pinging @Windrunner since I do not really manage this or have time to manage this. 

7 minutes ago, Straw said:

Is Lift's ability to turn matter into investure unique in surgebinders? Is her ability similar to burning a metal?

I think we have answers to these questions. Lift's ability seems to be unique to her in particular. It's a bit unclear what would happen if she had gained access to some other power though. (Or indeed if it did anything special before she was bonded.) And her ability has been described as "metabolizing sugar into Investiture", which is different from how metals work, since they are just keys. In Lift's case, it seems like sugar doesn't act like a key, but as an actual energy source.

17 minutes ago, Straw said:

Is shardblade metal the physical representation of honor's power?

Kind of an answer, but maybe not exactly what you mean:

Interview: Feb 20th, 2015

Question

Are shardblades made out of atium?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardblades are not but it is the same thing but from a different planet... It’s made out of the god’s body. See, you thought I was saying something really cool there but I wasn’t.

18 minutes ago, Straw said:

Is awakening end-positive, end-neutral, or end-negative?

It has to be end-positive, unless you count the wearing down of a Breath against the energy gained. But that energy isn't really lost, if I understand Breaths right. It just returns to Endowment.

27 minutes ago, Straw said:

Would a aluminum bullet be affected by a time bubble?

This was RAFO'd last year, but it might be worth asking again now that we have more books.

Interview: Feb 20th, 2015

Kurkistan

Speaking of interfering, if you shot an aluminum bullet through a time bubble, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Oooooh, that's a good question. I'm gonna' RAFO that one. It's an excellent question.

What is it about shooting aluminium through speed bubbles? Why's this question still asked?

The end fight of AoL, Vanishers loaded only aluminum bullets, there's a scene when Wayne's goldminds are near empty and he throws a speed bubble, sees bullet enter; he avoids it but since deflection gets scratched anyway and that's when he empties his goldminds.

4 hours ago, Straw said:

First off, we do not know the metal Nightblood's made of. Second, there is a WoB about burning Nightblood. It's gonna be very hard.
The question about spiking out Forged strength is similar to the WoB about burning Forged metal.

Seriously, @Straw, there are answers to some of your questions. Try to find them before you post, and if you can't we will be glad to help you :)

Edited by Oversleep

21 hours ago, Eki said:

It has to be end-positive, unless you count the wearing down of a Breath against the energy gained. But that energy isn't really lost, if I understand Breaths right. It just returns to Endowment.

Wasn't Breath end-neutral? Because the Breath is coming from the Awakener, not from an outside source?

2 minutes ago, kenod said:

Wasn't Breath end-neutral? Because the Breath is coming from the Awakener, not from an outside source?

Yup.

Source:

Q [30:33]: Is Awakening and BioChroma an end-neutral system?
A: Yes. You don't lose Breath in the process of Awakening.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Depends on your definition, I guess. "Normal" energy is added to the universe through Awakening, because it makes things move. Then again, Feruchemy has been stated to be end-neutral, and it can add or remove energy, so maybe it's just my definition that's wrong.

11 minutes ago, Eki said:

Depends on your definition, I guess. "Normal" energy is added to the universe through Awakening, because it makes things move. Then again, Feruchemy has been stated to be end-neutral, and it can add or remove energy, so maybe it's just my definition that's wrong.

The classification takes in count Investiture and Investiture only. You can build a first class perpetuum mobile with Feruchemy and it's still end-neutral because neither Investiture is provided from external source nor is it lost to some external source.

7 hours ago, Oversleep said:

The classification takes in count Investiture and Investiture only. You can build a first class perpetuum mobile with Feruchemy and it's still end-neutral because neither Investiture is provided from external source nor is it lost to some external source.

Ah, ok. Then it's just my definition that's wrong.

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Did Leras himself intentionally create the beads of Lerasium that were left near the Well of Ascension, or did someone else (a previous user of the Well, or Rashek, for instance)?

We know that Rashek didn't made the Lerasium, "He have to find them after his Ascension"...But actually we don't know if the Lerasium was made by Leras himself or another Hero (for a theory of mine I think the second, but It's not relevant here)