The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

Aon Mea has an x where there is a fertile valley with a lot of life and Cognitive presence. What would happen if someone just napalmed the whole valley into oblivion? Would the x disappear? Move? Stay?

1 hour ago, Eki said:

Aon Mea has an x where there is a fertile valley with a lot of life and Cognitive presence. What would happen if someone just napalmed the whole valley into oblivion? Would the x disappear? Move? Stay?

I like this question, it has all the hallmarks of getting an answer that is ripe for dissection and overanalysis.  

couple of 'em:

1. this has probably been asked before, but could Awakening be done with a different investiture substituted for Breath,  for example we know the returned can be sustained by stormlight, could an awakener use stormlight to awaken?

1a. what about a combination of investitures.  e.g. if awakening something would normally take 10 breaths, could you use 1 breath and some amount of stormlight equivalent to the rest of the breaths?

2. if a duralumin ferruchemist (lets say a compounder, so we don't need to worry about how much power is needed) were on Sel, in Arelon, and tapping connection, could they become an elantrian (i.e. could they be taken by the shaod)?

2a. if so, what would happen if they were to stop tapping their metalminds?

2b. I believe it has been stated that spiritual connection can be stolen with hemalurgy, but could the connection created by tapping a duraluminmind be stolen?  and how would it compare to a "natural" connection that had been stolen (e.g. would it decay at the same rate, etc)?

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

2. if a duralumin ferruchemist (lets say a compounder, so we don't need to worry about how much power is needed) were on Sel, in Arelon, and tapping connection, could they become an elantrian (i.e. could they be taken by the shaod)?

Manipulating Connection is usually useful in obtaining other magics [WoB] but it's not enough to become an Elantrian [WoB].

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Manipulating Connection is usually useful in obtaining other magics [WoB] but it's not enough to become an Elantrian [WoB].

not enough on it's own, sure, obviously being arelish is not enough to be an elantrian.  I know there are theories about what the other conditions are, but to my knowledge we don't have a confirmed answer on that.  but my question is basically either a. if someone who satisfies all the other conditions could get over their not having been born in arelon via tappign connection or b. if even with the connection part established, one of the other conditions still could not be satisfied (without some additional magic at least)

9 hours ago, Dunkum said:

1. this has probably been asked before, but could Awakening be done with a different investiture substituted for Breath,  for example we know the returned can be sustained by stormlight, could an awakener use stormlight to awaken?

1a. what about a combination of investitures.  e.g. if awakening something would normally take 10 breaths, could you use 1 breath and some amount of stormlight equivalent to the rest of the breaths?

We know that the greatest Awakenening Genius ever alive, didn't figure yet how to Awakening using Stormlight. This may mean it's impossible, or there are some technical problems.
(For example I think you may Awaken as usual with Stormlight, but the Light isn't sticky as Breath and leak away from the object in moments)

Since all humans in the Cosmere are based off of a pre-Shattering template, but are all technically aliens and have had evolution occur on their planets...

Do any humans in the Cosmere have any physical differences such as extra organs/arrangement of organs etc? Excluding anyone changed by Hemalurgy or becoming an Elantrian/Returned, or otherwise changed by Investiture.

On 17/10/2016 at 2:25 PM, Rawrbert said:

Since all humans in the Cosmere are based off of a pre-Shattering template, but are all technically aliens and have had evolution occur on their planets...

Do any humans in the Cosmere have any physical differences such as extra organs/arrangement of organs etc? Excluding anyone changed by Hemalurgy or becoming an Elantrian/Returned, or otherwise changed by Investiture.

Some of them are actually different. For example Scadrial people were alterated to allow them to not suffocate in an Ash world. Roshar's one has probably weaker bone and muscole for their low gravity and Taldain's one have to be capable of sustain UV radiation better than other Humans. But I don't think there are actually macroscopic anatomic differences

Edited by Yata

2 hours ago, Rawrbert said:

I mean, not like Time Lord-level differences, but only minor ones as far as we know. 

But, what about Aimians? How did they come about?

Edited by bleeder

13 minutes ago, bleeder said:

The Aimians like the Listeners and Dragons (I don't know if there are other Sapient Species in the Cosmere) are species completely separated by the Humans. Probably they are made directly by Adonalsium-Sama in his old good time as He did the mankind

3 hours ago, Yata said:

Some of them are actually different. For example Scadrial people would alterated to allow them to not suffocate in an Ash world. Roshar's one has probably weaker bone and muscole for their low gravity and Taldain's one have to be capable of sustain UV radiation better than other Humans. But I don't think there are actually macroscopic anatomic differences

True, I knew about the Ashen Scadrial people's differences, and the bone density for Rosharians, I was just curious about any we haven't seen that might be more noticable than microscopic changes like that. Would a Scadrian coronor performing an autopsy on a Selish person find their organs different, or a Kandra find the muscles/bones of a Rosharan difficult to mimic, for example?

2 hours ago, bleeder said:

I mean, not like Time Lord-level differences, but only minor ones as far as we know. 

True, and I wasn't sure to include Aimians or not, since there's something interesting there... I meant my question to encompass all base humans, so no Kandra, Koloss, Parshendi, Parshmen, Aimians, Radiants, Savants, or Elantrians, at least, since we know of Investiture based changes in physiology for most of them.

38 minutes ago, Rawrbert said:

True, and I wasn't sure to include Aimians or not, since there's something interesting there... I meant my question to encompass all base humans, so no Kandra, Koloss, Parshendi, Parshmen, Aimians, Radiants, Savants, or Elantrians, at least, since we know of Investiture based changes in physiology for most of them.

Yeah, those are more Spiritweb-y alterations.

How does Hemalurgy work with Cybernetics?  For example, if someone wanted to replace a missing arm with a synthetic replica (ignoring Investiture's known healing methods), could the electrodes that allowed one to control the arm double as spikes for anti-rejection purposes?  (I'm basing this off the known property of spikes to become "invisible" to a Hemalurgic victim's physiology post-spiking)  

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but here is a silly little question:

How bad an idea is it to store Feruchemical Fortune, Health, Mental speed and Age at the same time?  It seems to me that making yourself temporarily old, frail, and unlucky with a diminished ability to respond to stimulus could be a really, really bad idea.

On 19.10.2016 at 5:31 PM, Stark said:

Not sure if this has been asked yet, but here is a silly little question:

How bad an idea is it to store Feruchemical Fortune, Health, Mental speed and Age at the same time?  It seems to me that making yourself temporarily old, frail, and unlucky with a diminished ability to respond to stimulus could be a really, really bad idea.

Im not sure if you really want an answer for that but, yes, it will be a bad idea just much as storing so much breath that you choke to death or storing so mich heat that you die from hypothermia is a bad idea. There are a lot of bad ideas if you store metalminds without thinking first.

• 2 weeks later...

Are spikes keyed to the one who bears them? I mean, when Wax asks whether kandra couldn't give ReLuur one of the old Inquisitor spikes to make him sane again, VenDell replies that each spike they use is specifically created for them.

In AoL, Wax remarks that once somebody started Compounding (tapping non-stop) it would be dangerous to stop. Why?

Edited by Oversleep

10 hours ago, Oversleep said:

AoL, Wax remarks that once somebody started Compounding (tapping non-stop) it would be dangerous to stop. Why?

Pretty sure this is just because the body would get used to the constant healing (it was about gold compounding, right?), meaning it couldn't sustain itself on 'normal' healing anymore.

Also, we know that Inquisitors reused spikes. Kandra could be different though. Their spikes help them think, which doesn't seem to be the case for Inquisitors (or indeed humans). Inquisitor spikes don't have the same attributes as blessings either, for the particular case you mentioned.

I think if you spiked a mistwraith, you could use any blessings, but that you can't switch blessings once they've started getting sentient. At least not without making them feel very uncomfortable. It might be like trying to squeeze round thoughts through a square hole, so to speak.

Edited by Eki

32 minutes ago, Eki said:

Pretty sure this is just because the body would get used to the constant healing (it was about gold compounding, right?), meaning it couldn't sustain itself on 'normal' healing anymore.

Also, we know that Inquisitors reused spikes. Kandra could be different though. Their spikes help them think, which doesn't seem to be the case for Inquisitors (or indeed humans). Inquisitor spikes don't have the same attributes as blessings either, for the particular case you mentioned.

I think if you spiked a mistwraith, you could use any blessings, but that you can't switch blessings once they've started getting sentient. At least not without making them feel very uncomfortable. It might be like trying to squeeze round thoughts through a square hole, so to speak.

And yet, TenSoon switched Blessings, and even used both sets for a time I think (he had OreSeur's Blessings of Potency, along with his own Blessings of Presence, IIRC). It didn't seem to affect him at all to switch.

1 minute ago, Jondesu said:

And yet, TenSoon switched Blessings, and even used both sets for a time I think (he had OreSeur's Blessings of Potency, along with his own Blessings of Presence, IIRC). It didn't seem to affect him at all to switch.

I don't think he ever switched, but he did use both. (Except when going back to the Homeland, then he hid OreSeur's spikes outside.) I'm pretty sure there is a WoB on that subject already, or maybe even a quote from the books, but I can't find it.

Reminder: " Aon Mea references the expanded region within which the "Elantris Effect" will create Elantrians."
What would have happened if somebody went to that "fertile valley with a high density of life and cognitive activity" marked by X in Aon Mea and killed and burned everything?

6 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Reminder: " Aon Mea references the expanded region within which the "Elantris Effect" will create Elantrians."
What would have happened if somebody went to that "fertile valley with a high density of life and cognitive activity" marked by X in Aon Mea and killed and burned everything?

I asked the same question earlier this page :P

On 6.11.2016 at 0:36 AM, Oversleep said:

Since the chasm casued all the aons to stop working I think that you can probbly destroy other aons too by destroing their landmarks. After all aon are keys to the Aon Dor so if you break the key you cant open the lock.