List of possible Worldhoppers

Jimmy moon

I thought it might be good to have a list of characters who could possibly be worldhoppers. I was intrigued by this interview with Brandon indicating that there are a lot of, as of now, unidentified worldhoppers in WoK.

/>LEXIE
Will there be other crossover characters like Hoid?

BRANDON SANDERSON
There already have been.

LEXIE
Really?

BRANDON SANDERSONM
Yes.

LEXIE
Can you tell?

BRANDON SANDERSON
I cannot say more than that, I think that they’re placed quite obviously, they were not very obvious before this book, they do exist, other crossovers do exist. But none so obvious as Hoid. I think there are several obvious ones in this novel, no one has yet found them that I know, but I think once they see them- once you look closely they’re there.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=763#4

Here's a place to speculate on worldhoppers; who they are, why they are hopping, and what other books they are from 

One person that i am fairly sure is a worldhopper is a beggar that appears in the prologue to WoK:

/quote

Szeth left the feasting chamber behind. Just outside, he passed the doorway into the Beggar's Feast... A man with a long grey and black beard slumped in the doorway, smmiling foolishly-though whether from wine or a weak mind, Szeth could not tell.

"Have you seen me?" the man asked with slurred speech. He laughed then becan to speak in gibberish reaching for a wineskin. So it was drink after all. Szeth brushed by.

/endquote

The "Have you seen me" line seems like a fairly obvious giveaway. I don't know what book he'd be from though. Any ideas?

Edited by Jimmy moon

The thief who breaks artwork in one of the WoK interludes seems like she might be a worldhopper, because she's described in a similar way as Demoux and Galladon. I also can't help but think of Ham whenever I re-read the chapter where Kaladin first wears the parshendi bone armor. The soldier who comes up to steal a water skin from Lopen just sounded a lot like Ham, with the sleeves being rolled up on his uniform and everything.

The prevailing theory for the woman destroying art is that she is Shallash.

Edit:  That actually might have been confirmed, or as good as.  I can't quite remember.

Edited by WeiryWriter

The main evidence for that comes from this epigraph.

“A woman sits and scratches out her own eyes. Daughter of kings and winds, the vandal.”

--Dated Nanakah, 1173, 73 seconds pre-death. Subject: A beggar of some renown, known for his elegant songs.

Considering Shalash (That's the correct spelling, by the way) is associated with creativity and the woman scratches out the eyes of a statue, there's some indication. I personally like the idea that she's Jezrien's daughter.

Why do you say that?

As you pointed out, the guy just seems suspicious. The way he asks "Have you seen me?" reminds me of the milk-carton lost child adds we had in grade-school. Who disappeared suddenly and is currently still missing? What face should be instantly recognizable to the god fearing Alethi nobility? One of the Heralds. Add to that his statue around the corner and you have some very fun Irony.

Why do you say that?

There are Herald statues somewhere near the "Have you seen me?" beggar guy. I think they're outside his room, and Szeth stopped to look in a door at him, then walked past the statues in the hallway outside, but it's not 100% clear. But if that's the setup, the beggar knows there are Herald statues outside his room, and when he sees Szeth in the doorway, he's asking Szeth if he's seen his statue.

Blabbing hints of his secret identity is stupid, incoherent, or both, so it requires that he actually be drunk and not making sense. He could be a Herald that wants to die, but won't kill himself due to the whole "eternal torture" thing, so stays drunk 24/7 and seeks obscurity as a beggar instead. Or something like that. I don't know why Isomere guessed Ishi specifically. The hair color doesn't match Jezrien's in the Prelude, and it can't be Taln, but that's as far as I got narrowing it down.

Edited by Morsk

As you pointed out, the guy just seems suspicious. The way he asks "Have you seen me?" reminds me of the milk-carton lost child adds we had in grade-school. Who disappeared suddenly and is currently still missing? What face should be instantly recognizable to the god fearing Alethi nobility? One of the Heralds. Add to that his statue around the corner and you have some very fun Irony.

I'm pretty sure that the Alethi don't really know what the Heralds look like anymore. Their faces in TWoK, which are all based on in-world images, have been described as Brandon as more iconography than a factual description.

I am curious why it's Ishi that's been chosen though. All five male Heralds are present, and as Morsk said, two are pretty impossible, but that still leaves a one in three chance that it's him, assuming it's even a Herald at all. Nalan, Kalak, and Ishar (Ishi's real name) are all possible. I'd like to see more convincing evidence that it's a Herald, let alone one of them in particular. I think we jump the gun sometimes when trying to find them in the story.

While there are some clues, this is all wild speculation and guesses mingled with mad picture-matching skills. I'm gonna go ahead and assume he's not a transvestite, and he can't be Taln. That leaves us with Jez, Nan, Kak and Ishi. This guy doesn't strike me as resembling Jezrien or Kalak from the prologue. Picking between Ishi and Nan, we are looking for an old dude with a beard so I chose Ishi. And before you ask, heralds implode if they disguise their appearance or grow new facial hair.

Do we even get a description of Kalak in the prologue? It's from his eyes, so I'd assume that's a no. And I'll repeat what I said early, it's been strongly indicated that the chapter icons don't represent the actual appearance of the Heralds. We haven't even had confirmation on which Herald each icon is supposed to represent.

I'm going to guess Slowswift.  Just because he's a minor character based off Tolkien and seemingly completely mundane doesn't also mean he isn't a worldhopper.

I'm assuming that Brandon will give us a sporting chance and, y'know, actually give the worldhoppers names.

Actually, lemme add Vasher to the list, since he uses the term 'investiture', which is the same term the 17th shard uses.  He could have easily been adventuring on other worlds during his exile or something.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

By exile, do you mean the time between when Vasher gave up his Breaths and the events of Warbreaker? Cause, I think it'd be pretty hard to be a Worldhopper without picking up some idea of the Shards along the way, and he didn't seem to have any better idea about them than Vivenna in the end of Warbreaker.

I know what Warbreaker says, Phantom... I said that he didn't give any indication that he knew about Endowment or any of the other Shards, which are, by definition, spiritual in nature. I strongly disagree that he knew anyone from the Seventeenth Shard, or if he did, that he knew that there was anything special about them.

I know what Warbreaker says, Phantom... I said that he didn't give any indication that he knew about Endowment or any of the other Shards, which are, by definition, spiritual in nature. I strongly disagree that he knew anyone from the Seventeenth Shard, or if he did, that he knew that there was anything special about them.

Well, I'm not sure if we was using spiritual in terms of 'spiritual realm' or spiritual as a more colloquial religious thing.  Sazed himself had a bit of a religious crisis upon ascending.  And even if he managed to figure out worldhopping on his own (or hung out with some barely-clued-in worldhoppers), that doesn't necessarily mean he'd be familiar with shards.  I don't think Jasnath, for instance, knows anything about shards, but she's got shadesmar access anyway.  I don't think it's implausible for someone to bumble around between worlds without getting a good handle on the bigger picture.

Regardless, Vasher's the only guy we've seen (outside the ars arcanums) who actually calls it 'investiture'.  Now it might've just been an old sharder friend he once had, with no actual worldhopping involved on Vasher's part, or maybe the seventeenth shard liked the terminology in Vasher's research and the name stuck for general 'put magicalness in' terminology... I just find it weird since it varies from world to world, and then Vasher drops the term in the middle of his explanation.

Of course, it could've been one of the four other Scholars who knew a worldhopper, and Vasher never got all the information from his research buds.  Could have gone research bud to seventeenth shard after they split up, too. 

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=691

Q: This one is a personal favor... See, for metals that have Feruchemy, this verb is "charge". A metal is Feruchemically charged. But, you've been using the term "charge" for Hemalurgic metals, too, which I think is confusing. Before HoA I called Hemalurgic metals "Imbued" metals. I humbly petition to have that be the official term, because it's just confusing otherwise.

A: The Seventeenth Shard members use the term of Invest for all of those type of things. However, what they use in world is different on each world. For example WoK is infuse.

Incidentally, based on what I can tell from the timeline, seems that the Manywar was occurring roughly contemporaneously with Hero of Ages (Alloy of Law and Warbreaker are around the same time, and the Manywar was 300 years before).  Not sure if that means there was some cross-world repercussions or not; seems like Sazed getting two shards would upset whatever status quo of worldhoppers existed, and that might've resulted in scouting for more recruits.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Well, given the cosmere timeline it could also be that Vasher started worldhopping AFTER Warbreaker, and 17th Sharders picked up the term investiture from him then.

Also, any chance Brandon was being clever with his answer, and some of the obvious worldhoppers we saw in TWOK were already native to Roshar, rather than visiting from other worlds/books?  For instance, the Heralds, particularly if Damnation is on another world, they'd certainly all qualify, and we know several of them were in TWOK.

Well, given the cosmere timeline it could also be that Vasher started worldhopping AFTER Warbreaker, and 17th Sharders picked up the term investiture from him then.

I kinda got the impression that they were using 'invest' back during the Hero of Ages era - which is around the Manywar era. 

I think it's a little more likely that Vasher got the term from someone else than the other way around, but... hmm.  I can't recall how long the Five Scholars were doing their stuff before the Manywar.

Some good points have been brought up, here. What's our earliest (in-universe) use of the word Investiture? Brandon has been saying it for years but I don't think we ever read it in-universe before warbreaker and alloy. Does this term appear in Elantris? Or even TES (though I don't think we know where that falls on the cosmere timeline)?

I like the idea of his research being the foundation upon which the ars arcanum author has based their analyses of all other magic systems.

I kinda got the impression that they were using 'invest' back during the Hero of Ages era - which is around the Manywar era. 

I think it's a little more likely that Vasher got the term from someone else than the other way around, but... hmm.  I can't recall how long the Five Scholars were doing their stuff before the Manywar.

I'm re-listening to Warbreaker and I just got to the part where Hoid is telling Siri and Lightsong his stories. It said that the Five Scholars were 400 years ago, 100 years prior to the Manywar.

I like the idea of Vasher's research being used as the basis of the Ars Arcanum, but I also kind of doubt it at the same time.