HARRE question

hafje

So I searched for a thread about this short but didn't find any. I really liked it, especially the concept of the boilers, resembling zerg-like machines, and their constantly changing and adapting behaviors.

However, there was one thing I didn't understand in this short: the concept of inflation scoops. I just don't get what they do, so if someone could explain them to me it would be greatly appreciated.

They're something Nicolette's ship uses.

Two relevant quotes:

"That would be the second-stage inflation scoops. Outside, hundreds more of the little spheres were lining up to get inflated with superheated air and then roll away on smart velcro into the thick braking ribbons trailing behind Nicolette."

"Nicolette peeled away and shot to the south, her lift spheres held in a streamlined bullet shape by their smart velcro. Her cockpit and lasers were inside the mass of spheres somewhere. As she rose back into the railgun’s target zone, she took a glancing hit. The spheres rippled, parted to let the missile pass, and then reformed again. A hundred meters beyond her the round exploded. She clawed for height, changing shape for more lift. She shrank smaller until he couldn’t pick her out anymore."

It's probably because English isn't my first language, but I'm really unable to understand what they do.

Ah, that's right. Thank you for the quotes. It sounds like the inflation scoops are simply inverted funnels that capture air during the descent into the atmosphere. 

As best I can tell, these scoops channel the air into "lift spheres," which are basically sturdy balloons. Initially, these balloons are used for their large area, acting as parachutes to slow the ship's descent. Later, these spheres are used to make up the modular body of the aircraft: they appear to be actively positioned to change the aircraft's shape and aerodynamics. Since the air inside was heated by the compression of atmospheric entry, the hot air in the inflated balloons will also provide lift.

Now that you mention it, I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread on this story yet. Thanks for starting one!

Well thank you very much.

One last bit: do you think the smart velcro is what's controlling the movements of the spheres, forming the patterns and changing shape to let missiles pass through?

Edited by hafje