What are you playing right now?

41 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Pair-up is so broken. It's the best. As for my ships: Ricken and Sully, Chrom and Robin (cause that pair up is even more broken than most), Lissa and Lon'qu, Gaius and Cordelia, Fredrick and Sumia, Lucina and Inigo, Stahl and Olivia, and Morgan and Severa. I wish I had been able to see some more supports, and that might be something I look into on future playthroughs/ maybe buy the Artbook.

Reveal hidden contents

And when they did the final cutscene before showing off Chrom and Robin's paired ending- I swear I burst into tears. Just so happy, and when you realize that this was gonna be the last FE game, Chrom saying "It's finally over", it just hit me

Yeah, from the opening fight, to the final one, Chrom's CGI cutscenes get me every time. 

Check out the Fire Emblem Wiki for all of the supports, or look them up on YouTube if you want! 

My pairings are:

Chrom x Olivia - Chrom!Inigo is a PHENOMENAL unit - just as good if not better than Stahl!Inigo - and looks almost exactly like Chrom. And a lot of Inigo's quirks and trauma make sense if Chrom's his father. Lucina gains Galeforce AND Swordfaire, making her a phenomenal offensive unit (I usually do Aether, Rightful King, Galeforce, Astra, Swordfaire as a loadout, but I think Astra lowers the chances of Aether, so I should really give her Aegis or Lancefaire and then either the Luna lance or the Sol sword). 

Frederick x Panne - Yarne's hypochondriac behavior is like Frederick's paranoia turned up to 11. Both provide Yarne with a great chunk of strength, and Panne's natural speed offsets Frederick's negative speed growth. Yarne gets some really nice classes out of it too. (He can't inherit the Wyvern Rider class unless his dad has it).

Ricken x Miriel - Laurent gains one of the highest magic stats in the game. Combine that with Luna, and Laurent becomes a force to be reckoned with, despite his lack of Galeforce (which admittedly is overrated and unecessary in most playthroughs). 

Henry x Lissa - Super cute supports with each other, Henry's the only father that's not mad at Owain in their B support, and a lot of Owain's personality makes sense with Henry as a father. Owain gains some really nice stats and classes out of it too (Although I do understand the appeal for Lissa x Lon'qu.)

Spoiler

Besides, it makes Fates Conquest and Revelation, if Odin romances Elise, so much more like history repeating itself: a quirky and weird dark mage mysterious appears and joins your group, romancing a young blonde princess in the process. The child is just like their father. Is this Owain or Ophelia?

Stahl x Cordelia - Cute supports and this produces easily one of the best Severa's I've ever used (Robin!Severa takes the cake, but I'm not a giant fan of the two together since neither Severa nor Morgan needs Robin as a father. Lon'qu!Severa is third). 

Gregor x Cherche - They actually have a shared history with Minerva, and it turns Gerome into a solid Hero or paired-up Wyvern Lord (but getting Cherche to pass down Dual Support+ is a slog no one should ever have to suffer through...)

Gaius x Sumia - Speedy Cynthia is the best. But Gaius x Tharja also works wonders

Vaike x Sully - Axefaire Kjelle is where it's at!

Donnel x Nowi - He's one of the two character who feels age-appropriate for Nowi, and passing down Aptitude as well as the ability to learn Galeforce is too much fun to pass up.

Maribelle is usually shipped with Libra, but in my most recent playthrough (a couple months ago) I paired her with Lon'qu, and I really liked their supports this time around. Brady as Lon'qui's son makes sense in the way that Lon'qu would probably have VERY mixed feelings over his son being a healer. On one hand, Brady would never have to live by the sword and expect to die by it too. On the other hand, Lon'qu couldn't pass down the one thing he probably feels competent at. And Brady being the second/third youngest child chronologically (Morgan's the youngest I believe, but Laurent WAS the youngest before everything happened) makes sense with Lon'qu's gynophobia. 

M!Robin either is paired up with Tharja (because I'm trash), Panne when the mood strikes, or Lucina on very rare occasions. But usually I pair M!Robin up with

Spoiler

Emmeryn or Aversa.

I don't like pairing Robin up with Second Gen characters, and most of my First Gen gals have ships already. Which leaves these two, Say'ri (who I like but is too flat of a character to do anything with), or Flavia (and we all know she's with Basilio). 

Emmeryn is fun because then you have a whole family of amnesiacs! Terribleness aside, Emmeryn provides Morgan with the best magic cap possible for a first gen mother. use a Magic+/Luck or Strength - Robin, reclass to Sorceror, and you've got yourself a monster magical unit. My head-canon is that Morgan's ideal class for this pair is Sorceror. So you have Emmeryn and Lissa as "holy" magic users, and then comes Morgan excelling in a "dark" magic class yet able to use both equally (I give her Book of Naga and Goetia). 

Aversa is honestly my pick for Morgan's "canon" mom, if she were to have one. None of the other second gen units seem to recognize Morgan, yet in "The Future Past" DLC stories Morgan (both gendered versions actually) exists.* If Aversa was the one who took primary custody of Morgan, or if Morgan was kept away from Robin's allies because he didn't want them to question who the mother was (who he might already know given that this version of Robin still had his memories), then it would explain why none of Lucina's friends knew about her. Aversa is also one of the few mothers that gives Morgan hair color similar to generic Robin, which I like

But most importantly, Shadowgift Sage Morgan is a RIOT to use. Outfit her with Shadowgift, Galeforce, and a few Rally skills (Strength/Spectrum/Resistance or another gender-locked Rally), and you can Mire someone from across the map and use Galeforce to either heal or Rally. It's hilariously fun. 

*Points against this include the fact that in the DLC, F!Morgan's class is Wyvern Lord, while M!Morgan's class is Sorceror. That would imply that M!Robin is a physical unit while F!Robin is a magical one, when I prefer them to be switched. Oh well, there aren't any "canon" choices, so it doesn't really matter either way. 

F!Robin is usually paired up with: 

Spoiler

Priam. I like the hair color he gives Morgan, and I really like the idea that Morgan inherits Ragnell. And Priam's a fun unit, despite the controversy he brings into the game. 

...yeah, I've played a LOT of Awakening...

Edited by Use the Falchion

I gave my Robin a defense boon, and with Morgan having Rightful King, he was Ignis'ing all over the place, and tanking everything before yelling "Checkmate!" and destroying anything in his path. Grandmaster is a beautiful class (C'mon Mortal Savant. Why couldn't you do something more like this?)

1 minute ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I gave my Robin a defense boon, and with Morgan having Rightful King, he was Ignis'ing all over the place, and tanking everything before yelling "Checkmate!" and destroying anything in his path. Grandmaster is a beautiful class (C'mon Mortal Savant. Why couldn't you do something more like this?)

If you ever invest in Awakening's DLC, I highly recommend picking up the one that nets you Dread Fighter. Swords, Axes, MAGIC. You get the skills Aggressor (+10 attack during the user's turn) and Resistance +10 (exactly what it says on the tin). Stats hit the high 30's and low to mid 40's, and it levels up like a beginner class to a max level of 30. The bad news is that it's gender locked to males. 

Female units get Bride. Yes, I'm serious. And yes, that's a stupid thing to me. Lances, Bows, and Staffs. The skills are Rally Heart (Grants All Stats +2 and Movement +1 for a turn. It does stack with other Rally skills) and Bond (restores 10 HP to all allies within a 3 tile radius. It stacks with Renewal). 

None of the skills can be passed down to children of the opposite gender either. But the classes still have their uses. 

People thinking about the skills and resulting units while pairing up people and here I am, thinking only about the shipping part. Thanks to that my understanding of skills is minimal if not null and most of my units are severely underleveled, but in exchange almost everyone has a partner now.

8 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

People thinking about the skills and resulting units while pairing up people and here I am, thinking only about the shipping part. Thanks to that my understanding of skills is minimal if not null and most of my units are severely underleveled, but in exchange almost everyone has a partner now.

That's why I like to balance the shipping and the skills...or rather, use the skills to justify my shipping! (And the only skill that matters is Galeforce and even then on Lunatic and Lunatic+)

@Eluvianii, who do you ship?

11 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

That's a perfectly reasonable way to go about it! Heck, the only pairup where I actively considered skills and bonuses was Chrobin (oh yeah, it's big brain time). People just ended up pretty decent

I go mostly for vanilla ones, if you can call them that since that technically doesn't exist here, so maybe, the ones that look most vanilla at first glance? So, ChromxSumia (like, it's in the freaking opening), LissaxDonnel (most adorable confession so far), Gaius is with Olivia and it's working pretty well but I made note of pairing him with Sumia in a second run because pies. GregorxCherche I did as a wild card and what a surprise. 

I'm having trouble remembering all of them because it's been a while since I've played. I'm a bit stuck recruiting the children thanks to the lack of experience everyone got to make sure the children existed in the first place. What a paradox.

The Big in Japan sale is back. Only thing interesting me this time is Tales of Vespiria which I will likely get. My Tales knowledge is very limited..only ever played and didn’t even finish Symphonia on GC when new. I bought Bersia last sale. It’s gonna be a lonnng time before I even get round to it.

I had been doing side-quest after side-quest in Xenoblade Chronicles for a while. I've just been informed that all this time I've been doing post-game content and am now overleveled for the final battle. Guess I should continue the story.

Edit: I should double check next time I see that kind of information. It was indeed post-game content but it implies starting the game from scratch :wacko: 

I kept both saves just in case.

Anyway, I can't believe I finally beat this game after an eternity in the backburner. I shouldn't have let that happen, the experience now feels underwhelming.

I'm really tempted to start a second game right away and give it the attention it deserves (which hopefully would mean finishing the game in less than two years this time), but I just know the same would happen. I need to lessen the amount of games I'm playing by a lot before doing that, but it'll happen.

Am I the only one that felt that story/worldbuilding were completely disconnected from gameplay/world? I don't know exactly how to describe it but it felt off.

The music was amazing, While I Think, Imperial Capital Agniratha, and Engage the Enemy will be haunting me for a while. I ended up hating that theme that sounds when you change things in battle but that's for an entirely different reason, every track in the game is masterful.

Doing side-quests was kind of addictive too, no matter how uninteresting they were. I've heard the average time to finish the game is around 60-80 hours, but my clear save shows 141. I honestly find it hard to believe even 80 but either way, more game is always better.

This game wasn't meant to be played in an old tv by the way. Everything is so detailed, it hurts the eyes to see in 480p. I'll need to do something about that.

Overall I loved it. I do have some mixed feelings about it but, I did take two years (or more) to finish it. Likely most of what I would say would be thanks to me forgetting how the experience felt at the moment. I don't think I'll be able to fully appreciate this game until I do a second run, this time focusing solely on it, so I'm looking forward to that.

Edited by Eluvianii

Started a Fire Emblem Awakening playthrough in order to romance

Spoiler

Emmeryn. 

I'm blasting through this game so much faster than my previous playthroughs, mostly because I'm focusing less on pairing everyone up (and I got lucky with how many Second Seals I was able to buy from Anna before Chapter 14). Marribelle, Lissa, Cordelia, Panne, Cherche, and Chrom are all paired up and they are more than enough. Sully, Miriel, and Libra are on standby; Anna is used when Robin needs a pair-up or on a map that has chests. Unfortunately my characters haven't been as blessed by RNG as they usually are: Miriel barely has any magic despite her time as a Troubadour and Valkyrie (although her resistance is through the roof), Chrom is usually much faster than his opponents even as a Great Knight, Lissa and Maribelle get magic every other level if I'm lucky (and Lissa isn't hasn't even gained good strength gains to make up for it!), and Robin's stats have been very disappointing. This isn't a giant problem due to the excessive amount of grinding I do for Galeforce (look, I've done my time without grinding in the years before it was even a thing to the multiple playthroughs and literal DAYS I spent with Awakening before buying the DLC map), but it is mildly annoying. 

But now that I've started, I want to romance Say'ri instead. I'm not changing course, but it does give me some inspiration for next time (in about three months or so).

I'm also two chapters/months or so away from beating my NG+ DLC included Golden Deer run in Three Houses. I'll probably finish it during this upcoming weekend and put it away for a bit. I'm behind on my reading goals for this year (only by a book, but still), so after all of my papers are in, that'll be my focus of the month. Ideally. Surprsing MVP's have been my Wyvern Squad (Seteth, Ashe, and Petra), my DLC girls (Constance and Hapi), and my Late-Bloomers (Raphael, Mercedes, Marianne). Making Ingrid a dancer was funny but ultimately not what I want or need from her. Ingrid had the levels, but not the magical or physical bulk I wanted. I'll probably go back to Marianne next time, since she can be an all-purpose unit that way. 

On 5/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, Eluvianii said:

I'm really tempted to start a second game right away and give it the attention it deserves (which hopefully would mean finishing the game in less than two years this time), but I just know the same would happen. I need to lessen the amount of games I'm playing by a lot before doing that, but it'll happen.

Wait for the remaster later this month

On 5/1/2020 at 6:13 PM, Eluvianii said:

Wait for the remaster later this month

As of this morning, I romanced the character I set out to in Fire Emblem Awakening, recruited Morgan, changed her to the optimal class, and used stat boosters to max out her magic. When all was said and done, my Sorcerer Morgan had 53 Magic, with 10 extra magic due to Tomefaire and the Valflame tome equipped. Training her up was hilarious because I had her inherit counter, and that worked REALLY well with Vengeance, Nosferatu, and pairing up with Morgan's mother. She'd get hit by a physical attack, activate Vengeance, and use Nosferatu to gain back every single point of health. 

Now I'm not sure if I want to romance Panne (I like her better as a mom for Morgan and I like brown-haired Morgan, but I HATE Yarne) or Say'ri (I like the idea of her passing down Amatetsu, but I don't want Morgan Sword-locked...or maybe I do?), but I don't think I want to do either any time soon. 

MVP was Maribelle. Maribelle had the best RNG out of all of my magic users, and pairing her up with Lon'qu meant that she could double nearly everything (and anything she couldn't double, Lon'qu would kill with pair-up). I didn't recruit the resulting Brady this time through, but maybe another time.

Next on my list is to finish up Fire Emblem Three Houses, and then catch up on all of the reading I'm behind on...

Edit: I have just learned that Sage has a higher Magic cap than Sorcerer. However, that wouldn't leave me with a Morgan that can use Goetia and Book of Naga in that class, so I guess I'll stick with my other magical Morgan. It was fun while it lasted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jaywalk said:

Picked up Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition today. It’s the best way to play my favorite game of all time! 

How is it? I’m planning on picking it up eventually but I don’t have the time right now, and it’s not a burning need for me since I’ve already played it. But does it live up to the original?

24 minutes ago, The Awakened Salad said:

How is it? I’m planning on picking it up eventually but I don’t have the time right now, and it’s not a burning need for me since I’ve already played it. But does it live up to the original?

It’s lovely! It definitely lives up to the original, and there’s a bunch of little quality of life improvements that make it an even better experience. (And Fashion Armor is back from XCX, so you don’t have to deal with looking at ugly armor while having great stats.)