What are you playing right now?

I recently started playing Skyrim and I am loving it so far! The map is huge and exploring is really fun. The fighting system is great too, especially archery. I've also stolen practically everything that I can get my hands on (so. much. cutlery.). 

Edited by Lunamor

You know what? I'm only barely halfway through the FFVII remake and I'll agree with @Draginonthat it's better than the original. 

Sure, things like Wedge's "I'm fat and always hungry" characterization are kinda stupid, but then you have moments like playing as Aerith, a decidedly long range fighter, facing down some dastardly gang members closing in on her. What's a long range fighter to do? Sorcerous Storm! Ka-BLAM-O! Now the surviving malcontents are fleeing to fight the trained killing machine with the massive sword because they have a better chance against him! 

9 hours ago, Orlion the Platypus said:

You know what? I'm only barely halfway through the FFVII remake and I'll agree with @Draginonthat it's better than the original. 

Sure, things like Wedge's "I'm fat and always hungry" characterization are kinda stupid, but then you have moments like playing as Aerith, a decidedly long range fighter, facing down some dastardly gang members closing in on her. What's a long range fighter to do? Sorcerous Storm! Ka-BLAM-O! Now the surviving malcontents are fleeing to fight the trained killing machine with the massive sword because they have a better chance against him! 

Well the Wedge stuff is in line with the original, they just added more to him to make you actually care about him. I also think in Japan it’s not considered insensitive to do fat jokes because it goes more in the mindset of “OMG that’s true! I’m just like that” type of humor where you can laugh at yourself.

I do like they made Aerith more of an offensive character while still keeping her in line with how she was in the original.

Kind of sad how many people just go “they changed too much! Aerith isn’t pure anymore. Why is Tifa shy? Why does Sephiroth have a wing that was introduced in Kingdom Hearts?” but 90% of those complaints can be countered with “did you even play the original or the rest of the Compilation? Aerith was never pure, Tifa was always a bit shy and the wing was shown in Advent Children and Crisis Core” so it makes you wonder if those complainers are fans of FF7 or just fans of the perceived version of FF7 where Cloud is a badass loner, Aerith the Incorruptible and Tifa the Bruiser.

Finished Pokemon Sword a little past midnight! 

TL;DR - I think this was a good game, but not a great one.

There are a lot of things to like in this new generation: Bede was almost a return to form in the "jerk rival" category, the new pokemon designs are really fun and innovative at times, GALARIAN DARAMUTA, the new gym leaders (NESSA) and stadium style matches are really fun (although I'm not too fond of the puzzles beforehand and the giant stadium always filling up doesn't fit the smaller cities such as Opal's). I enjoyed the first few towns and their rustic feels and how the camera would sweep over the hills (...until I found that the camera only works in one direction, and walking backwards through this was a PAIN). Marnie and that redheaded professor adjutant were fun too! And Piers. I can't forget Piers.  

Hop isn't a good rival, but he does gain some characterization in the post-game, and that counts for something. 

I genuinely liked the final tournament before battling the champion. You get to fight old gym leaders with their "true" teams and it's super fun. 

Spoiler

And right as you're about to fight the champion, THE GAME DECIDES IT'S TIME TO FIGHT THE "BIG BAD" WHO ISN'T EVEN BAD AND THEN FIGHT A LEGENDARY. HAD HE WAITED A STUPID DAY EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE. THIS GAME DESTROYS ALL NARRATIVE TENSION FOR A BAD PLOT TWIST THAT DOESN'T EVEN CHANGE ANYTHING. AND THAT LEGENDARY FIGHT? IT'S A MAX RAID BATTLE. AGAINST A NEW LEGENDARY. THAT YOU HAVE TO CAPTURE INSTEAD OF THE ONE THAT SHOWS UP THROUGHOUT THE GAME. NO, YOU CAPTURE THE MAIN LEGENDARY IN. THE. STORMING. POST-GAME.

The Wild Area was actually pretty fun, and Dynamax Raids provided interesting ways to acquire new items.

But unfortunately, that's about it. 

Sword and Shield's story is terribly uninspired, while the post-game can be knocked out in an hour or so and doesn't really solve or add anything of note. The villains are non-existent with the most offending villains coming in the post-game (case and point, at one point an ally is betrayed by an assistant...who we know for all of three minutes and NEVER EVEN GETS NAMED. The ally takes it very personally...and then is over it in the next scene. Are we supposed to feel shocked? Betrayed? Sad? No emotion can convey this well because we don't know anything about the person who betrayed us, not even their name). Team Yell can't even be called villains or antagonists. They're just annoying fans from a city that are more obnoxious than evil. Even Team Skull was more threatening! 

The starters become way too...human...in their final forms and it's unsettling. Some of the best designs were when starters were animals or monsters, go back to that Game Freak! And the legendaries wee so bland and forgetful! WOLVES ARE MY FAVORITE ANIMALS AND EVEN THEN THE LEGENDARIES WERE BLAND AND FORGETFUL. 

The routes were VERY straightforward and very, VERY short, making the journey to each new city about a five or ten minute walk, depending on how many trainers are in your way. And once you unlock the train system to travel - not that you need it because you can call air taxis to pick you up from anywhere to take you to just about every other place you've visited - travel becomes even easier. 

I guess that's the biggest problem with this game - everything is too convenient. In earlier games, getting home after a certain point became inconvenient if not downright impossible. Routes would be blocked off by puzzles you couldn't do at the moment. It really pushed you into that "I'm on an adventure" mindset. Here, you can go home at nearly any point you want. And due to how straightforward this game is and how short the routes are, this game feels more like a fun summer vacation trip/adventure than a life-changing journey to be the best of all time. 

Overall this game was a Dynamaxed step-down from Sun and Moon (NOT Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, which I think was a step in the wrong direction narratively, but I understand why it was made). And when you have other big, mainstream Nintendo franchises coming to the Switch with their arms swinging (Super Mario Odyssey,The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wilds, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, etc) it's more than a little saddening to feel like Pokemon would play it safe. 

My ranking of Pokemon Generations:

Gen 2 (It did everything a sequel should have done)

Gen 5, Gen 3, Gen 7 (Fun, iconic regions, varied Pokemon selection, and good stories)

Gen 1 & Gen 4 (Game changing but ultimately too slow and bland of regions for me to love)

Gen 6 (Good region, decent Pokemon, cool new type (YMMV), enjoyable post-game story)

Gen 8 (Decent region, good Pokemon, bad story, bland gameplay)

Next I'll probably play some Fire Emblem (I have unfinished playthroughs in Fates and Three Houses, but I also want to romance some people in Awakening, so we'll see what happens) before I hop back on my PS4 and try out Uncharted. Then again, my video game plans never actually follow a schedule. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Not going to quote that long block of text, but I will say this: I think the writing for the pokemon games is generally terrible.  its part of why I like gen 1 so much.  there wasn't much in the way of plot, even Team rocket's shenanigans always felt more like an obstacle in my way than a plot point (though I do agree with your ranking of gen 2).  that said, generation 3 started a few of my least favorite trends: 1. the fire/fighting starter - once is fine, 3 times in a row is obnoxious and 2.overpowering the legendaries (plot-wise i mean)  it kind of kills my immersion when the game tells me that the pokemon i just caught and am now ordering around has power over all of time, and 3. inserting the legendaries into the plot.  I absolutely hate the fact that all the subsequent generations (give or take 7?  i havent played 7 or 8) have this major fight with a legendary pokemon as part of the game's plot.  I much preferred the gen 1 and 2 legendaries, being hidden away in out-of-the-way locations where you have to go hunt them down to find them.

39 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

Not going to quote that long block of text, but I will say this: I think the writing for the pokemon games is generally terrible.  its part of why I like gen 1 so much.  there wasn't much in the way of plot, even Team rocket's shenanigans always felt more like an obstacle in my way than a plot point (though I do agree with your ranking of gen 2).  that said, generation 3 started a few of my least favorite trends: 1. the fire/fighting starter - once is fine, 3 times in a row is obnoxious and 2.overpowering the legendaries (plot-wise i mean)  it kind of kills my immersion when the game tells me that the pokemon i just caught and am now ordering around has power over all of time, and 3. inserting the legendaries into the plot.  I absolutely hate the fact that all the subsequent generations (give or take 7?  i havent played 7 or 8) have this major fight with a legendary pokemon as part of the game's plot.  I much preferred the gen 1 and 2 legendaries, being hidden away in out-of-the-way locations where you have to go hunt them down to find them.

I don't compare Pokemon's writing to other series; I compare it to itself. When I brought up the other series, I meant it in a mechanical, graphical, and story function compared to past series in their respective series. Fire Emblem Three Houses is a MASSIVE step forward for the franchise because it takes lessons and tropes and popular aspects of previous games and seeks to perfect them. It's not perfect by any means, but Three Houses brings the best it can to the table. The same goes for Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey. Both of those games pushed forward on what it meant to be an game in their respective series.

Pokemon did none of that - it didn't perfect the battling experience from previous games, or add in a new design that will be a mainstay going forward; it didn't wow us with its graphics to the degree that it arguably could have (not to say it's an ugly game, because it's not); it didn't bring a new depth to the story and characters of the world - it retread old ground, and didn't look good while doing so either.

Pokemon is capable of writing if not engaging, at least creative stories and making interesting rivals and gym leaders and antagonists. Gary/Blue and Silver are iconic! May/Brandon aren't bad either because they were assistants first and trainers second. Barry was annoying, but he became a strong trainer, and it was interesting to see how Cheren and Bianca grew and what their own personal challenges were. For X/Y I honestly only remember Shauna and the Main Rival, but they tried...? And in Sun/Mon, Hau was an actually fun friendly rival.

Pokemon has gone up and down on the writing, but I do believe it can be better than Sw/Sh. Gen 4 had an element of mystery to it. Gen 5 was a narrative. Gen 7 was a story of self-discovery (with a tad bit of almost lovecraftian tones thrown in at the end). Gen 8 was...a return to what we already knew. 

The thing older generations had that later ones miss is a focus on exploration and discovery. Gen 7 (I really do recommend it btw) is a weird one because it's less a discovery of the world and Pokemon and more a discovery of oneself, or at least that's how I think of it. The legendaries in this game may fit your cup of tea better as well.

On the subject of overpowering legendaries, it can go either way. From the beginning legendaries have been manifestations of power as well as links to mythical creatures in our real world. The concepts behind them have changed (from Fire to Land to Space to...everything really), but at the same time they've become more personal over the generations: the legendaries in Sun/Moon are unique to Alola while the lengendaries in Sw/Sh are unique to those games.Should they be as integral to the story as they are? YMMV. I don't mind it, so long as the story, lore, and design all add up. Forcing the story into the lore is where problems abound, as is the case with Sw/Sh. It's the same thing with fan-service. Shoving it into a story for plot purposes doesn't work if the plot wasn't naturally trending that direction. And I too miss the days when lore was hidden and needed to be searched for. 

The fire/fighting thing I entirely sympathize with. And yet, I enjoy all three of those starters. I guess the problem was frequency.

But then shouldn't you blame Gen 4 instead of Gen 3? Gen 3 was the trendsetter after all, and anything that follows isn't its fault. (Joking, joking, I see your point).

And again, I'm not saying that Pokemon Sword is a bad game. It's not. It's a good Pokemon game, but I believe Pokemon can be better. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

34 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

But then shouldn't you blame Gen 4 instead of Gen 3? Gen 3 was the trendsetter after all, and anything that follows isn't its fault. (Joking, joking, I see your point).

well Gen 4 does take some of the worst pieces from gen 3 and roll with them entirely too far.  Groudon and Kyogre were already too OP, but Dialga and Palkia are still an enormous step further.  that said, I hate all the starters in Gen 3, while i like the water and grass starters for gen 4 so i tend to cut gen 4 a bit of extra slack for that (side note, no generation has been able to best the gen 1 trio of starters, though gen 4 and 2 probably come closest imo).

edit to add: i also disagree with you on the signifigance of the legendaries in the earlier generations.  I have no idea what the remakes (fire red, leaf green, heart gold, sould silver) may have done with them, but I'm fairly certain that in the originals, they were just very powerful and/or very rare pokemon.  no one in red or blue talks about Articuno as having godlike power over elemental ice, in fact, i don't recall any specific mentions of them at all.  even mew and mewtwo are just a rare pokemon and its immensely powerful offspring respectively.  in the first 2 generations, the closest you get to that level of deification is Celebi, who is the guardian of a single forest; a bit mystical, but not anywhere close to the status you get with later legendaries.

Edited by Dunkum

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

even mew and mewtwo are just a rare pokemon and its immensely powerful offspring respectively.  in the first 2 generations, the closest you get to that level of deification is Celebi, who is the guardian of a single forest; a bit mystical, but not anywhere close to the status you get with later legendaries.

Agree to disagree on the birds and beasts, but even by Gen 2 Mew is being touted in-game as the origin of all Pokemon moves. It had easily gone beyond "rare myth" into "legendary lore" category very quickly. Look at Mew's Pokedex entries from Gen 1 and then compare them to Gen 2 if you doubt me. Even outside of game lore supports this. And again, I think you'd like Gen 7. The legendaries are a part of the culture and the lore, and while they are gods of the islands, they aren't omnipotent monsters that control the fate of the world (and neither are the legendaries in Sw/Sh for that matter. I criticized their design and where they are used, nothing more). 

I do see your point about the games depending too much on the legendaries - my best friend has a similar concern.* But if they fit the story (Team Galactic trying to actively reshape the world and reality, so they need to seek out Pokemon who have seemingly held that power; N trying to reach the truth/ideal about Pokemon and their relationship with humanity; Team Magma thinking about overpopulation and Team Aqua...existing...?) then I don't have too much of a problem. 

4 hours ago, Dunkum said:

no one in red or blue talks about Articuno as having godlike power over elemental ice, in fact, i don't recall any specific mentions of them at all.

Pokemon Yellow explicitly links Arcticuno with ice related powers. And I didn't say it had powers OVER ice. Although they do gain the explicit power over ice by Gen 4, so there is that.

I said that the birds represented an elemental power (ice, fire, and lighting/storms repsectively) and how that concept doesn't really seem to change, even if the powers of the legendaries do: The three dogs represent fire, water, and thunder; Lugia and Ho-oH are "the guardian of the sea," and "the guardian of the sky" respectively; Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza representing earth, sea, and sky (a not-uncommon trinity found in other games, such as the naming scheme in Kingdom Hearts (Sora means sky, Nami means sea, and Riku means land)); Dialga and Palkia represent time and space - Arceus and Giratina matter and anti-matter; Reshiram and Zekrom represent truth and ideals. Sometimes they are masters of them, other times not. And multiple generations past 2 have legendaries you need to find or hunt down in random encounters. Gen 2 may have done it best, but it's far from the only one. 

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I hate all the starters in Gen 3, while i like the water and grass starters for gen 4 so i tend to cut gen 4 a bit of extra slack for that (side note, no generation has been able to best the gen 1 trio of starters, though gen 4 and 2 probably come closest imo).

Another area to agree to disagree (although very few fans agree on this at all). I personally adore all three starters in Hoenn and, while I don't dislike the Sinnoh starters, I HATE how they reverse the weapon triangle on each other. I don't want to beat my rival's fire type with my grass type! I want to beat it with a different Pokemon I've raised for that express purpose! But that's a difference of opinion, and one I don't plan on trying to change your mind on. 

Gen 1, Gen 3, Gen 4, Gen 6, and Gen 7 have the best starters to me (in the sense that I like them all, even if the designs are wonky). Gen 2 falls short with Chikorita sadly, and Gen 4 already gets flak for the type reversal. Gen 5 SHOULD be there, as I like all the starters, but only the fire starter has two types and as such gets an "unfair advantage." 

Either way, can we just agree to disagree and go our separate ways? We're not likely to convince each other of anything, and so long as we can both hold up what we love about Pokemon, there's no need to drag it out farther (...although maybe I should look in a mirror before commenting lol!)

*Fun fact, we're actually at near-polar opposites of the Gameplay-Story binary. He touts gameplay above all else, overlooking any positive points in a game if the gameplay isn't want HE thinks is challenging. Many of his points are good ones, but I struggle to overlook the good aspects of this game as well. I prefer a good story over everything else, and am far more critical when games fail on this part than any others.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:03 AM, Lunamor said:

I recently started playing Skyrim and I am loving it so far! The map is huge and exploring is really fun. The fighting system is great too, especially archery. I've also stolen practically everything that I can get my hands on (so. much. cutlery.). 

Have you played Morrowind and Oblivion? Elder Scrolls games are epic and I need game 6 already..

Been a long time since 11/11/11 and sadly it’s still likely to be years before it comes..

9 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Finished Persona 5 Royal

What’s different about it from Persona 5? I had fun the little I played but I really disliked being on a time limit. If I’m playing that’s what I want to do not worry about time management. Totally ruined my enjoyment. Thankfully Cold Steel isn’t exactly like that so far.

I only made it to 2nd dungeon in P5. 

14 hours ago, Lunamor said:

Unfortunately I haven’t, but I’ve heard great things about them.

Morrowind is the best! I can still remember just how amazingly mind blowing it was back when it was new. It was just so big! 

Now I want to turn it on and read some in game books. So much richness to take in.

3 hours ago, Briar King said:

What’s different about it from Persona 5? I had fun the little I played but I really disliked being on a time limit. If I’m playing that’s what I want to do not worry about time management. Totally ruined my enjoyment. Thankfully Cold Steel isn’t exactly like that so far.

The time limit for the dungeons is kind of meaningless, just do it as soon as you can. And you generally have enough time to hang out with everyone, especially if you make good use of the mechanics. Its not really something I would worry about. 

As for changes, there are quite a few. There's are two entirely new Confidants, one of whom is a new party member, one of the Confidants is heavily reworked and isn't progressed with the story like it was in the original game, there are new combat mechanics, some of the mechanics of combat were reworked, some of the Confidants have changed or entirely new abilities, and the big one: There's a whole new dungeon after the original final boss adding about two extra months to gameplay (also the new antagonist is one of the best in Persona by far). Those are the big things. There are other smaller things here and there as well.

Just finished Dragon Quest VIII. That was a really good game. I must confess I kinda rushed through it, and even so managed to get 56 hours. I'll probably play it again in the future going through everything I missed, it won't surprise me if it jumps to 80-100 hours then.

The game is really good at what it tries to do. I found only one negative, kind of a big one though. There's an impressive lack of interaction between characters. There's things to compensate, you can talk to every party member whenever you want for example, and they say things pertaining the most recent thing you did. There's also the stories. I finally understand why everybody talked about "the stories"  when talking about DQ. Every place you visit there's a couple new characters with a story to tell, linked to the main one, but standing on its own at the same time. They were really good, and some of them tragic.

But still, when it came to the main story, in half the cutscenes the party members are as mute as the protagonist, and in the other half they don't even appear, even though supposedly they're present. I even saw them appear mid-cutscene once. Like, really, with such a colorful cast, I'd like to see them talking to each other from time to time. Worst of all is, they do, during the last 20 minutes of gameplay. It was awesome but it was brief. Why couldn't they be like that the rest of the game?

A great game nonetheless though, makes me want to play the other games. I've been excited to play VII, I'll see how it compares.

10 hours ago, Briar King said:

New characters, reworked social link, new area to explore, and a new semester (sort of...they abridge to two months). They also fix dungeons so that you don't have to go immediately to sleep after coming back from a Palace or Mementos. You can make tools, work out, make coffee (and later curry).

I totally understand the time limit crunch - it was one of the reasons I stopped playing Persona 4 (but NOT the only one). Heck, I nearly lost in Persona 5 on the first dungeon. But in all honestly it's possible to wrap up the dungeon in one or two in-world days and move on to the social link stuff. 

6 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

(also the new antagonist is one of the best in Persona by far)

A-FREAKEN-MEN. I was so surprised that the new antagonist wasn't the original final boss. I mean, I understand why, but the new antagonist is so much better! 

Couldn't contain myself and started Dragon Quest VII right away even though I should be finishing other games.

This game is So. Storming. Addictive. Everything is so intriguing, it's so exciting every time you visit a new town and seeing what's happening there. Battle system and music are basically like VIII's, which is a good thing, and the characters talk among themselves here for a change. Literally the only downside so far is that I can only play for a couple hours before running out of battery (that and lag, but, who cares).

Kinda wish I had played this one first. It would have been a much better first impression of the series I think. Not that VIII was a bad first impression but, gosh, this one is just so good so far.

Edited by Eluvianii

Recently finished Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's certainly nowhere near 3 Houses level of depth, but it's a fun adventure nontheless. I will say that the middle 3rd of the story with the

Spoiler

Walhart/Valm Arc.

felt very inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. It's a very fun romp through a fun world. And I'll certainly say that Id (Purpose) now hits me even harder than the first time I heard it.

19 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Recently finished Fire Emblem: Awakening. It's certainly nowhere near 3 Houses level of depth, but it's a fun adventure nontheless. I will say that the middle 3rd of the story with the

Reveal hidden contents

Walhart/Valm Arc.

felt very inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. It's a very fun romp through a fun world. And I'll certainly say that Id (Purpose) now hits me even harder than the first time I heard it.

Awakening! That's the FE game I've sunk the most hours into overall, and easily one of my favorite (if not my favorite), overtaking Sacred Stones a couple of years ago. Personally, I think the characters are deeper than most FE fans give them credit for. FE fans who don't like Awakening tend to clump the game with Fates, which is fair to a degree; but in doing so they short-change the amount of characterization the units DO have. 

In terms of story, you're right it's pretty bare. I find that Awakening does two very difficult things (amnesiac avatar/main character and time travel/alternate timeline hijinks) very well for the parameters given. 

The Valm arc is very weird. On one hand,

Spoiler

if I'm remembering correctly, it's supposed to stretch out the length of time between Chrom taking over and his death in the "Future" timeline. So Chrom takes over as Exalt earlier, has campaigns that stretch out into years in Plegia (well, no more than a couple of years here most likely) and Valm (FAR longer), and then comes home and dies. But overall the timeline is a little screwy.

On the other hand, it's a nice way to canonize and explore the fact that Alm's story and Marth's story took place only a few years apart, and only one continent apart. 

Overall I find Awakening to be as you said, a fun romp through a fun world. ...and Robin, Morgan, and the Pair-up feature are so broken IT'S SO MUCH FUN!

Who'd you end up pairing and/or shipping together? 

1 minute ago, Use the Falchion said:

Overall I find Awakening to be as you said, a fun romp through a fun world. ...and Robin, Morgan, and the Pair-up feature are so broken IT'S SO MUCH FUN!

Who'd you end up pairing and/or shipping together?

Pair-up is so broken. It's the best. As for my ships: Ricken and Sully, Chrom and Robin (cause that pair up is even more broken than most), Lissa and Lon'qu, Gaius and Cordelia, Fredrick and Sumia, Lucina and Inigo, Stahl and Olivia, and Morgan and Severa. I wish I had been able to see some more supports, and that might be something I look into on future playthroughs/ maybe buy the Artbook.

Spoiler

And when they did the final cutscene before showing off Chrom and Robin's paired ending- I swear I burst into tears. Just so happy, and when you realize that this was gonna be the last FE game, Chrom saying "It's finally over", it just hit me