What are you playing right now?

On 4/4/2020 at 11:47 PM, Briar King said:

It is complicated isn’t it?

See here I am this whole pretty much when I see the pretty’s circling I tried to time my arts just right thinking I had to hit at the prefect time. No wonder why I never got a pop... and I very rarely even the do the chain attacks. The revives are worth more to me.

Once you're able to stack multiple orbs and break them in an ongoing chain attack, it's so satisfying.  You feel so powerful.  

Here's a handy chart on what elementals make combos.  I wouldn't worry about the seals until you're in post-game.  Just focus on creating orbs, then trying to do a chain attack where you can break one orb each round to keep it going.

oRAdj.jpg

Anyone having trouble doing the Delivery@Door service from Gamestop? Every single time I call in it asks me for a remote access code and their instructions on the website doesn’t mention anything about needing a code. I really want to pick up my copy of FR7R but since they’re doing Delivery@Door only I can’t get it.

Edit: For some reason the call wouldn’t work on my phone but it worked on my dad’s phone. Got FF7R and it’s so much better than the original was! I’m 4:30 hours in and I’m loving all the new character moments (Marle giving Cloud a hard time being a bad friend, Tifa looking after this guy named Marco, Tifa’s cocktail prep) and I haven’t even gotten to where Cloud meets Aerith in the church. Before I didn’t know how they could turn just the opening Midgar section into a full game but with all these little moments added in I can’t wait to see this extended to the rest of the project when they get to Kalm, Cosmo Canyon, Costa Del Sol, Wutai and Neifelheim. I would love to see the other games, 1-6 and 8-9, get this treatment. Out of all the characters my favorite for seeing them returned to form is Tifa since she’s not a lightning bruiser girl but a sweet girl who happens to look gorgeous. The actress did a good job conveying that sweetness.

We might need some new categorization because of the original being called the best and this being better than the original.

Edited by Draginon

On 4/11/2020 at 10:40 AM, Orlion the Platypus said:

Finding cats and killing rats in FF7 Remake. Excitement! Adventure!

Wait till you get to the Wall Market events, they’re even sillier than the original events!

Currently at the pillar collapse event so the only major events to see are the Shinra HQ infiltration events.

I hope that Square announces work being started on Part 2 around when E3 was supposed to happen.

Ugh I so hate not being able to repeat any tutorials in Xenoblade 2...

like last night end game spoilers...

i finally beat Amalthus and I got a tutorial about a powerful 3 person attack if I have Nia as a blade(which I hate btw as it takes away her own blades field skills!) and Pyra  as Rexs blades and I can’t figure out how to activate it and these txt can’t be brought up to be reread as far as I can tell.

Edited by Briar King

So, to be clear on one thing about the Final Fantasy VII Remake: 

You don't need to play the original in order to follow what's going on or enjoy the Remake. I don't know why some reviewers are saying this, but it's wrong. 

The main reason why you would want to play the original if you haven't is because major plot points for future Remake installments will be (and have been) spoiled by internet geek culture. So if you somehow don't know what I'm talking about, you either will after an offhand remark in an unrelated article spoils it or you play the original. 

I finished Half-Life 2 a few minutes ago. That freaking ending! I have to play Episode 1 now. I need answers! And I would do just that right now if it weren't 1am. Anyway, great game, I love the habit this series has of putting you in apparently impossible situations, like "There's ammo at the other side of this courtyard full of debris, and three 15-meter things that want to kill you between you and it. Good luck."

Also, Wallace Breen has become one of my favorites villains now, his speeches were truly amazing.

Edited by Eluvianii

On 4/14/2020 at 9:55 AM, Orlion the Platypus said:

So, to be clear on one thing about the Final Fantasy VII Remake: 

You don't need to play the original in order to follow what's going on or enjoy the Remake. I don't know why some reviewers are saying this, but it's wrong. 

The main reason why you would want to play the original if you haven't is because major plot points for future Remake installments will be (and have been) spoiled by internet geek culture. So if you somehow don't know what I'm talking about, you either will after an offhand remark in an unrelated article spoils it or you play the original. 

No spoilers, obviously, but I'm curious how you'll feel when you get to the ending.  I'm looking forward to playing it myself.  My copy will finally be here on Friday it looks like.  Had it fully spoiled, and let's just say there's definitely spoilers even as someone who was very familiar with the original.  

Been playing Animal Crossing, RE3, and RE Resistance lately!

March 30 I finished Horizon: Zero Dawn. It was so much fun and told such a great, classic story. I honestly can't wait for the sequel and hope it's a PS5 launch title, or at least it comes out by the end of the year (when I'm more likely to actually buy a PS5). March 31 I started Persona 5 Royal, and today I finished it.

Overall I have a LOT of feelings on it, but as I watched the credits roll, I realized that my complaints were pretty small compared to the journey I had just undertaken. It felt so good, so right to be with the Phantom Thieves again, changing society and strengthening our own hearts. The new quality of life changes were very welcome (no more wasted nights after palaces and Mementos!), and the new characters of Maruki and Kasumi were very welcome.

I still have mixed feelings on Kasumi due to how heavily the game ships her and Joker, and how heavily marketed and promoted she is yet she doesn't join the Phantom Thieves until their final dungeon in the new semester. And I understand why that is, and why she's needed in this game to a degree, but at the same time I can't help but wonder if she would have flourished in Persona 6 (whenever that comes out). On the other side, I think Kasumi is a great character whose backstory, while a tad predictable, is greatly explored and well done. As a combat unit she's a hard and fast hitter and is always a joy to use.

Maruki on the other hand fit in the game so well that I'm pretty surprised he wasn't in the original game. His story mixes a lot with Kasumi's, so they sort of reflect off each other, but I also see a game where this isn't the case.

As for the final dungeon...well, HEAVY SPOILERS AHEAD:

Spoiler

I really, REALLY enjoyed it. The final boss felt like they blended into the game naturally. All of the people who had changes of hearts were humans after all, so why not end the game that same way. I mean, I understand fighting a god in the main game - it's a Persona thing after all - but it always felt like a big leap to me. Here, having a mortal who simply attained the powers of a god felt so much more in-step with the seemingly very human story Persona 5 has always tried to tell. And I understand the Gnostic themes that permeate Persona's DNA, but for Persona 5 it always felt like it was more of a distraction at times than a boon. Which is why the final dungeon in Royal is so good.

That being said, we needed to fight a god for the final dungeon to make sense in-story, but I'm sure it could have worked outside of that in its own ways. 

Akechi returning was fanservice to me, but I wasn't complaining. It was always amusing to see how ax-crazy he was, and how they wrapped up that story line was well done also. 

So, will I be replaying Persona 5 Royal like I did the original game anytime soon? Honestly, no, probably not. I'd rather go back to the original for shipping purposes (look, I REALLY don't like it when games try to force someone on me when there are options sometimes!), and I like where the story ended off. Besides, I maxed out all but two of the social links, (Hermit and Empress got the short end of the stick, but I got them to ranks 8 and 9 respectively), got to level 90, fused the strongest monster in the game, and have the compendium at above 75%. It's not perfect, but its pretty stinking good. And after a little under 94 hours in 15 days, I think I can take a break. I'll revisit the franchise in Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers whenever that comes out. 

But for any Sharder looking for a good PS4 game to keep them busy for a while, Persona 5 Royal is perfect for that. Pick it up and you won't regret it. 

Also as a random note, Makoto may still be my best girl but Haru is working her way up the ranks to almost second place (I'd say she ties there with Ann and Takemi (EDIT: And Hifumi. I can't believe I forgot my girl Hifumi)). 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Finished Final Fantasy 7 Remake and I loved it. Others might have a problem with the ending but it makes me intrigued and interested to know what’s being planned for the rest of the story. Heck all the boss fights in the endgame were cool and awesome to fight and really had me try to figure out a different tactic like the new version of the Rufus fight.

2 hours ago, Draginon said:

Finished Final Fantasy 7 Remake and I loved it. Others might have a problem with the ending but it makes me intrigued and interested to know what’s being planned for the rest of the story. Heck all the boss fights in the endgame were cool and awesome to fight and really had me try to figure out a different tactic like the new version of the Rufus fight.

That game just came out...is it no longer an RPG that you devote hundreds of hours into? I mean I know it’s only part 1 of who knows but still 5 days seems like an utter waste for $59. Just more proof I’m waiting for it to be finished and on discount before I tackle it all.

Edited by Briar King

7 hours ago, Briar King said:

That game just came out...is it no longer an RPG that you devote hundreds of hours into? I mean I know it’s only part 1 of who knows but still 5 days seems like an utter waste for $59. Just more proof I’m waiting for it to be finished and on discount before I tackle it all.

pretty sure it only goes up to leaving midgard.  so like...1/3 of the way through disk 1 give or take?  and yea, i agree about waiting for it to be finished, it looks good, but ive still got the PS1 disks in my basement so I can play the full game whenever.

9 hours ago, Briar King said:

People say it takes 30 hours to beat on the first playthrough. I've had it since release and am only a third of the way through, but I'm also still working 40+ hours a week and working on mastering various French cuisines. 

I think it's worth $59.

Finished Xenoblade 2 38 minutes after 12am today. Outstanding finale and even with 219 hrs over 437 straight days played I still didn’t get everything done on it. 

im now free to play Cold Steel but I’m fighting the urge not to rush out the door to go buy a Wii U so I can start Xenoblade X and continue my consecutive days series play. 588 days with 1&2 together. 

I'm playing some mario Kart Wii right now. For the past year or so I've been going through phases where I won't play it for a month or two, then I'll find a track that's really fun to time trial, then I'll slowly get bored and not play it anymore, then I'll find another track that's fun, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

17 hours ago, Briar King said:

It’s still an RPG, it’s just part 1 of the entire project since the scale they’re going for is too big if they released it as a full remake in one package. Heck they even stated before that if they did it in one package, having the entire game like before, they would’ve had to cut a lot out just to have it be available. It would be like if Brandon had to rewrite Era 1 as a single book that was the same length or the entirety of Stormlight as a trilogy.

Theres enough new, expanded stuff to make you appreciate and love the characters again. You actually get to know who Jessie, Biggs and Wedge are like instead of them just being redshirts. There are new moments with the entire cast that really makes you love them over again, like Aerith and Tifa having fast friend moments. Areas of Midgar that were just pass through areas, like Train Graveyard, have a story to them now. There are even references to stuff that was introduced in Before Crisis, Crisis Core, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus and even the novels.

Then there’s a semi-new game plus where you can play through the game again with your team and unlock the other options of some moments like the dresses for the Don Corneo part and the additional enemies unlocked by beating the ‘final’ boss. Then there’s hard mode where you can find additional stuff to 100% the game.

Since we don’t know if there’s going to be any DLC we only have to look forward to patches and when they announce Part 2. When they do announce it I wouldn’t be surprised if they actually spoil the ending since it’s different from how the Midgar section ended in the original unless you plan on avoiding any spoilers on all the new stuff until whatever the final number will be for the next decade?

20 hours ago, Briar King said:

Finished Xenoblade 2 38 minutes after 12am today. Outstanding finale and even with 219 hrs over 437 straight days played I still didn’t get everything done on it. 

Amazing game. Frustrating at times, but completely worth it in the end.