What Would a Nicrosil Compounder Be able to do?

Cartith

So, I've read on the wiki's among hearing it in other places that a Mistborn is capable of burning metals because they have more investiture than other people. So, say you had a Nicrosil compounder twinborn. He could store his investiture, then compound it to become either much stronger at burning Nicrosil, or even become a Mistborn. I've seen other theories of it letting you store the power you would have gained while burning a metal, but I don't agree with them. 

Specifically, allomancers have a tad more Preservation poking out than muggles, allowing them to burn metals and so draw Investiture from Preservation. The MAG models Nicrosil as essentially storing raw power, so that suggests that it store Investiture-as-power rather than the "Innate Investiture" that allomancers have an excess of.

I think part of the problem is that 'investiture' isn't just a vaguely-defined substance, it's also a process

Alloy of law

Allomancy is the most common of the three. It is end-positive, according to my terminology, meaning that the practitioner draws in power from an external source. The body then filters it into various forms. (The actual outlet of the power is not chosen by the practitioner, but instead is hardwritten into their Spiritweb.) The key to drawing this power comes in the form of various types of metals, with specific compositions being required. Though the metal is consumed in the process, the power itself doesn’t actually come from the metal. The metal is a catalyst, you might say, that begins an Investiture and keeps it running.

I think part of our lack of understanding investiture is that the word refers to magicalness, magical energy, the process of using magic, and the capability to do magic.  You'd think that creating your own terminology would help you avoid the whole 'The magician cast forth his powerful magic, but despite the puissance of his magic and his magic knife he was running out of magic.' issue, where 'magic' can refer to how much MP you have, how powerful your spells are, how much MP a spell uses, whether something has magical power invested in it, whether something is made out of magical power, something that actually is a spell, your abilities using spells... et cetera... point is I really wish that investiture terminology were a little more varied.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Ok, I thought that it would just be a really cool way for Brandon to bring in that Mistborn serial killer that is supposed to be in the second trilogy. Any way I can find the rules of the MAG without buying it so I can create my ideas without missing part of the info?

You could browse through it at your FLGS, but there isn't that much to tell. Nicrosilminds are filled by converting charges from other metalminds. You can then tap them in combination with a different metalmind and pay for half the cost of that metalmind's ability.  Or use your charges to ruin other people's metalminds.

You can also fill nicrosilminds from duralumin/nicrosil bursts, or the mists or well of ascension.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

/>Ok, I thought that it would just be a really cool way for Brandon to bring in that Mistborn serial killer that is supposed to be in the second trilogy. Any way I can find the rules of the MAG without buying it so I can create my ideas without missing part of the info?

More likely the nicrosil misting main character would get spiked with Feruchemical nicrosil and accidentally cast Sazed in his battle vs the evil mistborn, which leads us to the space trilogy: the search for a new god.

More likely the nicrosil misting main character would get spiked with Feruchemical nicrosil and accidentally cast Sazed in his battle vs the evil mistborn, which leads us to the space trilogy: the search for a new god.

I've been a huge fan of the Nicrosil misting MC getting spiked with Feruchemical nicrosil, pretty much ever since I got to Alloy of Law Ars Arcanum and found out what Feruchemical nicrosil did.

On the main topic, BS said:

Cheese_Ninja:

One question, two parts: If a double Nicrosil Twinborn started Compounding and storing Investiture in a Nicrosilmind, could they do something cool by tapping a whole huge bunch at once? And since Scadrialians have both Ruin and Preservation in them, could they store both those qualities in a one Nicrosilmind, or would it require two different ones?

Brandon Sanderson (Reddit.com)

Ha. All things regarding Investiture (particularly in regards to Feruchemy) are instant RAFOs at this point, I'm afraid. I've got to save SOME things for future books.

From what I've seen in the posts about Nicrosil Feruchemy in the Mistborn RPG, there are some well-defined rules about what Nicrosil can and can't do, but there also seems to be a lot of wiggle room and nothing at all about the possible abilities of a Nicrosil Compounder, who might be able to break the rules.

I'm personally of the view that a Soulbearer with Allomantic powers could use the Investiture to power his burning, though I must disappointingly acknowledge that this probably won't allow them to use Allomancy without using metals at all (like I want it to) as the Nicrosil investiture needs to be shaped (at least, this is how it works in Feruchemy... you tap investiture with something else to pretty much tell the Nicrosil investiture what to do). With regards to mixing Nicrosil Feruchemy with Allomancy, it sounds like, rather than a cool mana-battery, you simply get a way to make the burn last longer... though I eagerly await the Alloy of Law supplement and its Allomancy-Feruchemy mixing rules to confirm or deny this.

• 2 years later...

So if it stores "power", then maybe we can think of Nicrosil users as kind of like Conflux from the Reckoners (so, a human battery). Except that they store power from the Shards, not electricity.

Edited by Varangian

My theory is that a Nicrosil-any other metal allomantically besides aluminum or duralumin Twinborn would be able to burn a metal, funnel the Investiture into a Nicrosilmind, and tap that while burning a metal to increase the power. Like, steel Pushes on metals, so,  if John Doe burns Steel normally, he could steelpush a coin at about the speed and force of a musket shot. NOW, Imagine John burned steel, and filled his Nicrosilmind with thst Investiture. If John manages to annoy a Koloss into attacking him, then burns steel while tapping his Nicrosilmind, the Investiture stored powers up his Allomancy, making a single coin tear through that Koloss, and a few trees, before the Koloss could tear his head off.

• Chaos locked this topic