Costs of Awakening

Phantom Monstrosity

Ya, but what's the fuel do, over and beyond what the average Awakener does? We only get to see one instance of Susebron Awakening, and it's burly. But we only get to see it indirectly, and considering his massive amount of Breath, we just don't know whether or not Perfect Invocation is responsible for what occurred. perhaps it is. But the evidence isn't substantial enough for me to believe that it's the deciding factor.

I'm not saying it would make a massive difference in the power of the awakening.  But, I do think that it would make a noticeable difference.  Otherwise, so what if it turns it white.  Great for getting out those hard to remove stains?  It would be nothing more than a novelty if it had no effect on the awakening.

Edit: that gives me an idea for a useless use for a useful power. ^_^

Edited by Shardlet

You know, when I read Warbreaker, I had the strangest impression that tenth awakening looped colors somehow- drained things to white, then the Breaths caused white to split into rainbow, which the Awakener of tenth heightening could use as fuel, never running out of color. It was a long time ago, and I am probably mistaken.

Color is weird, in any case. Could you, for example, drain water, and what would it become then? What counts as color? Reflective? Absorptive? Diffraction, like an in case of rainbow- colored gasoline spill?

That is the rub.  Since we are talking about draining apparent color from objects, then we are talking about reflected light.  So, essentially, the awakener is causing the object drained of color to reflect a far broader spectrum of light.  Although, black (true black pigment) absorbs the full spectrum of visible light.  So, when turning something gray...? 

Hm, that would mean that you cannot use iridescent surfaces... Also, it should then drain ability to absorb light and give ability to reflect light, otherwise you'd get transparent objects. Also, what happens to the chemical structure of the drained objects? Apparently, they still work the same as before, so the change is is due to the spiritual wrap? Or, well, unwrap? Would a human survive if all his color is drained to white? (Nightblood can drain color off the living tissues apparently).

Edit: ah, here is the quote that confused me:

Not just the grey of normal Awakening. They had been made a bone white. And, becoming that white, they now reacted to his incredible BioChroma, splitting back into colors. Like a circle, somehow, she thought. Colorful, then white, then back to color.

Edited by Satsuoni

/>I'm not saying it would make a massive difference in the power of the awakening. But, I do think that it would make a noticeable difference. Otherwise, so what if it turns it white. Great for getting out those hard to remove stains? It would be nothing more than a novelty if it had no effect on the awakening.

Edit: that gives me an idea for a useless use for a useful power. ^_^

LMAO

Edit: have to add, that nothing more than a novelty is exactly what I've been trying tocommunicate here.

Edited by DocHoliday

LMAO

Edit: have to add, that nothing more than a novelty is exactly what I've been trying tocommunicate here.

But why should it be nothing more than a novelty?

Here's an example of a sensible way it could work.  It's speculation, but it fits the evidence we do have.

If you have one straw man and try to awaken him at a lower heightening, you would drain a handkerchief of some size of color.  A bright red handkerchief would become gray, for instance.  If you were at the tenth heightening and did the exact same awakening, it's reasonable that it would drain the same amount of color---but because the awakening is more efficient, it drains half the handkerchief to white, leaving the other half untouched.  You could then use the other half of the same handkerchief to awaken another straw man---more efficient use of color.

This seems like the most sensible interpretation of the description of the tenth Heightening's effect from the Ars Arcanum.  Do you have any evidence that this isn't how it works, given the evidence we have?  Because barring more evidence, this seems like the most likely way to interpret the evidence we do have.

• Chaos locked this topic