Shadows of Self Tour

Titan Arum

Is anybody planning to attend the Edinburgh talk and signing? I am, because my human alter ego lives there! 

(I am just going to hand Renarin's care and protection during visions over to somebody else during that time. Lopen has already been passing messages between me and a Herdazian grandmother who provided refuge for a couple of shy bespectacled boys two decades ago. I am fully satisfied that not even the Everstorm would be able to harm Renarin while I am away.) 

I'm hoping to go to the Forbidden Planet, London signing. Never been to a book signing before, do I need to sign up for it, or do I just go?

It really depends on the bookstore and where it is.  In the US you can usually just show up, sometimes you need to buy the book in question from the store.  In the UK though events tend to be more ticketed.

Looking at the Forbidden Planet event page though I'm not really seeing anything about the protocol for that store.  My recommendation would be to contact the store directly just to make sure what, if anything, you'd need to do.

Does anyone know, I believe I saw a WoP on this once... isn't there something about specifically how one should order books to most help Mr. Sanderson? Like, buying a physical hardcopy of the book within the first week "counts" as more as far as "best-seller" lists and whatnot? I think I heard it somewhere but I forget specifics.

Does anyone know, I believe I saw a WoP on this once... isn't there something about specifically how one should order books to most help Mr. Sanderson? Like, buying a physical hardcopy of the book within the first week "counts" as more as far as "best-seller" lists and whatnot? I think I heard it somewhere but I forget specifics.

Yeah Brandon has talked about that a couple times.  Basically if you buy a hardcover from your local brick-and-mortar store during the first week (or I guess pre-order, I'm pretty sure those get lumped in with first week sales) then the store is more likely to treat it well going forward, i.e. putting it in the prime real estate at the front of the store to show it off.  I don't think first week sales count any more than later weeks, but they do determine where the book premieres on the best-seller lists, which is fairly significant.

I'm really sad about this one, this is the second time he's skipped out on the Dayton area....But maybe he'll be back for the Bands of Mourning tour!

Wait... you're around Dayton too?  :D

I was really sad. I found out about the last time he visited the day after.  :(

Edited by RippleGylf

To everyone complaining that Brandon isn't going to be on the east coast:

Perhaps he is treating the east coast like the shattered plains. The further east you go, the harder it is to get anywhere, and get back alive.

Is anyone else planning on going to FantasyCon in Nottingham? I'd quite like to meet a fellow sharder or two.

But the storm was a bust! Philly was supposed to get 10 or so inches of snow and they only got about 1.5. If only it hadn't been cancelled in advance of the storm. Grrrrrr!  :angry:

@Andrew...yes, Boston is on the east coast but it's the only location on the east coast that Brandon is going to for this tour. If we lived in Miami, that'd be quite a trek to get there for a book signing. I live in DC and it's still a trek to get there: 434 miles with 6.5 to 8 hours of driving depending on traffic. 

• 2 weeks later...

To everyone complaining that Brandon isn't going to be on the east coast:

Perhaps he is treating the east coast like the shattered plains. The further east you go, the harder it is to get anywhere, and get back alive.

Is anyone else planning on going to FantasyCon in Nottingham? I'd quite like to meet a fellow sharder or two.

I was planning to go to Nottingham, but then Brandon decided to come to my home town of Edinburgh instead ;) 

I was planning to go to Nottingham, but then Brandon decided to come to my home town of Edinburgh instead ;)

I was planning on going to Nottingham, booked all my tickets, hotel, etc, then found out he was coming to my home town of Newcastle too. Ah well, guess I get to see him twice.