(Major Spoilers)Kelsier- Influenced by Ruin?

Cartith

I was just doing a reread of Mistborn, and noticed something odd. Right before Kelsier swung the axe that killed the Inquisitor in the battle that sparked the revolution, he said "I'm glad you talked me into this." Who was he referring to? 

Sanderson has said several times if I recall correctly, (would be great if someone could find quotes) that Kelsier was a little crazy. As seen by Ruin's influence over Vin's mother, that is all that is needed for Ruin to affect a person. I think Ruin talked Kelsier into finally igniting the revolution to speed things along towards his release. 

Brandon has said that Kelsier is a sociopath. He takes way too much delight in killing noblemen (I don't know if this extends to noblewomen) and that he isn't exactly all there. That being said I don't think he was influenced by ruin anymore than anyone else was. 

Edited by Windborne Sword

The Inquistor talked Kelsier into the fight

Survivor,” a rasping voice said. Kelsier spun. The Inquisitor strode forward, stepping with pewter’s lithe power, surrounded by a haze of atium-shadows.

“Survivor of Hathsin,” it said. “You promised me a fight. Must I kill more skaa?”

Kelsier flared his metals. “I never said we were done.”

Then, he smiled. He was worried, he was pained, but he was also exhilarated. All of his life, there had been a piece of him that had wished to stand and fight.

He’d always wanted to see if he could take an Inquisitor.

http://twg.17thshard.com/index.php?topic=6823.0

Do you think Kelsier was spiked/infuenced by Ruin?

We'll RAFO in the short story that's coming out later.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=727

Dalenthas (15 October 2008)

Was Kelsier under Ruin's influence as well? It seems to me that destroying the Pits of Hathsin (and thus preventing Ruin's power from leaking) is something that Ruin would want to happen...

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)

There is a short story forthcoming which will deal with Kelsier, the days after he Snapped, his training, and what influence (if any) Ruin had on him. Most likely, this will appear in the Mistborn RPG coming out next year. So I'm afraid that's a RAFO.

http://twg.17thshard...p?topic=5627.15

This is a very interesting discussion; thanks for posting it VegasDev.  The silence, however, was simply because I was watching to see what people said before giving any answers.

And, I still can't give many without spoilers.  Let me say this: Kelsier had help, both realizing that he had snapped and finding metals.  The man who trained him in Allomancy was involved in this, and it's all wrapped up in how Kelsier discovered the Eleventh Metal in the first place. 

I MAY write this story someday.  If I do, it will make its way onto my website, perhaps after being sold as an Amazon Short for a while, kind of like I did with the ELANTRIS short.  There's not much more info in Book Three about this, unfortunately--just a couple of oblique references.  If you can remember until next October, the poke me after you've read MISTBORN 3, I'll give a more complete explanation.

In that story, Kelsier was trained by Gemmel, who was spiked (and, among other things, apparently helped him out of the Pits of Hatshin and then lead him to the eleventh metal).  Since that story is supposed to answer that question, I figure that about wraps it up - no direct influence, but he was trained by a ruincrazed guy.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

In that story, Kelsier was trained by Gemmel, who was spiked (and, among other things, apparently helped him out of the Pits of Hatshin and then lead him to the eleventh metal).  Since that story is supposed to answer that question, I figure that about wraps it up - no direct influence, but he was trained by a ruincrazed guy.

Do you have a link to that story PM?  I haven't even heard of it until now.

Do you have a link to that story PM?  I haven't even heard of it until now.

It's The Eleventh Metal, a short story a couple dozen pages long that serves as the intro for the RPG.

(Speaking of RPG stuff, don't even bother with House of Ashes. It wasn't written by Sanderson and aside from continuity issues, it's just kinda shoddy all around)

That's a tad harsh, Phantom. I liked the "Hazekiller" story, if only for the fact that it had hazekillers. :D

The hazekiller chapter was great... but only if you play the Benny Hill theme alongside it. It's just poorly thought out and makes hazekillers look like morons. I could rant, but... not the thread for it.

But... hazekillers... :(

I wish there was a story to give them justice, I really do.

But when these guys *literally* use 'weigh him down with our dead' as a tactic against Mistborn, I can't really take them seriously as hardened professionals.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

• Chaos locked this topic