That recent set of chapters was very good. I think that the Shallan chapter was the highlight for this set whereas Kaladin was definitely the highlight of last weeks set. I am really interested to learn more about pattern and Lightweaving as well as see Kaladin begin working out with that surgebinding because he needs to get good soon because Mr T is sending his pal Szeth at some point.

I was wondering about that, did Szeth make the 62 days glyph on the wall? Seems obvious to me in the sense that only someone with some ability could have just gotten there but then again its almost too obvious so it could be someone else, maybe Hoid as a warning to Dalinar. The thing that is confusing me with Szeth is well, you would think he would just reach the Shattered Plains pretty quickly instead of taking most of the book to do it. I would assume that Taravangian gave him other orders first such as killing those emperors which was mentioned in Lift's interlude.

We are now roughly 6 weeks from WoR so soon we will find out and I am wondering about Szeth's chapters because none have been released and Brandon is generally giving him a low profile in this book. Do you guys think he will even have chapters? He must surely, he is too important and I am wondering if maybe he is a main POV character in a certain part in the book that Brandon didn't release chapters for like say part 3 he gets chapters while Dalinar or someone sits out like how in one part in TWOK Dalinar wasn't in the part but Shallan was and then vice-versa.

I feel that chances are he will just get interludes again but he really needs to start getting more chapters if he is going to be the focal character of book 3. Just get rid of some Adolin chapters and maybe Dalinar (although his chapters now are better I find because he is more linked to the other characters and is doing something in every one whereas some of his felt like filler in book 1, the same goes for Adolin who I am assuming will also have better chapters because now he will have a more active role). I think that with all the plotlines and tensions of book 2 that it will be really climactic and then after things will cool down a lot for book 3 and build up a lot in book four and then explode in book 5 which is roughly like a midseason finale as the end book of the first set of Stormlight.

@Moash-- You make a very good point about the Lift interlude. I'm hoping Dalinar doesn't die. Not because I can't stand lose my favorite characters. I have no issues with character deaths as long as it serves the best interests of the overall story. I don't want Dalinar to die in WOR because he is the one the fans assume will kick it. His death wouldn't be shocking enough. Also, if Dalinar does die, I hope Sanderson has his replacement to lead the Knights Radient set up. Maybe Navani, Jasnah, or Kaladin, but a lot would need to happen for that to work.

So if Dalinar died it wouldn't be a surprise and that alone would be kind of sad.

Well for me I can see Dalinar dying or surviving either way, seems more obvious that he will survive even though I think that he won't survive. Szeth dying would be pretty surprising for me but would annoy me because he hasn't even had much time yet and he is a big character. I am just not sure how this would play out because Szeth wouldn't just run away from Kaladin because of his orders so four possibilities of Dalinar's survival that I see are:

1. Kaladin defeats Szeth and they carefully imprison him making sure he can't get stormlight and they interrogate him about why he is killing people and who his master is (although Mr T probably gave him hundreds of different orders not to reveal anything). I feel that this is the most likely out of what I could come up with.

2. Mr T realizes that there are more pressing matters elsewhere and somehow contacts Szeth telling him to retreat and leave Dalinar alone, this seems highly unlikely.

3. Kaladin kills Szeth to save Dalinar This one seems almost at a 0% chance for me.

4. Brandon surprises us utterly, none of the above.

So I think for Dalinar surviving they will capture Szeth and maybe as he is in prison at the Shattered Plains this is where he relives his life and does his flashbacks (seems like its often where someone remembers flashbacks when they are imprisoned or alone or something like that). I also think that as a fourth option Brandon shocking us with some unexpected plot twist of Dalinar's survival is very likely to but out of the ones that I thought of I think that option 1 is the most likely.

Well for me I can see Dalinar dying or surviving either way, seems more obvious that he will survive even though I think that he won't survive. Szeth dying would be pretty surprising for me but would annoy me because he hasn't even had much time yet and he is a big character. I am just not sure how this would play out because Szeth wouldn't just run away from Kaladin because of his orders so four possibilities of Dalinar's survival that I see are:

1. Kaladin defeats Szeth and they carefully imprison him making sure he can't get stormlight and they interrogate him about why he is killing people and who his master is (although Mr T probably gave him hundreds of different orders not to reveal anything). I feel that this is the most likely out of what I could come up with.

2. Mr T realizes that there are more pressing matters elsewhere and somehow contacts Szeth telling him to retreat and leave Dalinar alone, this seems highly unlikely.

3. Kaladin kills Szeth to save Dalinar This one seems almost at a 0% chance for me.

4. Brandon surprises us utterly, none of the above.

So I think for Dalinar surviving they will capture Szeth and maybe as he is in prison at the Shattered Plains this is where he relives his life and does his flashbacks (seems like its often where someone remembers flashbacks when they are imprisoned or alone or something like that). I also think that as a fourth option Brandon shocking us with some unexpected plot twist of Dalinar's survival is very likely to but out of the ones that I thought of I think that option 1 is the most likely.

Szeth has stated that he has hidden Gavilars stone. If he were to die, the black stone will become lost and I think it still has a significant role to play. For this reason I don't think Szeth will die.

Capture is a possibility. I might be wrong but in the released Chapter on Tor where Kaladin is on guard duty during the meeting between Dalinar, the King , Navani, Adolin etc. he notices a crystal paper weight on the desk encasing a "crab with wings". A dead Larkin perhaps. Seems important. Im guessing somehow they smash it and use it to drain Szeths stormlight, similar to the method Nalan used on Lift.

Though I might have dreamt it lol as I'm too lazy to find the quotes. I think I remeber something like that.

If I'm wrong or the theory has alread been mentioned I'm sorry, go easy on me I'm the new kid :)

i think its nice that you have so much to discuss about the stormlight archives =)

but can you please keep this threat clean? ppl are happy and hopefull when they see new postings here, about new stuff to read.

youre postings are just disapointing for them then, but they could be so much more somewhere else =)

---

sorry for giving hope for new stuff with this posting, but i hope to make it better in the future.

Threats?

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all.

I believe Crysanja meant "thread", and "clean" was referring somewhat obliquely to refraining from posting on this thread, since it makes it look like a new reading may have been released, and so gets people's hopes up.

Edited by Kurkistan

I tried to fix it for ya.

i think its nice that you have so much to discuss about the stormlight archives =)

but can you please keepnot post in this threatd cleanunless there are new readings or content? ppl are happy and hopefull when they see new postings here, about new stuff to read.

youre postings are just disapointing for them then, but they could be so much more somewhere else =)

---

sorry for giving hope for new stuff with this posting, but i hope to make it better in the future.

Not saying, just trying to translate.

Edit: Ninja'd by the master!

Edited by hoser

Threats?

I'm sorry I don't understand your post at all.

Think that was supposed to say keep the thread clean. People check this thread for new content. Posting in here makes people think new material might have been posted and are sad to see it's just a comment on material they've already read. At least I think that's the gist of what crys was saying

Edit: guess I wasn't at the end of the thread to see others had already replied

Edited by Awesomeness summoned

I believe Crysanja meant "thread", and "clean" was referring somewhat obliquely to refraining from posting on this thread, since it makes it look like a new reading may have been released, and so gets people's hopes up.

Ok I get you. Sorry

The thread is stickied so I thought it wouldn't matter.

Szeth has stated that he has hidden Gavilars stone. If he were to die, the black stone will become lost and I think it still has a significant role to play. For this reason I don't think Szeth will die.

Capture is a possibility. I might be wrong but in the released Chapter on Tor where Kaladin is on guard duty during the meeting between Dalinar, the King , Navani, Adolin etc. he notices a crystal paper weight on the desk encasing a "crab with wings". A dead Larkin perhaps. Seems important. Im guessing somehow they smash it and use it to drain Szeths stormlight, similar to the method Nalan used on Lift.

Though I might have dreamt it lol as I'm too lazy to find the quotes. I think I remeber something like that.

If I'm wrong or the theory has alread been mentioned I'm sorry, go easy on me I'm the new kid :)

Yeah I read that set of chapters again and the crab caught my eye, nice observation.

Sanderson has said that he has no problem killing off a character and then having their flashback sequence in a later book.

I really hope he doesn't do it that way, for a character to die and then have their flashback in a later book just feels less important when you would want that sequence when you get to know the character from the inside out.

I really hope he doesn't do it that way, for a character to die and then have their flashback in a later book just feels less important when you would want that sequence when you get to know the character from the inside out.

I can think of one character this might work with. If Szeth dies in book two (I hope he doesn't but if he did) and Jasnah and Shallan travelled to Shinovar to discover his past, having scenes showing Szeth's life interchanging with Shallan and Jasnah's story would work really well. This might work for other characters, but because Shinovar is such a mystery a postmortem sequence for Szeth would be intriguing.

However, Sanderson is far more creative than me, so he could find a way to make it work for Dalinar or Eshonai.

Okay I will not post here again, I promise.

Okay guys, I realize that most of you have come to this conclusion on your own, but a few people apparently need an official notice.

This topic is for posts that directly relate to new readings from Words of Radiance. It is not the place to discuss the contents of those readings. If you have something to say about something you discovered in one of these, feel free to post about it in another topic or one that you made. I really don't want to lock this topic because it makes it easier to inform me of new readings, but if people continue theory posting in here, I'm just going to start hiding them. Thanks for your understanding, guys. :)

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't one of the readings mention a "darkness" character? I remember reading a whole passage which I now cannot find… I thought it was Ym's, but it apparently wasn't….. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic