Theory: The Principle of Intent

Chaos

That's funny because you pretty much echoed my current feelings on the regeneration problem. I've thought about it a lot since I posted this theory. I think it's likely that either takes more power to go against its intent, or it takes longer for that power to regenerate, or both. (I need to make a dedicated Regeneration Problem topic...)

That's an interesting way to think about how magic developed that hasn't been said on the forums. I don't know if I completely buy it, but I need to meditate on it. If that is truly how magic developed, that would be a major paradigm shift in our thinking...

Heh. This mechanism is called Evolution by Natural Selection. This forum is emphatically, definitely not the place to discuss its real-world status, but I would note that if Brandon tried to make it remotely realistic, it would do all kinds of strange things to the timelines of what we think are involved. They'd be a lot longer, for starters.

I know what natural selection is, thank you very much :P

Perhaps this Spiritual Selection just moves faster, for whatever reason.

Or maybe the presence of a Shard in a shardworld acts as a form of "spiritual radiation", mutating the sDNA of its inhabitants.

It is kind of corroborated already by the fact that a magic system appears by the mere presence of a Shard in a shardworld.

Edited by Aiken Frost

Or maybe the presence of a Shard in a shardworld acts as a form of "spiritual radiation", mutating the sDNA of its inhabitants.

That would make a lot of sense. Then "normal" people that burn lerasium get a concentrated burst of that radiation that causes the Allomantic mutation. So making Mistborn is just a side effect of it being of Preservation.

This comment relates to Shardic Sentience theory. I do believe that the humans on all of the Shardworlds were created by their respective Shards and that their sentience is due to a "spark" of the Shards inside of them. I also think that Spark may be what makes them sentient but does not give them access to the magic systems. Those do develop over time. Actually no the magic systems exist as soon as the Shards arrived on the planet. What evolved over time is people's ability to use them. Brandon has said the reason Feruchemy was unique to the Terris is that they did not breed outside of their population so the "mutation" that allowed Feruchemy did spread around like Allomancy (which did exist before Rashek went to the Well, it was just considerably rarer). The Allomantic mutation spread but not in any concentration before Lerasium (sp?). The reason BioChroma is still new is because its mutation only occured recently.

Edit: These mutations occur in the spiritual DNA not the physical DNA.

Quote I think supports this theory

Aon Ehe's origin myth is well known among the common people and believed by most.

The story tells of the first princess of Arelon. This was some years after the founding of Arelon following the migration of the Aonic people from other lands. Elantris, of course, had already existed as a city when that migration occurred, and had been discovered empty. While some people assumed it haunted, Proud King Rhashm (later renamed Raoshem) determined to conquer the fears of his people and set up a kingdom centered on Elantris.

The transformation of the first Elantrians happened beginning several decades later. Princess Elashe "the first of Raoshem's line to be chosen as an Elantrian" claimed to have seen the pattern of this Aon inscribed on a coal in her hearth the day after she underwent the transformation.

It is an inworld myth so it could be suspect but I find it interesting that the transformation did not start for several decades. (A generation perhaps? or enough time for people to begin to form a spiritual connection to their "homeland") Something to keep in mind is that Sel's magic is geo-based so that could be why a connection to the location mattered.

Also I think this needs its own thread it is quite a distinct theory from the principle of intent.

Edited by discipleofhoid

• 3 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic