Favorite Character(s)

Trizee

Lady Isabella Trent form the Lady Trent Memoires (Natural History of Dragons and Tropic of Serpents and the yet unreleased rest of the series)

I always had a thing for interesting strong female leads in all the books I read (and sometimes judge the books on how badass those women are) and Lady Trent's voice in the books is just so amazing and I just love her for some reason...

Codex Alera, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this, but I really like Antillar Maximus and Steak & New Boots.

Riyria, Hadrian is is great guy, Royce is also pretty cool.

Fitz Books, I liked how Chade developed between the first and second trilogies.

Sanderson Books - Ham, Syl and Hoid as the Wit

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my favorites have been said already, but here's my top five.

Faramir - He's been my favorite character in the Lord of the Rings since the first time I read those books. One of my first fictional loves (the first, I think, was Robin Hood). Movies destroyed what makes him amazing though. He was one of the only characters the ring's temptation had no effect on, and I loved that because it showed how purely good he was. I also loved that he ended up with Eowyn. So perfect.

Edmond Dantes - The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my all-time favorite books. And Edmond.... There's just so much depth around his character and his arc is incredible. I love the changes that he goes through, from being more of a comedic character in the beginning and then to a tragic character for most of it, and then finally embracing both sides there at the end. And the way the name he responds to/refers to himself as corresponds with that. I did a very in depth research paper on him in one of my last semesters of college and there's so much to love and learn from not only in that book as whole but from Edmond specifically. Alexandre Dumas is a genius.

Kvothe/Kote - That slash between his names is the reason he makes this list. I think he's a cool character anyway, but I'm not sure he'd make my top five if there wasn't such a discrepancy between Kvothe and Kote and I'm intrigued to an insane degree to learn how he made that transition from one to the other.

Adolin - The Brandon slot is a tough one for me to fill. Do I put Kaladin, who I technically like the most, except for the fact that I wanted to smack his face off through the vast majority of WoR? Wit, who seems like the easy choice? Vin, who is just fantastic? Maybe Kell? Lightsong? Vasher? There's so many. But I think Adolin is the right one for now. I've always liked him--even in Way of Kings. I like that he's clearly honorable but he still has very real doubts, which is something that Dalinar doesn't have. Plus, I think he's about to get very interesting as a character, considering how he ended in WoR.

Thorin Oakenshield - It should be Bilbo here, if there's any character in The Hobbit on my top five list, but for some reason, I've always loved Thorin. Killed me a little inside when he died in the book. And then when I found out Richard Armitage was going to play him in the movies, I fell in love with him just a little bit more. Anyway, his is another fascinating character arc.

Most of my favorites have been said already, but here's my top five.

Faramir - He's been my favorite character in the Lord of the Rings since the first time I read those books. One of my first fictional loves (the first, I think, was Robin Hood). Movies destroyed what makes him amazing though. He was one of the only characters the ring's temptation had no effect on, and I loved that because it showed how purely good he was. I also loved that he ended up with Eowyn. So perfect.

This all the way!!!  *points up *  :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of my all-time favorite characters from the fictional realm.

Books:

Sazed, Vin (Mistborn Trilogy)

Wayne (Alloy of Law)

Deryn Sharp (Leviathan Trilogy)

Severus Snape (Harry Potter)

Stephanie Plum (One for the Money)

Games:

Mega Man (Mega Man series)

Kite (.hack series)

Toan (Dark Cloud)

Cliff Fittir (Star Ocean: Till the End of Time)

Codex Alera, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned this, but I really like Antillar Maximus and Steak & New Boots.

Riyria, Hadrian is is great guy, Royce is also pretty cool.

Fitz Books, I liked how Chade developed between the first and second trilogies.

Sanderson Books - Ham, Syl and Hoid as the Wit

Oh hell yes I can back you on that. Max became my fav character almost immediately after he was introduced. He becomes even better on the 2nd read through of Alera!

I think most, if not all of mine have already been mentioned.

In no particular order:

Nakor - Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar series

Arya Stark - George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series

Kelsier - Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy

Death, Lord Vetinari - Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Wedge Antilles, Mara Jade, Face Loran, 'Piggy', Wes Janson, Hobbie Klivian, Tycho Celchu - Various star Wars novels

McVen - Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghosts series

GSV Sleeper Service - Iain M. Banks Excession

Fitz, Fool, Nighteyes - Robin Hobb's Fitz/Fool series'.

Asher - Karen Miller's Fisherman's Children series - This was not a great series of books, but still an excellent character.

• 4 months later...

Fiction in general? Definitely MacKenzie McHale McAvoy from the Newsroom. Fighting the good fight for a change in news and a drive towards Idealism. It's the reason I like Dalinar and Leslie Knope so much. They are doing everything they can to keep rust together, and do a damnation good job of it. These characters are iterations of the ultimate character, the one who requires no mentioning since he's just so naturally implanted in the collective memory: Don Quixote.

I've also found Lucifer probably one of the most dynamic characters ever. I know, it's an unpopular opinion. But I think he is easily one of the most important characters to ever be written about.

I have mixed feelings about Yossarian, but I think I like him because he's one of the most prominent modern Tricksters ever, but has never, ever come up in the conversation of Trickster lore. Which i find odd, considering the popularity of Catch-22. 

Jim Halpert from the office because I have found myself identifying with his situations. Not only that, but the actor's portrayal and delivery of Jim's actions and words is the most well-executed I have ever seen.

Those are my four characters in descending order.

The lady in my avatar, Bernkastel, has been my favourite character for long enough that I can't quite remember why.

I guess now is as good a time as any to try to put it together.

To start with, there's her goth-loli character design, her voice, her army of cats... Hmm.

She's really quite an exceptional villain - she acts as the narrator's ally, and for a time, her excessive harshness and her fondness for revealing truths that others would prefer to keep hidden are useful to an uncomfortable extent. Of course, it turns out that she's the biggest troll in the Sea of Fragments and, like she's been saying all along, is essentially hijacking the most important event in the narrator's life just to kill time. It's not as if there's nothing that she truly cares about, of course - she has an official ship and certain backstory events that she's afraid to think about and everything - but the fun part is that underneath her cold exterior isn't a warm heart but a laughing-mad-magnificent-bastard.

...Well, something like that? It's still hard to pin down, really.