Favorite Character(s)

Trizee

I thought it would be interesting if people said who their favorite fictional characters are.

My absolute favorite is Crispin (Caius Crispus) from Guy Gavriel Kay's Sarantine Mosaic. I've never read a character who felt more human to me- such a combination of traits that at once felt very real and was entirely likable.

Some other really good ones are Robert Jordan's Perrin and Rand, Orson Scott Card's Rigg from Pathfinder and Ruins, and Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant. 

So, who are your favorites and what do you think of mine?

It's almost a cliché to say this at the moment, but Tyrion Lannister from George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire is one of my all-time favourites. His background is a weird mix of extreme advantage and extreme disadvantage. He's smart, insightful and entertaining, and cuts through a lot of the nonsense other characters weave around him without turning into the sort of manipulator so common in those books.

I also have a soft spot for Logan Ninefingers and the other ageing barbarians who are a regular feature of Joe Abercrombie's books. They usually have a nice mix of cynicism, determination and grim humour to them.

I have to admit that the only one of yours I'm familiar with is Thomas Covenant. I found him really interesting, though not very likeable, and he made a refreshing change as a lead character. But I didn't really like the prose style, so didn't get past the first book.

I could never pick one favourite, and I'm sure I could easily add more and more to this list as they occurred to me but hey...

Vimes from Discworld. He's just such an amazingly uncompromising, human character.

Tanner Sack, the Brucolac, and Uther Doul from The Scar by Chine Miéville. I could tell you why, but you should just read the book if you haven't. It'd be a crime not to.

Lightsong from Warbreaker, for reasons I've mentioned elsewhere. Simply a joy to read.

Sanya from the Dresden Files (he's a black Russian who wields one of three swords formed using the spikes of The cross, has spoken with angels, yet remains an atheist, insisting 'They could be aliens. Or I could be mad.' What's not to love? :P

Tyrion Lannister, because dammit he is just that good.

Tisamon and Thalric from Shadows of the Apt. One is an amazing badass with a deathwish, the other a deeply flawed and complex character with conflicting loyalties.

The Marquis de Carabas from Neverwhere. Hilarious, dangerous, out for himself, and lives entirely on a system of favours. Owing him anything is a bad idea, but almost everyone does.

That's all I can think of for now... but I may edit in some more later ;)

One of my favorite (non-BS) characters is "Garrett" (so he's called in the German translation) from The Chronicles of Siara (Alexey Pehov). I don't speak Russian so I can't compare (like English/German) but the German translation is very very good to read and I think it fits the tune of the book well (if not, I like it anyways). 

If I'm trying to read TWoK in German, I am angry after a few pages for that German translation is too flatulent for my liking. The original book seems more serious, and not in any way flatulent and thus I love it (aside from the content :)). 

Kelsier, Jasnah, Sazed, Dalinar, Kaladin

From other books:
Kruppe, Kallor, Karsa Orlong, Fiddler, Itkovian, Tool, Trull Sengar, Anomander Rake..... (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
Logen Ninefingers, San dan Glokta, Cracknut Whirrun, Craw..... (First Law)
Kvothe (Kingkiller Chronicle)
Vaelin Al Sorna (Raven's Shadow)
Kylar Stern (Night Angel)
Jorg Ancrath (The Broken Empire)

Drizzt, surprised no one has said that yet, even with the recent books being less than awesome. (Legend of Drizzt, R.A Salvatore)

Quentin Coldwater (The Magicians, Lev Grossman)

Ganoes Paran, Karsa Orlong, Fiddler (Malazan Book of the Fallen, Stephen Erikson)

Kvothe/Kote (Kingkiller Chronicles, Patrick Rothfuss)

Waxillium Ladrian (AoL)

Kaladin (WoK)

Honor Harrington, Victor Cachat, Nimitz and Eloise Pritchart from the Honorverse books.

Wes Janson, Face, Tycho Celchu and Grand Admiral Thrawn from Star Wars. Also, Gilead Palleon and Mara Jade.

Sabriel from the Abhorsen books.

Mad Larkin from Gaunt's Ghosts.

Garviel Loken from the early Horus Heresy books.

Atomic Robo (I'm counting him :P)

Just about all the Gentleman Bastards are great, really. 

I'm going to second Honor Harrington. I love her unwavering sense of loyalty and duty.

Elodin from The Kingkiller Chronicles

Kerowyn from By the Sword by Mercedes Lackey and Tarma from Vows and Honor

Aeron from the Copper Crown by Patricia Kennealy

Dalinar Kohlin (WoK)

Arya from ASoIF. I think her character is great in both the books and the show. 

Verin Sedai from WoT. She may be the only character in the series that wasn't exasperating, and I REALLY liked her story arc.

Arya's recently become one of my favourites too. I like the way she's turning into this potentially deadly character, but the same thing makes me really worry for her - an eight-year-old girl should not start turning into a deadly figure of vengeance!

I also love the Gentleman Bastards, but I particularly like Calo and Galdo

Vimes, Lord Vetinari from Discworld

Arya, Bran, Tyrion from ASOIAF

Anomander Rake, Ganoes Paran, Kruppe, Iskaral Pust, Fiddler, Whiskeyjack, Dassem Ultor, Trull Sengar from The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Elodin from Kingkiller chronicles

Vin and Spook from Mistborn

Kaladin, Rock, Jasnah and Shallan from tWoK.

^So you basically like all the clever characters with a great sense of humor ;) Me too!

I love that Arya is not portrayed as some helpless victim. She's kind of the perfect character... clever, sarcastic, brash... but you can empathize with her because her personality traits are enhanced by the tragedy she faces, not there because of them. 

love that Arya is not portrayed as some helpless victim. She's kind of the perfect character... clever, sarcastic, brash... but you can empathize with her because her personality traits are enhanced by the tragedy she faces, not there because of them. 

This is definitely a big part of the appeal for me too. In a world like Westeros, both women and children and largely disempowered by their circumstances. But Martin found a way to write a young girl who isn't a victim, who finds ways to take control of her life, in a way that's in keeping with the setting he's created, rather than some wacky exception to it. Her strengths and her flaws stem from the same events and personality traits, and that makes her all the more convincing.

• 2 weeks later...

Elric of Melnibone-I like Elric's brand of heroism: good, but dangerous company. A single line best sums Elric up; shortly after taking a Pan Tangian slave ship, Elric's companion suggests they sell the slaves at market to replenish their coin purses. Elric lets the slaves go free "because I felt like it." Rather than holding to the notion of honorable combat, Elric isn't above conjuring an elemental or using sorcery to win his fights. Very refreshing.

Coltaine-I found his dedication to his duty very inspiring.

Kaladin Stormblessed-Same as Coltaine, though I can relate to Kaladin a bit more. Replace Kaladin's imprisonment as a slave and rebirth as a leader with two semesters of organic chemistry.

Bane (The Dark Knight Rises)-I liked the idea of a character who is a dark mirror to the hero. The modifications to Bane's origin that presented him as someone struggling to attain what Bruce tossed away (leadership of the League of Shadows) and the desire to prove himself to the father that rejected him made for a compelling villain.

Sandor Clegane-The man's brutally honest. In a place like Westeros, it is refreshing.

Shallan-Her cleverness makes her chapters easy reads.

Roland Deschain-Like Kaladin, I admire Roland's dedication to his quest. I also like his personality in general.

Bane (The Dark Knight Rises)-I liked the idea of a character who is a dark mirror to the hero. The modifications to Bane's origin that presented him as someone struggling to attain what Bruce tossed away (leadership of the League of Shadows) and the desire to prove himself to the father that rejected him made for a compelling villain.

I love this! Great description.

• 4 months later...

Edmond Dantès - In a story that has everything one could want there has to be a main character that is everything one would want in a protagonist. Edmond is that protagonist. To me...one of the greatest characters in one of the greatest novels ever written.

Matrim Cauthon, Shai (I really hope we get to read more about her in the future), Eli Monpress, Cugel the Clever, Wit (Hoid)...and many others I'm too tired to think about at this moment.

Eddie Dean from The Dark Tower series! He's fantastic, always made me laugh. But rose the occasion, every time.

Tyrion and Arya from Game of Thrones, and Varys. He's just so shady, but I think honest in his goals.

I kinda like Adolin from WoK, I think he has a lot of potential for growth.

And of course Matrim Cauthon. He's the perfect character.

Tehol Beddict and his manservant, Bugg. Malazan Book of the Fallen.

<3

Malazan had issues (which became ridiculous by the end of the series with constant horrors of war and the complaining that came from them), but the first novel with Tehol and Bugg was just sublime. Oh, and in case I turned anyone off, the Malazan series was still bloody awesome. It filled a void in my heart that I never knew I had. Erikson just had issues with moralizing/philosophizing.