Who is your LEAST favorite character in the Cosmere?

Patar

Both villains in Elantris.  I don't remember either of their names.  Part of the reason I disliked Elantris (except for the Raoden POV's) is that the conclusion is a speech singing the virtues of one of the two.  Neither character ever did anything for me, not even bring out hatred like the good villains do (Sadeas etc.)

Sarene would also be on the list of least favorite characters, another who basically made me go 'meh' the entire time.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:15 AM, What's a Seawolf? said:

I don't remember either of their names. 

Antagonist-wise, there were... 3(4 if you count name-dropping Wyrn)
Hrathen: The forum favorite, PoV character.
Dilaf: The proper bad guy, Zealot.
Fjon: Here one scene, gone the next. Twice.

Ringing any bells?

7 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Antagonist-wise, there were... 3(4 if you count name-dropping Wyrn)
Hrathen: The forum favorite, PoV character.
Dilaf: The proper bad guy, Zealot.
Fjon: Here one scene, gone the next. Twice.

Ringing any bells?

I think he is after Hrathen and Dilaf. And also, Iadon should count as an antagonist. As should Shaor.

Least favorite character in the cosmere... hmm... Taravangian. Or maybe the Stick. Why couldn’t the stick just turn into fire for Shallan? The greedy stick took in so much Stormlight and gave nothing in return. Stupid stick.

• 2 weeks later...

Straff Venture irritated the crap out of me. I mean, he was supposed to, but I found him much more unpleasant to read than the other cosmere villans.

Zane was pretty useless. He didn't really add much to the story.

No one has said Kelsier yet, yay;)

Here's one I haven't seen yet - Venli. I always felt kinda "meh" about her and skipped her interludes the second time through OB.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, Sasja2112 said:

Straff Venture irritated the crap out of me. I mean, he was supposed to, but I found him much more unpleasant to read than the other cosmere villans.

Zane was pretty useless. He didn't really add much to the story.

No one has said Kelsier yet, yay;)

Here's one I haven't seen yet - Venli. I always felt kinda "meh" about her and skipped her interludes the second time through OB.

So... I think I'm about to burst that one. I'm doing a re-read of MB era 1, and I've just got to say, that Kelsier has to be one of the most pretentious, arrogant, and opportunistic individuals in the series. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal, and even thought that he was up there with my favorite characters, but on this read through it doesn't seem to be the case so much. Maybe I need to get through his arc in MB and SH the rest of the way, but I don't recall him growing as a character that much, and he says from the get go that he has plans to take down TLR as an added bonus for their contract to put Demoux in charge of the city with his rebellion. Sure, the words he speaks in the confrontation and the resulting Church lead some to believe that he was altruistic at the end, but it still feels like he just wanted to die and hopefully take TLR with him if he could, and "while I'm at it, let's set me up as a holy figure when I die"

Maybe they are intended as Preservation and Ruin analogues, but I'm having a hard time putting this into words as far as Preservation for Vin...

Anyway TLDR Kelsier is my least favorite character at the moment, but it changes on each re-read.

15 minutes ago, LarkinTyvell said:

So... I think I'm about to burst that one. I'm doing a re-read of MB era 1, and I've just got to say, that Kelsier has to be one of the most pretentious, arrogant, and opportunistic individuals in the series. Don't get me wrong, I can see the appeal, and even thought that he was up there with my favorite characters, but on this read through it doesn't seem to be the case so much. Maybe I need to get through his arc in MB and SH the rest of the way, but I don't recall him growing as a character that much, and he says from the get go that he has plans to take down TLR as an added bonus for their contract to put Demoux in charge of the city with his rebellion. Sure, the words he speaks in the confrontation and the resulting Church lead some to believe that he was altruistic at the end, but it still feels like he just wanted to die and hopefully take TLR with him if he could, and "while I'm at it, let's set me up as a holy figure when I die"

Maybe they are intended as Preservation and Ruin analogues, but I'm having a hard time putting this into words as far as Preservation for Vin...

Anyway TLDR Kelsier is my least favorite character at the moment, but it changes on each re-read.

Kelsier was for sure arrogant and opportunistic, but he also for sure grew even in Mistborn alone.

His entire thing was he wanted to murder any any and all noblemen. He then let Vin convince him that maybe all of them weren't evil. Kelsier then literally saves Elend letting him know that Vin was safe.

Kelsier did want to die, but he also refused to do it until he could dismantle the corrupt system. The holy figure bit seems mostly inspired by Sazed. Kelsier was amazed by the people that had stood up to TLR, and religion seemed to be what kept them motivated when faced with overwhelming odds. He knew that TLR was using religion to suppress the people. He needed to create a religion to counter it.

He for sure grows even more through Secret History.

Edited by Fatikis

3 minutes ago, Fatikis said:

Kelsier was for sure arrogant and opportunistic, but he also for sure grew even in Mistborn alone.

His entire thing was he wanted to murder any any and all noblemen. He then let Vin convince him that maybe all of them weren't evil. Kelsier then literally saves Elend letting him know that Vin was safe.

Kelsier did want to die, but he also refused to do it until he could dismantle the corrupt system. The holy figure bit seems mostly inspired by Sazed. Kelsier was amazed by the people that had stood up to TLR, and religion seemed to be what kept them motivated when faced with overwhelming odds. He knew that TLR was using religion to suppress the people. He needed to create a religion to counter it.

He for sure grows even more through Secret History.

All good points, this is why another reading was desperately needed on my part. I remember the time when I used to read a book and I could remember minutiae for years on end, and actually recall the events really well. Almost as if I had a coppermind of my own... It's probably because I'm still early in my re-read, but he still grates on me.

Also, it's a good thing we aren't bringing non-cosmere characters into this, because... Alcatraz. Guys, Alcatraz is just the worst, but that's not what this thread is about.

• 3 weeks later...

I really dislike most of Sandersons comic relief characters and also moments. Not that he writes bad, I've just come to a sad conclusion that he and I must have different comedic tastes. He's very blunt with his humour, whereas I grew up reading WoT and kind of learning to love RJ's very subtle almost anti-comedy.

I found Lightsong irritating for most of Warbreaker (ironically, though, I identify with Lightsong probably the most of BS' characters). I cannot stand Lift at all (hopefully he gives her more characterization later) and anytime Wayne is being 'eccentric' I want to just skip past it (Wayne, however, has moments that make me love him so I won't actually include him on the list)

SO, I'd say Lift is easily my least favourite. Lightsong a very close second. 

Wayne seems like a love-him-or-hate him character. Same for Lift and Lopen. I do feel like Wayne is more developed, and much better than the other two. Lift almost feels invincible at times, and when it comes to Lopen, everything is turned into a joke. Wayne feels more grounded, more real, and more complex.

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Wayne seems like a love-him-or-hate him character. Same for Lift and Lopen. I do feel like Wayne is more developed, and much better than the other two. Lift almost feels invincible at times, and when it comes to Lopen, everything is turned into a joke. Wayne feels more grounded, more real, and more complex.

And then he talks to Steris outside the cave, and puts himself back into perspective... :)

I don't like Jasnah anymore. She seems cool, but I don't care for her and for me it feels like she is just taking space other characters I like more could occupy.

Spoiler

I really wanted to see Renarin or Adolin becoming the King of Alekhar, and watch closer relation between Shallan and Navani. Then Jasnah came back.

2 hours ago, Gancho Libre said:

I thought the same

Spoiler

I really like her powers and abilities, i just couldn't care less about the person attached. That's the annoying part - I would like to see all this in hands of allmost anyone else. Mabye its because of my diffrent worldview.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:44 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Well said.  I think you explained why I love Wayne, but I wish Lopen would go away and Lift it depends on my mood, but mostly she needs to go away or at least change.