So I don't know if this means anything or if anyone else has touched on this, but Kalad, the name attached to the secret army referred to as Kalad's Phantoms in Warbreaker is a shortened version of Kaladin's name, the prmary character in The Stormlight Archive. Now since the events of Warbreaker supposedly happened before the Stormlight Archive, that isn't actually provable at this moment.

So could Kaladin somehow end up on Nalthis and be a part of its history? Or could someone from his bridge crew or someone else inspired by him become a worldhopper and end up on Nalthis, using Kaladin's name or a variation of it to uphold his inspiration?

Kaladin's name was changed 90% of the way into Stormlight archive, and he was named that because it would sound like Paladin.

So this doesn't seem particularly likely.

Be that as it may, he could very well have decided after the idea to change Kaladin's name that him and Kalad were either the same person or connected since the background story isn't set in stone.

Not everything is an in depth contribution.  Sometimes authors just get a certain name stuck in their head and use variations.  There have been other instances of words appearing in multiple books, and it has been confirmed by team Sanderson that it was just coincidence.  Now, if Kaladin all of a sudden comes into the command of undead warriors made out of concrete and bones, that might be a different story, but I doubt he would even consider doing something like that.

Note that 'ati' is an elantrian aon for 'hope', but it's completely unrelated to the nice and caring guy also named 'Ati'.

I actually figured that one was feasibly related. >.>

But then, that goes back to my whole "Ado is an Aon" and therefore "Aonic is based on pre-shattering language" and so on.

I actually figured that one was feasibly related. >.>

It's been officially confirmed as a coincidence (Ati the Aon was named after a girl named Matisse who did an Elantris diorama thingy, IIRC). They're even pronounced differently - not that anyone would notice. Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

• Chaos locked this topic