Divine Breath, Drab God.

Senor Feesh

@Phantom

Yes yes, Lifeless are all "90% sentient" and more aware than we give them credit for (we ought't to keep them in the dark and all), but is that a result of some Spiritual nonsense happening, or just bare-bones Cognition gone wild? I'm not saying that it's supremely likely, but it is worth examining.

@Senor

Apparently Clod will be a POV character in the next Nalthis book (if it's ever written). Though, in my defense, Clod's apparently a bit unique because of Vasher's Breath-dump when he was killed.

yeah, that single breath could simply be reanimating the brain/central nervous system.  This could give it the capacity for thought in much the same way as a computer.  Not compelling evidence that lifeless having a breath means much. 

I'm starting to think (without any good cause) that a Breath is less a part of a soul, and more a microcosm of the soul.  Like those Russian dolls, it's a part of a human soul that is a mini-soul in itself.  A lifeless doesn't possess a real and complete soul (the thing we cannot endow), but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a splinter of a soul.

We really need a thread soon discussing the similarities between Lifeless (chunk of a soul) and Koloss (stapled bits of souls).

Thanks guys, that's very interesting. Clod would potentially also be a special case due to being Returned prior to being Lifeless. I'm not saying it would make a difference, but it's another hole in our knowledge.

Edited by Senor Feesh

Thanks guys, that's very interesting. Clod would potentially also be a special case due to being Returned prior to being Lifeless. I'm not saying it would make a difference, but it's another hole in our knowledge.

Yeah, but we do have a word of Brandon that all Lifeless are more aware than people give them credit for.

The exact quote is

Lightsong Sees the Lifeless and Takes Command of Them

They keep them in the dark. This is a bad idea. They don�t realize it, but the Lifeless are far more aware than everyone assumes. Clod in this book is a foreshadowing of that, and there won�t be much more about it in the rest of the novel. It�s one of the focus points for the sequel, if I ever write it. (Which will actually have a Lifeless as a viewpoint character, if I can find a way to swing it.)

Do you have any word confirming that the Lifeless PoV would be from Clod?

Huh, I can't find it. I may well have been mistaken, then. Thank you for double-checking.

Or it's possible it's slipped through the cracks.  I mean, it's fairly likely, but we've gotten viewpoints from minor people who are pretty weird in Warbreaker before.  I'm still not sure that Old Chapps was really as minor as he seems... but then again, I'm also of the opinion that Vasher is a member of the seventeenth shard, since he uses 'investiture' as his personal terminology.

I didn't see anything either.  But it seems like a good guess to me.  Everything in the annotations indicates that the next book would be about Vasher and Vivenna's conflict with Yesteel.  We're told in the epilogue that Yesteel developed a new, more potent type of ichor-alcohol for Lifeless. 

Can anyone tell me where I got the impression that Jewels took Clod/Arsteel with her to seek out Yesteel to see if he could do anything for him? nvm: googled it, chapter 57 annotation

And by the way, we don't see Tonk Fah, Jewels, or Clod again in the book. They'll come back in the sequel. Without Denth's control, Tonks is off to start murdering and killing wantonly; by the next book, he'll have changed quite dramatically.

Jewels, on the other hand, is taking Arsteel (Clod) to his brother, who is a master of Lifeless Commands. (Yesteel invented ichor-alcohol.) She hopes to find a way to restore to Arsteel some of his memories and personality.

That also explains why we thought that Arsteel would probably be the Lifeless viewpoint, if Yesteel is successful in restoring his memories and personalty to a degree.

• Chaos locked this topic