Conic Wardings

Tarontos

Spoilers

This theory is about the shapes of lines of Warding.

First some conic theory for the uninitiated. A conic is a shape determined by cutting a plane through two cones that meat at the point, and bases are parallel. the shapes that can be made are a parabolas, hyperbolas , ellipses, and circles.

The entire theory is that a line of warding can be made by using any conic.

Edited by Tarontos

Hyperbolas and parabolas are infinite, however. I've never tried to draw something that goes to infinity, but I'm pretty sure you'd run into some problems there. I agree with your theory; it just has little practical value for rithmatists since they can't draw infinite conics.

possibly not, a rithmantist could put a line of forbiddance in the back, granted the corners might be weak, and i am unsure of the strength of areas along the curve, ridiculous near the tips weak along the edges, bind points would probably be at the vertices.

Can arcs be used in lines of warding?  If so, then it stands to reason that non infinite hyperbolas and parabolas could be used as well.  It's worth noting that a line is technically a conic section as well, and lines of forbiddance aren't infinite.

On the other hand parabolas and hyperbolas are probably harder to draw than circles and ellipses, while having negligible benefit.

the benefit of the conics sections is indeed negligible, but i doubt they would be useless, parabola trap, quick easy to draw, create an internal bind point with a bonded chalking, slaughter. Imagine your opponent sends forward a chalkling dragon rush, at you you have a single forward chalkling, given that they can't change orders after being released, you hastily draw a parabola funneling all of the chalklings forward toward your knight, this cuts off your knight but also gives it time to kill off a large amount of chalklings.

Hmm...  If you assume that the properties of the line are based on the angle of the plane that intersects the cones, then a parabola actually has more in common with lines of forbiddance than lines of warding.

Curved lines of warding could be pretty interesting.  Also, I wonder if you could do anything interesting with reflecting lines of vigor off of a parabola?

This just got pointed out to me on  another thread but it really makes sense as to the reason ellipses and other non-circle conics as to the number of bind-points. so theory is about the vertices and how only the vertices can be used as bind points. this comes from the thought that ellipses vertices are on the vertices and any point on a circle can be a into a vertices. so this lends credit to the points at which a conic has bind-points, the vertices.

Credited to Takeshi

I would be very surprised if other conics didn't have a role to play in Rithmatics, somehow.  Circles are special, but as soon as you say "circle or ellipse," there are very few mathematicians who wouldn't follow up asking about other conic sections.  I suspect that partial conic sections also have roles to play, although I would be surprised if scholars in the United Isles hadn't looked at it.  Knowledge of the conic sections goes back to ancient Greece.

uqqG0KF.png

additional theory: noting that all circles attached to bind points are only one thick, aside from the Taylor witch has two internal circle, i am going to theorize that having three circles like that is impossible, with out two additional main circles, also I theorize that the bind points would be on the center of the curves. noting corners are considered to be weak.

edit this would be a ridiculous defense how do you defend your sides and back

Edited by Tarontos

additional theory: noting that all circles attached to bind points are only one thick, aside from the Taylor witch has two internal circle, i am going to theorize that having three circles like that is impossible, with out two additional main circles, also I theorize that the bind points would be on the center of the curves. noting corners are considered to be weak.

Bah!  Poppycock! 

Foolish talk and slander! 

These curves are each, in fact, sections of a greater circle numbering sixty in degree - and as any rithmatist can tell you, the Blad defense gives clear precendence for bindpoints on arcs serving the same purposes as of those on the whole!  Thus, each corner is the intersection of two hexagonal bindpoints, doubling the effective strength of otherwise-flimsy bindings.

As for the effective use?  Why, it's an all-out chalkling attack, of course, leaving such nonsensical and dull concepts as lines of vigor in the dust!  Though, if you feel yourself weak-hearted or otherwise cowardly, you may use this revision instead

OQdziF9.png

Which doubles the amount of protection provided by the inner circle, and incidentally creates a confluence of five bindpoints on the front! 

I have, of course, omitted the maker's mark, as I feel that is best left as an exercise for the student.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

And hence my inner Rithmatist's is aroused

The only description we get of the Blad defense is "four disjointed ellipsoid segments"some precedent but not much.

1. The circles go over the said imaginary circle it is bound two.
  2. The lines of forbadence will allow you to become surrounded and unable to defend yourself on the sides. now if i assume those to be drawing marks for the student this defense is not anchored properly.
  3. the space between each set of bind circles is quite large and chalklings with long strings shall get distracted.
  4. are you implying that lines of vigor are out of date, witch they are not, Lines of revocation take longer to draw and slightly more difficult. 

Now i have a suggestion, use sixty degree sections of a nine pointer to put circles in the center of each ark.

Also superfluous vocabulary is difficult to interpret, As Joel once said "Safe and Simple"