'The Thrill' origin

lock_and_key

We know it comes from Nergaoul, an Unmade (which are Splinters of Odium), via Taravangian:

“The Thrill?” he whispered to Adrotagia as they left the latest group of men.

“They fought through the night as their capital burned. It must have been in force.”

“I agree,” she said. “It gives us a further reference point. The Thrill is at least as strong here as it is in Alethkar. Maybe stronger. I will speak to our scholars. Perhaps this will help pinpoint Nergaoul.”

“Do not spend too much effort on that,” Taravangian said, approaching another group of Veden soldiers. “I’m not sure what we would even do if we found the thing.” An ancient, evil spren was not something he had the resources to tackle. Not yet at least. “I would rather know where Moelach is moving.” Hopefully, Moelach hadn’t decided to slumber again. The Death Rattles had, so far, offered them the best way that they’d found to augment the Diagram.

I've long suspect it's a perversion of the way Kaladin gets when he fights. Like, something about Kaladin's prowess is "good" and of Honor, so Odium crafted The Thrill.

Perhaps also worthy of note, that first scene of Dalinar when he's racing Elhokar, he mentions the lesser Thrill of Competition. Which is apparently a different thing than the Thrill of Combat? Or the same thing to a different degree? I wish we knew more about it.

• 11 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2015 at 9:36 PM, Moogle said:

We know it comes from Nergaoul, an Unmade (which are Splinters of Odium), via Taravangian:

“The Thrill?” he whispered to Adrotagia as they left the latest group of men.

“They fought through the night as their capital burned. It must have been in force.”

“I agree,” she said. “It gives us a further reference point. The Thrill is at least as strong here as it is in Alethkar. Maybe stronger. I will speak to our scholars. Perhaps this will help pinpoint Nergaoul.”

“Do not spend too much effort on that,” Taravangian said, approaching another group of Veden soldiers. “I’m not sure what we would even do if we found the thing.” An ancient, evil spren was not something he had the resources to tackle. Not yet at least. “I would rather know where Moelach is moving.” Hopefully, Moelach hadn’t decided to slumber again. The Death Rattles had, so far, offered them the best way that they’d found to augment the Diagram.

I've been trying to find this quote for a bit now, and the theory it's a perversion of Odium's makes a lot of sense. Especially since Kaladin doesn't seem to feel it, and both Adolin and Dalinar near the end of the book notice how the thrill is not present for them during the last battle right before the Knights Radiant is refounded.

Well, through WoR, Dalinar feels the Thrill, but then it suddenly leaves. It could be because of Nergaoul moving, or it could be that Radiants and those who are on the path to become them (Dalinar included in this) have less reception for the effects of the Unmade. 

It almost makes me want to watch a Radiant or proto-Radiant die, just so we can see if they have a Death Rattle. Almost.

1 minute ago, Stormgate said:

Well, through WoR, Dalinar feels the Thrill, but then it suddenly leaves. It could be because of Nergaoul moving, or it could be that Radiants and those who are on the path to become them (Dalinar included in this) have less reception for the effects of the Unmade. 

It almost makes me want to watch a Radiant or proto-Radiant die, just so we can see if they have a Death Rattle. Almost.

Or it could be that they don't feel the Thrill because Neragaoul doesn't feel like helping them against the Voidbringers.  At least, that's how I interpreted it.  IIRC, the Voidbringers feel the Thrill in that battle perfectly well; it's only the Alethi that don't.

Watching a Radiant die probably wouldn't tell you whether the could get a Death Rattle, though, unless we actually saw it happen.  After all, most people die without a Rattle.  Unless you see a whole bunch of Radiants die, you still probably won't know if they can get a Rattle or not.

Yeah, I was thinking the thrill was gone because it would have helped the enemy. On the other hand, they've edit: never been that far out on the shattered plains before, so it's hard to say. The Death Rattles appear to have a range.

Edited by Argel
Added the never

I was under the impression that in my opinion there are three "states" you could be in in combat. State one is normal. In other words you act like you would normally, whether it is you are trained and deal with combat as a soldier, or you are new and fearful and void your bowels, that is still you being you in that moment. State two, is the Thrill. You want to kill more and more than typical for you. Battle is a heady experience that is like a drug. Now some people could be that way in state one, but that is why I wrote normal for you the individual. State three, is the Thrill affecting a proto radiant. That proto radiant becomes violently sick to their stomach to the point they almost cannot function on the battle field. They are nauseous and want to puke. This is typically noticeable as the ones we have seen under go this are hardened trained soldiers even without the Thrill. Then suddenly they are unable to function till they confront these disparate feelings and then are no longer affected by the Thrill at all. 

I don't think Dalinar losing the thrill is due to Nergaoul moving.  As we can see in the last battle on the plains, Dalinar & Adolin are not "using the thrill" but Adolin recognizes that Eshoni is, and uses it to his advantage.  So I'm thinking if Eshoni can still use it, Adolin & Dallinar could if they wanted to.

But Adolin talks about training himself not to:

"Adolin waited for the familiar eagerness to urge him forward, the desire to rush into the fight without concern for the consequences.  He'd trained himself to resist that urge, and was suprised to find it... gone.  Nothing."

• Chaos locked this topic