Need to kill some time while I'm bored at work... Ask me anything!

The Sovereign

11 hours ago, Shqueeves said:

Which shoe do you put on first? 

Honestly, I have never thought about it. I suppose the one that is closet to me each time.

8 hours ago, Dovamaxx said:

I have a question. Do copper clouds work like a bubble (people inside the cloud can tell if someone is burning metals) or a fog (no one can tell unless they can pierce copperclouds) thank you 

Like a fog; For example, if a Mistborn is burning Copper and Bronze they wouldn't be able to sense any Allomantic pulses (barring being strong enough to pierce the Copper [either naturally or through Investiture augmentation like Hemalurgy]).

Do you have an imaginary friend named Mr. Floofles who is a man in a pink rabbit costume?

I once did...

Spoiler

Not really, but I felt like putting that there. :D

Spoiler

My mind is a strange place.

Edited by Tesh Kholin

10 hours ago, Tesh Kholin said:

Do you have an imaginary friend named Mr. Floofles who is a man in a pink rabbit costume?

I once did...

Reveal hidden contents

Not really, but I felt like putting that there. :D

Reveal hidden contents

My mind is a strange place.

Can't say that I do. And yes, it would seem that it is :lol:.

whatisthis.png

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

@The Sovereign

If you had to be stuck on a desert island with one Cosmere character who would it be?

Coke or Pepsi?

Favorite movie?

Fovorite mythological monster?

Probably Lightsong or Shallan Davar.

I actually don't drink soda and haven't in years but when I was younger I preferred Pepsi.

Good Will Hunting

The Kraken

• 4 months later...

I believe you mentioned that you are fluent in Chinese and Japanese and are familiar with their culture. Is there any books, with a good English translation that you would recommend from Asian authors or books that are popular there, but are relatively unknown in the United States? I think I asked a similar question previous, but I broadened the question and allowed room for recent developments.

Edited by Ammanas

31 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I believe you mentioned that you are fluent in Chinese and Japanese and are familiar with their culture. Is there any books, with a good English translation that you would recommend from Asian authors or books that are popular there, but are relatively unknown in the United States? I think I asked a similar question previous, but I broadened the question and allowed room for recent developments.

I'm pretty good with Chinese, but I actually barely speak a word of Japanese. I am pretty familiar with both cultures though. Do you want to stick to SciFi/Fantasy? 

A couple of recommendations:
Wasteland of Time by Bao Shu: is a good read, the story follows the life of a college student as the world more or less collapses around him due to a problem with an experiment with the large Hadron collider that causes time to reset to a certain point every 24 hours or so. 

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin: This one I would highly recommend. It takes place during the Chinese cultural revolution. The government makes contact with Aliens and they come to invade Earth as their own planet is dying. The story is mostly about groups of people on earth trying to help the Aliens as they see the world as corrupt and groups who are planning to fight the invasion.

To be fair, Three-Body Problem doesn't really fit the category of unknown in the States (it actual won a Hugo in like 2014) but it is an excellent read.

As for what is popular over there, this is hard to say. The Chinese government has been particularly ban-crazy the last 5 or so years in the realms of Sci-Fi and Fantasy so there just isn't a ton in the genre coming out of China (For example; anything with time travel is now banned). And culturally they really like American and European literature/shows/etc. (Did you know "Friends" is the most popular TV show in China among people 30 and younger?)

• 1 month later...

@The Sovereign

11: What is the meaning of the number 14?

23: Are you able to do a back-flip?

44: Do you like sushi?

13: How old is your youngest pet?

38: In the event of a zombie apocalypse what would be your first actions?

34: In the above situation, where would you choose to hide out?

65: If the apocalypse were a sentient potato apocalypse instead, would that influence your actions differently?

Edited by TheVillageIdiot

18 hours ago, TheVillageIdiot said:

@The Sovereign

11: What is the meaning of the number 14?

23: Are you able to do a back-flip?

44: Do you like sushi?

13: How old is your youngest pet?

38: In the event of a zombie apocalypse what would be your first actions?

34: In the above situation, where would you choose to hide out?

65: If the apocalypse were a sentient potato apocalypse instead, would that influence your actions differently?

11: A numeral indication of a value 1 higher than 13 but 1 less than 15.

23: Nope.

44: I do indeed.

13: I don't currently have any pets. I have a condo and my building doesn't allow non-service pets.

38: Get to Holy Cross in Worcester, MA. (explanation below)

34: There is a storeroom below the dining hall at College of the Holy Cross. It has one door in/out and is otherwise completely underground with cement walls/ceilings so it would be relatively easy to barricade and defend. It has a full bathroom and enough stored food to last years. I'd go there.

65: I'd make sooooo much Poutine.

• 9 months later...
On 11/9/2018 at 0:01 AM, Badadah said:

Cats or dogs?

Vin or Elend?

Lord Ruler or Kelsier?

Odium or Ruin?

Favorite book series?

Favorite video game?

Dogs
Vin
Kelsier
Odium
The Wheel of Time
Currently: Elder Scrolls Online, all time: Mario Kart 64

@Silva

A or B?

If 2x + y = 8, and x + y = 5, what is the value of x - y?

Why are questions hard to think of?

B
1 (X=3, Y=2)
They aren't.

Edited by The Sovereign

14 hours ago, Badadah said:

WHY DOES EVERYONE LIKE DOGS BETTER?

You know when you get home from a long day at work and you walk in the door to find your dog super excited and just going mental like they just won the superbowl, meanwhile your cat sneers at you like "go make me dinner slave" ...? That's why.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2018 at 4:23 PM, The Sovereign said:

Dogs
Vin
Kelsier
Odium
The Wheel of Time
Currently: Elder Scrolls Online, all time: Mario Kart 64

@Silva

B
1 (X=3, Y=2)
They aren't.

I agree with all the following except...

Lord of the Rings for the fifth one and If I have to choose either A or B, I choose C.

Also have not played Elder Scrolls Online, but I do like Skyrim and Oblivion.

Another thing to think about. I, The Lord Ruler, did not disagree to your statement about you being better. Also note that the name you use isn't Kelsier, it the the Sovereign. People think the Sovereign is me, not you, even though you are the actual Sovereign.

I lost where I was going with this but, whatever.

What is your favorite Sanderson book?

Edited by Rashek of Bridge Four

10 hours ago, Rashek of Bridge Four said:

I agree with all the following except...

Lord of the Rings for the fifth one and If I have to choose either A or B, I choose C.

Also have not played Elder Scrolls Online, but I do like Skyrim and Oblivion.

Another thing to think about. I, The Lord Ruler, did not disagree to your statement about you being better. Also note that the name you use isn't Kelsier, it the the Sovereign. People think the Sovereign is me, not you, even though you are the actual Sovereign.

I lost where I was going with this but, whatever.

What is your favorite Sanderson book?

Lord of the Rings is a great series, I have nothing bad to say about it except "Tom Bombadil, why?"

Choosing C is not very orderly of you...

All great games, Morrowind was excellent as well. From a strictly game play perspective it may have been the best Elder Scrolls game in the entire series. I would love to see it re-released with modern graphics.

Shrug, sounds like you're just riding my coat-tails. 

Warbreaker is my favorite. I'm also really fond of Shadows For Silence In the Forests Of Hell.

3 hours ago, Rashek of Bridge Four said:

What is your job?

I do quoting for commercial plumbing projects like hotels, schools, historical buildings, etc. Basically I scour architectural drawings and specifications and then quote how much the material will cost for the plumbing contractors to do the job.