Need to kill some time while I'm bored at work... Ask me anything!

The Sovereign

On 7/29/2015 at 2:30 PM, Kipper said:

What do you do for work?

I work for a company that makes parts for large printing presses. I maintain the accounts of our Chinese, Japanese, and Taiwanese customers. Basically I read and answer emails and have conference calls via skype all day. Unfortunately, as there is a 12-13 hour time difference I end up doing what is basically busy work for a large chunk of the day.

Edited by The Sovereign
Not anymore...

That one is tough, Pizza is great but my favorite is probably omlettes. Then again, I have a soft spot for Hemulurgic cookies...

Yeah, most people do. It's hard for a Hemalurgic cookie to work properly in a hard spot anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What's your favorite color?

Favorite Mistborn character? (I'm guessing a guy named after a swamp with nails in his head. :P)

My favorite color is Orange.

Very astute of you. Yeah Marsh is my favorite although I am also very fond of Sazed.

Have you been at work this whole time?

Lord ruler no! That would have made for an interesting social experiment though, how long would I have to be stuck at work before I actually put a Steel Spike through my eye...

Are you fluent in more than one language?

Close enough, I would say I am above proficient in both French and Mandarin but I'm not sure I would go as far as to say I am fluent. During college, I lived in China for a year in an area where English was rare at best and I got around just fine.

• 1 month later...

It helps if you follow the topic... :P

Yes. What is your dream place to live?

That's tough, I've lived in a few different places: Cape Cod, Toronto, Beijing, Osaka and I found that I get a bit stir crazy after a couple of years. I like having four seasons so not like a tropical place or anything like that. I'm also somewhat indifferent to City or country, I like both. So, I didn't really  answer your questions, but there you go...

• 1 year later...

I know you are interested in Chinese science fiction, but what about Japanese? If so any recommendations? I am currently reading the third book in the Legend of the Galactic Heroes series. They are 10 light novels that just started getting a english translation. They are evidently a huge deal over there and I think they are fantastic.

Also you went tho Holy Cross which is iirc a Jesuit school. Can you explain how that works? Do most catholics choose a sub group to be apart of whether it Jesuit, Opus Dei etc?

Edited by Ammanas

54 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

I know you are interested in Chinese science fiction, but what about Japanese? If so any recommendations? I am currently reading the third book in the Legend of the Galactic Heroes series. They are 10 light novels that just started getting a english translation. They are evidently a huge deal over there and I think they are fantastic.

Also you went tho Holy Cross which is iirc a Jesuit school. Can you explain how that works? Do most catholics choose a sub group to be apart of whether it Jesuit, Opus Dei etc?

I haven't read a ton of Japanese SciFi however I have heard good things about the Galactic Heroes series. I have a friend who travels to Japan a few times a year for work and is big into SciFi, I'll have to ask him for some recommendations and get back to you. 

As for Holy Cross, you do recall correct, they are indeed a Jesuit school. Honestly I'm not the best person to ask in regards to Catholic subgroups. I do know a small amount of the history; basically the Jesuits are a Liberal Catholic offshoot from France that thought spreading education was the best way to serve God, so their missionaries built schools and the like. I am actually an atheist and was attracted to Holy Cross because they have one of the best Linguistics programs in the world (Look up Claudia Ross sometime if you are interested in Linguistics, she is the head of the Linguistics and Language departments at Holy Cross, she is nothing short of brilliant) rather than the religious side of it. From a practical standpoint, the only way that the school being Jesuit effected me was that I was required to take a semester of a religion class as one of my common requirements. I took "Ancient and Medieval Hinduism", because, well, why not? It seemed interesting and while I particularly disliked the professor the material itself was indeed quite interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...