What Type Of Gamer Are You?

I know that there are a lot of people on the Shard who are gamers and who also are interested in Myers-Briggs personality assessments. 

I stumbled across a quiz that is a Myers-Briggs like assessment of what type of gamer you are. Apparently I am a gamer that is action-oriented, analytical, relaxed, independent, and practical.

This is pretty spot on for me, since I love action games, strategy-based games, puzzle games, and do not enjoy playing online with other people. I like to take things slowly and beat games after figuring out the best and most practical approach to  a given task/level/whatever. 

As someone who also likes graphs, the results of the quiz spit out a nifty six-axis graph of your gamer type. Here's mine, and it vaguely looks like a tweaked out Pac-Man:

Oi37ACW.jpg

What type of gamer personality are other Sharders? Is there something about us all being Sanderfans that will mean we're similar types of gamers?

I don't know how to post images, but mine looks like a triangle. I scored a 93% on mastery, as I fully expected because I put a great deal into doing my best on a game and I take pleasure mostly by being good, planning good strategies, and even getting recognition as a good player. I realized that I can acctually feel insulted if other players adopt a strategy that implies they ddo not recognize me as a worthy opponent - like trying stupid tricks that only works against inexperienced players.

I also got a 93% on social, which I did not expect. But then, that test counted "social" as "on the internet". I am not the "social" player in the classically intended sense. I don't give a damnation about forming guilds or stuff, I simply like to compete against other humans, because as challenges they are infinitely more rewarding that the AI. Which is a bit of a paradox because for all my competitiveness I am a very nonconfrontational person otherwise, and in many games I even don't like 1v1 because I feel winning or losing would be too personal. I also like to cooperate as a team, but again, not without any real intention of forming a community. So I think that profile is a bit skewed on that.

Then I got almost nothing for all the other four factors. I am a focused guy, I like few things but I like them a lot. Although, again, I don't think the test really catches me, because those other things are actually important for the times I play in single player. I don't care  about story when I go multiplayer, but when I run a game in single it can be the most important thing. In general, I can play different games, or even different modes of the same game, with different goals, and getting entertainment in different ways, so that test fails to consider that in me. All in all, it wasn't very accurate. But then, I never found a test who could do more than get some general vague ideas right. Then again, I am a particular guy and I realize many of the subtle distinctions that make me adore something and hate something apparently very similar, or consider something of the utmost importance in one context and utterly irrelevant in an apparently similar context, are only clear to me, and even some of my oldest friends don't really understand me, so maybe I'm just a difficult person to model.

My Results:

DiYzR0p.jpg

I'm certainly not surprised one bit, I prefer single player games of the strategy, adventure, or role-play genres, and I do tend to clock way more time into a game than pretty much everyone else due to my tendencies of what this quiz called "Immersion", "Creativity", and "Achievement". I actually really like the breakdowns it offers below the chart on the results page, which were even more accurate than the overall chart. 

I also got a 93% on social, which I did not expect. But then, that test counted "social" as "on the internet". I am not the "social" player in the classically intended sense. I don't give a damnation about forming guilds or stuff, I simply like to compete against other humans, because as challenges they are infinitely more rewarding that the AI. Which is a bit of a paradox because for all my competitiveness I am a very nonconfrontational person otherwise, and in many games I even don't like 1v1 because I feel winning or losing would be too personal. I also like to cooperate as a team, but again, not without any real intention of forming a community. So I think that profile is a bit skewed on that.

In terms of gaming, any kind of interaction with other players is considered "social". Be it playing locally with others in games like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros., playing online multiplayer in shooters, or even competing for leaderboard standings. Unless you can play the modes you do offline, it is considered "social". Perhaps that's not the best word for it, though I do find myself agreeing with it, personally. So I wouldn't call the quiz skewed, it hit the nail right on the head.

Wow - these forums are the source of all kinds of cool geeky links! Thanks Titan for starting this thread! :D

Here are my results - my gaming style is "Calm, Analytical, Independent, and Practical," which is pretty accurate. (I don't do multiplayer games - just enjoy pitting my brain against the game itself.)

The Achievement Components (62%)

• Completion (83%)
  • Power (39%):

The Mastery Components (50%)

• Challenge (34%)
  • Strategy (66%)

The Immersion Components (45%)

• Fantasy (39%)
  • Story (52%)

The Action Components (20%)

• Destruction (37%)
  • Excitement (12%)