Baneposting

Moash

I guess I was just imagining if CIA was in the cosmere as a worldhopper and I was hoping some people on here could banepost. so let me ask you guys a question then. Marsh and Sazed are about to fight each other in the Well of Ascension, Sazed then asks Marsh "If I pull out that spike would you die?" 

What would Marsh say in response?

I have no idea what baneposting is. Details please?

It is an online meme that makes fun of the awkward dialogue during the scene in which Bane crashes the CIA plane in the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises.

Read up on it here.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/baneposting

Would anyone else accept Aidan Gillen as Hoid in a stormlight adaptation?

Edited by Rubix
Please don't double post. Edit your previous post instead.

No one cared who he was until he appeared in Game of Thrones.

(Did it do it right?)

Yeah you sort of did, although people who know him say he has been great in roles before Littlefinger. I read the maze runner trilogy years back and though I didn't like the first two I loved the third one. I watched the film and I enjoyed it, will watch the second. Then one day I am at the cinema seeing some movie and I see a trailer for the sequel and then I see the antagonist and I think "Stormfather! Is that CIA?" Is that really him? I went home and looked it up and I nearly jumped for joy that Aidan Gillen would play the antagonist. To make matters even greater, giancarlo esposito will be playing a supporting character in it. Gus and CIA both in a dystopian novel adaptation together. It is beautiful.

This here is for everyone, if you watch videos on youtube of the plane scene you get the most amazing comments and conversations involving baneposts. There are also a ton of awesome banepost videos to watch. With that being said I present to you the greatest analysis of Master Nolan's deep and memorable plane scene (by the way nolan actually said the plane scene was his favourite scene to put together out of every film he has made). Oh and Quiver check out those videos on youtube, Banestar is quite good, I am CIA is also a great one. Just browse and you will thank me for it. WITHOUT FURTHER ADO LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, I PRESENT TO YOU THE ANALYSIS OF A LIFETIME!

CIA is himself experiencing a fight club-esque identity crisis. doesn't the mantra "i'm CIA" strike you as the ramblings of a mad man? he uses it to cling to what he thinks, what he HOPES he is. he wants a purpose. he can't be a monolithic singularity like batman, bane or raja ghoul. we see his instability when he projects it onto his prisoners. the perfect canvases with their silent tongues and blank faces. "who paid you to grab doctor puddle?". as we all know, CIA is himself being paid to grab doctor puddle. he's questioning authority and allegiance. "he didn't fly so good": here he refers to himself in the third person, in an out of body experience. he knows he's slipping, he's doing poorly, this plane trip isn't going to plan. CIA didn't fly so good. "a lot of loyalty for a hired gun". why is he loyal to the CIA, so much so that he considers them one and the same? and of course, "why does he wear the mask?". CIA doesn't know any more, he doesn't know why he rises every day and wears the mask of a steely-eyed and hardened CIA agent.

and that, my friends, is why he becomes his own bane. think for a moment. CIA and his underlings enter the plane with doctor pavlova, bane, and the mercs. we're seeing all the events from the eyes of CIA. all we really know is that CIA enters and bane leaves. do we know bane entered? of course not! he wore the bag, and CIA/bane left so many corpses on the plane, it isn't hard for him to imagine he is finally free of his law-keeping vessel, having left it with his brother, a representation of the shedding of his other identity. he embraces the bane of his existence. coupled with the heavy insectile metamorphosis imagery (shedding of the wings, the body of the plane hanging like a cocoon from which bane springs and flys out anew, the blood-sucking and the mosquito man, the body bag being opened like the amniotic sac of an embryo) i think it's fair to say this is entirely canon. He's actually shooting at God, you see, the entire scene is an existential masterpiece detailing mans troubled connection with God in the 21st century (bravo nolan). When the scene opens, CIA, having just acquired prisoners (in this case, the supposed "scientific" knowledge that there is no supreme deity) he boards them on his plane and takes off, assuming the new role as God of his own world (that's why he's in the sky).

However, once he begins questioning these prisoners he becomes distressed that none of them answer, mimicking how man can never be comforted by science in the way he can be comforted by God. When he shoots out of the plane, he does so out of misguided anger, furious that the scientific knowledge he has coveted for so long has not given him the rest or respite he desires. He shoots at no one, and everyone. When he gets to his last piece of evidence, in this case the prophet known as Bane, he speaks back. But instead of offering answers he only causes CIA to question more. "If I took that mask off would you die?" Is in fact CIAs attempt to reason with the unreasonable, "It would be extremely painful" is the response meant to convey the pain of having a scientific worldview crash down around you and be replaced by the knowledge that there is a creator. The famous “Big guy” dialogue was written by Nolan to ensure that the viewer understood the delicate juxtaposition between those who claim to preach truth, and those who are actually enlightened. The scene ends when Bane calls his almighty father down from heaven to crash the plane of the heathen (while saving Dr. Pavel for being a believer, but reminding him that the time for fear, in this case hell, comes later on judgement day.) This scene made me a Christian.

J

Edited by Rubix
Combining double posts