T'Telir, the shining capital of Halladren, and home of The Court of the Gods, where the Returned ruled as deities over their colorful citizens -- and colorless, lifeless armies -- all while deferring to the God King, MiriKas. Living life as a god would be tough, or so you would have people think, but really you just live in a life of lavishness and luxury, with countless servants to attend your every need and desire, and you only require one thing to live. Breath.

The time of living exuberantly is, unfortunately, at an end. A group of infiltrators have managed to gain access to The Court of the Gods, and have subtly managed to get a small group of Returned to join their cause, and to push for war and rebellion against the God King. MiriKas will not tolerate this. You have been ordered to root out the infiltrators and purge the court of all Rebels, at all costs, even if it means your own life.

This will be a standard Quick-Fix Game, with Cycles lasting 24 hours and essentially consisting of both Day and Night. Votes will be made publicly in the thread, and the Rebels will get to chose to make a kill each cycle as well.

Being that this is the Court of the Gods, and you will all be Returned, there is a twist. Each one of you has your Divine Breath, bringing you back to life for your godly purpose. At any point in the game, all players have the option to send in a PM order to give up your life, saving another player that cycle. This will work for the lynch as well as the Rebel kill. Doing so will automatically kill you, even if who you wanted to save didn't die.

There are no roles or other special actions that can be made in this game.

For signing up, I'll need a Returned name from each player, and their choice of two colors. Sign-ups will last a little over a week until about 7AM EST, August 2nd.

Quick Links:

Edited by Alvron

1. Orlok Tsubodai - ??? - Black/Red
  2. Haelbarde - Droll the Spontaneous Maroon/Green
  3. Kipper - Aleck the Smart - Purple/Green
  4. Wyrmhero - Redcross the Healer - Red/White
  5. Venture Mistborn - Ven the Procrastinator - Green/Gold
  6. Phattemer - Heavenpest the Massive - Dark Green/Neon Brown
  7. Shallan - Lynchtarget the Innocent - Gold/White
  8. Bort - Bortholomew the Blind - White/Grey
  9. Adamir - Shar, God of Sacrifice - Red/Gold
  10. Alvron - Brightwater the Keen - Deep Green/Silver
  11. Ser Jerric - Jadebuffer the Eerie - Turquoise and Orange
  12. Lightsworn Panda - Jain the Panda - Black/White
  13. Vauhsoj - Funweaver the Festive - Pink/Yellow
  14. RavenRadiant7 - Ri the Mytsterious - Black/Silver
  15. MetaCognition - Metacognition the Thoughful
  16. Mailliw73 - Braveheart, God of War - Dark Red/Purple
  17. A Smart Guy - Artweave the Painter - Brown/Mint Green
  18. The Only Joe - Sharkbait the Incompetent - Blue/Copper
  19. The Mighty Lopen - Gancho the Crass - Purple/White

Clarifications:

A player giving up their Divine Breath can not be prevented or saved. Once they say the Words (send me the PM), if it's not retracted before the rollover, then they lose their breath.

Rebels WILL have a Doc to communicate in. Gods build  secret tunnels under their palaces all the time. ;)

Edited by Alvron

Let's hope this time I don't get sacrificed on the altar. Stupid Hallendrans expecting their gods to die for them >>.

Redcross the Healer, who in another life became Wyrm, BioChromatic scholar. His main interests are studying BioChroma and attempting to apply its principles to medicine and healing. In particular, he studies the Divine Breath, and wants to emulate it using normal Breaths if he can to advance healing techniques throughout the country. As a god, he governs the principle of healing, and the study of medicine. His colours, perhaps unsurprisingly, shall be red and white.

For people who played LG4: This one's not gonna sacrifice himself to save your sorry hides >>.

Edited by Wyrmhero

I don't understand what the motivation for saving someone is, if there are no other roles.

Of course, I'm likely just not understanding something stupidly simple, so if someone would point it out to me, I would appreciate it.

Gamma, I have a clarificatory question that occurred to me:

You say of the Returned's Divine Breath, "Doing so will automatically kill you, even if who you wanted to save didn't die." Here is this scenario--

A chooses to give his life up to save B. B chooses to give his life up to save A. How would this work out? Would being saved by A negate the auto-kill of B's giving up their life and vice versa?

Do both of them wind up in the Dead Doc feeling utterly ridiculous and ashamed of themselves? :P

Edited by Kasimir

Shar, God of Sacrifice, is signing up. His colors will be red and gold.

The Warrior watches the little people below.

A dozen nations occupy the same world, separated by continuously fluctuating borders. Great towers rise, mountains collapse, alongside and overlapping one another. Centuries pass. Ages. Eternities. The little people in the world he observes are fond of conflict. They collide in armies of both the living and the dead, fighting even when they are empty husks lacking even the Breath of their creator. Conflict is their creator. These are a people crafted by the fires of war, and the Warrior approves.

The Warrior does not think as the little people do. Some gods measure in centuries, others millenia. He remembers a man from a reality he had long since grown bored with, as close to immortality as anyone on his world could reach. A man who measured time in continental drifts. To the Warrior, such measurements pass in moments.

He casts his eye back to the world of conflict. It is amusing how they value lives that are not even worth consideration in the lifespan of even a lesser immortal. But immortals can die, the Higher Gods no exception. Adonalsium, the only coalition of deities in the Warrior's endless memory, had shattered, and with it the minds of the Adonai, left as husks to be gathered by the little people. One of them has split her power a million different ways, the wielder now little more than a vessel for the Intent. The Warrior pities the god who lost his consciousness. Humans are not strong enough to resist the Intent. Only the Entities could have hoped to act of their own free will. He remembers those he lost to Adonalsium. Preservation. Change, now known as Ruin. And Eden, revered by her world as Cultivation, stands above other lost friends in his thoughts.

The world of conflict seems like a good distraction. He makes a decision. The world below is steeply divided by race; he begins by seeking out an avatar. A soldier, sacrificing his freedom and joining the Hallandren Legion to feed his family. Sacrificing his arm to save an ally. Sacrificing his life to hold off the enemy for a few precious seconds for his squadmates. The Warrior has seen what kinds of people Return on this world. But Hasdrubal will never Return. His heart will beat once more, but it will not be an amnesiac soldier who stares through those eyes. It will be a true God.

The Warrior attaches a small pin to the corpse of Hasdrubal Va Saal. Memories, and an inhibitor for his powers. This world would not provide the distraction he craved if he maintained his power and knowledge throughout. When he Returns, the priests will leave the pin in his arm, out of reverence for their creator. He instills a small amount of his Will into the pin; if Hasdrubal tries to remove it, there would be pain to the point of agony.

Everything is prepared. The Warrior wades through the Iridescent Tones.

-

Hasdrubal lurches awake moments from a knife-edge.

"My Lord," the elderly priest stammers, dropping to one knee as he releases the knife that was about to cut out the pin. "You have Returned!"

The Warrior kept an impassive mask, breathing in the rich senses of a human host. "Yes," he finally said. "I have Returned."

"Do you... Do you have a message from the Tones?"

"Yes." He takes a moment to calculate his next decision. A word these people would know, a word to encourage them to be civil towards him. "They gave me my name. Shash."

"Shar?" The priest asks in confusion, tilting an ear. Hard of hearing, this one.

The Warrior is in no mood to correct him. No, he must go and experience the rich sights, scents, sounds and tastes of this world from the perspective he now inhabits...

The thoughts wash away as his memories flow into the pin. Hasdrubal's skin begins to change, turning from white to golden, hair shimmering into a brilliant sheen. For the briefest of moments, light physically radiates from his skin. Then it is over.

Shar glanced around in confusion, wondering where he was.

Edited by Adamir

A man once called Fron, now known as Brightwhisper the Keen, snapped his eyes open, his hands grasping at his throat frantically trying to stem the flow of blood.  Above him a face appeared.  It was framed in golden curls.

"Morning Your Grace.  Did you sleep well?"

"Another night of death and destruction Kira.  If this keeps up I think I'll go insane."

"You can't go insane Your Grace."

"That doesn't mean I can't try."

Getting out of bed, Brightwhisper noticed an army of servants waiting to dress him before he broke his fast.  He allowed them to clothe him in his customary colours of Deep Green and Silver.  Once dressed Brightwhisper lounged on a couch while more servants brought in his morning meal.  Kira was already seated and had her large tome open.

"Shall we begin Your Grace?"

"Very well.  It began with MiriKas' head priest making his proclamation that rebels were trying to overthrow the Court of the Gods and it was our duty to root them out....."

Yes, that's right.  This game has just become my dream!  How does it feel to be nothing more than figments of my imagination? :P

Come now Wyrm.  You failed to sacrifice yourself for me in LG4.  Surely you're not going to let such an opportunity pass you by again.

Edited by Alvron

I'll break my extended absence and join in as Jadebuffer the Eerie in my "resplendent" robes of Turquoise and Orange. May all the Court cringe at my presence!

Feel free to assign me an area of governance in a writeup, if you so desire.

Awesome turnout so far! This will be quite a lively court! Updated the player list (finally) and have added any clarifications. (Dying from giving your Divine Breath up can not be saved by another. Too many chances for chain-breath shenanigans.) And as for why anybody would actually use their Breath? That's a good question, isn't it? In a game where there are no Roles or information to be learned from other than the lynches really, will anybody be certain enough of a person's innocence to put their own life on the line and save them? In this game, there's only one way to verify who and what you are. ;)