• Maybe
    • ???
  2. 2. Does Shallan like Kaladin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • ???

8 hours ago, Tharatariel10 said:

Great post!  Again, agreed that Adolin is awesome.  I loved him from the beginning.  I like what you point out about Adolin killing Sadeas. 

I hope that Adolin and Kaladin become closer in future books.  I feel like their brotherhood/friendship could be really awesome if given time; they can help each other in so many ways.  I like how things played out in WoR, but there's so much more that could be done.  I think the point you make that Kaladin may relate most to Adolin's actions is interesting.  We shall see...

On completely different note, but more to the topic at hand:

I was thinking about what @esamitch said about Kaladin not needing a love interest.  That his character, his journey doesn't seem to be lacking because he doesn't have a lady in his life (all theories of Shaladin aside here.)  My additional thought to support this is: could Kaladin really handle having a romantic love?  I mean his whole complex of saving and protecting others at all costs, and his sense of depression at any failure would be amplified tremendously if he had a love interest.  Goodness, if some recent recruit for Bridge Four dies on the battle field, he feels that he has failed that person.  He has regret, sorrow and all that that implies.  Now imagine he has a romantic interest in someone.  Good lord!  He'd go nuts!  He would have to protect her at all cost and any possibility of her being in danger and him not being able to help or protect her would eat away at him.  

Now consider Shallan.  The very hint that Adolin ever betrays of wanting to protect her and keep her safe and she freaks out.  She is paranoid of the idea that someone will lock her away, even if it is to protect her.  Now, arguably, Kaladin may relate to her desire for freedom - I think someone mentioned that in this thread.  But if he loved her, truly, his first instinct would be to protect her.  Soooo, I can foresee a terrible combination here.  Not only would Kaladin having a deep, love-interest be challenging, but that love-interest being Shallan would be even harder, and the likelihood of Shallan returning this love and accepting his need to protect her is even MORE of a stretch.

Just my thoughts...

Of course Adolin awesome -_- He wouldn't be one of the fastest ramping up character in terms of popularity is he wasn't -_-

A lot of people want the friendship relationship to be further explored going into the next book as it must have been one of the most pleasant surprise WoR had for the readers. Unfortunately, it also seems to be incompatible with the foreseen love triangle so I guess we are going to have to wait and read. 

I also agree Kaladin is not a character which has been defined through a need to have a romantic partner. In fact, I'd hazard the idea of Kaladin with a spouse almost is implausible as I just cannot picture him being able to commit to another human being who's needs will be other than "protection". How is he even going to mix up his need to spend his every waking hour protecting his men with his wife's need for him to actually be home, once in a while? The only spouse I could see Kaladin ever engage with would be the one who'd share his every day duty with him, one who would follow him and one who wouldn't have duties of her own others than supporting him in his tasks. Shallan just isn't this person as she has made it rather clear she would not compromise her independence for anyone. She will never be the "waiting at home" or "trailing behind" type of wife which I have a hard time finding compatible with Kaladin.

However, come to think of it, it's pretty incompatible with Adolin who, as the next Highprince, will have a life fulfill with duties and duties and more boring duties. Storm that kid is going to hate being a Highprince.

It could Shallan is just not capable of compromising enough to be a wife but it is obvious she'll need a husband who can compromise on his own.

For the rest, I have once made the argument how Kaladin's attribute would not go down well with Shallan's fear of being locked down. If you read the conversation, though, you'll see most people disagreed with me, most thinking Kaladin is the more apt to find the right balance in between protecting and locking in. I tend to disagree, but this isn't an argument I have been able to win in the past. I tend to think Adolin's desire to please is probably going to make him compromise a lot, on his side, to accommodate Shallan, but it then opens the door to abuse. Can Adolin find his place within a relationship with a woman who doesn't want him close by or will he just end up completely forgetting himself, doing everything she wants out of love? It is why I keep saying Adolin needs someone who'll love him and who'll put him first, because he won't and as we saw in the books, nobody else does. 

7 hours ago, goody153 said:

I thought it was quite obvious that they like each other and the only opposite part i noticed was that they were opposites in the radiant orders but damnation  this is so detailed.

Now this is quite interesting but i still think that Kaladin would pull a Dalinar to Navani  with Shallan which is give way to Adolin even when their attraction intensifies. Also it doesn't help that Kaladin killed shallan's brother

I'm honestly more interested to see if what happens if Kaladin meets(brings ) Laral to Urithru if ever they meet again in book 3 assuming she is alive and Roshone is dead(hopefully) also doesn't matter if she has a child with the old scum.

Tarah to me seems like Kaladin's like past lover that there is nothing to comeback but rather just good memories while Laral is the "what if" of his life if his life didn't lead to Shattered plains.

Idk Shallan pretty much ignored Adolin's presence in thought of Kaladin (that part where she was completely lost in thought comparing them and Adolin was saying something) but yeah as of now she likes Adolin more. And i doubt Kaladin would actually do rust given the opportunity nor would Shallan pick him over Adolin even if she will come to love Kaladin later on because simply both will be bound by duty (Kaladin with the Honor thing and not stealing his boss girl , also shallan being already arranged and deeply involved with Adolin)

This is a discussion we have had several times over. Basically, it goes down to who you personally prefer in between Adolin and Kaladin. Those who prefer Kaladin will insist this passage indicates a smoldering passion only waiting to explode while those who prefer Adolin will argue having thoughts once and comparing young men by no way indicates romantic feelings either real or in the making. Therefore, depending on which character readers actually prefer, they will make the argument one way or another.

However, since many love to bring this bout around, how about this other one, the one featuring Shallan's reaction when she sees both Adolin and Kaladin, after the fight, towards the end of WoR? Unfortunately, since I have used my book to decorate my cubicle, I am unable to quote, but it went more or less as follows... Shallan is very concentrated on trying to open the Oathgate, but when she sees injured Adolin leaning on a bridgeman to walk, she drops everything, all thoughts exiting her mind only to rush towards him and hug him. Later, when Shallan sees Kaladin flying in, she is merely relieved it wasn't the Assassin in White, no feeling whatsoever were expressed. The fact he was alive and physically intact did not cross her mind, but when it was Adolin, she did care.

I'd say, I could make the argument that while thoughts can be misleading and one can rationally lie to itself, instinct and natural responses hardly ever lie. So there. I am quite sure someone will come forward with a counter-argument here.

As for opposite attracts based on Kaladin and Shallan's attitude to the weather, I'd say this argument can be used both ways. Many people love to point out Kaladin and Shallan are opposite and would thus be attracted one to another, but then again, what are Shallan and Adolin is not opposite a well? Kaladin and Shallan may be darkeyed and lighteyed, but they are both broken, they are both Radiants, they both enjoy witty remarks, they both think themselves quite smart, they both are "scholarly" inclined (not exactly true in the case of Kaladin, but it is usually listed as a reason why Shallan would prefer Kaladin), they are both independent and I could go on. On the reverse, Shallan and Adolin may be from close social classes, but Adolin is not a Radiant, he isn't broken, he isn't smart enough, he doesn't understand word play, he is everything but independent (he wants to keep his family close to him), he thinks himself dumb and I could go on. Therefore, listing they are "opposite" as a reason why Shallan and Kaladin would be a better ship is misleading. This argument could be used both ways, o if it works for one ship, it has to work for the other.

For my part, I tend to think Shallan will end up with the one person with whom she clicks the most, with whom she fits the most and this independently of additional factor such as "Radiant", "broken" and "weather". Unions are like two pieces of a puzzle: on one piece, there may be a river and on the other, there may be a forest or maybe both pieces are a river, but what matters is when you put them together, they make a nice scenery both partners would be happy to grow into.

14 hours ago, maxal said:

A lot of people want the friendship relationship to be further explored going into the next book as it must have been one of the most pleasant surprise WoR had for the readers. Unfortunately, it also seems to be incompatible with the foreseen love triangle so I guess we are going to have to wait and read. 

I'm not sure they are incompatible. I haven't seen that actual WoB, but wasn't it supposed to be an unusual love triangle? I could just picture those two becoming and staying friends while liking the same woman, each willing to pull back should she choose the other... or even pulling back because of a conviction that the other is better for her. In that case, my money would be on Kaladin leaving her to Adolin. The groundworks are already laid that way, and I for one would really enjoy watching this play out.

One thing I love about Brandons's books is that they don't always contain the maximum of intrigue and improper entanglement that a certain setting might provide...

Mistborn Era 1 and 2 Spoilers

Spoiler

Kelsier and Vin, Steris and Marasi

In both cases I hoped: Please, don't let this go the dirty way - and my wishes were fulfilled. Cheers!!

Edited by Erklitt

So, obviously spoilers....

To an extent.  I'm not sure that Kaladin can ever really allow himself to fall in love, and Shallan is pretty smitten with Adolin.   

But....  The time they spent in the chasm together allowed both characters to grow, prejudices and presumtions fell by the wayside.  At this point there is a level of attraction between the two characters, whether or not it's ever acted upon is another story.  And it could go either way.  

Adolin is now a murderer, which will certainly complicate things, and could drive him away from everyone.  

Kaladin killed Heleran, which even if it was in defense and/or honorable, will certainly complicate things. 

I will say, a love triangle would be pretty good for character conflict purposes.

Edited by Massik
grammatical errors

2 hours ago, Massik said:

Adolin is now a murderer, which will certainly complicate things, and could drive him away from everyone.  

Kaladin killed Heleran, which even if it was in defense and/or honorable, will certainly complicate things. 

Don't forget, though: Shallan is thrice a murderer (even not counting the situation with Tyn). She shouldn't really judge him too harshly, though I don't know if she'll actually be so kind since she has such a history of lying to herself and others.

I liked your point about Kaladin not allowing himself to love, btw. Goes well with his martyr complex.

jW

19 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Don't forget, though: Shallan is thrice a murderer (even not counting the situation with Tyn). She shouldn't really judge him too harshly, though I don't know if she'll actually be so kind since she has such a history of lying to herself and others.

I liked your point about Kaladin not allowing himself to love, btw. Goes well with his martyr complex.

jW

This is true.  But Adolin doesn't know this, and it says nothing of how Alethi society would view Adolin.  

I don't mean that Shallan will hate him over it, moreso that he may be shunned/disowned by his people.  Or it could conflict him internally, causing him to leave, or even change his temperament, driving her away.

This could lead to an opening for her to develop feelings for Kaladin in Adolin's potential physical/mental/emotional absence.  

This would be the perfect set up for the love triangle conflict I was mentioning.  Say, if she started falling for Kal, and Adolin returns, or Veil runs across Adolin, somewhere in the underbelly.  

Of course, Adolin may well win out in that scenario, when/if she finds out about Heleran.  

Conflict.  Great stuff.

edit to add:  Kal may find himself there, eventually.  But only with a lot more personal growth.   

Edited by Massik

On the subject of Kaladin backing away due to his martyr syndrome, I perhaps have a different perspective. Kaladin perhaps have a tendency to victimize himself, thinking the whole world is out to get to him, but he never backed away from something he wanted. Always, he voiced his thoughts, no matter who he was talking to, making his demands and not taking no for an answer. Would this man truly leave Shallan providing he comes to admit he may love, love her? I am not so sure...

From my perspective, Adolin is more likely to step away and leave Kaladin all the room than the opposite. Why? Because he is the one with self-confidence issues and, more importantly, he is the one who has been unconsciously sabotaging all his relationships for fear of not being "good enough". Therefore, if someone he running away from this relationship, it is Adolin. He has yet to begin trying to deal with his issues here.

As for Helaran, quite seriously, if Kaladin and Shallan does not work out, it will not be because of Helaran. 

8 hours ago, Jondesu said:

[snip]

I can hear Shallan now:

"No one murders my family except for me!"

On 7/12/2016 at 7:39 PM, maxal said:

I also agree Kaladin is not a character which has been defined through a need to have a romantic partner. In fact, I'd hazard the idea of Kaladin with a spouse almost is implausible as I just cannot picture him being able to commit to another human being who's needs will be other than "protection". How is he even going to mix up his need to spend his every waking hour protecting his men with his wife's need for him to actually be home, once in a while? The only spouse I could see Kaladin ever engage with would be the one who'd share his every day duty with him, one who would follow him and one who wouldn't have duties of her own others than supporting him in his tasks. Shallan just isn't this person as she has made it rather clear she would not compromise her independence for anyone. She will never be the "waiting at home" or "trailing behind" type of wife which I have a hard time finding compatible with Kaladin.

Well said! And even if Kaladin had a wife or a love-interest who shared his every day duty, I mean, could he even handle that?  I go back to the bridgemen. They are with Kaladin all the time, they share the most in his life (particularly Teft and Rock) and Kaladin still has qualms about them being where he cannot be, where he cannot protect them.  When one dies, he takes full responsibility.  So, regardless of a woman saying: "I want to stand by you, fight with you, fight for you, my life is mine to lose if it happens..." I think it would be too much for Kaladin.  If anything were to happen to her (whoever she may be) he would never forgive himself and it might just break him.  And, come on, doesn't Kaladin have enough to deal with??  

Add all that to the good points you made about him unable to give more than protection (and some witty humor...and boots, if so demanded ;-) ) and I feel like we have made every argument under the sun why Kaladin may not be the Romeo of this story!

***I would like to point out that I am still in the camp of those who claim that Kaladin likes Shallan ...to a degree.  I stand by my previous argument that this attraction may or may not be full on romantic, most likely it will turn out not to be, but that there is something there on his side.  I would also like to add that I absolutely love love love Kaladin.  He is definitely my top character and will always be the main character in my eyes, even if he shares the story with other people.  Just my take.  So just because I don't think he will necessarily end up in a romance does not in anyway mean that I think he doesn't deserve happiness or fulfillment.  Just maybe not in that way... Whew! Just wanted to put that out there.  I feel like my comments have seemed suspiciously anti-Kaladin. o.O***

For the rest, I have once made the argument how Kaladin's attribute would not go down well with Shallan's fear of being locked down. If you read the conversation, though, you'll see most people disagreed with me, most thinking Kaladin is the more apt to find the right balance in between protecting and locking in. I tend to disagree, but this isn't an argument I have been able to win in the past. I tend to think Adolin's desire to please is probably going to make him compromise a lot, on his side, to accommodate Shallan, but it then opens the door to abuse. Can Adolin find his place within a relationship with a woman who doesn't want him close by or will he just end up completely forgetting himself, doing everything she wants out of love? It is why I keep saying Adolin needs someone who'll love him and who'll put him first, because he won't and as we saw in the books, nobody else does. 

Interesting that you have not won that argument.  I would add that if there's one thing Kaladin has maintained throughout the books it's his guilt/responsibility complex.  He is still fighting with the idea of "caring, but not too much."  He can't seem to find the balance.  Although he's learned much in the first two books of SA, that has remained.  So, while he may at one point find a balance, if he does, it's going to be a while; that change will come slowly.  So, I think it's a fair argument to say that he will always struggle with this to some degree.  At what point does this allow for him to have a successful romance?  Especially with someone who values independence as much as Shallan?

For my part, I tend to think Shallan will end up with the one person with whom she clicks the most, with whom she fits the most and this independently of additional factor such as "Radiant", "broken" and "weather". Unions are like two pieces of a puzzle: on one piece, there may be a river and on the other, there may be a forest or maybe both pieces are a river, but what matters is when you put them together, they make a nice scenery both partners would be happy to grow into.

Agreed!

10 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

I can hear Shallan now:

"No one murders my family except for me!"

Or, probably:

Shallan (angry): "No on murders my family!"
Pattern: "Hmmm...lies, how delicious...hmm"
Shallan: "Fine. (disgusted snort) No one murders my family except for me"

I'll add that in rereading the particular moment people have quoted about Kaladin seeing Shallan as the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen: Brandon chose to word it as "It was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen." It, as in the smile, or I think the act of smiling through the pain, rather than Shallan herself. It's the moment when he stops seeing her as a frivolous lighteyes, sure. I don't think it's a moment of discovering a romantic attraction, however.

jW

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

I'll add that in rereading the particular moment people have quoted about Kaladin seeing Shallan as the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen: Brandon chose to word it as "It was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen." It, as in the smile, or I think the act of smiling through the pain, rather than Shallan herself. It's the moment when he stops seeing her as a frivolous lighteyes, sure. I don't think it's a moment of discovering a romantic attraction, however.

jW

There's a moment later which clearly shows Kaladin's attracted to Shallan. It's when he goes to see the army leaving and if I recall correctly he specifically describes her as being gorgeous and also says he may hate the fact Adolin and Shallan make a good couple.

7 minutes ago, geralt said:

There's a moment later which clearly shows Kaladin's attracted to Shallan. It's when he goes to see the army leaving and if I recall correctly he specifically describes her as being gorgeous and also says he may hate the fact Adolin and Shallan make a good couple.

I had to go look up that passage to confirm how it's worded:

She looked gorgeous. Kaladin was willing to admit it, if only to himself. Brilliant red hair, ready smile. She said something clever; Kaladin could almost hear the words. He waited, hoping that she’d look toward him, meet his eyes across the short distance.
She didn’t. She rode on, and Kaladin felt like an utter fool. A part of him wanted to hate Adolin for holding her attention, but he found that he couldn’t. The truth was, he liked Adolin. And those two were good for one another. They fit.
Perhaps Kaladin could hate that. 

Yeah, I agree, there's something there, but I think it's less romantic attraction and just… jealousy of a sort.  He thinks she's pretty, sure, but I think it's more of a wish for something like that for himself.  That's just my personal take on that, of course, though, not supported by anything in the text specifically, so you could take it another way equally reasonably.

jW

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

I had to go look up that passage to confirm how it's worded:

Yeah, I agree, there's something there, but I think it's less romantic attraction and just… jealousy of a sort.  He thinks she's pretty, sure, but I think it's more of a wish for something like that for himself.  That's just my personal take on that, of course, though, not supported by anything in the text specifically, so you could take it another way equally reasonably.

jW

That could be it, but I personally don't agree with that interpretation because I feel, to Kaladin, life just consists of protecting others since Tien's death. I'd go as far as to say that his brother's death broke him so much, he lost all capacity to actually derive enjoyment from anything other than his duty, which is why I doubt he'd be wishing for that kind of relationship.

5 hours ago, geralt said:

Oh, I would bet it's not a conscious desire. And I don't think he actually wants a relationship. He's just...annoyed that they can be so happy and he can't, while still not really wanting to be happy, in a way. I've been in his shoes the way I read it, so that's why I read it that way I'm sure.

jW

On 7/15/2016 at 2:36 AM, Jondesu said:

Oh, I would bet it's not a conscious desire. And I don't think he actually wants a relationship. He's just...annoyed that they can be so happy and he can't, while still not really wanting to be happy, in a way. I've been in his shoes the way I read it, so that's why I read it that way I'm sure.

I read Kaladin acknowledging some burgeoning feelings for Shallan, but that while he longed for happiness like theirs, he didn't feel jealous. In the passage, he hopes that Shallan will catch his eye or acknowledge him and he's crestfallen when she doesn't: he very much wants to be part of Shallan's world, though ultimately he doesn't expect anything from her. Kaladin thinks that maybe he "should" resent Shadolin, but discovers he is more mature than that; instead, he is sincerely glad they make each other happy. He thinks maybe he could hate the way they "fit": maybe a callback to their diabetes-inducing date at the zoo? :P I definitely didn't infer that Kaladin bore them any serious ill-will. 

As for Kaladin versus Adolin, well, it makes sense that there are similarities and contrasts within the power trio, and we can probably expect a lot of character development for all three later in the story. As far as love triangles go, they're a trope because they're super common. (I seem to recall med school as some sort of Lovecraftian four-dimensional polyhedron.) Direct conflict is far from the only way to resolve them, since people and circumstances tend to change.

If there's going to be a big romance down the line, my money is currently on Shallan and Kaladin, for the following reasons:

• There's mutual physical attraction which is pretty heavily signposted (also applies to Shadolin of course)
  • The whole unstable "opposites attract" schtick doesn't really apply. Despite the initial altercation, they find they're actually driven by the same things, but take contrasting approaches.
  • As new-minted Radiants, they're facing similar challenges in the war to come. Honorspren and Cryptics have been set up as polar opposites, but actually Syl is just kind of wrong about Cryptics. They doesn't love deception for its own sake, they love discovering truth, and lies, and the relationship between the two. The quest for truth is what makes Pattern such a useful spren for a scholar and sleuth. The big difference is in the interpretation of "journey before destination" regarding lies/subterfuge; I don't consider that ideological difference a shipsinker all by itself.
  • A huge part of Shallan's character is her scholarly enthusiasm. Adolin's a smart guy, but struggles to keep up with Shallan intellectually. Kaladin impressed Shallan and is one of the few people we see challenge her. Doesn't have to be romantic but points to a strong future relationship.
  • Tien/Shallan's jokes raise Kaladin from his depression, while Shallan draws strength from cheering up her brothers/Kaladin. This also doesn't have to point to romance, but they're fulfilling each other's emotional needs in a complementary way. Shallan/Adolin doesn't have a clear equivalent that I can think of.
  • Meta-reason 1: we've been handed a big potential source of conflict between these two, but it's been deferred to a later book. Shallan's musing on Amaram seems to suggest that she'll understand Kaladin's killing of Helleran though obviously it's gonna be pretty awkward...
  • Meta-reason 2: the chasm interactions are pretty crucial to their respective character arcs. Shallan finally admits to her demons out loud, reveals her Shardblade and as a bonus discovers Kaladin's noble reasons for being a mope; Kaladin sees Shallan's strength, accepts that lighteyes also hurt, and (most importantly) realises that joy is possible even for someone very broken.
  • Meta-reason 3 from Oathbringer excerpt: 
    Spoiler

This is very speculative and may be way off, but in the Kaladin excerpt, we see Syl acting... different. She swaps her dress for a havah with a covered safe-hand, gets distracted by the wildlife, and I'm pretty sure she borrows a few of Shallan's lines too. I'm not deep enough in the lore to understand spren yet, but could Shallan have influenced Syl's manifestation?

Huh. This rambled...

Oathbringer Kaladin (Chapter 1) Excerpt:

Spoiler

Keep in mind this is her first time (that she remembers) away from the shattered plains. Lot's to be curious about. The dress is interesting, but she would have seen women dresses up all the time, especially after Kaladin started guarding the Kholin family, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Also, her awareness seemed to drop considerably when Kaladin almost lost her, so she may have in-effect missed out on the times with Shallan. Though she may be mimicking Shallan without even realizing it. Pattern would love to know that tidbit if it was true....

Edited by Argel

5 hours ago, Argel said:

Oathbringer Kaladin (Chapter 1) Excerpt:

Hide contents

Keep in mind this is her first time (that she remembers) away from the shattered plains. Lot's to be curious about. The dress is interesting, but she would have seen women dresses up all the time, especially after Kaladin started guarding the Kholin family, so I wouldn't read too much into it. Also, her awareness seemed to drop considerably when Kaladin almost lost her, so she may have in-effect missed out on the times with Shallan. Though she may be mimicking Shallan without even realizing it. Pattern would love to know that tidbit if it was true....

This is true, especially about Syl's memory. If she's always been a nature lover, she didn't seem to find the woods or chasms all that fascinating in WoK (not that I'd expect any character to geek out quite to Shallan levels...) You could be very right about the novelty, I'm looking forward to RAFOing.

5 hours ago, djammmer said:

I definitely feel this is leading into a Korean-Drama level love triangle.

It's probably a good thing they're all heading in different directions next time out. Hopefully Shallan will clear the air with Adolin before she goes hunting Ghostbloods - felt so sorry for the poor guy when Shallan lost it.

• 2 years later...
On August 7, 2015 at 0:46 PM, The Honor Spren said:

I pretty much agree with Seloun and Patrick Star.

They do like each other and they seem perfect for each other. But Shallan likes Adolin more, and there's also the whole Kaladin-Killing-Helaren thing.

Patrick, I'm not so sure that the light eye discrimination will be a thing anymore. Kaladin is rapidly becoming one of them.

But wouldn't Shallan forgiving Kaladin for killing Helaren be a mile-stone that could possibly deepen their relationship? 

@Wit4EVRJust to let you know, check the date on a thread before commenting. Try not to necro a thread, its just an etiquette thing, not that I am not guilty of it too. 

28 minutes ago, Wit4EVR said:

But wouldn't Shallan forgiving Kaladin for killing Helaren be a mile-stone that could possibly deepen their relationship? 

Also, this has been resolved in Oathbringer. Just to let you know. Welcome to the Shard.

22 hours ago, Gasper said:

Just to let you know, check the date on a thread before commenting. Try not to necro a thread, its just an etiquette thing, not that I am not guilty of it too. 

Is this really a thing? I was so happy to see this thread because I had never seen it before and it is a subject I always find interesting. Plus, like you said @Gasper we can discuss this with the new information from Oathbringer. :)

I was very entertained by all the predictions that came so close.

23 hours ago, Wit4EVR said:

I would think so, but we have yet to see this happen. Shallan is in deep denial. We have to wait until book 4 to see where their relationship is going. :)

1 hour ago, wotbibliophile said:

I would think so, but we have yet to see this happen. Shallan is in deep denial. We have to wait until book 4 to see where their relationship is going. :)

I'm sorry, but it isn't. 

vanahian

And for a friend of mine and her sanity... The Shalladin thing will be something or is all in her head? Stop her pain please :D.

Brandon Sanderson

Shallan has made her choice. I wouldn't expect that to change.

vanahian

And thanks for the answer in 11. My friend is crying but now she can go ahead with her life :)

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah...I do feel bad about that. If it's any comfort, tell her I think she'll eventually be very pleased it went this way. It might take a few more books, though.

source

@Calderis I haven't seen that before. Thanks. I thought probably Sanderson meant to conclude that story line. I still think it was quite bad. But I expect Shallan and Kaladin to interact and forgiveness will deepen their relationship. I don't think Shallan has forgiven Kaladin for killing Helaren. That is why I said she is in deep denial. Maybe I am wrong.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:28 PM, wotbibliophile said:

Is this really a thing? I was so happy to see this thread because I had never seen it before and it is a subject I always find interesting. Plus, like you said @Gasper we can discuss this with the new information from Oathbringer. :)

It is a thing, and it's not just an etiquette thing - it's actually against the site rules.  HOWEVER, it's only necroing if you're not adding anything of value to the topic (e.g. adding the 16th "I want Shallan to end up with Kaladin" to a 4 year old thread).  If you want to discuss something and you find the perfect thread, by all means, revive it rather than start a new, duplicate thread.  

On that same note, don't bring back topics that have been dead forever. This is called thread necromancy (or simply "necroing"). If after a long time you post something new in a topic--one whose discussion has long since ended--that would be thread necroing. We're going to be more lenient about this on the Brandon Sanderson forums, because if you have something to add in the "Mistborn Movie Casting" topic and there hasn't been a post there in a great while, why shouldn't you? You're adding something to the discussion, that's fantastic! A lot of the Books forums will have theory threads, and if you have something to add to them which just perfectly fits the topic, better to revive a dead thread, right?

Thread necroing is only bad in a case like this: let's say Mi'chelle and Josh post in General Discussion saying "We're married!" in a few months. Members will congratulate them, but what you don't want to do is post three months later a congratulation. The sentiment's nice, but at the same time, the news is outdated. Your post is itself outdated, which means it didn't really need to be said. It was superfluous and there was no need for you to post it. Does that make sense? That's why most forums hate thread necromancy, because it's superfluous posting. Essentially, spamming.

• Chaos locked this topic