• ???
  2. 2. Does Shallan like Kaladin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • ???

I would hate them being a couple.

I love Kal and I like Shalan and Adolin but I think they will be together

And Kal I think wants them to be a couple too.

I think Brandon just enjoys character conflict, Kal and Adolin have just started being friends I can't imagine Kal trying to steal his girl or Shallan suddenly deciding to opt out of a very beneficial marriage after everything that's happened.

He settled back down on a rock, bowing his head. The bridgemen crowded in around him. Hopefully they hadn’t seen Kaladin following Shallan with his eyes, straining to hear her voice. Renarin stood, like a shade, at the back of the group. The bridgemen were coming to accept him, but he still seemed very awkward around them. Of course, he seemed awkward around most people.

Here's a different quote that shows that Kaladin, at least, likes Shallan. It was mentioned earlier in the thread but not for this part. (emphasis mine)

She looked gorgeous. Kaladin was willing to admit it, if only to himself. Brilliant red hair, ready smile. She said something clever; Kaladin could almost hear the words. He waited, hoping that she’d look toward him, meet his eyes across the short distance.

She didn’t. She rode on, and Kaladin felt like an utter fool. A part of him wanted to hate Adolin for holding her attention, but he found that he couldn’t. The truth was, he liked Adolin. And those two were good for one another. They fit.

He grinned, Shardplate helm hanging from his saddle so as to not mess up his hair. She waited for him to add a quip to hers, but he didn’t.

That was all right. She liked Adolin as he was. He was kind, noble, and genuine. It didn’t matter that he wasn’t brilliant or . . . or whatever else Kaladin was. She couldn’t even define it. So there.
Passionate, with an intense, smoldering resolve. A leashed anger that he used, because he had dominated it. And a certain tempting arrogance. Not the haughty pride of a highlord. Instead, the secure, stable sense of determination that whispered that no matter who you were—or what you did—you could not hurt him. Could not change him.
He was. Like the wind and rocks were.

I'd say that they are both a like and respect each other and are maybe a little infatuated with each other, they have something in common with their troubled past and they view each other with a little awe and curiosity, Kal sees her as strong and doing what needs to be done and how her spirit was not broken by what happened to her and she sees all that Kal has suffered and sees how it shaped him into the man he is. I don't think it's love but they both see themselves as broken and are a little fascinated by the other who they do not think of as broken... I'd say this could go either way but i'd be lying. Kal wouldn't go after Adolins girl and Shallan wouldn't jeopardize a beneficial marriage alliance.

I doubt either of them would really 

I'd say that they are both a like and respect each other and are maybe a little infatuated with each other, they have something in common with their troubled past and they view each other with a little awe and curiosity, Kal sees her as strong and doing what needs to be done and how her spirit was not broken by what happened to her and she sees all that Kal has suffered and sees how it shaped him into the man he is. I don't think it's love but they both see themselves as broken and are a little fascinated by the other who they do not think of as broken... I'd say this could go either way but i'd be lying. Kal wouldn't go after Adolins girl and Shallan wouldn't jeopardize a beneficial marriage alliance.

I doubt either of them would really

To me it seems like something out of a highschool drama. She thinks she suppose to be with the handsome football star, but cant help noticing the guy she doesnt think she should be with. Not exactly 1 for 1, but its very similar. Honestly, I would rather Kal finds someone new (as in another female Radiant, or a nice darkeyes girl. Or kaybe a respectful, caring lighteyes((farfetched, I know). Adolin and Shallan make a pretty darn good couple, I think.

Considering their ages, they are likely to be attracted to more than one person in the entire series

I agree!! +1

To me it seems like something out of a highschool drama. She thinks she suppose to be with the handsome football star, but cant help noticing the guy she doesnt think she should be with. Not exactly 1 for 1, but its very similar. Honestly, I would rather Kal finds someone new (as in another female Radiant, or a nice darkeyes girl. Or kaybe a respectful, caring lighteyes((farfetched, I know). Adolin and Shallan make a pretty darn good couple, I think.

I don't want them as a couple but I think they should be more than strangers and that's what Brandon's doing. Giving them individual links and deepening the relationships between characters. I totally get the bonding thing between them though.

Given their damaged pasts and down in the chasms opening up to each other and being honest about themselves.

They all need more than just fighting the same war to bind them together, they need individual relationships between characters.

When Shallan finds out about Amarams disgrace and Dalinar casually mentions what he did to Kal and his/Helarans Shardblade

There will be a conflict in her regarding the Kal she new in the chasms and the one who killed her brother.

WoR Spoilers

I think that from what was thought and said during their time in the chasms, they developed some fondness for one another after learning how similar their stories are. However, I feel that Shallan explained pretty well afterward (to herself and the reader) that she would rather be with Adolin. If Adolin were not there to dwarf it, I could see Kaladin being Shallan's main romantic interest.

Now Kaladin, on the other hand, did show fondness for Shallan as well, but from his statements, (eg. that he would never fall in love with a Lighteyed woman,) it is likely that he is not actually in love with her romantically, but feels that they are related by experience. His aversion to Lighteyed girls could be based off his general dislike for Lighteyes or his previous romantic encounters, (Tarah, Laral), Tarah being the Darkeyes he met during his time in Amaram's army and Laral being his childhood friend turned Brightlady. 

In my opinion, he does like Shallan, but not romantically, or is at least happy to let her be with Adolin, he mentions at some point after getting out of the chasm that he liked Adolin, and thought they were a good match for one another.

I am not sure of how their opinions of each other have changed since they both got their Suddenly Radiant powers.

I am interested on how this will effect his aversion to Lighteyed Women, as we do not have enough information to determine the reason for it, but I can imagine he will be torn about his new Light Eyes. 

Wow, that got a little convoluted. I'll just summarize it.

Kaladin and Shallan like each other but are fine with ShallanxAdolin. 

Oh, and I just thought of some ship names, they've probably already been thought up but #Shadolan, #Shalladin, #Dalinavani, #JasnahKhohoid

Edited by DemonicSquid

Textually they are demonstrably sexually/physically attracted to each other and both outright state this. This is different from falling in love. I have been physically attracted to people that I have no romantic or sexual inclination towards and it certainly does not stop people from becoming friends, after which it is likely that any attraction becomes background or even fades with fraternal feelings replacing them

I didn't answer the poll question because I don't think there's a good one-word answer for it. I think that there is an attraction between them after their experience in the chasms, and I do think that will develop into something over the course of the story. I don't necessarily think that they'll have a relationship, and there are a lot of reasons that a relationship between them would be a bad thing.

I think what is interesting about the attraction is that it is kind of a unique situation in their society. The disparity between lighteyes and darkeyes is a really monstrous thing, and it has shaped Kaladin's perception to the point that he can't even see Shallan--or any lighteyed woman--as attractive. It's important to his character development for him to have an experience where he begins to see lighteyes as fellow human beings. This is also an important situation for Shallan's character. She and Adolin do seem like a fairly good match, but, really, she always expected to be married off to a convenient noble as a political play. Their whole experience in the chasms--shared experience leading to people realizing an affinity for one another--is not something that really happens for two people of the opposite sex in their society (and certainly not between a darkeyes and a lighteyes).

By interacting with each other outside of the rigid social rules dictated by their society (which, to be fair, the two of them flaunt pretty regularly anyhow), they shared an experience that would be a fairly common way for two people to form an attraction in our society. But that doesn't really happen at all to Alethi people. It's not so odd that they would feel an attraction to each other.

I think that is a plot point that will be most interesting if it doesn't lead to any kind of romantic interaction between them. It would be useful for Kaladin's character to examine the attraction he feels to Shallan and help him get over his bias against lighteyes. It would be useful for Shallan to examine her attraction and think about how she really feels about her betrothal to Adolin. They might end up being very good for each other. However, at the moment, the fact is that Shallan and Adolin are both just thrilled to discover that they are attracted to the partner that was arranged for them (something that could very easily not be the case at all). Yes, they genuinely enjoy each other's company, but I really think that they're most infatuated with idea of an arranged marriage actually working out. It would be a good thing for Shallan to base her romantic life around what she wants, not relief that her partner isn't terrible. I think an interest in Kaladin could facilitate that.

Edited by DSC01

Hmmmm this is going to sound unbelievably strange as everyone knows I absolutely love the Adolin/Shallan ship (they are adorable), but I have to admit my own relationship didn't quite started up as theirs...

I asked my dear loved one what his first impression of me were...  :ph34r: He used the words insufferable, annoying and noisy (though he specifically says he didn't hate me)  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: while I thought he was boring and soporific  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: We fortunately bonded one faithful evening, watching dumb cartoons intro themes and laughing about them, while waiting for our common friends to walk out of their exam.

So huh, I'd say long-term relationships can start between two people who didn't automatically like each other upon first glance, but I'd also say there is nothing but a good laugh to help people move closer to each other.

Lol ironically enough what you describe sounds a lot like what is happening between Wax and Steris. That there isn't an immediate passion or appearance of common interests, but over time they grow close and find common ground. 

Lol ironically enough what you describe sounds a lot like what is happening between Wax and Steris. That there isn't an immediate passion or appearance of common interests, but over time they grow close and find common ground. 

I posted how my guy and I ended dating due to the magic intervention of Super Pink into the Relationships topics in the General Discussion  :lol: I think Wax and Steris would be a valid comparison  -_-

i am not exactly for just Adolin/Shallan or Shalladin. (though i like Shaladin more)

Here's my thing(THough, i didn't read the entire thread so someone might have already said this):

Adolin/Shallan:

Shallan does, obviously, love him(I mean, she thought about what their kid's hair might look like when hshe first met him). And Adolin loves her, though i can't tell if, perhaps, he's done this for every other girl, or maybe It's he likes her because he feels he can hang onto her longer than others, because she's different.(sorry if i am really bad at wording this, but i can't help it)

Shalladin:

Chasms. You've already said lots of what happened there, and i think their relationship will build from that shared experience. I mean, Shallan did something for Kaladin, that only Tien could do. She cheered him up, made him laugh and that such. Kaladin has been missing out on love almost his entire life, and now He's finally able to see what he misses out on. Shallan, i think, likes him, but Adolin is still there, which will probably make it hard for her to get to Kaladin. I think that it would be good for Kaladin to be with Shallan. Shallan could cheer him up, and perhaps could help him get over Tien(though He will stay in good memory)and Kaladin and Shallan could, perhaps, study their surgebinding abilities together.

I'm more for Shalladin than Shadolin, but I think I'd be fine with either(Because either way, i believe Shallan will be happy)

(This is my first theory I've posted on the 17th shard, but it's one i've been working on, so i think i could counter anything you might bring up, therefore making it solid. (but remember, It's YOUR belief))

Here are some of the problems with Kaladin and Shallan getting together:

Kaladin hates the Weeping sooooooooo much, while Shallan loves it. I don't think that's just a superficial thing; rather, it seems to be a reflection of something in each of their personalities that is fundamentally opposite to the other's. And I don't think this is something that is an opposites attract/they'll complement each other kind of thing. I think it will have them butting heads constantly. 

Also, Syl really dislikes Cryptics. It's not just a matter of simple prejudice: Cryptics and Honorspren approach the world from opposing points of view. We haven't seen what Pattern thinks of Syl yet (from the way he's been acting, I'd bet that he doesn't even remember Honorspren), but I don't think he would have a very high opinion of her. I imagine that he would think that Honorspren's straightforward dedication to honesty is boring and beneath notice. That kind of dismissiveness would really fuel the feud between the spren, and that feud would be terrible for a relationship between Kaladin and Shallan. Remember, during their cute scenes in the Chasms, Syl was totally absent. It would have gone a whole lot differently if she had been hissing at Kaladin about the dirty, lying Cryptic the whole time.

Then there's the differences in their life experiences. Shallan doesn't understand the social disparity between lighteyes and darkeyes that Kaladin has seen. Kaladin may be a little hard on lighteyes, but Shallan doesn't have the perspective to understand where his anger comes from. The way that lighteyes are usually automatically viewed as honorable, no matter how despicable they actually are, while darkeyes have to prove themselves worthy of decent treatment, is a feature of society that has seriously harmed Kaladin. Shallan, to her credit, doesn't think that way, but not being awful doesn't change the way most of the other members of society behave.

Now, there are a lot of ways that these reasons it shouldn't work could be subverted to serve the story, but I would prefer that the narrative didn't go that way. Kaladin can learn to live with his depression (his aversion to the Weeping being an aspect of that) without inolving Shallan in a big romantic comedy-style subplot. The Cryptics and Honorspren can learn to work together and respect each other without being thrust together by a relationship between the Radiants they've bonded (which, again, seems like a romantic comedy plot to me). Finally, Kaladin's animosity towards lighteyes can be allayed by his interactions with Dalinar and by his burgeoning camaraderie with Adolin (which would be totally destroyed if Kaladin stole his girlfriend). Nor Shallan does need to date a darkeyes to realize that being a powerful person who is decent to the powerless isn't enough, if most powerful people mistreat the powerless.

The tension of the attraction between Kaladin and Shallan will be very interesting for the story, but something actually coming of it? Not so much.

I think its a love hate thing, more of a sexual tension than anything born out of love.  Its like they both despise each other, which makes it wrong for them to be together, which makes it dirty if they did...Romeo and Juliet anyone?

and that certainly ended well.... lol (sorry had to)

and that certainly ended well.... lol (sorry had to)

To be very exact: he was about 18, she about 15, their relationship lasted significantly less than a month and ended with four dead people...

"Passionate, with an intense, smoldering resolve. A leashed anger that he used, because he had dominated it. And a certain tempting arrogance. Not the haughty pride of a highlord. Instead, the secure, stable sense of determination that whispered that no matter who you were—or what you did—you could not hurt him. Could not change him.

He was. Like the wind and rocks were." 

WoR, chapter 77

From this description, Kaladin is shaping out as a typical tall, dark, handsome and mysterious love interest.  He has the brooding stoicism down pat.  Expect the next book's cover art to have an Everstorm background with a shirtless, open-vest Fabio Kaladin holding a swooning Shallan in the front. 

ae3r1jH.png

This is how I imagined it in my head.  Kaladin's hand is in a potentially off-limits place but it's all right as long as it's not the safehand.

From this description, Kaladin is shaping out as a typical tall, dark, handsome and mysterious love interest.  He has the brooding stoicism down pat.  Expect the next book's cover art to have an Everstorm background with a shirtless, open-vest Fabio Kaladin holding a swooning Shallan in the front. 

ae3r1jH.png

This is how I imagined it in my head.  Kaladin's hand is in a potentially off-limits place but it's all right as long as it's not the safehand.

most beautiful thing I've ever seen

Might I suggest a sequel title:

"Chasm of my Heart"

I've already named it "Surgebonding".

Surgebonding

I thought about a title with some variation of "chasm" in it, but the word is hard to mix into a phrase without having too many syllables in a mouthful. 

• 1 month later...

Okay, this is my first post on the site but, I noticed something very important missing from either side. I may have just overlooked it but nobody seems to have mentioned; Kaladin did kill her beloved brother, she had committed both matricide and patricide. While it may not affect the problems she will eventually have with him, it most likely will. Also, while I have read many things against Shallan having feelings for Kaladin, it is there, but only the very beginning, she is very intrigued by his intensity; his passion. Which I will say is not sexual tension or physical attraction like she felt when first seeing Adolin.

I do not think that right now she is in love with either but infatuated with both; without realizing her infatuation towards Kaladin.

Also, people are saying that they do not like the idea of a love triangle, but it does not necessarily mean there will be one, there are many ways to resolve a conflict while writing.