• No
    • Maybe
    • ???
  2. 2. Does Shallan like Kaladin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • ???

At the current time, I think that Kaladin has the potential to like Shallan, but is too hung up on other things to really open up to those feelings...so I put ??? for him.

I think Shallan doesn't dislike Kaladin, necessarily, but neither does she like like him. Adolin. Adolin. Aaaaaaadolin. So she's a no.

Truthfully I don't think adolin will live through the series, then again BS's reluctance to kill off important characters might change that. I would also like to see what Kaladin does in SA3 since he has arrived at hearthstone, I got a feeling there might be some awkwardness if laral is still alive.

I think it is way too early to call it "like" yet, whatever it is that passed between them. An interest, surely, but one that may or may not span into romantic desire.

Adolin however, is definitely crushing on Shallan, no questions here. Shallan definitely likes (like not love, two different things) Adolin, she cares for him, but I would not call it love, not yet.

As for a main character dying (which is totally unnecessary if you ask me), everyone keeps on saying it has to be Adolin... Wild guess, why not Kaladin? This is sure to draw some emotional response from the reader... Or Shallan? Let's kill Shallan then nobody gets to be with her. FYI, I am just joking here. I absolutely hate the idea of main characters dying as I sincerely believe they are all more interesting alive then dead. If Brandon wants to kill someone, he's got a hordes of important secondary characters that can die.

Honestly, my opinion is that it's definitely more complex than that. Seloun is right that there's definitely a shown interest there, but attraction does not necessarily equal like or the possibility of a relationship. Kaladin is much more interested in his own problems at the moment, so he's unlikely to try to get between the already formed couple when he likes both of them. Shallan also has her own problems and does like Adolin as well. I think there is definitely a possibility there, but that it's a full maybe that it's viable for something more. We just won't know until we see how the three of them interact in the next book.

And personally, I like Adolin and Shallan together. Shallan and Kaladin becoming besties and depending on each other and sharing stuff is much more attractive than yet another love triangle.

The next two quotes happen almost at the same time, from opposite perspectives:

It's pretty hard to argue that there's nothing there.

In fact it's pretty clear from their second meeting (the insult-fest as Shallan is trying to get an audience with Dalinar) where this is going; it's classic tsundere. There is so much evidence that it seems almost deliberately misleading.

This supports the Theory a lot.

I personally think Kaladin will find Tarah, and will instantly lose interest in Shallan. 

And Shallan obviously like Adolin waaay more. (read where she first meets him, and the wineshop scene, and look at the shardplate sketch)

That's a pretty good post Seloun. It's pretty much what I think about their relationship too. Though I should point out Kaladin disliking rain, and Shallan and Tien liking it have nothing to do with their Nahel bonds (possible bond, in Tien's case). Kaladin suffers from seasonal affective disorder. Shallan and Tien simply like rain.

Edit: the WoB:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1080#8

QUESTION ()

The weepings--Shallan and Kaladin react very differently to them.
BRANDON SANDERSON

They do.

QUESTION

It just seems to me that the Weepings feel very close to Cultivation.

BRANDON SANDERSON

The primary thing you're noticing -- and I'm not going to say there's not any magical influence -- but the primary thing you're noticing is that Kaladin has season affective disorder and Shallan likes the rain. That's the primary thing you're noticing. I like the rain--my wife hates it. My wife gets depressed when it rains and I love when it rains.

Edited by cem

That's a pretty good post Seloun. It's pretty much what I think about their relationship too. Though I should point out Kaladin disliking rain, and Shallan and Tien liking it have nothing to do with their Nahel bonds (possible bond, in Tien's case). Kaladin suffers from seasonal affective disorder. Shallan and Tien simply like rain.

Edit: the WoB:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1080#8

Brandon just compared Shallan & Kaladin to Himself and his Wife! Relationship confirmed!

I always thought kaladin didn't like the weeping because of the lack of storm light. He has unknowingly consumed storm light most of his life.

I think most is a bit of a stretch here. Kaladin is twenty by the end of WoR. He was fifteen when he joined Amaram's army, and Syl herself said that it was his actions with his spearman's squad that attracted her. Even if he sucked in stormlight the moment he joined the army - which I doubt is possible considering the time-consuming nature of the Nahel bond - that still wouldn't be most of his life.

I think most is a bit of a stretch here. Kaladin is twenty by the end of WoR. He was fifteen when he joined Amaram's army, and Syl herself said that it was his actions with his spearman's squad that attracted her. Even if he sucked in stormlight the moment he joined the army - which I doubt is possible considering the time-consuming nature of the Nahel bond - that still wouldn't be most of his life.

Kaladin's Stormlight addiction is something new, but their bond still starts much earlier than Kaladin's army days. Remember that unlike Pattern, Wyndle, and possibly Ivory, Syl didn't come to the Physical Realm through a group effort with a predetermined proto-Radiant. Her memory was pretty spotty when she said that. She also says she was with Kaladin during his childhood (the "yes and no" thing) in WoR. We also saw Kaladin using Windrunner abilities as early as 12 years old when he was fighting that older kid with quarterstaffs. So they at least had a rudimentary Nahel bond at that point. I would argue what initially attracted Syl was Kaladin's desire to heal people. Which is more in line with how I view honorspren. Syl hates killing, but sees it as a necessary evil at times.

Kaladin has fallen bad for Shallan after the both fell into the Chasm while Shallan is more of a maybe. I think she does find him attractive and if the two courted more it would eventually happen but right now she like Adolin more.

I certainly agree.

Also, hello to the forums.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as their feelings towards each other are concerned I feel that they currently do like each other to varying degrees but I don't feel that it has blossomed to anything substantial. Shallan broke the ice around Kaladins boy/girl feelings so I think he's in a more puppy love faze, where Shallan feels that Kaladin is intriguing. I honestly don't believe that Sanderson is going to be so obvious in his relationship matching and thus I see these two ending in a type of Rand/Egwene affair (WoT). I will say if these two do end up getting together I'd have no problem with the romance, it just feels to easy to pick out.

A thought that has been bugging me, however, is what about the prospect of Jasnah and Kaladin as a potential match? That could be an interesting romance.

As far as their feelings towards each other are concerned I feel that they currently do like each other to varying degrees but I don't feel that it has blossomed to anything substantial. Shallan broke the ice around Kaladins boy/girl feelings so I think he's in a more puppy love faze, where Shallan feels that Kaladin is intriguing. I honestly don't believe that Sanderson is going to be so obvious in his relationship matching and thus I see these two ending in a type of Rand/Egwene affair (WoT). I will say if these two do end up getting together I'd have no problem with the romance, it just feels to easy to pick out.

A thought that has been bugging me, however, is what about the prospect of Jasnah and Kaladin as a potential match? That could be an interesting romance.

About Kaladin and Jasnah... Well... I recall someone asked Brandon if he was going to broached Jasnah's sexual orientation as the fact she seems uninterested in romance has made many readers believe she may be homosexual. He has answered he did not plan to broach the subject unless it becomes relevant to the main story arc. In other words, he more or less confirmed he did not currently planned to involved Jasnah into any romantic ship whatsoever and it her orientation, whatever it may be, ever becomes relevant to the story, he'll talk about it, but he won't write about it simply to quell the fandom's inquisition.

Based on this, I would think a Kaladin/Jasnah or a Jasnah/anyone romance is highly unlikely.

For those who are interested, Tor.com are currently doing the review of THE data chapter of Shallan/Adolin. Interesting review and spot on (in my opinion) analysis of what goes on there. It may fuel some discussion. Have fun.

This has been gone over in some old posts, but one of the main arguments for Shallan/Kaladin is that they're essentially the living personifications of 'opposites attract'. Besides the obvious, they're from opposite orders (Lightweavers and Windrunners are opposite sides on the Radiant diagram, which is also reflected in the reaction between liespren and honorspren).

Another interesting observation is how they react to the weather:

versus

Kaladin is a morning person; Shallan is a night person:

Shallan is a heavy drinker (I've postulated that she might be a proto-alcoholic), Kaladin is not:

versus

Everyone else has had multiple drinks, while Kaladin might not have finished his one if not for Moash's business (also his disinclination to go out in the first place).

Somewhat more abstractly, Shallan is bright on the outside while hiding some serious darkness inside, while Kaladin is pretty scary outside with a very idealistic center. Shallan personifies the traditional female arts (probably the best artist in the world barring maybe Heralds, one of the best scholars, at least passable schemer) while Kaladin personifies the traditional male arts (possibly the greatest warrior on Roshar at the moment when factoring in Stormlight). There's probably many other details where we find them to be complements of each other. It's very much as sun-and-moon thing going on between them.

Finally,

Kaladin compares Shallan with Tien, arguably the single most person in Kaladin's life (the reason he joined the army, the reason for his breaking in the first place). This is a surprisingly apt comparison given that at the time of the observation, Kaladin doesn't know about the role Shallan had in cheering up her brothers. Incidentally, there was speculation that Tien might have been a proto-Lightweaver as well due to (bold mine):

As mentioned above, what Tien does to Kaladin is very close to what Shallan does with her brothers. In a sense, they've been practicing their complementary roles their whole lives.

That said, I fully expect that in Book 3, their relationship will stall due to distance and being out of communication with each other, compounded by Kaladin not being around to defend his role in Helaran's death (remember, all the bridgemen, Dalinar and Adolin at the minimum know that Amaram stole the Shardblade from Kaladin due to the confrontation near the end of WoR, which Shallan was conveniently not present for). But in a way the roadblocks are indicative of the route the story will take - if it wasn't moving in that direction, the barriers would pose no narrative purpose.

Yes, Shallan likes Kaladin.  Yes, Kaladin likes Shallan.

However, Shallan does not like Kaladin as much as she likes Adolin, and Kaladin would never steal Adolin's girl.  Or hook up with a lighteyes :P

I pretty much agree with Seloun and Patrick Star.

They do like each other and they seem perfect for each other. But Shallan likes Adolin more, and there's also the whole Kaladin-Killing-Helaren thing.

Patrick, I'm not so sure that the light eye discrimination will be a thing anymore. Kaladin is rapidly becoming one of them.

I pretty much agree with Seloun and Patrick Star.

They do like each other and they seem perfect for each other. But Shallan likes Adolin more, and there's also the whole Kaladin-Killing-Helaren thing.

Patrick, I'm not so sure that the light eye discrimination will be a thing anymore. Kaladin is rapidly becoming one of them.

Becoming one of them does not mean he appreciates them more.