Stoneward Surge Potential

Patrick Star

Sorry if this is short and not fully developed. I am on my phone, and will update when I get to an actual keyboard.

I was thinking about stoneward powers in another thread, and realized that combining tension and cohesion could allow for material transmutation, like lead into gold.

When harnessed properly, this could allow a stoneward to become a technomancer.

Instead of just wearing shardplate, stonewards could create veronica-style powered armor to bust through thunderclasts and the like.

They could give every radiant a minigun and loads of amunition to mow through voidbringers.

And instead of fighting voidbringers on roshar, they could build a rocket ship to bring nightblood to Braize so that he can eat odium.

Edit:

Alright, so I'm at my computer now, so I'll elaborate a bit.

So, we know that atoms exert forces on each other.  That's what keeps a block of ice a block of ice.  We also know that subatomic particles exert forces on each other.  That's what keeps an atom an atom.

Basically, I'm thinking that an experienced Stoneward could manipulate these forces to rearrange atoms and atomic particles in order to alter its properties.  For example, one could take 2 moles of Lithium atoms and combine them into a mole of Carbon atoms (atomic # 3 to atomic # 6).  Or, he could create a highly precise alloy, such as a piece of steel with a coating to prevent rust and oxidation.  Or maybe create solid rocket fuel (which is awesome).

Or, this could allow Roshar to have unlimited nuclear power, as they could just convert the nuclear waste back into nuclear fuel after each highstorm.

Without a truly massive amount of stormlight, this would likely be limited to solids (and a few liquids), as other states of matter do not have the same forces holding them together.

Either way, so many possibilities!

Edited by Patrick Star

Sounds fun, although I can't seem to figure out how cohesion and tension would do that... could somebody explain?

I'm thinking that the interaction between the two could allow trained stonewards much finer control than with the two seperately. Cohesion is strong axial connections bonds, and tension is soft ones. So, I'm thinking that stonewards may get control of all the connections, basically. With both combined, you could theoretically rearrange matter at the subatomic level, with enough practice.

Edited by Patrick Star

Well...Wouldn't you kind of need to have some awareness of how the subatomic particles interacted? Does Roshar even have a working theory of matter at the atomic level?

Probably not. But I'm willing to bet that there may be some worldhoppers on Roshar who do. Like Hoid. I'd be surprised if he didn't.

So basically, you are saying that Stonewards would need to first understand atomic theory well enough to separate individual electrons, protons, and neutrons, then apply said trons to other atoms, on a MASSIVE level just because of how many atoms would be in the space required for a minigun, then harness even more electrons to fuel it, and finally, they have to know what a minigun is. If so, could they theoretically make shardplate?

Umm... Soulcasting.

In my head, this would be more precise than Soulcasting, but require a lot more Stormlight and experience to do.  And likely be limited to changing solids to other solids, as the atoms exert more force on each other.

A soulcaster may be able to turn a rock into a sheet of metal, but the hypothetical Stoneward could give it a silicon-germanium substrate with metal and oxide overlays to create a microchip.

That sort of thing.

...the hypothetical Stoneward could give it a silicon-germanium substrate with metal and oxide overlays to create a microchip.

...Which would require knowledge of what a microchip is and how to make one. And since you're doing it atom-by-atom, it would presumably be faster and easier to just have the Elsecaller turn five rocks into the base metals you need and have a skilled technician (who might be the same person) use that to make a microchip.

Y'know, decades or centuries down the line when someone invents a microchip.

...Which would require knowledge of what a microchip is and how to make one. And since you're doing it atom-by-atom, it would presumably be faster and easier to just have the Elsecaller turn five rocks into the base metals you need and have a skilled technician (who might be the same person) use that to make a microchip.

Well, you'd need the wafer, a carbon dioxide laser, a vacuum chamber and cleanroom, a huge power source to power the carbon dioxide laser, 6 molybdenum-silicon bilayer mirrors with a protective rubidium coating, a mechanism to control the tin droplets, a magnetic field generator to collect debris emissions, photoresist, and a defect-free photomask with the right pattern on it to get that microchip.  And those are just the basic ingredients for the die.  After that, you need to package it.  And I'm not even including what you'd need to calibrate the tools in the first place.  It's exponentially more difficult than having a stoneward handle it.

I'm not saying that this is going to happen, I'm just saying that it could.

...all of which is STILL easier than constructing literally anything molecule by molecule. Two grams of water is an entire mole. If it were as simple as counting, you could still do all that stuff to make a microchip faster. Just counting every molecule in two grams of water would take 1x10^17 years assuming you count a number a second. I cannot find good information on the average weight of a microchip but even if it's a quarter of that, it's still millions of years before you have one microchip.

Also, that's not how the Surges Tension or Cohesion work.

As far as I know tension is making something that is non rigid such as cloth rigid (strong interaxial force) and vice versa for cohesion I don't think they can alter positioning of atoms only the forces that are in them and the structure that composes them

• Chaos locked this topic