Could Stormlight Archive be successful with a TV adaption like GoT and if so would you rather it be Anime or real people.

rbnguevara

Ok so I have read every book in the Cosmere and some not in the Cosmere and now that I have finished all I do is read TWoK and WoR over and over.  I ride my bike 150 miles a week all while listening to the audio books over and over.  I am also a big fan of Manga and Anime.  So naturally I picture everything I read in an anime. 

After reading the Game of Thrones series and then to my disappointment watching the TV show.  I can't help but think they could have done better if it was done as an anime.

Most stories I read that end up in anime are word for word identical and much better representations of how I picture a story looking.

Today I found myself wondering what would it take to get one of the big anime studios in Japan to adopt The Stormlight Archive into a Manga or Anime series.  I never want to see this story with real people because I fear the epic failure of it.  But I could see the anime being a huge success and it in my mind would bring more fans into the cosmere.  Also it would give those who lack imagination a visual representation of what I love to read.

I introduced this book to my Korean friends and they loved it as well and continue to ask when it will be available in Korean.

Anyways I am not so good at this but I wonder if someone started an online campaign to fund the production of an anime adaption to the Stormlight Archives how many of you would get behind it and do you think it could work..

Thoughts?

Be gentle.

Oh and has anyone else named there dog after Kaladin?  I did and so far I think he is the only one.

I'd much rather see an adaptation with real people. In the first place, because i'm not a fan of anime. In the second, because I would like to see roshar in some good realistic computer graphics. I don't need drawings. i have them already.

EDIT: of course, that would be ideally. From a practical point of view, I don't think likely it will ever be adapted live (too many special effects needed) and an anime adaptation would be better than nothing.

Edited by king of nowhere

Depending on what 3D animation is like about a decade, I think it could work but then it would be harder to aim a 3D animation adaptation/translation towards a maturer audience without it getting silly. If it was done anime style, it might lean towards getting a bit too over the top should it become popular. Live action could work, providing the budget is fairly decent and acting above par. It would probably work best with 1 hour 30 min eps, given the expansive content (SA might be a bit too hard to adapt but we'll see what Brandon does) 

animation lends its self better i think to people flying around the change to computer graphics messes with the eye and is usually done poorly in live action. I also can not picture the final battle in WoR as anything other than an Animation every time I try my mind has flashbacks to the live action DBZ movie and strokes out a little.

I couldn't see this as an HBO show like Spawn(Overkill and TOO graphic) and I would hate to see it in CG.   I do like the way emotions are portrayed in Anime(Japanime) I have a better connection to the characters in anime and I don't maintain personnel bias against a voice like I do a face who has done horrible on previous shows or movies.  Given the length of the books Manga or Graphic novel would be a great way to start and test fan base is out there.

To be honest, when I read through books, I always imagine ways to adapt them into TV versions. This is something I've thought about a lot.

It would probably work best with 1 hour 30 min eps, given the expansive content (SA might be a bit too hard to adapt but we'll see what Brandon does)

Yep, I think that each episode should be a part in the book(by this I mean the very first episode would be Part one: Above Silence), with interludes during the credits or something. Or possibly shorter little episode in between the five long ones.

I think live action could work, if they are able to have the kind of visual quality that The Hobbit had, as opposed to Doctor Who. (Even though I had problems with The Hobbit. They could have cut out half the fight scenes, made it into 2 movies, and be just as good. I like Dr. Who, but the special effects are pretty awful.)

Nope, not anime. Live action would way better portray it (agreed that it would depend on the effects) 

But I would rather it be live action or nothing. I would have a hard time watching it if it were anime.

In this case, I purpose that the members of the 17th shard become the majority of the cast and crew in order to do it justice. 

A live action of SA would be amazing if they waited and had the right technology. We're getting there- by the time it might be realistic for them to begin catching up with the books by doing a live action show, it might just be possible to succeed in showing the amazing magic system and fights. And who knows, by then it might be easier to go outside the box with the style and length of episodes. 

That being said, I think animation might also be a viable option. However, I don't believe an anime is necessarily the right way to go. Animation and Anime need not be the same- something that is done in animation but not necessarily the style and method of anime might be closer to an interpretation I would enjoy. It would also allow for something that matches the art style and feeling that SA already has. Moving away from that and into the pretty set various stylistic choices of anime might make the show more jarring.

Really...I've be pleased as punch to see either...but I do feel that animation would do Roshar better justice.  What with all the spren everywhere, totally alien landscape, weird oceanesque flora and fauna...anyway...my vote is for anime.  also upvote to rbn because no one else did...

2d Animation, not necessarily anime. I think it would be better to portray the Rosharan peoples, since none corresponds directly with an real world ethiny. Althought I would prefer a more "realistic" style of drawing, since SA is a mostly serious story. Not only I don't think live-action can't do its setting justice, but I also think animation can convey a serious, deep narrative properly.

Pro/Con list Live-Action v.s. Anime

Live-Action

Pros: Emotions would be better on real faces. Decent acting and special effects would elevate this option more.

Cons: Whitewashing. Budget. Bad acting and special effects would destroy this option more.

Anime

Pros: Cheaper. Easier to create special effects. Could bring in a lot of readers if done right.

Cons: Harder to show the emotions. Could alienate a lot of readers.

So it seems to me after creating this list that Anime would be the safer option, but Live-Action would create a higher potential of quality. It really boils down to the budget provided, but if its relatively low go for Anime. Relatively high go for Live-Action.

Ok so I have read every book in the Cosmere and some not in the Cosmere and now that I have finished all I do is read TWoK and WoR over and over. I ride my bike 150 miles a week all while listening to the audio books over and over. I am also a big fan of Manga and Anime. So naturally I picture everything I read in an anime.

After reading the Game of Thrones series and then to my disappointment watching the TV show. I can't help but think they could have done better if it was done as an anime.

Most stories I read that end up in anime are word for word identical and much better representations of how I picture a story looking.

Today I found myself wondering what would it take to get one of the big anime studios in Japan to adopt The Stormlight Archive into a Manga or Anime series. I never want to see this story with real people because I fear the epic failure of it. But I could see the anime being a huge success and it in my mind would bring more fans into the cosmere. Also it would give those who lack imagination a visual representation of what I love to read.

I introduced this book to my Korean friends and they loved it as well and continue to ask when it will be available in Korean.

Anyways I am not so good at this but I wonder if someone started an online campaign to fund the production of an anime adaption to the Stormlight Archives how many of you would get behind it and do you think it could work..

Thoughts?

Be gentle.

Oh and has anyone else named there dog after Kaladin? I did and so far I think he is the only one.

So I agree that a live action adaptation of SA would more likely than not be a disappointment, and I base this off of the train wreck that is GoT when compared to ASoIaF. Bad actors favored for their looks over talent, special effects that can't quite keep up with what we see in our imaginations and end up looking bad, writing teams taking liberties with good source material just so they can feed their ego and "make it their own". All these things are not what I want for SA or any of Brandon's works.

An animated (whether anime or traditional) adaptation would be a better option over live action, but still suffer from some of the limitations above. I think I'd rather see a graphic novel adaption. Plus, much of the success of GoT and their ability to pull funding is it's larger audience appeal, which I just don't think you can get from a cartoon anything. The most marketable and bankable audience for a cartoon version would be children, and can you imagine this story adapted for that demographic? Please no...

Coming back to the funding question, and whether or not there are campaigns started for crowd sourcing such an animated endeavor, I'm pretty confident you won't find any. Granted, I haven't looked, but the biggest problem is getting investors for a project that doesn't even have approval from the work's owner to proceed if the funding goal was reached. Brandon owns the rights to the story, and those rights are very valuable and won't be sold or given away prior to any money changing hands. Just my two cents

Ok so I have read every book in the Cosmere and some not in the Cosmere and now that I have finished all I do is read TWoK and WoR over and over.  I ride my bike 150 miles a week all while listening to the audio books over and over.  I am also a big fan of Manga and Anime.  So naturally I picture everything I read in an anime. 

After reading the Game of Thrones series and then to my disappointment watching the TV show.  I can't help but think they could have done better if it was done as an anime.

Most stories I read that end up in anime are word for word identical and much better representations of how I picture a story looking.

Today I found myself wondering what would it take to get one of the big anime studios in Japan to adopt The Stormlight Archive into a Manga or Anime series.  I never want to see this story with real people because I fear the epic failure of it.  But I could see the anime being a huge success and it in my mind would bring more fans into the cosmere.  Also it would give those who lack imagination a visual representation of what I love to read.

Thoughts?

Be gentle.

Oh and has anyone else named there dog after Kaladin?  I did and so far I think he is the only one.

Honest to goodness, my first thought was "you ride your bike 150 miles per week?!"

After that, I'd be ok with either, as long as it was a sincere effort by a large team with enough resources to do it justice.

I'd really like to see an animation adaption. :) I'm with the OP. (Another anime fan here.) The setting and world-building of SA always give me animesque feelings, with all those giant magic swords and magnificent armors, complex magic systems, alien ecology, spirit-like spren, different races and species (with different hair color, eye color and skin tone)... So if they can find a good studio, a such adaption would probably be ideal.

But honestly, I'm happy to see any forms of adaption. If they can make a fair live-action adaption (such as not whitewashing the characters and not adding too much other stuff), that would be the best.

I would love a live adaption, but there would be several issues. Firstly, I agree with the magic problems; I was very disappointed with the portrayal of Gandalf in the LoTR movies. It was a great character, but they really ignored the whole firemage thing. Peter Jackson said that the wizard throwing fireballs was too stereotypical, but Gandalf is the archetype character the whole stereotype grew from.

Another issue would be cost. It would likely be more expensive to make than GoT, and TV executives will be unlikely to spend money on something that is radically different from the formulas that create shows that they expect to be successfull. I can imagine the sales pitch:

TV Executive: So, whats the story about?

Brandon's agent: Its an epic tale of good versus evil, set on a magical alien world with a unique ecosystem.

TV Executive: Aliens can be good. Space aliens?

Brandon's agent: No, more an indigenous lifeform. They look similar to humans. But most of the characters are human. The humans were magically transported there in the distant past by their god, to escape one of his evil counterparts.

TV Executive: So, what are these people like?

Brandon's agent: Kind of like a medieval empire of Polynesians, with a somewhat stagnant culture defined by static social stratification. They-

TV Executive: Polynesian?

Brandon's agent: Mostly yes, there are several cultures on the planet, but the books are mainly focused around the Alethi.

TV Executive: Are there any white people?

Brandon's agent: Well, Szeth is white. He's a short, skinny, bald, psychotic mass murderer.

TV Executive: Hmmm. I've read some of the character notes. Do you think maybe Hayden Christensen could do Kaladin?

edit: words missing

Edited by CabbageHead

I would love a live adaption, but there would be several issues. Firstly, I agree with the magic problems; I was very disappointed with the portrayal of Gandalf in the LoTR movies. It was a great character, but they really ignored the whole firemage thing. Peter Jackson said that the wizard throwing fireballs was too stereotypical, but Gandalf is the archetype character the whole stereotype grew from.

Another issue would be cost. It would likely be more expensive to make than GoT, and TV executives will be unlikely to spend money on something that is radically different from the formulas that create shows that they expect to be successfull. I can imagine the sales pitch:

TV Executive: So, whats the story about?

Brandon's agent: Its an epic tale of good versus evil, set on a magical alien world with a unique ecosystem.

TV Executive: Aliens can be good. Space aliens?

Brandon's agent: No, more an indigenous lifeform. They look similar to humans. But most of the characters are human. The humans were magically transported there in the distant past by their god, to escape one of his evil counterparts.

TV Executive: So, what are these people like?

Brandon's agent: Kind of like a medieval empire of Polynesians, with a somewhat stagnant culture defined by static social stratification. They-

TV Executive: Polynesian?

Brandon's agent: Mostly yes, there are several cultures on the planet, but the books are mainly focused around the Alethi.

TV Executive: Are there any white people?

Brandon's agent: Well, Szeth is white. He's a short, skinny, bald, psychotic mass murderer.

TV Executive: Hmmm. I've read some of the character notes. Do you think maybe Hayden Christensen could do Kaladin?

edit: words missing

This is the most true to life post I've ever read. Sadly. Because that is exactly what would happen if hollywood picked this movie up right now. That's my main vote against live action.

They do, yes. But the ideal hair color is black, which is natural Alethi. The others are mixed in from marrying other races. And it is a different world, so they're not going to definitely be exactly like a race on earth. I mean, Adolin's hair is blonde and black naturally. Plus, with eye color, their whole society is based around it, and only the nobles have light eyes. He's likely to play around with eye color rather than stick to what most people assume is the main look for a race here.

Polynesian? Don't a bunch of the Alethi characters have blonde or red hair and green/blue/grey eyes?

Rosharan hair breeds true in several races, so you get bizarre cases of multicolored hair in distinctive streaks. All Alethi would have locks of black hair, but other locks of hair would be other colors if mixed. It's bizarre enough that there's really no point comparing them to Earth races.

I mean, Iriali hair is metallic gold. Not blonde, gold. That doesn't happen on Earth.

Polynesian? Don't a bunch of the Alethi characters have blonde or red hair and green/blue/grey eyes?

Rosharan races don't match perfectly to Earth ones partly because everyone, except the Shin, have eyes with epicanthic folds (i.e. Asian-looking eyes).  Visually the Alethi look like people of mixed Asian and Hawaiian decent.  Even people with Horneater blood, like Shallan, who have much lighter skin than the Alethi, would still look like a Caucasian/Asian mix.

Here is an audio clip where Brandon talks about this.