The ultimate defense against chalklings?

Havoc

It seems more likely to me that (as has been previously surmised) the field/wall that lines of forbiddance project is more of a 3D by-product of the drawn line than an actual part of it. I think the chalkings chew through the actual chalk as opposed to the field, so an upside-down line of forbbidance would only work for stopping 3D entities.

Edited by kinxer

It seems more likely to me that (as has been previously surmised) the field/wall that lines of forbiddance project is more of a 3D by-product of the drawn line than an actual part of it. I think the chalkings chew through the actual chalk as opposed to the field, so an upside-down line of forbbidance would only work for stopping 3D entities.

That is an interesting thought, but we still have the curiosity of 2D entities interacting directly with 3D space.  Don't forget that chalklings are used to wind the springs for the springrails.  Thus, it does not seem unreasonable to me that a force that operates in 3D could effect them directly.  On top of which, it is clear that chalklings cannot go through walls, so why could they pass through a LoF field without first damaging the field by damaging the LoF?

I really want the suspended circular pole with the line of forbiddance pointing downward to be a thing.  :D

It seems odd that chalklings can interact with the springrails and push against that force. If one was fighting a single chalkling, could you then just kick at it? Can you put force on a chalk drawing? And are chalklings seriously stronger than people (or at least as strong as, Springrails again)? But whatever, that's how they work. I would imagine that one defense could then be to pin them to the ground--they can't move through a wall, so take a tent stake and stick it into them. 

As for whether the lines are perpendicular to the surface or to the planets gravitational pull, I say surface. We see people drawing lines on walls, which I believe went out into the room. Rough ground would likely make the line unstable, and there's not really much use for a tilted line, but it is something to consider. 

Hm. What would it take to do that with all of Nebrask?  <_<

Take it and chuck it into the sea instead (make sure it sinks).  The chalklings had to travel on logs and such across the sea to get to other islands.  Seems like sinking in the water would be hazardous to their health.

• 6 months later...

Remember how chalklings went through the grass?

They move like shadows on grass blades, shape broken up like a projection on 3D surface.

In that light, I am not certain if the strategy of a deeper line of forbadence would work for them, if they move like shadow projection.

Same goes for the ceiling lines. Would chalklings care the height of the chalk line if they moves like projected shadows? In my opinion they should work like how they move, consider the 3D world as a projection, and ignores the Z axis completely. So the ceiling line should work the same as a ground drawn line?

Next come a question on the height of the barrier created by the line of forbaidence.. In the battle in the dorm , it looks like that the line of forbaidence on first floor did not cause any trouble for anyone on the second floor. Either the line is not thick enough to hit the ceiling, or

the berries height is limited by the existing ceiling. If it is the later case, it further strenghthens the idea of the barrier being a projection of the chalk, and the height rule may not mean anything..

Else if the barrier is strong enough to stop a cannonball, and I drew it really thick under a low ceiling, would the ceiling not break by the line? (maybe retired duster can also do building demolition this way to have more income?)

And, if the line of forbaidence is of limited height and chalkling cares about the height of the chalk line, what is stopping someone throw a fishing line over others line of forbaidence and have chalklings climb over the line? In that case, a fishing pole would be equally essential as chalk in a battle. Just have someone in the circle who is really good at throwing lines into other's warding circle and have chalklings run through the line.

Brandon would still have a lot to explain on how the line interact with the 3D world.. Before that, practice line throwing would help: )

How were the lines on the wall drawn? Since the lines create a field, as soon as you reached a corner, the field would limit the ability to draw on the next wall...

Anyways, could a wire placed directly on the ground be pushed by a chalkling? If it could you can simply place tripwire acid traps inside the LoF's. 

Remember how chalklings went through the grass?

They move like shadows on grass blades, shape broken up like a projection on 3D surface.

In that light, I am not certain if the strategy of a deeper line of forbadence would work for them, if they move like shadow projection.

Same goes for the ceiling lines. Would chalklings care the height of the chalk line if they moves like projected shadows? In my opinion they should work like how they move, consider the 3D world as a projection, and ignores the Z axis completely. So the ceiling line should work the same as a ground drawn line?

Next come a question on the height of the barrier created by the line of forbaidence.. In the battle in the dorm , it looks like that the line of forbaidence on first floor did not cause any trouble for anyone on the second floor. Either the line is not thick enough to hit the ceiling, or

the berries height is limited by the existing ceiling. If it is the later case, it further strenghthens the idea of the barrier being a projection of the chalk, and the height rule may not mean anything..

Else if the barrier is strong enough to stop a cannonball, and I drew it really thick under a low ceiling, would the ceiling not break by the line? (maybe retired duster can also do building demolition this way to have more income?)

And, if the line of forbaidence is of limited height and chalkling cares about the height of the chalk line, what is stopping someone throw a fishing line over others line of forbaidence and have chalklings climb over the line? In that case, a fishing pole would be equally essential as chalk in a battle. Just have someone in the circle who is really good at throwing lines into other's warding circle and have chalklings run through the line.

Brandon would still have a lot to explain on how the line interact with the 3D world.. Before that, practice line throwing would help: )

The idea of the line being on the ceiling is in order to prevent the chalklings from eating away at the chalk line.  Of course, that would only work if the chalklings did not have sufficient access to the ceiling.  It does not appear that chalklings can scale a LoF like they could a normal wall since they had many opportunities to do so.  As to the line breaking through the ceiling given sufficient line thickness, it is unclear what would happen since we have been given no info on this from Brandon or the text.  I wouldn't be surprised to get much more info on LoFs in the Aztlanian (I hope). 

The fishing line ides is very interesting.  I have postulated that the LoF barrier has sloped sides that meet at a vertex.  If that is correct, then such a vertex would be expected to be very sharp.  I would expect that this would result in the line being cut.  But, that is only if my theory is correct.

How were the lines on the wall drawn? Since the lines create a field, as soon as you reached a corner, the field would limit the ability to draw on the next wall...

Anyways, could a wire placed directly on the ground be pushed by a chalkling? If it could you can simply place tripwire acid traps inside the LoF's. 

I'm not sure about what you mean about the walls.  But, it seems that without sufficient motivation to move the tripwire, they would simply go under, over, or around it without moving it.

Edited by Shardlet