Crafty Games @ GenCon 2015

WeiryWriter

So Crafty Games just posted their plans for this year's GenCon and there are a few neat Mistborn related things.

Some of you may remember that a while back I posted about how Crafty Games were making a Mistborn board game.  Well they will be presenting a prototype of it at GenCon.  Here's the blurb they have for it:

Mistborn_Board_Game_Logo.jpg

Final Empire: A Mistborn board game (design by Kevin Wilson)
Become the head of a Great House of Luthadel in this game of negotiation and betrayal, set in the world of Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn novels. Contend with myriad problems plaguing the Final Empire — rampaging koloss, disease, social unrest, even the heroes of the novels — and with every step jockey for the Lord Ruler’s favor. At the end of the story will you rise to power and prestige, or fall in ruin and disgrace?

Later they also mention that the next MAG supplement (Skaa: Tin & Ash) is in edits right now and they expect it to release this winter.

They will also be giving away an Aluminum Mistborn die (which is a design not included in the retail set or the special Kickstarter set) with any purchase made at the convention.

They also mention that they will be doing a panel called "Mistborn: Scheming Across Scadrial" that " players or readers of the Mistborn Adventure Game will definitely want to sit in if they can"

@WayneSlider

I find it unlikely that Brandon played any significant role in the designing of the game, for the same reason he doesn't write the scripts for potential movie adaptations.  He is a prose writer, not a script writer or a game designer, and so he leaves these things to the people who actually know they are doing.  In this case Kevin Wilson.

As for whether players will be able to use Allomancy, I'm inclined to agree with Oudeis on this.  Allomancers maybe a "resource" players can use for certain actions but Allomany will only be used in an abstract sense (i.e. you use 5 Pewterarms to take out a hit squad trying to assassinate you or something).

I've seen the rules, Weiry has it about right.

Don't think I'm allowed to discuss things in detail, but Allomancer cards can do things like reduce or increase the Urgency of Problem cards, steal Resource tokens, reveal another player's hand, etc.

double-posting 'cause reasons...

I just asked Brandon if he was excited about the board game and this was his reply:

Sure am! Though I personally wish they'd called it "Mistborn: House War" instead, as I'd suggested. The game is more about the politicking that goes on in the books than it is about being a Mistborn. I'm worried people will go in thinking about it the wrong way.

(source)

Frankly I like his idea for the name way better, but c'est la vie.

Also based on some discussion I came across about the board game over on Reddit (and so the circle is complete, I link to this discussion which in turn links to the news post I wrote which links back to here), it seems the guy designing the game, Kevin Wilson, is actually fairly well regarded as a designer.  So that's a point in favor of the game being good.

Hopefully they ship stuff worldwide this time... (they did the allomancy dice, didn't they?)

Yep. Postage wasn't any extra either but you had to order at least 6. I figure they probably won't do it that way for a full game though.

I was under the impression that it was a con-exclusive promotion. Not sure if there's any other way to get it.

That is what I said. They are selling things at gen con, and the die comes "with purchase." I cannot, however, get a list of specifically and exactly what they are selling, at what prices. From what little I can determine, there's nothing they are selling I want/don't already have, so I'm motivated to just purchase the absolute cheapest thing, give it to someone else, and keep the die.

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=8044.195

They are selling their typical stuff (MAG, Fantasy Craft, etc.), probably at normal prices. They have said, however (I asked), that this will not be the only opportunity. Lucky for the Australians, and those of us who just plain aren't going to GenCon.

Yes, I saw that thread. I was hoping for an exact list, possibly with prices attached. I don't believe there's anything I want or, to be frank, would keep right now, besides the die. I will just end up purchasing the literal cheapest possible option, keeping the die, and handing whatever I got to the next person who wants it.

So a few days ago Crafty posted a picture of the game on their twitter:

CLLKqIXUwAA2RiO.jpg

Here's what I can make out. On the "Icon Reference" card there's a list of various resources Food?, Money, Prestige, Skaa, Warfare/Weapons?, Atium. And then I can make out four of the "player cards", House Tekiel, the Steel Ministry, House Elariel, and House Venture.

So the skaa rebellion is going on all the while the 4 playee factions are going about their business. And you go around either garnering favor with TLR or do the opposite and help the rebellion. Or force others to do so? And who wins in the end entirely depends on whether ol' Rashek is still in power by then?

Okay, that sounds like a fun recipe for mindscrew. If only I could get one :(

So the skaa rebellion is going on all the while the 4 playee factions are going about their business. And you go around either garnering favor with TLR or do the opposite and help the rebellion. Or force others to do so? And who wins in the end entirely depends on whether ol' Rashek is still in power by then?

Okay, that sounds like a fun recipe for mindscrew. If only I could get one :(

There will be a kickstarter for it in the fall of this year, and it releases next year at some point, I guess.