In the spirit of combining the two secondary interests (secondary to Reckoners, that is) around here, I decided to see what the internet had to offer in the way of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic with pugs. 

I found this pug cosplaying as Princess Luna, so I'd say it was a success. 

f75a967c600710963c3c206d13607082.jpg

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

That doesn't seem evil-laugh-worthy, Empress Moon. It seems more cheer-the-coming-of-a-new-golden-age-worthy. :huh:

Be honest. If you absorbed powerful dark magic and became Nightmare Pug, don't you think you'd at least give one villainous laugh before rolling over and letting the pug puppies crawl all over you? :P

Yes. 

But it wouldn't last long before turning into giggles. :wub:

881543e1dc2e26d684fc1a677c3ed2b4.png  Muahahaha--meehee. Hee hee hee! Hee hee heeeeeee! COME TO MOMMY, MY CUTE LITTLE MOON-PIES!

c0f2c02952c9181cb7d736730c103458.png Um. Should we still be trying to stop her?

Edited by Kobold King

Since I missed my chance to multi-quote, I'll just do things the old fashioned way:  

On the topic of a cake and confetti epic desperate to please everyone and being fake-cheerful to avoid triggering their weakness:  So you're talking secretly Evil Pinkie Pie?  Or just regular Pinkie Pie, since we really have no way of knowing whether or not she is secretly evil.

EDIT:  Though, arguably, if Pinkie Pie were secretly evil, it seems like she would be unable to use her Element of Harmony, so maybe that is evidence enough.  I'll admit to not having the best understanding of Equestria cosmology (not sure if anyone is), so feel free to correct me.  

On the topic of Matthew's weakness:   It would be interesting if self-hatred or loathing could trigger his weakness (like Steelheart's).  

Edge's point about the weakness kicking in whenever he attacks someone is a difficult to get around.  I think either you have to incorporate the "knowing him" requirement into the weakness itself, to avoid a two part weakness, OR you could say that the "Personal Hatred" weakness requires people to know who is attacking them.  If he targets people form out of sight in secret, then they have no way of knowing who is attacking them, and are unable to hate him specifically.  

I kind of like the second option, since it puts restrictions on how he uses his powers.  Despite being insanely powerful, he is forced to avoid open challenges and shows of power, and must instead attack from the shadows, and avoid letting anyone know his powers because it might lead them to discover he is behind the attacks.  

Considering Matthews weakness, don't you think that when someone attacks him and finds out he can't be hurt, the main emotion that shows up is fear, not hate? Not being able to hurt him does not seem to me like a very obvious reason to hate him.

And here is my attempt to represent his weakness in one sentence: he can be hurt only by someone who feels deeply rooted hatered for him. In my opinion that implies some degree of knowledge about his character and that there has to be a specific reason to hate him.

I was thinking about self-hatered and it is an imoortant scenario. He should lose at least some aspects of his invulnerability in such state.

Yahoo, new question. All surrender to the Pug of nights and the giggle fits created by the Obliteration grill. :P (Good job on that Twi.)

Considering Matthews weakness, don't you think that when someone attacks him and finds out he can't be hurt, the main emotion that shows up is fear, not hate? Not being able to hurt him does not seem to me like a very obvious reason to hate him.

And here is my attempt to represent his weakness in one sentence: he can be hurt only by someone who feels deeply rooted hatered for him. In my opinion that implies some degree of knowledge about his character and that there has to be a specific reason to hate him.

I was thinking about self-hatered and it is an imoortant scenario. He should lose at least some aspects of his invulnerability in such state.

Not really, emotions are complex enough that you can feel more than one at a time and fear and hatred are actually pretty close to each other.

I still see two problems for that for one "deeply rooted" is still a specification and one unheard of, given that weaknesses are rather superficial things everything considered, and there's the problem of partial weakness set of from just about everyone that knows him.

Specific weaknesses are not unheard of, if I remember correctly in Steelheart there is a mention of an epic who could be killed only if five persons shoot him at once. That is quite specific.

Five people at once, yes but that's still a quality equivalent to hating him and how specific it is isn't really the problem it's adding a second quality. The deep rooted addition would be the equivalent of all five having to use the exact same kind of gun or if it would only work if they (or didn't) coordinated their attack beforehand.

Well I missed the coming of a new thread so now I can't quote the last thread :(

To try to remember the posts I wanted to reply to, Salem would definitely be a good place for a Vanilla who thought he was an Epic, Soulcasters primary goal is to find amusement wherever he can and as was mentioned Salem does have a psychiatric hospital so it's certainly plausible. He might even be allowed into the Arena sometimes and bestowed with invisibility to foster his beliefs further.

On the weakness discussion I think that in terms of being an introvert the thing that would make the most sense is being singled out so perhaps his weakness could be that he can be harmed by anyone who considers him to be their biggest enemy. This would address most of the problems I think, it means people would have to know him personally and have a relatively good reason to hate him that much, it would also mean he'd have to be less careful around Epics (Who already have a lot of enemies) and more placating towards Vanillas, perhaps even going so far as to channel his corruption into a hatred of Epics specifically, protecting Vanillas to earn their trust.

On the subject of corruption I don't know that passive abilities do trigger it, Prof has two (Healing and strength) and even when he's gifted the healing he'd still have to deal with the corruption from the super strength.

Well I missed the coming of a new thread so now I can't quote the last thread :(

To try to remember the posts I wanted to reply to, Salem would definitely be a good place for a Vanilla who thought he was an Epic, Soulcasters primary goal is to find amusement wherever he can and as was mentioned Salem does have a psychiatric hospital so it's certainly plausible. He might even be allowed into the Arena sometimes and bestowed with invisibility to foster his beliefs further.

On the weakness discussion I think that in terms of being an introvert the thing that would make the most sense is being singled out so perhaps his weakness could be that he can be harmed by anyone who considers him to be their biggest enemy. This would address most of the problems I think, it means people would have to know him personally and have a relatively good reason to hate him that much, it would also mean he'd have to be less careful around Epics (Who already have a lot of enemies) and more placating towards Vanillas, perhaps even going so far as to channel his corruption into a hatred of Epics specifically, protecting Vanillas to earn their trust.

On the subject of corruption I don't know that passive abilities do trigger it, Prof has two (Healing and strength) and even when he's gifted the healing he'd still have to deal with the corruption from the super strength.

Dellusions and an imaginery world, sounds like a good fit. :ph34r:

That sounds like it would work yes, it also would make it so that it doesn't set of almost at random as long as he keeps a somewhat low profile and actually takes some work to be set of.

Except that Prof has to actively suppres even these passive powers to make sure he doesn't get corrupted, so unless Matthew can somehow turn his invulnerability off and does so constantly, the comparision doesn't really apply.

Dellusions and an imaginery world, sounds like a good fit. :ph34r:

That sounds like it would work yes, it also would make it so that it doesn't set of almost at random as long as he keeps a somewhat low profile and actually takes some work to be set of.

Except that Prof has to actively suppres even these passive powers to make sure he doesn't get corrupted, so unless Matthew can somehow turn his invulnerability off and does so constantly, the comparision doesn't really apply.

He never gifted strength to anyone IIRC, David only realized he had it in Firefight.

How is gifting connected to Prof showing the ability to supress his passive powers so he doesn't use them in the first place?

I don't remember him doing that either, but even if he can with healing it doesn't mean he can with the strength and if he can with both then I'd guess that all Epics can if they want to.

I personally don't think passive powers should count towards corruption, unless they are utilised.

For instance, invulnerability would only "count" as being used when it actually protects against damage- the more damage the more corruption. Same with super strength- throwing around heavy objects counts as using it.

It just doesn't make sense to me that passive powers induce corruption even when not utilised. It removes an Epic's ability to even mitigate the corruption. The way it us set up, theoretically any Epic can just stop using their powers and they will return to normal. Obviously it is more complicated than that, but the basic possibility is there, even if it requires unbelievable willpower.

If passive powers cause corruption though, that goes out the window.

I don't remember him doing that either, but even if he can with healing it doesn't mean he can with the strength and if he can with both then I'd guess that all Epics can if they want to.

He does hold back the healing, even ignoring how much stronger the healing he gifted David is than what we usually see from him, David outright says he holds back his healing. I can search out the passage for you later. On another note, Brandon has told us that even something like the danger sense tied to Obliteration's teleportation could be supressed by him in theory, although he hasn't learned that trick.

I personally don't think passive powers should count towards corruption, unless they are utilised.

For instance, invulnerability would only "count" as being used when it actually protects against damage- the more damage the more corruption. Same with super strength- throwing around heavy objects counts as using it.

It just doesn't make sense to me that passive powers induce corruption even when not utilised. It removes an Epic's ability to even mitigate the corruption. The way it us set up, theoretically any Epic can just stop using their powers and they will return to normal. Obviously it is more complicated than that, but the basic possibility is there, even if it requires unbelievable willpower.

If passive powers cause corruption though, that goes out the window.

I'd generally agree with you but the problem with the case of complete invulnerability like this is that it's an absolute you can't really divide into active or not active, it just is. For example it's constantly protecting him from lack of nutrition, UV-radiation and sickness in general, that's constant activity right there.