The Arrowverse

Quiver

Heavily agreed. All that this newly revealed healing tech does is removes any tension the show might have had. When Snart destroyed his hand to escape, my mind was blow. They guy whose only offensive prowess is a gun just lost his shooting hand? WHAAAAA!!!???

But it got replaced within minutes. Major let down, as him losing his hand would have left TONS of room for some character growth. Plus, since they're spending time in the future for the coming episode(s) anyways, he could get it healed there, and not necessarily on the ship. 

Exactly! He could have even gotten a cyborg hand, I would've been fine with that.

Arrow reaction

Loved Dhark( I feel bad about how often I say this, but he's just such a cool and evil villain), and loved the flashback. I'm thinking that was a hint at part of the flashbacks for next season and why Oliver learns Russian.

The Diggle brother arc....Meh. I was honestly hoping Oliver would be wrong about Andy, just because it would've forced him into some good character growth. As it was....meh, just your average betrayal by a family member.

Laral. Hmmmm. So I thought that her wanting to be DA was absolutely idiotic. Was I the only one?

Now, her dying, That was a shock. I did not see that coming. But it's not leaving much of an emotional impact, probably more from my long held dislike for her. I'm worried about Capt Lance...Poor guy :/

yes laurel died. that needed to happen early in season 3. I am so glad they finally decided to bump her off.

See I was actually starting to like her.  if you had asked me back in season 1 or 2, I'd be right there with you, but these past 2 seasons, they have written her a lot better (not perfect, but improving) to the point that I actually tend to like her when she shows up (see her snark to Ollie this episode about his secret keeping habits).  if they had to kill off one of the main arrow team, I agree that she was the right one, but I'm still a bit sad about it.

Legends this week was kind of meh for me. I actually started to dose off at one point, and while that's probably more due to me being tired from work and staying up late to finish a book the night before, it still says something about the episode's quality. I am very excited for next week, though. I've been waiting for

the Jonah Hex episode.

I was a little disappointed as well. There was So much Ray, Kendra and Carter, it just bogged the episode down. There wasn't nearly enough Snart and Chronos, and some extra Stein would've been great.

....I really wish Savage impressed me more, he's just so bland compared to Reverse Flash, Dhark, and Slade.

Exactly! He could have even gotten a cyborg hand, I would've been fine with that.

That could have been really cool. I think that this specific thread has been the best part of the show. It is honestly the only thing that makes me decided to watch. *hears something happens with Captain Cold this week* "Eh, I guess I'll watch another episode."

The techno-babble there was slightly frustrating. DNA is nice and all, but you need a lot more information to perfectly recreate someone's hand.

I was a little disappointed as well. There was So much Ray, Kendra and Carter, it just bogged the episode down. There wasn't nearly enough Snart and Chronos, and some extra Stein would've been great.

....I really wish Savage impressed me more, he's just so bland compared to Reverse Flash, Dhark, and Slade.

so much of this.  I like Ray fine, in any other context, but Kendra drags him down, and Carter is just the worst.  I mostly like what the arrowverse has going on with most of its characters, but the writers should sit down and watch a few hawkgirl centric episodes of Justice League/JLU and maybe rethink that character a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I caught up on the UK Arrow and Flash.

So, Laurel is in the grave? Allegedly. Considering she asked Oliver to "do something" right before the Death, I remain sceptical. We'll see if it sticks for the end of the season, and if it does, well... I will give my thoughts then.

As for Jay being Zoom...hmm. I can't decide if repeating the Thawne twist from last year is brilliant unexpected, or just repetitive. But as a Jay Garrick fan, kinda sad to see him go.

Also, super speed Charles Manson. What a terrifying concept. I kinda want to write about a speedster serial killer now though...

So....Flash.....Remind me again why all the characters are so stupid? I mean....Really, Barry just keeps being dumb or making huge mistakes, and the whole team is just cool with it. Really frustrates me.

Arrow: Give Lance and Diggle a hand! Those two were amazing, pure gold. If I had been a Laurel fan I might have liked the rest of the episode, but mostly I just enjoyed those two characters.

Legends: Dang it!

Storm it! Why does Carter have to come back?....Ughhhhhhhhh, Carter back and basically no Stein. That was awful.

Buuut, Ray's fight with the giant robot was cool and Snart had some pretty good stuff with Savage's daughter. Makes me wonder if she's a candidate to be a team member for the next season.

So yeah, I really struggled with this last episode. I was legit yelling at Kendra when she didn't kill Savage, and I'm just so done with her crap. I think if she and/or Carter comes back next season I'm just going to have to stop watching, their characters are just SO annoying to me.

So....Flash.....Remind me again why all the characters are so stupid? I mean....Really, Barry just keeps being dumb or making huge mistakes, and the whole team is just cool with it. Really frustrates me.

Arrow: Give Lance and Diggle a hand! Those two were amazing, pure gold. If I had been a Laurel fan I might have liked the rest of the episode, but mostly I just enjoyed those two characters.

Legends: Dang it!

Storm it! Why does Carter have to come back?....Ughhhhhhhhh, Carter back and basically no Stein. That was awful.

Buuut, Ray's fight with the giant robot was cool and Snart had some pretty good stuff with Savage's daughter. Makes me wonder if she's a candidate to be a team member for the next season.

So yeah, I really struggled with this last episode. I was legit yelling at Kendra when she didn't kill Savage, and I'm just so done with her crap. I think if she and/or Carter comes back next season I'm just going to have to stop watching, their characters are just SO annoying to me.

on legends:

the worst part about Kendra not killing Savage: carter reincarnates.  she knows this.  if this version of carter is brainwashed, the next one will be fine.  though even if he isnt: carter is terrible, he is honestly no worse as a brainwashed soldier than he was as his normal self.

on them bringing the hawk people back: I think that if the writers ever gave kendra any even halfway decent material to work with that she could be fine, but she has consistently gotten the worst lines and the worst plots episode after episode.  I don't want to judge her because the weaknesses are 90% or so in the writing, not the character or actress's fault if the writers can't write

Like Scott said, I loved Diggle and Lance in this recent episode. Way to make them feel so much more real!

Completely agreed on the Kendra front. You both summed up my thoughts perfectly. It's the killer who's been hunting you for eternity and you won't kill him because he brainwashed one version of your soulmate? He'll reincarnate in a couple years anyway.

So... I just saw Star City 2046.

Overall...actually kind of a disappointing episode. Maybe because it's the episode I was most excited for, so it fell short.

There is still some interesting stuff in it which I want to try and do a full analysis of, mostly the way it presents and interacts with the concept of legacy...but there is one thing I wanted to mention.

I like Conor Hawke. I actually think the episode should have focused more on him as a character, rather than as a McGuffin. But...I thought the John Diggle Jr reveal was...odd.

Mostly just because in Arrow, John has a daughter. Sure, we can assume Sara Diggle died/evacuated with the rest of the city, but it's still kind of an oversight that she wasn't mentioned at all...

So...my headcanon:

Connor Hawke is a transman; as in, Sara identified as male and transitioned at some point before Grant Wilson's invasion.

A headcanon that will, no doubt, be debunked by Dig having a son at some point but for now?/I'm gonna go with it as my plot hole patch.

So... I just saw Star City 2046.

Overall...actually kind of a disappointing episode. Maybe because it's the episode I was most excited for, so it fell short.

There is still some interesting stuff in it which I want to try and do a full analysis of, mostly the way it presents and interacts with the concept of legacy...but there is one thing I wanted to mention.

I like Conor Hawke. I actually think the episode should have focused more on him as a character, rather than as a McGuffin. But...I thought the John Diggle Jr reveal was...odd.

Mostly just because in Arrow, John has a daughter. Sure, we can assume Sara Diggle died/evacuated with the rest of the city, but it's still kind of an oversight that she wasn't mentioned at all...

So...my headcanon:

Connor Hawke is a transman; as in, Sara identified as male and transitioned at some point before Grant Wilson's invasion.

A headcanon that will, no doubt, be debunked by Dig having a son at some point but for now?/I'm gonna go with it as my plot hole patch.

most disappointing part of that episode: that old man makeup is terrible

Latest episode of The Flash:

Do we potentially have two new speedsters to take Barry's place until he's brought back from whatever happened? Wally West and Jesse Quick are speedsters in the comics (Jesse can fly and has super strength too).

jW

I'ms till playing catch-up, so this is more about the Arrowverse as a fandom.

Would anyone be itnerested in some MCUCW crossover fiction?

Been thinking about it in the wake of the latest film and... kinda have some scenes./ideas I'd like to write. Just curious if there's an audience for that type of thing.

the flash

I thought they would be speedsters too but now I am unsure if they will be. they were not hit by lightning and didn't have the chemicals in their body that Barry did when he got the speed force. if it turns out that they are speedsters I would like to see them give their speed to Barry to help him take down zoom, especially since he has sacrificed himself for both of them a couple times already. But Barry needs to get out of the speed force and back to earth 1 first.

Edited by Matrim Bloody Cauthon

They are almost definitely going to be speedsters. Wally was the Flash for a long time in the comics, and Jesse Quick was a speedster, too. The chemicals in Barry's blood/getting struck by lightning are what connected him to the speed force. It looks like they got directly bathed in it when Barry disintegrated into pure speed force or whatever that was supposed to be. They wouldn't necessarily need the chemical and lightning intermediaries.

Flash and Legends got better this week! That's great :D
Flash

So....Barry's time in the speed force was really good. Really good. I felt like it helped me get over a lot of the issues I've been having with the show and Barry for the past month or two. I wish they'd taken it further though. I wish the Force had made him confront how awful a decision it was to save Wally by sacrificing his powers. If it had done that, I think the show would have completely redeemed itself in my eyes. As it stands....Well, it's on better footing, but not great yet. Joe asking Wally about experiencing any "changes" was beautiful hahahahhaha

Arrow!!!!

YESYESYESYES! So good, so very very good. I wasn't sure what was going on between Lance and Felicity's mom at first, but that arc developed Very well in that episode. MOAR flashback!
Ahem.. So....I guess I kind of remember the kid with the burnt face...He tried to kidnap Dhark's kid right? Ehh, So maybe that was weak. But I'm hoping it'll get better as it continues next week.

Legends

Wait! So there's a reason Rip SUCKS at being a captain? Ohhhh. I almost feel better about that now.
Jax and Stein had good material, excellent. Mick got real dark with that skull squishing, was a different tone for the show. Almost zero Kendra and Carter, so that has me happy.
Thanagarians! So I'm guessing that'll be the conflict in the next season, and it honestly sounds like a great idea. It's a story I'm familiar with, although not without the Justice League. I'm hoping that Hawkgirl won't continue on to fight in the second season, even if the story traditionally has her being a major component of it.

I really love this twist on the Time Masters being in league with Savage, it makes a lot of sense, and just feels right.

I....I almost lost it when Snart died. :( My favorite character....The explosion should've been bigger.....both because the character deserved it and science wise.

I'd be shipping Sarah/Snart so hard right now if he hadn't died.....sigh. Well played, well played. Wish Ray could've just died. Or Kendra. Even Mick, that would've worked well too.

So yeah, Legends has maybe finally maybe gotten as good as I'd been hoping for it to get!

my one problem with the thanagarians is it inevitably means more hawkpeople.  if they drop carter and let kendra cut loose a little bit, that could be ok.  I have a lot of leftover love for hawkgirl from JLU, so I really want to like her here, and I still think she could be recovered, but I don't know that I have faith in the writers' ability to do that.  just getting her away from vandal savage should help.  completely excising carter should help more.  and maybe avoiding a romance until/unless the actress has actual chemistry with someone.  actually, best just avoid romance entirely.  I have even less faith in the writers' ability to do a romance correctly.

on other notes (additional spoiler because it is outside knowledge):

apparently wentworth miller has a contract for flash and legends as a recurring role next season, so i'm betting that snart'll get better.  presumably through time travel shenanigans.

unrelated to all that, apparently supergirl was renewed for a second season, but is moving to CW.  not sure how that is going to work out.  personally, I'd like to see them do what someone referred to as a soft reboot: just essentially restart the show in earth 1, ignoring the first season/accepting that it happened in a different universe.  this has the benefit of dropping one of the more noticeable problems the show had to begin with: superman.  in earth 1 he just isn't an entity, so the constant comparisons and references just don't happen.

So Supergirl on CW, that's cool, also kind of crazy, I mean...four Super shows on one network? That's intense.

Flash

Way too much pseudo science.... I appreciate it when there's real science in tv, but science blather is meh. Barry's dad dying was great! I really hope that Barry gets his head out of his chull and learns to balance out his responsibilities, own well being, and self confidence. Because he is Really immature right now, and I really want to see him try and grow like Oliver has

Arrow

Good episode, good setup, didn't love the Smoak family issues but it was appropriate. I really love Darkh as a villain....

I love how they set him up so that Now he just wants to see the world burn. Having a villain start out like that is boring, but this was done fantastically!

Now....I'm sorry, but shouldn't there have been a bigger panic about a huge area of land collapsing? Cause that looked worse than the undertaking to me, but it seemed like team arrow wasn't freaking out very much.

Legends

I literally shouted out in joy when Kendra and Carter said they weren't joining the team! I'm a little sad that Rip didn't just die, I would've loved for his mom to come in next season as the new captain. I just honestly can't imagine a better person to be captain.

The whole meteorites, time resetting, Firestorm new ability....um, that was just bad writing. They seriously couldn't have put some more foreshadowing in for some of that? That really disappointed me.

Well, I'll be excited for season two. Hopefully the writers will be better and keep the good while ditching the mediocre. I still feel like this show has really good potential but just hasn't lifted off yet.

Also, Firestorm and Sara are staying! Thank goodness.

So Supergirl on CW, that's cool, also kind of crazy, I mean...four Super shows on one network? That's intense.

Flash

Way too much pseudo science.... I appreciate it when there's real science in tv, but science blather is meh. Barry's dad dying was great! I really hope that Barry gets his head out of his chull and learns to balance out his responsibilities, own well being, and self confidence. Because he is Really immature right now, and I really want to see him try and grow like Oliver has

Arrow

Good episode, good setup, didn't love the Smoak family issues but it was appropriate. I really love Darkh as a villain....

I love how they set him up so that Now he just wants to see the world burn. Having a villain start out like that is boring, but this was done fantastically!

Now....I'm sorry, but shouldn't there have been a bigger panic about a huge area of land collapsing? Cause that looked worse than the undertaking to me, but it seemed like team arrow wasn't freaking out very much.

Legends

I literally shouted out in joy when Kendra and Carter said they weren't joining the team! I'm a little sad that Rip didn't just die, I would've loved for his mom to come in next season as the new captain. I just honestly can't imagine a better person to be captain.

The whole meteorites, time resetting, Firestorm new ability....um, that was just bad writing. They seriously couldn't have put some more foreshadowing in for some of that? That really disappointed me.

Well, I'll be excited for season two. Hopefully the writers will be better and keep the good while ditching the mediocre. I still feel like this show has really good potential but just hasn't lifted off yet.

Also, Firestorm and Sara are staying! Thank goodness.

Huh. I really liked the Legends finale. I want next season to be Firestorm, Sara, Cold, Ray and two new people.

I'm still making my way through Arrow, Flash and Legends (since we're a few weeks behind)... and the UK hasn't even finished airing season 1 of Supergirl yet.

Supergirl's move to CW is interesting though, and I do wonder how they'll play that. Keep her as a separate world in the multiverse? Have Kara land in the Arrowverse, and angst about not being able to get home, Power Girl-style? Straight-up Arrowverse!Kara reboot?

The interesting thing is, in the Arrowverse, there is no Superman. Barry plays the Superman role as the "inspiring hero" figure... which means Kara would have a very interesting situation if she moved to that universe. She is literally out of her cousin's shadow, since... he doesn't exist on this Earth. 

Which, as I understand it, would be a drastic improvement for her. I haven't watched Supergirl, but the whole Superman thing is one of the biggest problems I hear from people about the show/writing.