The Arrowverse

Quiver

How I felt at the end of the Arrow episode of the crossover:

AZau1ef.png

Yeah...I don't understand his reasoning....no way it's gonna turn out well. Although I guess that's the point of Legends of Tomorrow.

There were parts of last night's episode that I really liked.

Barry going back in time again was fantastic! I mostly liked Oliver with his kid, although I think he's an idiot for not telling Felicity. Again. I thought Thea's little comment about a bunch of supers hiding out at a farmhouse was pretty funny. I was kinda surprised Ray didn't get involved, although I guess that would've been one too many people to keep up with.

What I didn't like. Hawkman. Hawkgirl's origin. Savage's weird kinda infatuation with Hawkgirl. Having a mystic origin for them just felt really lame to me. I'd have liked a more sciency story, which admittedly they did leave open as someone mentioned. I feel bad for Cisco too. I mean, if he was right about what kind of person Hawkgirl is, than why does she go of with Hawkman? Just felt wrong.

I'm seriously hyped for next week's Flash though. Mark Hamil coming back? Please!!!! Might have been the most exciting part of watching last night's episode.

Yeah...I don't understand his reasoning....no way it's gonna turn out well. Although I guess that's the point of Legends of Tomorrow.

Barry going back in time again was fantastic! I mostly liked Oliver with his kid, although I think he's an idiot for not telling Felicity. Again. I thought Thea's little comment about a bunch of supers hiding out at a farmhouse was pretty funny. I was kinda surprised Ray didn't get involved, although I guess that would've been one too many people to keep up with.

What I didn't like. Hawkman. Hawkgirl's origin. Savage's weird kinda infatuation with Hawkgirl. Having a mystic origin for them just felt really lame to me. I'd have liked a more sciency story, which admittedly they did leave open as someone mentioned. I feel bad for Cisco too. I mean, if he was right about what kind of person Hawkgirl is, than why does she go of with Hawkman? Just felt wrong.

I'm seriously hyped for next week's Flash though. Mark Hamil coming back? Please!!!! Might have been the most exciting part of watching last night's episode.

Seriously, it's like Merlyn can't help but be villainous. And after he threatened Oliver for endangering Thea, you want to revive the Immortal?!!? Ugh.

I didn't mind the Hawks' origin. I was definitely surprised to see Hawkman himself, as I thought it would just be Hawkgirl (from both the Legends trailers, and the future article on Flash last season), but it worked. I wish they managed to make their bodies react more birdlike than they did during flight, because it was clear they were just using wires, and the sheer lack of any kind of mace outside of the short scene was...sad. Otherwise I liked the two parter. I'm very curious as to what will happen to Patty, since Arrow really ignored her completely.

I really don't like Hawkman. He seems like such a douchey dudebro. The resolution to the complications with Kendra and Cisco was super lame. Admittedly, it was totally expected. That's just what characters do on this show. Barry's dad gets out of prison? Time to travel. New Firestorm member? Time to travel. 

As for the Ollie's son story, I thought that the way the characters behaved was completely idiotic. Sure, it makes sense that the mother wouldn't want the whole thing to be public knowledge, since the last mayoral candidate had her daughter kidnapped to scare her out of the race. So, yes, tell Ollie it has to be a closely guarded secret, but it's ridiculous to say that he has to hide it from his own family. At least his girlfriend, who he is planning to marry, has a right to know.

Of course, her reaction in the overwritten timeline was pretty stupid, too. "I'm breaking up with you because you don't trust me!" Um, okay. Oliver just found out that he's had a son for the past 9 years that no one thought he should know about, and he is also in the middle of planning a very dangerous assault on an immortal with mystical powers. Is that really the time to be ending a relationship? Even if this particular secret is the straw that broke the camel's back, surely she could wait to have that conversation until after the evil immortal situation was resolved. Looks like the lack of trust, real or imagined, was totally justified.

Finally, when the timeline gets rewritten and Felicity doesn't know anymore, Oliver decides to go along with baby mama's unreasonable conditions. You know I would have done? Told her anyway. The mother is putting him in a situation where he will have to be dishonest with someone. Personally, I would prefer to be dishonest with the woman I haven't seen in a good decade than my current partner.

Merlyn's reasoning, while not that great, at least kinda makes sense. He thinks that if he can bring back Savage, the Immortal will owe him his life. He's making allies, powerful allies. Or at least attempting to. 

I loved Savage's first scene at the dock, that was awesome! The side characters(Diggle, Laurel, Patty, Joe) didn't get much time in these episodes, but I really liked them overall. Much more than last season's attempt. 

I understand Oliver's reasoning for not telling Felicity and I'm kinda glad he kept that in the revised timeline. I was really interested to see how they'd work it out, then Barry went and changed it, but now it's back. I don't understand William's mother's need for secrecy from Felicity and Thea, but I can empathize just a bit. She's been keeping her son separate from his father for 9 years. She knows that Oliver won't be the best influence on him(at least past Ollie) and now that she sees that Oliver is different, she still doesn't want to thrust her son into a new world where his mother has been lying to him for his entire life. Ollie is running for mayor and a secret son isn't the best PR for him either. 

Oliver needs to keep Felicity in the dark if he wants to help his son whatsoever, and he will do that as best he can. He won't like lying to felicity, not one bit, but his son having his father in his life is of utmost importance to him. 

So, I was rewatching the most recent Arrow episode in the UK- the one right before the crossover?- and it made me realize something that I love abut this season, which I have never really seen anyone talk about. Granted, it's an extension of something from the (polarising) season three, but still...

Anyway: Laurel's fighting style.

I love the fact that, on a show with a bunch of non-powered characters using similar weapons, the producers have managed to make the main characters fighting styles fairly distinct from one another. But I think the best part of that ahs been Laurel, because, over the past season and a half, watching her skills develop has been a (subtly hidden) joy to watch.

Throughout season three, Laurel's fighting is exceptionally clumsy, particularly if you compare her to Sara. A lot of the time, when she swings with her batons(?) she does so with this awkward, two-handed grip, like she's swinging a baseball bat. Anytime Oliver told her that she couldn't go out and fight crime because she wans't ready, I believed it... because she was not a good fighter. Competent, maybe, but not even close to the standards of the rest of Team Arrow.

She still isn't - of course she isn't, she hasn't been trained by Ra's al Ghul, or the military, or Deathstroke- but every episode that has her as the Black Canary, you can see her getting better. She's still the worst fighter of the group, and she doesn't have the same elegance that they do; I think it's kinda important that - unlike Ollie, Thea and Dig- we don't really see her mixing it up with people for extended periods in close-quarter combat. She get's strong hits in, and takes them down as quickly as possible, because she isnt a trained fighter, and her trying to fight the way Oliver does - parrying, blocking, countering- probably isn't going to turn out too well for her.

(Which is an added reason for the canary scream. She doesn't need her hands to acivate it, so if she is in a melee or restrained, she just shouts and BAM. Opening for her.)

Oliver needs to keep Felicity in the dark if he wants to help his son whatsoever, and he will do that as best he can. He won't like lying to felicity, not one bit, but his son having his father in his life is of utmost importance to him. 

Or he can just tell her and say that she isn't supposed to know and can't ever let it get out, or it will mess everything up for him. That's what I would do. I mean, she's basically telling him he has to lie to Felicity. I'd be like, "Uh huh. Right. Except I'm gonna lie to you instead because Felicity is more important."

Or he can just tell her and say that she isn't supposed to know and can't ever let it get out, or it will mess everything up for him. That's what I would do. I mean, she's basically telling him he has to lie to Felicity. I'd be like, "Uh huh. Right. Except I'm gonna lie to you instead because Felicity is more important."

this seems like the reasonable solution, I think. especially considering they live in different cities. there is very little chance that Felicity would ever actually meet with the mother (i've already forgotten her name). that said, if he told felicity and she ever did meet with the mother (and knowing this show, it would happen) I'm not sure how well she'd be abl to keep the secret.

So, that's where they are leaving them for Christmas? Good episodes, but I preferred the Flash.

As for Arrow...

Is that Felicity dead? If so, I have to hand it to the showrunners. I never suspected for a moment that they would kill off Felicity, she just seemed to be too popular with the fans. Also, you'd have thought Barry would have been a little more tearful at Felicity's funeral.

Given that it happened at the very end of the episode, and was just left hanging, I think she will somehow survive, and that it was a red herring when it comes to who is in the grave.

I personally feel it's definitely a red herring. I don't think this show has ever been that straightforward about anything before, and I doubt they'll start now.

I'm surprised at how tame the Flash's end was. Was that the last episode before the break? Considering the reputation these show runners have earned for having extremely severe cliff-hangers, Flash just completely lacked a bang.

I've been really busy, so I've only just now caught up on the last episode of Flash.

Hmmm, fun, but a little underwhelming I guess. It feels like it's trying to set stuff up even more, and I just feel like we've been doing that for ages, can we finally see it play out?

I'm 100% sure it's a red herring. For one, there is still the Ollie has a son drama that needs to happen; which doesn't work without Felicity. for another, it has been pointed out to that the dates don't quite match up for it to be Felicity. it's been 3 months since the series opener, btu the grave scene from that episode apparently had a "6 months later" tag to it.

my money is either on Lance or on Oliver's son and/or said son's mother (still don't remember her name).

Edited by Dunkum

Caught up on Arrow

Y'all have discussed enough spoilers open I don't think I'm gonna bother ;)

Damien doing really well again, maybe a little too upbeat, but it fit the ending well. Someone really needs to order an air strike on him though. I guess that's true of most villains, but still.

Oliver/Felicity was fantastic! Although them arguing about protection, yet again, right after Laurel and Lance?...Kinda getting tired of it. Find a different part of your relationship to figure out!

Diggle, ehh, okay.

Thea, erm, guess not much screen time, her fighting was good though.

The fact that The Evil Plan is finally getting in gear is cool, although it kinda feels like it's a re skin of Merlyn's evil plan. I'm interested in how Damien's family(?) factors into it.

Also, can I just say I really enjoy how they've worked Curtis and the Flash police captain in? I feel like they've done a good job of introducing those two character as characters, but also as gay. It feels more like Sanderson trying to explore how to incorporate them than just as a tributary or comedic character. I never felt that with Ras's daughter, that always felt weird and off, but I like Curtis.

I kinda liked how Curtis and his husband were shown in this past episode. he comes in and introduces the man with him as his husband, and it is just normal. felicity is awkward, but it is normal felicity awkward not can't-handle-gay-marriage awkward. the fact that the show doesn't bother to make a big deal out of it feels like a real step forward, as compared to tv shows in the 90s where the only reason a character would be gay is so you could do a main character learns to accept gay people storyline.

• 1 month later...

When is Legends premiering?

Thursday. This group who makes these shows officially has a hold on four days of the week.

Monday - Supergirl

Tuesday - Flash

Wednesday - Arrow

Thursday - Legends of Tomorrow

Now all we need is for _____* to get their own show for Fridays.

*Supergirl Spoilers

Martian Manhunter

Nooooo!!!! Paaaattyy don't leave :( you're so much more interesting than iris...

And Wells...that was good. Good flair.

So I guess Eobard/Reverse Flash is coming next week? That should be interesting. Answer some of the questions I brought up earlier.

Nooooo!!!! Paaaattyy don't leave :( you're so much more interesting than iris...

And Wells...that was good. Good flair.

So I guess Eobard/Reverse Flash is coming next week? That should be interesting. Answer some of the questions I brought up earlier.

as dissapointing as that was, at least it resolves the ongoing "patty doesn't know Barry is the flash" conflict.  that was just about the least interesting plot line they had going on, and it qas getting more and more frustrating every week.

Thursday. This group who makes these shows officially has a hold on four days of the week.

Monday - Supergirl

Tuesday - Flash

Wednesday - Arrow

Thursday - Legends of Tomorrow

Now all we need is for _____* to get their own show for Fridays.

*Supergirl Spoilers

Martian Manhunter

Too bad Supergirl isn't in the same universe. That would be really cool.

And speaking of disappointing things about the Arrowverse, apparently Constantine's one guest appearance is going to be it. There were rumors going around that he might be part of the ensemble in the second season of Legends of Tomorrow.

Oh, well. At least we're gonna crazy stuff like Jonah Hex on Legends.