The Arrowverse

Quiver

I'm very pleased with all 4 shows, with my only major gripe is the handling of Kara's love life in Supergirl.

I mean, to have spent so much of last season building up to her and James, throwing it away immediately feels incredibly wasteful. Not that I'm upset about it, as the romance felt forced, but it's weird to see the new set of writers (I believe they are new?) blatantly trashing an idea of the old writers.

The largest improvement from last season is probably Legends, so far. Carrying over two major villains from the other shows is a very cool idea, provides those actors more air time, and brings many serious implications for the universe going forward.

I'll admit, though, that I am a bit disappointed with the very small effect Flashpoint actually had on the shows other than Flash. Changing John's kid is fine and all (though weird for those only watching Arrow), but for the show whose premise is time travel to not have any mention or changes due to one of the other shows having a major time travelling event seems like weak communication between the shows' crews.

I also wish Flashpoint had been more than one episode...

5 hours ago, Blaze1616 said:

The largest improvement from last season is probably Legends, so far. Carrying over two major villains from the other shows is a very cool idea, provides those actors more air time, and brings many serious implications for the universe going forward.

especially since one of those people is Neil Mcdonough, who was basically the best part of Arrow last season.  Also potential spoilers/part speculation:

Spoiler

From what I understand, John Barrowman/Malcolm Merlyn will probably be joining them to some extent.  he hasn't been fitting very well on Arrow the last few seasons, but he was great season 1, so i hope he'll be just as good here.

Alright, so my review for this week's episodes

Flash: That was a very strong episode. Kaitlyn's struggle with her relationship with her mum was trope ish, but I think it'll help set up later developments well. I loved how the anti-meta feelilngs are being explored in Julian and with the episode villain. 

Arrow: Well shucks. The growth inside of team arrow is good, I like Diggle and Wild Dog's relationship. Artemis desperately needs some attention. I'm really sad with the death at the end of the episode, just cause I wish that that character could have stuck around until at least midseason. On the other hand, he didn't have much more to add to the story, so maybe it's best this way. 

Legends: So, if you take this episode as kind of a goofy halloween episode, then it's a bunch of fun and great. Stein was good, and the interplay between both Sara/Citizen Steel, and Jax/Vixen were fantastic. Mick reaching out to Ray at the end of the episode had me standing up and cheering. They've been building towards that relationship since last midseason ish, and it is seriously rewarding. 

I thought there was some cheap historicaly appropriation. Grant was a waaaaay more interesting and gruffer person, so it felt cheap to see him made so bland. The slavery...Legends of tomorrow is a very bright, happy, upbeat show. American slavery was anything but. There was no way for one episode to do the subject justice, especially while staying in the family friendly area. So maybe I take issue with them doing it, or doing it badly, but there were limits on how deep they could go and so in the end, it felt cheap to me. 

Does anyone mind if I review the episodes of Gotham I'm on while I'm at it? 

Okay, Mad Hatter needs to go. His presence drags the show down quicker than Fish did. Hurry up and end this storyline. Where were Bruce and Selina and Alfred? All that time spent on Jim and Jervis, no resolution, and no Selina or Alfred??? C'mon, that's just not cool. 

Penguin falling in love with Riddler.... Umm... It could work. It fits Penguin's character. I just don't know how they're gonna play this one out...

So far this season isn't nearly as fun as season two...But hey, only a fourth in, maybe it'll get better. 

Flash, Arrow and Supergirl UK have done their second episodes, while Legends started last night. I haven't seen Legends yet, and I need to watch the last... seven or so episodes of Supergirl.

As for Flash and Arrow, though...

Flash was alright. Wish the Rival had a better suit, but I'm excited to see a non-speedster villain this year. Though

From what I understand, they producers are bringing in Savitar later this year? Which... I can see how to idea of a speed force cult would be an interesting one to explore. But after Reverse-Flash (who is still an active presence) and Zoom, I'd like to see the writers flex some creative muscles and make non-speedster villains threatening.

Jay was awesome, though. It was a quirk turnaround from "He can never know he is my father's doppleganger!" to, "Hi, I'm your not!dad!", but still. Shipp has much more screen presence, charisma and impact as Jay than he did as Henry... though, admittedly, my feelings on Henry Allen as "father of the year" might be influencing that opinion.

Sara becoming John was annoying, even if I really liked Conor last year. 

As for Arrow, though? Another good episode, albeit with some odd parts. Like, how did Oliver suit up so quickly off-screen at the medical event? Since the CEO got away, does that mean the city is still on the hook for millions of dollars?

I really liked Blackthorne's portrayal of Captain Lance though; you could tell the second he walked into the room that the guy was drunk, without going the stereotypical slurring stumbling. I'm also finding myself liking the reduced Felicity presence this year; she works better as a supporting chaarcter than a main one. 
Curtis had a quick turn around on the vigilante thing but hey, if it gets him into a Fairplay jacket, I'm all for it. Mister Terrific is kind of a cool guy.

I admit, I do find myself torn on the Laurel death still. I like the motivation for this series, and I think Ollie putting together a team of heroes is a fantastic idea. I like the fact that Laurel caused that. But as I've said elsewhere, she had so much development over the third and fourth seasons that I really wanted her to win. Green Arrow and Black Canary teaming up to train the new recruits might have been too many cast members, but it would have been so very cathartic. Still, Iguess they're doing the best with what they have.

(I said the same thing last year, though, so I don't want to be too positive. Season 4 was kind of awful on the whole, so.... yeah. Cautious optimism still)  

That first episode of Legends was...really awkward.

Wait, let me back up.

I liked stuff in it.It's much goofier in it's premise, which isn't a bad thing; a team of superheroes hunting down time pirates doesn't need to be serious. And, with that being the case, I'd argue that Damien Darkh will fit in a lot better than he did on Arrow (since season 4 veered towards being too bright, campy and comic book at times). But...

But man, the episode structure was strange. Why was Oliver involved if he wasn't going to do anything? Why did they skip over Hourman's cliffhanger from last year?

It feels like a reboot of the show concept, which...again, not a bad thing! Season one was flawed (with potential), so calling a do-over? I'm cool with that. I just wish the script was stronger.

And, I suppose, I'm amazed that Barry still hasn't cameo'd yet, but Oliver got both pilots. It maybe goes against the lesson Barry learned this year, but I think I would have preferred if he got the guest appearance slot instead of Oliver.

(Actually, I think my preferred solution would be to have Barry and Nate run through time to collect the Legends, doling out the mystery of their separation that way, but whatever. would have been cool foreshadowing of Eobard, too.)

Still, solid fight choreography. Ray remains adorkable, and I love him. Sara is still awesome, and I love her. Mick is still Mick. So...the episode was okay. Maybe my least favorite of the three premieres this year, but whatever. The appearance of the Justice Society has my attention.

23 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I think I would have preferred if they had drawn out the whole collect all the team members thing just a little bit longer during that first episode.  it was definitely very awkward, but it was also fun, so I can forgive it some of its flaws

Fun overcomes a lot of problems. I'm curious to see why Thawne is teaming up with Darkh though.

...also. Arrow AU fic idea:

Oliver arrived at the end of season one just in time to save Laurel...and died saving Tommy.

Tommy Merlyn decides to take up Oliver's mantle, struggling with a team (and a city) that views him as the son of a supervillain by day, while trying to make himself into the hero Starling City needs now that Oliver is gone.

Weekly Review Time!

Arrow: 

Spoiler

Hmm... Not bad. Felicity is much much stronger returning as a side character. I think this is the first episode where I really realized how much better off the show is this way. Artemis got some lines this time! Aaaaand. Ehh, not that interesting so far. Great actress I think, but her material isn't to par. The riot in the beginning of the episode was a great idea, I loved it, although the guys shooting their guns just looked stupid. 

Anyone else feeling like Prometheus is Tommy back from the dead? I mean..really? A guy with problems with Oliver from the first seasonwho happens to have a dad who has access to a corrupted Lazerous pit and can give ninja training? I'm not saying that Merlin necessarily has anything to do with it, but I do think Tommy is Prometheus. 

Legends: 

Spoiler

Stein V Stein= Beautiful

Ray trying to be colonel Cold with rebuttal = beautiful

Plot line moving forward in a somewhat effective way=pretty

JSA subplot....blehhhhhh

Eighties references were lacking. 

I haven't caught up with Gotham, but I think the Hatter storyline is supposed to Finally wrap up, so that'll be good. 

I am so mad at comic book resources.

I use it for comic book news. Mostly, I can avoid spoilers (or only spoil to my own degree of choice).

Today, though, they had a great big banner on the fro t page:

Is Quintin Lance Prometheus?

SO. I guess that's a thing. Would have been cool to see in show...

1 hour ago, Quiver said:

I am so mad at comic book resources.

I use it for comic book news. Mostly, I can avoid spoilers (or only spoil to my own degree of choice).

Today, though, they had a great big banner on the fro t page:

Hide contents

Is Quintin Lance Prometheus?

SO. I guess that's a thing. Would have been cool to see in show...

That stinks :/ I think it was just a cliffhanger twist that was written ambiguously just for fan theories to last till next week. I won't spoil anymore for you, but...idk, I didn't think it was a huge deal unless taken out of context like you got it. 

This week's reviews:

Flash

Spoiler

It seemed like it was gonna be a really good episode, but there's stuff that bothers me. We barely know Dr. Alchemy, like, basically none at all. But they're already introducing an Ultron/Transformer looking speedster? I mean, for one, I thought this season was supposed to fix the enemy speedster problem. For another, I don't see why on earth you would introduce the speedster now. Dr. Alchemy hasn't been close to played out, and since they introduced him right before the cross over event there's no way we're gonna get some progress on this plot. Gurrrr. 
Good parts: HR being awkward in so many wonderful ways. Caitlin's powers being in the open. Wally's development. 
One last issue: Obviously Caitlin has this self fulfilling mind set for becoming Killer Frost, and it could be really good. What I would love to see is like some actual depth to her conflict though, some real exploring of the psychology behind self fulfilling prophecies. 

Arrow

Spoiler

So yeah, great episode. Thea and Quintin were fantastic! People in Arrow actually talked to each other and solved the issues! *Mind Explodes*
Heck yeah! That's why Artemis hasn't gotten any time, she's a bad guy. I was genuinely surprised at that twist. 
The vigilante didn't really interest me that much, I mean, there wasn't even a cool choreographed fight. 
Wild Dog and Diggle bonding, good stuff. 
Does anyone find Kurtis really annoying? I can't really get behind him as a vigilante, and he doesn't work very well helping Felicity either, so...can he just go? 

Legends

Spoiler

What happened to my Ray/Mick bromance?!?!?! I adored that...ALthough Ray and Steel had pretty great chemistry too. 
Solid episode all around, and Jonah's interactions with Sarah were wonderful. 
Prof Stein...Poor guy. Talk about regretting the things your younger self does. I hope it gets resolved well and doesn't get left hanging, much like how Stein left Clarissa to go time traveling....  

So I'm quitting on Gotham again. The last episode I watched legit felt like a Fan-fiction, and not a good one. If I hear that the season get's better I might return, but not right now. 

Thats the thing about this season of legends.  pretty much everyone in the cast has great chemistry with pretty much everyone else.  ray/mick is something they were building last season a bit and it continues working, ray/nate being dorks was fun, ray/stein nerding out over einstein and physics is fun, sara/anyone is always great...I guess Jax doesn't really add anything, but the worst I can say about him is that he is alright.  I don't hate him, just dont like him nearly as much as Sara or Mick or anyone else really.

I am going to try and catch up on the other shows before the mega-crossover.  not sure I have the time for that, but I am going to try.

So...is it just me, or does the timeline not make any sense between these shows now?

- Arrow jumped ahead a few months between seasons, as usual. No problem there.

- Legends is time travel, but the present day showed Mayor Queen. So, presumably, the present at part of the pilot happened within a similar time frame to Arrow. Okay.

- Barry spent three months in Flashpoint...then he went back to the night he defeated Zoom. So doesn't that mean he "should" be three months behind the other shows?

Nitpicking I know, but still.:P

Finally started season two of Supergirl:

- Five minutes in, and I already like this Clark. He says lickety-split without sounding sarcastic or corny.

- Rescuing the Venture is a cool callback to saving the plane from the first pilot.

- I should have learned the actors names; is Lucy still co-Director of the DEO? Hoping she is and just hasn't appeared yet.

Well the crossover is over! Spoilers galore below :)

Spoiler

I'm not sure how to review it since I normally review the shows individually, but I guess I'll give it a go. 

I skipped the tiny bit of the super girl episode, it didn't sound like it was important and I just can't get behind the writing for show. Flash was....seriously weak. Everyone's hating on Barry, and while it kinda makes sense, it also feels forced, and the resolution felt even more forced. Kara seems really cool when she's on this earth, I enjoyed her being a part of the crossover even if I don't like her show very much. 

So at the start, the Dominators seem like very dumb and bland aliens. If they really want to take out the earth or at least the meta-humans, why are they so bad at it? They don't seem to be nearly as technologically advanced as they should be. They're clearly very scared of the meta-humans, but their best plan seems doomed to fail. I mean really? You're going to use a meteorite against an earth equipped with a ton of meta-humans? Supergirl, Firestorm, Atom, Vibe, and a couple of the villains all could've handled that I think. 

So, anyway, the villains were....bleh. Their motivation was okay, but their methods and fear factor were awful. 

So evil government guy who hates meta-humans is just going to vanish? Whyyyyyyy, he could be great for a reocurring anti villain in the Flash. 

John Barrowman finally appears in the Arrow episode. Yay!! 

Ragman gets to include some religion in the shows, I like that. For all the shows diversity, it's kind of odd that some religions can't appear. I don't expect christianity in general, but Judaism, Islam, and maybe some eastern religions could all fit in great. 

Firestorm can transmute things? Oh yeah, I guess that was a thing. That power's been so neglected I forgot about it. 

Are there some serious time traveling plot holes going on or is it just me? Like, they saved the alien, which they said caused the follow up invasion, but they wouldn't have saved the alien if it weren't for the invasion. Future Barry warns against past Barry, but could only have done so if he'd survived the invasion, so he should have known better than to send a warning. Those are the two big ones I noticed. 

Prof. Stein doesn't see his daughter as real. Than decides that because she can science she's awesome and he loves her? Wow....that's ouch... 

Oliver and Sara get to hang out a bit. THE BEST!!!! 
Also, I am a bit confused. Where is Speedy right now? Did she end up making it back to earth okay? 

So the Legends episode was definitely the strongest, although the Arrow one was pretty decent. On the whole though, I didn't like the crossover very much and would've preffered several smaller crossover episodes. 

I am REALLY looking forward to the midseason finales though, or at least Arrow's and Legends'. Snart's back!!!!! And I'm really crossing my fingers that we'll find out who the Black Arrow is, and that I'm right and it's Tommy or Roy( Roy's actor is doing better now right? I really miss him being on the show). 

Flash.....Gosh....Iris is just being such a butthole, Savatar was revealed too soon and I think might be uneeded, and I don't want Felton to be Alchemy. I'm really not happy with this season. 

SO I am going to take this piece by piece.(good lord splitting that up and redoing all the spoiler tags was a pain.  should have just done it all in one chunk)

5 hours ago, Ookla the Left said:
Spoiler

I skipped the tiny bit of the super girl episode, it didn't sound like it was important and I just can't get behind the writing for show. Flash was....seriously weak. Everyone's hating on Barry, and while it kinda makes sense, it also feels forced, and the resolution felt even more forced. Kara seems really cool when she's on this earth, I enjoyed her being a part of the crossover even if I don't like her show very much. 

Spoiler

Supergirl is the strong point of her show, I'm not sure that show would even be tolerable if they had cast someone else.  though it is better this year than last.

to the rest, everyone giving Barry a hard time was seriously frustrating.  Dig's complaint at least made sense, but both Sara (I'm going to kill the Darhk in the past) and Cisco (Barry, please travel back in time and save my brother) were being super hypocritical.  Plus Barry has already learned the lesson they are all trying to teach.  like 5 episodes ago.  I;m sick of the show repeating it.

Spoiler

So, anyway, the villains were....bleh. Their motivation was okay, but their methods and fear factor were awful. 

Firestorm can transmute things? Oh yeah, I guess that was a thing. That power's been so neglected I forgot about it. 

agreed on both counts

Spoiler

Are there some serious time traveling plot holes going on or is it just me? Like, they saved the alien, which they said caused the follow up invasion, but they wouldn't have saved the alien if it weren't for the invasion. Future Barry warns against past Barry, but could only have done so if he'd survived the invasion, so he should have known better than to send a warning. Those are the two big ones I noticed. 

Spoiler

par for the course.  neither Legends nor Flash is all that good at consistent time travel rules (seriously, don't get me started on all the nonsense from Flash on time travel.  my biggest pet peeve with them).  I think the logic of the invasion one is that them saving the alien in the past made the future invasion worse, somehow (and hence Cisco's eventual reconciliation with Barry: he had messed with the timeline to try to do a good thing, but it ended up having disastrous consequences), but that definitely was not clear.

Spoiler

Prof. Stein doesn't see his daughter as real. Than decides that because she can science she's awesome and he loves her? Wow....that's ouch... 

Spoiler

I think this was supposed to be read as he didnt want to get close to her because it is sort of his job to remove her from the timeline, but when he was working with her, he just couldnt avoid getting closer to her.  end result is he now is going to try not to delete her from the timeline, even though that means leaving an "aberration" in place.  I think the show really needed more time to properly handle this, though.

Spoiler

So the Legends episode was definitely the strongest, although the Arrow one was pretty decent. On the whole though, I didn't like the crossover very much and would've preffered several smaller crossover episodes. 

Spoiler

I agree.  the crossover was fun, but it was too overstuffed, and felt too crowded.  also, a massive crossover like that really needs to be its own focus, the fact that each episode furthered their own show's general plots is good for them, but bad for the crossover as a whole.  for it to really work, they need a few things:
1. a big bad that feels sufficiently threatening to warrant a team-up
2. heavy focus on the events of the episodes, without having to do any heavy lifting for their own series
3. honestly, better special effects and/or effects budgeting.  this sort of thing should be an effects blowout, but that means you need to spend some money on it.  it may mean trimming back elsewhere.
All of which points me to 2 possibilities for future megacrossovers:
1. set it earlier in the season, before the status quo has had a chance to break down too much, so the crossover eps don't feel like they need to move the various plots along too much (build on character relationships, but don't change things too much)
2. if you are going to put it anywhere else, use the rest of the season on all the shows to build to it.  this would require a lot of coordination, but you could imagine something like the legion of doom or cadmus being a big bad across multiple shows with the final showdown including all the heroes.  (for me, ideally, if they ever try for a full on justice league show, this is how they end the other shows)

Edited by Dunkum
forgot a spoiler tag

• 5 weeks later...

Only just caught up on all 4 shows' seasons from 2015/2016. 

Arrow I found to be a little draggy but the first half was pretty dope. The whole not telling felicity about William could have been avoided if he'd said something really vague about being sworn to secrecy and that he really couldn't tell her.

Flash...I found Barry to be a lot whinier than was necessary but still a good season. Would have preferred Wally to be the son from the future but...eh. Cisco as Vibe/Reverb is definitely one of the best moments. It'll be a long time before I can see the current series but I was seriously hoping for more adverse and beneficial effects due to Flashpoint, especially if it reverberates across the other shows (Laurel coming back to life as Earth 2 Black Siren but good instead)

Legends....overall, I quite liked it but time travel shows will always annoy me when they don't keep the science rules consistent. Seeing as how they ended the show and killed Savage in three different time periods, surely the whole him taking over scenario should never have happened...unless because it wasn't done by chay-ara. Just...ergh.

Supergirl, I actually really loved this show although the forced romance between kara and jimmy is just...blargh. Kat is my fave although Melissa has actually brought Kara to life in ways I wouldn't have expected

• 2 weeks later...

I have been busy with work lately, so I am only now getting around to watching the first half's of these seasons- or, more accurately, watch everything up to the Invasion crossover, then watch that as a three hour celebration. :ph34r:

In the meantime... Flash, I'm generally liking. Another speedster big bad is kind of boring. I like how they differentiate the three speedsters from one another (the obsessive, the serial killer, the god) but still. I was really hoping that the Savitar news was a misdirect, and Doctor Alchemy was going to be the main villain this year.

Honestly, I'm starting to think it's either a lack of creativity on the writers part, or lack of trust in their audience. Either they can't come up with a threatening arc villain that isn't a speedster, or they don't think the audience will believe it. Savitar's Megatron-like look is... a little odd, but y'know what? It kind of makes sense. Why would a god look like a human? Dunno if they're ever going to explain the connection to Hinduism though...

Arrow has had a huge upturn in quality from last year. They kind of keep hitting some of the same beats with the recruits I think (how many times are Oliver and Renee going to play out their antagonism?) but that might be because I burned seven episodes in a day so it was more noticeable. Prometheus is a threatening guy, albeit it Arrow going back to the Slade Wilson/Malcolm Merlyn well... though given those two were the best villains and Arrow desperately needs to refind it's feet this year, I can let it pass. 

Especially sicne it's working. I dislike some of the plot that carried over from last season - Laurel's death was a complete waste - but the focus back on crime and making it a gritty drama definitely is an improvement. The new recruits are such a fresh injection of blood, and I'm glad that the romance has been dialed so far back.  Also, Bratva! And Prometheus theory

I hate to say it, but my forerunning candidate is Tommy. I really hope that's not the case, because in my mind, Tommy is one of the most heroic and noble characters in the Arrowverse, and to see him be turned into the villain would be distressing...

But he's also the only one who really fits right now. Prometheus is wearing a mask, so presumably it's a face we'll recognize, and Tommy would be someone who would make an impact with his reveal. And.... Arrow has stolen from Batman before. :ph34r: One of Bruce's villains has been described as "former childhood best friend who terrorised Gotham by whispering menacingly for a year", which kind of matches Prometheus so far.

Motice is the big let down because... well, nothing has really indicatedTommy being a villainous guy. Unless it was spurred by the death of Laurel, that would be the major let down. On the other hand, Promethus' plan involved revealing to everyone that Oliver had a kill list and feeding off their disgust for that... which was exactly Tommy's reaction to Oliver being a serial killer in season one.

I'm only just starting Legends, so no comments yet. :ph34r:

59 minutes ago, Quiver said:

I have been busy with work lately, so I am only now getting around to watching the first half's of these seasons- or, more accurately, watch everything up to the Invasion crossover, then watch that as a three hour celebration. :ph34r:

In the meantime... Flash, I'm generally liking. Another speedster big bad is kind of boring. I like how they differentiate the three speedsters from one another (the obsessive, the serial killer, the god) but still. I was really hoping that the Savitar news was a misdirect, and Doctor Alchemy was going to be the main villain this year.

Honestly, I'm starting to think it's either a lack of creativity on the writers part, or lack of trust in their audience. Either they can't come up with a threatening arc villain that isn't a speedster, or they don't think the audience will believe it. Savitar's Megatron-like look is... a little odd, but y'know what? It kind of makes sense. Why would a god look like a human? Dunno if they're ever going to explain the connection to Hinduism though...

Arrow has had a huge upturn in quality from last year. They kind of keep hitting some of the same beats with the recruits I think (how many times are Oliver and Renee going to play out their antagonism?) but that might be because I burned seven episodes in a day so it was more noticeable. Prometheus is a threatening guy, albeit it Arrow going back to the Slade Wilson/Malcolm Merlyn well... though given those two were the best villains and Arrow desperately needs to refind it's feet this year, I can let it pass. 

Especially sicne it's working. I dislike some of the plot that carried over from last season - Laurel's death was a complete waste - but the focus back on crime and making it a gritty drama definitely is an improvement. The new recruits are such a fresh injection of blood, and I'm glad that the romance has been dialed so far back.  Also, Bratva! And Prometheus theory

Hide contents

I hate to say it, but my forerunning candidate is Tommy. I really hope that's not the case, because in my mind, Tommy is one of the most heroic and noble characters in the Arrowverse, and to see him be turned into the villain would be distressing...

But he's also the only one who really fits right now. Prometheus is wearing a mask, so presumably it's a face we'll recognize, and Tommy would be someone who would make an impact with his reveal. And.... Arrow has stolen from Batman before. :ph34r: One of Bruce's villains has been described as "former childhood best friend who terrorised Gotham by whispering menacingly for a year", which kind of matches Prometheus so far.

Motice is the big let down because... well, nothing has really indicatedTommy being a villainous guy. Unless it was spurred by the death of Laurel, that would be the major let down. On the other hand, Promethus' plan involved revealing to everyone that Oliver had a kill list and feeding off their disgust for that... which was exactly Tommy's reaction to Oliver being a serial killer in season one.

I'm only just starting Legends, so no comments yet. :ph34r:

Spoiler

So I'm not the only one thinking that the most likely candidate for Prometheous is Tommy. That makes me feel a bit better, cause none of my friends believe me. They don't have any other theories though haha. 
Basically, yeah, what you said. Tommy fits into this really well except that the motive would be weak. But as I've been saying, there's been a lot of redirecting the show back towards the first season and a bit of the second, and Tommy is the only character that fits into that theme. (Excluding Arsenal because motive would be even stranger, they should recognize him, and I assume the actor still doesn't want to come back.) 

• 3 weeks later...

Yo yo yo!!! Midseason break is finally over! Time for the episode break down. 

First of all, I want to lead with my opinion that all three shows( sorry supergirl, I just don't pay attention to you) had REALLY strong episodes this week. 

Flash: 

Spoiler

Almost everything worked for me in this episode. There was a lot of drama and issues between the characters, but it felt real, it felt like they actually worked through it, and then they fixed it. Example. Caitlyn starts panicking about her dampener bracelets, goes to the guys to try to get some help, gets some push back, but in the end they collaborate and fix the problem. Perfect. 
My biggest problem this season has been how whiney everyone has been, and in this episode it felt like there was a huge step away from that and towards real problem solving and character development. Barry gets help to fix time instead of just moaning about it. They make a plan. It just makes me so happy. If this keeps up Flash will be back on my good side. 

Legends: 

Spoiler

I really like having it right after Flash, especially since it seems like it'll make it easier to cross the two shows over much easier. And lets face it, Legends and Flash should cross over far more than Legends and Arrow. 

So, basically, I can see no wrong with this episode. It was sooooo well done. George Lucas, the Legion of Doom, Stein and Mick, and oh my gosh! amnesiac Rip is way more likable than Cap Rip. He always seemed incredibly monotone as the Captain, but his acting in this episode was great, it was a huge breath of fresh air. 

I am sad that Snart didn't make an actual appearance, but Mick talking to him still worked pretty well. I'm just enjoying this season so much, espicially when I look back at how frustrated I was with the first season. I can't really think of anything else to add. 

Arrow: 

Spoiler

Hmmm, where to start....

I really appreciate them bringing back Black Siren, it was a great way to push the characters in new ways without having a new villain of the week. It also helped keep the links between shows strong, and since she was introduced she really did need to come to Arrow at some point. I think I may have enjoyed Laural E2 more than I ever liked Earth 1 Laural. 

Felicity acting as more of a commander than a computer girl was pretty neat, I wouldn't mind seeing more of it. 

Curtis's character growth has seriously been needed, and I think his confrontation with Rene was a great way to do it. His line about "what if my doppleganger is straight" was pretty funny too. 

I haven't thought much about the DA lately, but wow, out of nowhere he might be my favorite character added this season. He's got some serious charisma going on, and his scenes were really fun while being serious. It's a bit like having a bit of Gotham over here in Star City really, and I love it. 

I'll agree withe pretty much everything you said about Flash and Legends, with the addendum that Darhk and Merlyn as a villain team works amazingly well.  Reverse Flash doesn't hurt, but he is nowhere near either of their levels in terms of how fun he is to watch.  also, I loved the meta-jokes that had digging into their first season's weaknesses.

For Arrow: I am optimistic about it, but it hasn't quite gotten to the level where I can give it full-throated praise.  for this specific episode:

Spoiler

I feel like the black siren plot was a pretty decent idea, and reasonably well executed, but it sort of felt out of nowhere.  I dunno, somethign about it just wasn't clicking for me.  do agree about Curtis's development.  about time he realized he needs to do more tech stuff.

and though you're not covering it: Supergirl.  This week's episode was pretty good, and if i'm being honest, I'd rank this season of Supergirl above the last 2 seasons of Arrow and the last year of Flash (back half of season 2, beginning half of season 3).  it has its problems, but it is nowhere near as mopey and boring as those shows were at their worst.  about 90% of this comes down to the show's inherent optimism, which is part of what I liked about the first season and a half of the Flash, and is somethign that I will be glad to see if it does return on that show.  for what it is worth, as of the midseason break this year, my rankings for these shows this year is :

1. Legends - easily the winner of "Most Improved" award.  we are talking Parks and Rec level improvement from season 1 to season 2.  they dropped the worst pieces of the show, grabbed some of the potential best bits from the other shows, and then improved some of the decent, but not extraordinary pieces from last year.  it is easily the most fun of these shows, and as long as you can ignore some of the dumber bits it is probably one of the most fun shows on tv right now.

2. Supergirl - another show in the much improved category.  last season was watchable almost exclusively because Melissa Benoist was basically perfectly cast as Supergirl.  her and a couple of the main cast around her carried the show, lord knows the writers and villain were only dragging it down.  so far this season has broadened the show's scope a bit in a way that is working for it, and has added a couple good characters to balance out losing Cat Grant (your mileage may vary on her, but I thought she mostly worked).  still a couple problem pieces, but like I said, there is an optimism to this show that is sort of infectious.  it goes a long way

3. probably Flash - it was a little hard to pick between Arrow and Flash this year, because they are both coming off some pretty low points, but Flash has a couple things going for it (Cisco, Joe West, whatever version of Harrison Wells that Tom Cavanaugh feels like playing this season) that give it an edge.  Still, up to the midseason break, so not including this weeks ep, it had not managed to fully course correct from the end of last season.  that said, the future is lookign brighter, so we will see.

4. Arrow - they dug themselves a pretty deep hole in the last 2 years, but they are also coming out of it much faster than Flash is, ironically.  finally getting the Russia flashbacks helps, especially since Anatoli is a lot of fun, and Dolph Lundgren plays a fantastic villain.  I think for me personally, this show was always going to be the lowest though, the others are more inclined to a sort of sunniness that is just easier to like.  Arrow is darker and mroe dramatic, but that means it can't just lean on its cast's chemistry to pull it up, it needs better writing and better villains in order for it to feel like it is on even ground with the others.  but when ti does that well, it can come off amazing.  season 2 might be the best season any of these have done, and season 4 could have been great (every scene with Darhk was) but a lot of the writing was just horrid.

Okay, I admit it: I spoiled myself on Arrow. I wanted to know how the cliffhanger got resolved.

Black Siren is the really obvious answer, but hey, nothing wrong with obvious once in a while. I'm hoping she comes back, and they maybe try to redeem her? I've actually kind of grown to like Laurel; as bad as season 3 and 4 were, Laurel was actually one of the bright spots, so her dath felt like a waste.

(I mean, really. I'm enjoying Adrian Chase, but Mayor Oliver Queen and District Attorney Laurel Lance, crime fighting duo? Much better idea.)

... And, I admit, my desire for her to come back is because I still don't entirely trust the show runners when it coems to writing Felicity. Yes, she's been better this season... but she was okay at the start of season 4 as well, then the William thing happened and...
Anyway. Between the fact that she has started training, and the showerunners saying that "There will always be a Black Canary", and Black Canary and Green Arrow being famous as a couple, and the Olicity thing...

Look, I do not want Felicity Smoak Black Canary, okay?

6 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Okay, I admit it: I spoiled myself on Arrow. I wanted to know how the cliffhanger got resolved.

Hide contents

Black Siren is the really obvious answer, but hey, nothing wrong with obvious once in a while. I'm hoping she comes back, and they maybe try to redeem her? I've actually kind of grown to like Laurel; as bad as season 3 and 4 were, Laurel was actually one of the bright spots, so her dath felt like a waste.

(I mean, really. I'm enjoying Adrian Chase, but Mayor Oliver Queen and District Attorney Laurel Lance, crime fighting duo? Much better idea.)

... And, I admit, my desire for her to come back is because I still don't entirely trust the show runners when it coems to writing Felicity. Yes, she's been better this season... but she was okay at the start of season 4 as well, then the William thing happened and...
Anyway. Between the fact that she has started training, and the showerunners saying that "There will always be a Black Canary", and Black Canary and Green Arrow being famous as a couple, and the Olicity thing...

Look, I do not want Felicity Smoak Black Canary, okay?

Spoiler

Oh stormfather.....I hadn't thought of that.....I really might quit Arrow if she ever does become the Black Canary. It will not work. Period. It'd be better to create a new Huntress or involve one of the Al'ghuls, and I hate Nyssa. 

I really kind of hope that they Don't redeem black siren. I think it would feel very off after the way the episode ended, and honestly, I've never been that fond of Katie Cassidy. I know she has her fans, but I've never enjoyed her very much. 

So....actually, I'd never thought about it before right now, but a new Huntress would actually be really cool. She was great back in season 1 (?) and considering how Arrow has been trying to get back to its roots, a new huntress could fit right in. The show was at its best during season 1 and season 2, and I think if the DA becomes a major player, someone in the vein of Huntress or Arsenal takes Artemis's place, and Curtis and Felicity do what they should be doing, then Arrow can finally get back on its feet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, another week, another review series. 

Flash 

Spoiler

.....That was really good. I'll wait for the next episode before I for sure say that this season has turned itself around, but I'm really hopeful. Cisco finally had some great moments again, maybe his best yet. HR's coffee addiction finally makes a bit more sense. I thought Iris's time was decent, it was at least hopeful which is what Flash needs to be. I'm not really sure how I feel about Kid Flash. 
Overall, I'm really really happy, and I hope that this quality keeps up. 

Legends

Spoiler

Awwwwhhhhh Yeah!!! Legends is the bomb! The Legion of Doom was beautiful, I loved having so much time with those three having to work together. Seeing Zoom/Black Flash in his new role as a speed wraith was really cool. 
The team was great, Grey confronting the rest of the consequences of his interference with the timeline was well done, and Mick is growing on me more and more. 
This show has just been incredibly solid this season and I'm enjoying it every week. 

Arrow

Spoiler

Ugh....Yeah....So.....Gosh darn it Arrow! What is going on with this show?....I'm just getting bored at this point, it's just.....why?......