The Arrowverse

Quiver

Which, as I understand it, would be a drastic improvement for her. I haven't watched Supergirl, but the whole Superman thing is one of the biggest problems I hear from people about the show/writing.

I'm on episode three, so I couldn't really say. At this point, I'm thinking I'll get Arrow/Flash/Legends done, then start bingewatching Supergirl once the season is complete. 

Which, as I understand it, would be a drastic improvement for her. I haven't watched Supergirl, but the whole Superman thing is one of the biggest problems I hear from people about the show/writing.

id say that's an exaggeration, but it is a real problem the show has.  its a bit worse earlier on, in fact, when they tend to do a lot of vague references to him, generally as "Him" or "The man in blue" or "My/Your cousin" something like that. it gets distracting.

I kinda like the idea of a clean start.  especially if it means we get to see reactions to her/her powers from Diggle, Cisco, and Joe.  I wouldn't be averse to some vaguely paternal eye-rolls from Ollie either.  as long as they keep her character pretty consistent with how she was played on CBS

in my ideal world, we'd probably get about one or two more seasons for each of these shows, then they would just do a giant 4-way crossover finale that leads into a full-on Justice league show the next year.  between them all, you legitimately have a lot of very good heroes available.

id say that's an exaggeration, but it is a real problem the show has.  its a bit worse earlier on, in fact, when they tend to do a lot of vague references to him, generally as "Him" or "The man in blue" or "My/Your cousin" something like that. it gets distracting.

I kinda like the idea of a clean start.  especially if it means we get to see reactions to her/her powers from Diggle, Cisco, and Joe.  I wouldn't be averse to some vaguely paternal eye-rolls from Ollie either.  as long as they keep her character pretty consistent with how she was played on CBS

in my ideal world, we'd probably get about one or two more seasons for each of these shows, then they would just do a giant 4-way crossover finale that leads into a full-on Justice league show the next year.  between them all, you legitimately have a lot of very good heroes available.

Ollie's reaction to her would be hilarious. I can see him complaining that, between her and Barry, heroes keep getting younger and younger.

...also. Justice League? With Supergirl, we'd have a pretty solid Trinity. Science (Barry), Alien (Kara), Magic (Ollie).

...oh my god.

Oliver Queen is Arrowverse Wonder Woman. He's from an island, he's willing to use violence if necessary, and he dabbles in magic!

plus it would be an excuse to bring in people like Constantine or Jonah Hex more often.  I've also seen people calling for The Question (full paranoid conspiracy theory version) which could be great.  but even just with what they have: Flash, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Atom, Firestorm, Vixen, Martian Manhunter, maybe even the Huntress and Wildcat

I hope that the Supergirl season starts out just picking up where the last season left off--still in a separate universe and everything--but when the crossover episode week comes along, they do a mini-Crisis on Infinite Earths that lasts four episodes (that is, Supergirl, then Flash, then Arrow, then Legends--all in the one week). After that, Supergirl is in the CWverse.

gah, that Flash finale...I just...I don't understand how they got so many things so wrong.  Why on Earth did they decide to make Flash so much darker?  that is the opposite of what every single person I have seen said that they wanted. 

side note: I'm not sure whether Flash or Legends of Tomorrow has more nonsensical time travel rules, but the worst part is they are different nonsensical time travel rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Legends of Tomorrow's UK finale is this week, so I'm getting caught up on the show in prep for that. Then, finally getting started on Supergirl.

Three things I've noticed:

-Brandon Routh would have made a great Superman if he'd been allowed to channel even a fraction of his Ray.

-Mick is a fascinating character. I liked him earlier in the season, where he seemed like he had unexplored depths; great to see him getting some attention.

-This show is absolutely nonsensical. Entertaining, absolutely, and I'm glad it exists, but damnation if it's rules make negative sense. Still a fun ride though; they do spectacle well.

-Caity Lotsz is awesome. And yes, tat means these are four points, but really, you could say Caity Lotz is awesome anywhere and it would be true.

the thing abotu mick is he was completely boring when he first showed up on Flash., the one thing that the writers of Legends managed to do right was to make him a much more fun character.  he went from being an utterly forgetable villain in Flash to being one of the top 3 characters in Legends.

I don't know if I'd say he was forgettable, but the writers definitely focused more on Snart, and overshadowed him.

Mick saving Ray way back at the prison was probably his first signs of being more than he seemed.

(Him now being, like, the most experienced team member is an interesting twist too)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've finished Legends; now that the UK has finished Supergirl,I'm getting started on that.

Funny Arrow season 5 news though.

Apparently that girl who stole the Black Canary stuff in season 4 will be returning... as Artemis.

I find it funny, since I was thinking the other day about trying to write a fanfic featuring Artemis in the Arrowverse..then read that it will be happening in canon.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it was at least almost on par so far, I'm about halfway through. I don't have high opinions of Arrow and Flash for acting/script, though, so I wasn't expecting top notch. All 3 are entertaining despite that, though. :-)

jW

I'd rate it higher than arrow season 3 and 4, and probably higher than the second half of flash season 2.  but basically: any time Snart, Sara, or Rory are talking, Legends is entertaining (plus at least some of the times when Martin, Ray, or Rip are), but whenever Kendra, Vandal, or Carter start talking, it gets very bad very fast.  Carter, in particular, is an utter black hole of charisma from which no scene can escape.

11 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

But that's okay as Carter is dead for now right? I think I'll continue with the show after all. 

he pops in and out (due to the combo of reincarnation and time travel), but is never really that big of a character, fortunately.

On 7/21/2016 at 8:14 PM, Dunkum said:

Carter, in particular, is an utter black hole of charisma from which no scene can escape.

Well, at least it's comics accurate!

Nah, but seriously... I liked Legends well enough. It's certainly a show which, I think, works better on the ction and the spectacle rather than the characterization, which is a shame in a sense; there was a lot of potential. I'm a big fan of both immortality and time travel as concepts, but the Hawk storyline never quite worked out for me, and one of these days I'll finally get around to writing my post as to why...

Still overall? It is an enjoyable show. Sara has been fascinating from day one, and I thought Ray was fine, if under-serviced by Arrow; this show let's him do a lot better, even if some abrupt story line changes clearly happened behind the scenes and altered stuff with him. Mick is also, surprisingly, pretty awesome, so there's that.

Basically... a flawed first season, and certainly not as strong as Arrow or Flash's inaugural seasons... but there is a lot of potential in the concept, and I'm hoping season two capitalizes on that. 

(But seriously, the action scenes on that show are pretty awesome.)

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Dunkum said:

don't know if anyone saw this yet, but apparently Berlanti is looking at doing a Black Lightning show in addition to all the rest:

http://www.avclub.com/article/greg-berlanti-making-another-dc-comics-superhero-s-242038

This would be quite a good move. Interesting

• 1 month later...

Well, the Arrowverse is back! Actually, they've been stateside for a few weeks now; the UK just started last week, and I just finished the second episode of Flash.

My main takeaway from it?

John Wesley Shipp was okay as Henry Allen...but the dude has so much more

presence as Jay. I've always liked Jay Garrick for some reason, but his appearance in this episode, brief as it was, was awesome.

I haven't gotten back into most of these shows yet, but I have been watching Legends of tomorrow (apparently I have more time thursday evenings) and it is miles better than last season.  this is basically 100% due to them ditching Vandal Savage and the Hawkpeople.

I'm also glad that all the reviews I have seen so far indicate that supergirl, arrow, and flash are looking better than last season.  so I will probably catch up with them eventually.

11 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I haven't gotten back into most of these shows yet, but I have been watching Legends of tomorrow (apparently I have more time thursday evenings) and it is miles better than last season.  this is basically 100% due to them ditching Vandal Savage and the Hawkpeople.

Legends starts this week, but I'm working, so... just settling for recording. I am cautiously optimistic though; the JSA are awesome, so having them around should be fun.

Though, it is a disappointment to see that Savage and the Hawks didn't work out. I've said elsewhere, an immortal is the perfect enemy for a time traveller, and the fact that last season couldn't live up to it's potential plot-wise is very disappointing.

(The action scenes with all the Legends last year were awesome though, and I hope that quality stays in play)

So yeah, I've been keeping up with the three "brothers" (Flash, Arrow, Legends,) but I just can't like Supergirl. I like the concept of Supergirl, but I don't like the characters/writing although the acting and effects are great. 

I didn't like the premier of Flash, but it's been getting better. The way they're dealing with multiple timelines seems to be working better this season. 

Arrow: So far so good. Having Church and Black Archer, dark arrow, whatever his name is, is great! It's something that would've been great in the past two seasons and helped make season 2 the best. 

Legends: YASSSSS, finally! It's finally living up to its potential, although I do miss Snart. I'm loving this duo dynamic between RFlash and Damien. 

I'm also watching Gotham season three. It's not the same tv verse, but it's related. This season hasn't been as crazy fun and full of laughs as the last season, but it's getting better. 

9 hours ago, Quiver said:

Though, it is a disappointment to see that Savage and the Hawks didn't work out. I've said elsewhere, an immortal is the perfect enemy for a time traveller, and the fact that last season couldn't live up to it's potential plot-wise is very disappointing.

agree with this.  it was a shame they couldn't make Hawkgirl (one of the best characters in the Justice League cartoon) or Vandal Savage work.  but I am glad they realized it and dropped them.  the show is massively improved without them dragging it down.

3 hours ago, LeftVash said:

So yeah, I've been keeping up with the three "brothers" (Flash, Arrow, Legends,) but I just can't like Supergirl. I like the concept of Supergirl, but I don't like the characters/writing although the acting and effects are great.

I can understand not liking the writing, last year it was mostly garbage, with a few gems hidden in there.  but Melissa Benoist as Supergirl/Kara Danvers is fantastic.  she basically carried the show last year, and was consistently good even when given mediocre to bad writing.  i havent caught up this season yet, btu everything seems to indicate that, much like legends, it is improving substantially, so it actually currently beats out Flash (with an atrocious back half of their last season) and Arrow (two terrible seasons in a row, Damien Darhk notwithstanding) in terms of what I am lookign forward to.