The Rithmatist

WeiryWriter

I figured we should discuss a plan of attack for wiki articles on The Rithmatist.  This way we don't duplicate any effort.

I've been taking notes mostly on the Rithmatic defenses and Armedius Academy (curicula, faculty, staff, etc.).

I can't particularly remember having such a policy. Just remember to add a {{spoiler}} tag at the top of the article (directly below the infobox). It might be worth getting a list together of (red-)links that need to be made, so we can add it to the 'to be made' list. Eric's the one to ask about timing though.

There is no restriction on new content on the wiki; you simply need to add a Spoiler tag. Though honestly, if you are going to the wiki for Rithmatist stuff, you probably should expect that the stuff you are finding would have some spoilers :P I typically feel the spoiler warning is more useful for cosmere stuff, because one click can lead you to spoilers in new content. But for a new series like this, I'm less concerned.

After all, Windy has already written an excellent article on the Tai-na, which takes information from the Rysn interlude in Words of Radiance. Long story short, if the content is publicly available, it is fair game to be on the wiki. What is not fair game would be say, things like White Sand, if someone has been lucky enough to read that.

Anyway, back to Rithmatist. I've compiled some Rithmatist topics that should get articles: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Coppermind:Articles_to_be_written#The_Rithmatist I probably missed minor characters and a few names of the United Isles. I last read it for pleasure, instead of taking careful notes :)

I personally think we don't need articles for each Isle, so we should list any information on particular islands on the United Isles of America page. But countries, like JoSeun, should get their own articles.

There is a lot of terminology with Rithmatics, so I'm not sure how you all want to do things. But I kind of feel that for now, let's put magic information in the Rithmatics article, rather than making individual articles on, say, Lines of Vigor. I'd rather have one really, really awesome article on Rithmatics, instead of distributing the information. However, in later Rithmatist books this could change. What do you think? (Also, you could make an argument that "Inception" could be in the Rithmatics article, but I think discussing the inception ceremony is culturally significant and as a cultural element can be a separate article from Rithmatics, which would focus more on the mechanics of it all.)

I'll try to construct a Rithmatist series navbox tomorrow or the next day, I think.

Did I miss any topics that I should add to the Articles to be written thing? It's a protected page, so only staff can edit it, but just let me know and I'll add stuff :)

I need to read the book again...

I can't particularly remember having such a policy. Just remember to add a {{spoiler}} tag at the top of the article (directly below the infobox). It might be worth getting a list together of (red-)links that need to be made, so we can add it to the 'to be made' list. Eric's the one to ask about timing though.

Really? I was sure there was some kind of spoiler policy, because I was going to do one for Emperor's Soul, hmm must have been confusing with another wiki or something :S

The boards have a spoiler policy, but like Eric said we're pretty OK with all public spoilers on the wiki. As long as any super-new stuff is tagged with an alert (for up to 6 months?). We are, after all, striving to be as complete as possible.

• 3 years later...

I was noticing that the Rithmatist section needs some serious love, so I rewrote the main entry. Could you look it over and tell me what you think? I tried to be complete without getting sidetracked by details that don't contribute to the summary, and I'm not sure how well I balanced that. In particular, I left out the inception ceremony and the melee, since they didn't fit easily into the narrative flow. I feel fine leaving those bits for other sub-pages on the culture/magic system, but if you think it would be better to have them in the main article I am willing to be convinced.

I think your rewritten main entry sounds pretty good, although with your first paragraph I think you should reword it a little so it flows a bit better, changing some of the fullstops to commas. Some of it also seems a little too detailed; I'm not sure if the main summary is supposed to show the entire plot or not, but it seems a little too much for me. This is just a personal judgement, however.

Edited by A Budgie

Thanks, Budgie. I think you are right about having too much detail. I was trying to include all of the character tags from the previous article, and ended up with quite a bit more description than necessary. I've revised it again--let me know what you think.