The Rithmatist Impressions *Spoilers*

Chaos

I listened to this on audio as I love Kramer's narrating.  That said, I got done in less than a week and it was outstanding! It was almost Elantris meets Harry Potter which was fine by me.  When I say that, I don't mean to compare it to HP at all but for the school setting.

I was pretty bummed when Joel didn't become a rithmatist but like many others have said, you know he will.  For 1, the shadow thing was there to "latch" onto him but i believe it was scared of the electronic coin?  Didn't he have that with him?  I am not really sure about that theory but clearly it wanted to make him a rithmatist or else it wouldnt have been there.  

Either way it was kind of cool how it all ended and I definitely did not see all the twists and turns coming in play.  

Edited by Eggbert34

Finished this today and quite enjoyed it.  Loved it?  Aspects of it for sure.  Unfortunately, having been spoiled by big books like Mistborn, Warbreaker, Way of Kings, even Elantris...It just felt lacking.

I know, I know, YA novel.  Fine.

I was hoping Nalizar would not be a Snape clone, and was very pleased that Sanderson avoided that, though I really should not have been worried. 

United Isles of America.  Very neat idea that I liked.  Have a feeling the continent was broken up to better defend against chalklings.  Hope to find out the reason.

All in all, satisfied with the book.  Great work, Sanderson.  You astound me, sir.  Now get back to work! *cracks whip*

I really loved this book. I could scarcely put it down. The world and the magic were both great, but what sealed it for me was the characters. Joel, Fitch, Melody, the principle, Exton and the office lady (I forgot her name - was it Florence?). Fitch was a teacher I could only dream of having in high school. And I could really relate to Joel, because in high school, I was Joel. Not as brilliant by any stretch, but apathetic about and bored with school, anxious to study the things I wanted to know. Brandon nailed it.

Joel's teachers handled him mach better than my teachers handled me. That was another thing that was wonderful - the teachers. Caring and passionate in a way so many teachers, being beaten down by the system, just aren't.

The ending didn't bother me so much. Actually, I thought it was a great turn for the story to take, surprising and inevitable. I had Harding pegged as the Scribbler from early on, and had discarded Nalizar as an obvious red herring. Which he was. Until he wasn't...Brandon took my expectations and turned them inside out.

What did bother me is the length. YA books just don't feel complete to me anymore. In fact, this book could have served as act 1 in any of Brandon's other books. I was expecting it, but it still left me wanting more. (So did The Way of Kings, though...it's probably just the way Brandon writes.)

This book is fantastic! Unfortunately it arrived just before my last written exam. But yesterday I could finish it. I'm kind of proud because I translated only very few words and I still understand it  :D

I always thought Nalizar couldn't be the "bad guy" and I was right. And then I was wrong. Brandon is a genius!!

But it's a tragedy that we have now a series more to wait for the sequel!  :P

I actually quite like the real ending, instead of the climax with the scribbler (although both were good).  I feel that it was absolutely necessary to show Joel and Melony working together.  From Nalizar's reaction to their teamwork, I suspect that it will result in many other side effects in the larger world as well!  It may have felt like a prologue, and in many ways it was, but I suspect that the book (and *sigh* the series) would not hold together nearly as well without it.

It was YA, which in some ways was mixed.  The scale of a story doesn't always have to be epic for it to work, but I kind of missed the epicness.  On the other hand, there is a solid foundation for more intense stories to follow, and the background on the world shows a lot of promise.

Just finished the book.  I usually stay away from YA stuff, but since Brandon wrote it I couldn't help myself. 

I thought he did a great job setting up the next novel.  I'm really excited to see where he takes the story.  I will admit however that I was very bummed that Joel didn't become a Rithmatist.  I'm assuming somewhere down the line he will eventually get the Rithmatic powers, but Brandon did such a great job setting up how bad Joel wanted to become a Rithmatist you felt so bad for him when he wasn't chosen.  I'm sure it will be at least 2 years before we get the next novel, so the wait is gonna be tough.  At least we have book 2 of the Stormlight Archive to look forward to in the meantime. 

Finished the e-book and I loved it despite it being YA.

Now I'm too invested in too many of Brandon's characters and stories, I mean how many different series is he writing now? The waiting for sequals is killing me.

I liked the pacing of the Rithmatist and the confrontation between Joel and whatever has taken control of Nalizar (great twist :)). Although Joel thinks that no one will believe him I'm pretty sure that Melody will and that Fitch (my favourite character) will come around. I also think that   Brandon did a great job of the alternate history and that the South Americans know a lot about the wild chalklings, am hoping for a character from there in later books. I liked that Joel didn't get powers, I'm sure I remember reading a quote from Brandon or someone who had read the book that described Joel as Hermione without the magic, I thought this to right after finishing it but I do think that he will get powers eventually so that we kind find out more about Nebrask in later novels.

Now I just need WoR (83% through 1st draft :D).  

(edited a too to a to)

Edited by sonNeturo

I really loved it! And like the other series I can't wait for next book!

I don't have any problems with the "homework". I could ignore them if I want, and a few of the questions gave an interesting insight into Branond's own thoughts/intentions with the book.

I havent been able to find those questions. Are they only in some versions? What were they?

• 2 weeks later...

From the start I called Harding being evil, for much the same reasons the characters did later. That, and the horse on the cover made me naturally suspicious for some reason. Like so many, I instantly discarded Nalizar as a suspect as he was so often the focus of suspicion, so I guess Brandon got me there. I was sad to call from the start that Joel wouldn't be made a Rithmatist, but part of what makes the story interetsing is the fact that he doesn't have magic, and I highly doubted Brandon would take that away in book one.

All in all, I really liked it. The opening does feel a little off, but I liked the ending just fine. Book two will probably take that commonly complained about confession from Nalizar and make some use of it. above all, I like the feel of rithmatics. I'd probably do what Joel did if I were in this world. It's just so cool.

I thought Nalizar had to be guilty, since otherwise he'd be Snape.

I was satisfied that he wasn't Snape when

(oh, I suppose this is Harry Potter spoilers, if anyone actually doesn't know)

"Snape" beat "Dumbledore" in a Rithmatic duel instead of killing him.

That was enough subversion of Snape parallel for me; after it I didn't care how it went. :)

Edited by Morsk